PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad and the Ugly--Your LYS!

Chel
03-12-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought that in light of AineePooh's thread regarding her recent LYS visit, I thought we could take a moment to share info on our LYS's-complete with location and why we like them.

Personally, I planned my vacation last year around Yarn Shops that I could visit on the way to and from my best friends wedding. In doing so I found a store I LOVE!!! Of course it is in Ohio and I am in Maryland, but perhaps my info would help someone who lives near there or plans on passing through.

My *Thumbs up* list:

Lambikins Hideaway (www.lambikinshideaway.com)
217 South B Street
Hamilton, OH 45013
Its HUGE by LYS standards. Great selection, lots of sale priced yarn. An entire wall of Mmmmmalabrigo-(I laid against it). Great selection-and only an 11 hour drive from me!!! :wall:

The Celtic Knot Yarn Shop (www.thecelticknotyarnshop.com)
8480 Baltimore National Pike
Suite 426
Ellicott City, MD 21043
I love the environment here. Large and open and airy with the most comfortable couch ever. Very inviting to drop by and knit a bit. A very nice selection, staff very friendly and helpful. This shop holds a special place in my :heart:

Crazy For Ewe (www.crazyforewe.com)
22715 Washington St. (on the Square)
Leonardtown, MD
Lots of Noro! A nice selection of what I would consider more upscale yarns. The owner Ellen is wonderful. She is extremely pleasant and readily invites you to sit and knit a bit. The first time I walked in there I purchased 3 hanks of Misti Alpaca Chunky and knit an entire scarf in an afternoon while chatting away.

Springwater Fiber Workshop (www.springwaterfiber.org)
808 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Spinning, weaving, knitting Oh MY! This is a school for lovers of the fiber arts. They have a modest shop with a great selection. Staff is helpful but not overbearing. Larger than average book selection with seating to look them over.

Hunt Country Yarns (www.huntcountryyarns.com)
1 West Federal Street
Middleburg VA 20118-1206
I love the friendly staff, and the owner is a great guy. This shop has decent prices and a great selection. I have been able to find some yarns at prices well below other shops. Plus it has the benefit of being located in historic Middleburg Va. Lots of antique shops, a British Tea Room and shop (squee!) and a general old world feel that I just love. I am there at least 2x per month!!

Jeremy
03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
My LYS is actually not the closest one. Its Saybrook Yarn www.saybrookyarn.com in Old Saybrook CT. They have a big selection and really friendly people. They understand that you might buy yarn elsewhere but really repay your loyalty by doing stuff like keeping a record of your purchases for easy return without your slip, a knitting night on Thursdays for one dollar where there is always an instructor there who doesn't mind showing you how to do something or interpret a pattern etc. Interestingly, two (three if you count me I just taught Continental knitting there) are men.

I also really like the Yarn Barn www.theyarnbarn.com
in Woodbridge CT.

marykz
03-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Fiberworks
http://www.fiberworks4yarn.com/

17830 New Hampshire Ave
The Alloway Building - Suite 101
Ashton MD 20861-3641

Owner helpful, if a little prickly if she doesn't recognize you. definitely understands budgets, offered many useful yarn substitutions for something I wanted to make, didn't push. smallish supply of buttons, large variety of yarns of all types. pretty good selection of needles/ supplies/ bags. offers beginner classes. helped troubleshoot a project where I didn't buy anything for it at the shop. (of course, I bought Other stuff...)

Chel
03-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I have been looking at Fiberworks but haven't made it up there yet. See? This is what I am talking about. Next time I have a day off I am going to Ashton!!!!!!!! :teehee:

vaknitter
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I live in Charlottesville, VA and don't care for either of the LYS ... The Needle Lady on the Downtown Mall has great selection, however they are a little snooty and cater to people that do not work full-time and charge you for EVERYTHING - even advice and help !!

I have fallen in love with Limerick Fibers in Gordonsville, VA. The first time I walked in Paula was answering questions and showing me how to make i-cord and pick out yarns etc. They have a FREE knitting night every month, offer a wide range of classes from socks to spinning and dyeing your own yarn !! I love that it is owned by mother & daughter.

I know they carry a lot of Cascade and Plymouth yarns, but I usually go in looking for local stuff, I also stock up at the The Fall Fiber Festival that happens the first weekend in October he in VA which is a great source of local fibers (wool, alpaca, angora etc).

I am so jealous of those who have LYS to stop by, sit on the couch and knit away an evening or afternoon. I am so recharged by my monthly night out knitting - at 30 I am the youngest one there, but hey...

Chel
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Hehe now I have 2 new yarn stores to day-trip to!!!!! :muah: Keep it coming!!!!!!!!

Skater
03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
The Needle Lady on the Downtown Mall has great selection, however they are a little snooty and cater to people that do not work full-time and charge you for EVERYTHING - even advice and help !!Are you KIDDING?!?! :?? That's awful!

vaknitter
03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Not kidding at all - went in there when I was first learning to knit and asked if they could help clarify instructions for turning a heel in socks and the woman first critisized my yarn (granted didn't choose best quality wool for 1st pair of socks) then told me they have a knitting class on various days of the week all midday while some of us are working...when I told her I work fulltime do you have something on Sat or in the evening, she offered to answer my question for $10/hr !!! :!!!: I even gave them a second chance and asked them to order specific colors of Lambs Pride (which they carry) and then it never came in and when I questioned it never coming in they told me nobody that works there remembers seeing me in the store regularly so they could not do a special order !!!!!! :wall:

Yes, I'm still bitter

CateKnits
03-12-2007, 03:20 PM
The Yarn Garden in Annapolis isn't bad, but it's also not really worth a special trip. :shrug:

If anyone's ever in Rochester, Village Yarn Shop (I think that's what it's called) in Midtown is AMAZING in terms of selection. Wild Wools on South Ave is my favorite in terms of people, though. The lady that owns it is awesome and even remember me and my roommate AND what we'd last bought yarn for, even though we hadn't been in there in a couple of months.

Kaydee
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
If you're in Boston, go to Windsor Button. Its the only LYS I've gone to here, but the staff are really helpful. My first project that I was making didn't have anything about what kind of yarn to use, and the girl looked at the picture to help me figure out what weight I should be using (I had no clue!). I told her I wanted a green color so she showed me a few and told me how many skeins I would need (she was right on, I didn't have too much leftover). I also thought it was great that she showed me yarn in a variety of prices, not just the expensive stuff...she recommended with the amount of yarn I would need to get something that was a little cheaper. Its also not just a yarn store (there's stuff for sewing, etc), so if you need extras for a project you're likely to find them there. I'd definitely recommend it!

Contact info:
35 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111
617-482-4969
http://www.windsorbutton.com/

marykz
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Chel- sure- come on up to Ashton- I'll meet you for coffee. yummy french bakery just a mile or so away...... mmmmmmm coffee. Ashton is actually not as far away from No Va. as it sounds, suburban SIlver Spring, Burtonsville, Sandy SPring, Colesville are the neighboring towns.

My Mom loves Uniquities in Vienna Va- cute shop with super nice ladies. 421 D Church St NE
Vienna Va 22180
LOTS of lovely yarns of all types: And they don't charge you to oblivion- Mom found a 200 yd skein of Encore for me for less than $6 including tax. it is a wool/ acrylic blend (I think.)

DianaM
03-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Showers of Flowers (http://www.showersofflowers.com/)
6900 West Colfax Ave.
Lakewood, CO 80214

Only LYS I've been to.

Nice-sized store, large selection of fibers and patterns.

Downsides: Pricey, and if you mention getting things online, they'll chew you out. At least the owner/manager did. :!!!:

syndactylus
03-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I agree with windsor button, I have asked questions there that I knew were unwise and the owner is so nice and still doesn't think I'm insane.

And they do super-speedy special orders without deposits.

And will take back things without receipts and without necessarily the person you bought it from even in the store at the time.

luv2knit
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I have mixed feelings about our LYS. Somedays I go in and everyone is really nice, but there are two ladies there that are who won't give you the time of day if you aren't a regular. But they are sure helpful if you want to purchase something. They definitely treat you differently if are a regular, I have been in enough to see how they treat different customers. Their supplies and yarn are quite pricey and they really don't have large selection of yarns. From what I read on the forum and have seen in the nice knitting magazines, they don't even offer most of those. I will order if online if I want something really nice.

Only one lady really offers to help, but she isn't in there very often. Usually I have to wait my turn to get help, and then be quite direct, they won't just say hi and be helpful just off the bat. I have no problem waiting, but wish they could be a bit more friendly. That bugs me big time. They close early and don't' really offer for anyone to just come and knit. They even told one customer when I was there if you purchase yarn from our store we would be very glad to help you. I got the feeling that if you don't shop there then forgot even asking for help.

I have purchased yarn and supplies from my current LYS, but I admit I will try the chain store first, especially if I have a coupon. We have a lot of chain stores, like Micheal's and Joann's, but a few more.

I was fortunate on our last vacation to visit two yarn stores while in the Lake Tahoe/Reno area. I went to both Jimmy Beans Wool Stores and :heart: it. Everyone I talked with there was so nice and helpful. They had a lot of really quality yarn! I stopped at a LYS in the South Lake Tahoe area (can't remember the name, thinks it's call the "The Wool Tree.") At each place I bought some yarn and found my time at all both places to be a very positive experience.

I am definitely going to try another LYS that in close by in my area that I haven't had a chance to go visit. I saw their website and it seems like a really great place to visit and get help. (yarndogs (www.yarndogs.com//url))

So I understand the woes of those who aren't all that impressed with their LYS.

imported_Knitty_Kat
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I love one of my LYS! The Knitting Emporium (http://www.knittingemporium.com/) in Kennesaw is wonderful!

The Knitting Emporium
2803 S Main St
Kennesaw, Ga 30144
Phone: 770-421-1919

A lot of knitters in my area seem to like The Purly Gates. Now, perhaps I was "assisted" by someone different than they have been, but I wasn't impressed. Granted, when I called them to see if they had the Denise needle kit in stock, the lady I spoke to was very friendly. When I went to pick the set up, however, the woman who was working the shop at the time was incredibly rude. When I picked up a bag of wool roving to make some felted soaps with, she sneered at me and said, "you are aware that is not yarn, right?" like I was some sort of idiot. Plus, they are substantially more expensive than the Knitting Emporium.

jodstr2
03-12-2007, 09:10 PM
I have mixed feelings about our LYS. Somedays I go in and everyone is really nice, but there are two ladies there that are who won't give you the time of day if you aren't a regular. But they are sure helpful if you want to purchase something. They definitely treat you differently if are a regular, I have been in enough to see how they treat different customers. Their supplies and yarn are quite pricey and they really don't have large selection of yarns. From what I read on the forum and have seen in the nice knitting magazines, they don't even offer most of those. I will order if online if I want something really nice.

Only one lady really offers to help, but she isn't in there very often. Usually I have to wait my turn to get help, and then be quite direct, they won't just say hi and be helpful just off the bat. I have no problem waiting, but wish they could be a bit more friendly. That bugs me big time. They close early and don't' really offer for anyone to just come and knit. They even told one customer when I was there if you purchase yarn from our store we would be very glad to help you. I got the feeling that if you don't shop there then forgot even asking for help.

I am definitely going to try another LYS that in close by in my area that I haven't had a chance to go visit. I saw their website and it seems like a really great place to visit and get help. (yarndogs (www.yarndogs.com//url))

I have a guess as to the unnamed store you mention. I don't live very close to it but I went there a couple of times in early 2005. I got needles there.

Yarndogs is awesome. I'd go there more often if I didn't live so far away. casual, friendly, down-to-earth atmosphere. they have lots of Manos and Noro, and they may be the only south bay store to stock SWTC Karaoke. once they didn't have enough skeins of something rmturtle wanted, but they called someone to get more from offsite storage and brought it to her within 10 minutes. :thumbsup:

Commuknity:
http://www.commuknity.com
(San Jose)
another nice pleasant place. I ALWAYS get a friendly greeting and offers to help me find something. I just went there yesterday because I think they may be the only south bay store to stock Brittany 5" DPNs. I ended up buying 220 and Kureyon as well. they have a good selection of Noro and Cascade. :D

Purlescence:
http://www.purlescenceyarns.com
(Sunnyvale)
this is my localest LYS. everyone who works there is friendly and warm and I always get a pleasant greeting. they have SOCKS THAT ROCK, and a great Rowan and Cascade selection. good variety of bags and notions there as well. :heart:

Rug and Yarn Hut:
http://ewebwarped.stores.yahoo.net/
(Campbell)
this place has by far the biggest stock of Cascade 220 in the south bay. everyone who works there as well as hangs out there is super friendly and helpful. wonderful "family" atmosphere. :heart:

Knitting Arts:
http://www.goknit.com/
(Saratoga)
GORGEOUS store! I've only been there twice, as it's a bit far for me. but their KPPPM and Cherry Tree Hill selections are good, and they have a lot of patterns. I have to go there soon to check out their Lexie Barnes stock. :D

Uncommon Threads:
http://www.uncommonthreadsyarn.com/
(Los Altos)
I've heard a lot of negative reviews of this place, but fortunately I've never had a bad experience there. they've called me when more KPPPM and Kureyon came in, they've set books aside for me, and they've always greeted me when I walked in, and told me someone would be right with me when I stood in a line at the cashier. I think they have the best Nashua stock in the south bay. :D

Full Thread Ahead:
(Los Altos)
haven't been there yet.

Yarn Place:
(Sunnyvale)
haven't been there yet.

Knitters' Studio
(Menlo Park)
haven't been there yet.

a bit of a drive (2.5 hours from me), but worth it if you want to make a weekend out of it:
Filati
http://filatiyarn.com/
(Rocklin)
they have EVERYTHING. :heart:

Cristy
03-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Let me add another GA store to the list...There are several in the Atlanta area but none better than Knitch (http://www.knitchknitting.com/). Their full address is:

Knitch
1052 St. Charles Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30306

It's located in the Virginia/Highland district and hasn't been around for all that long. The owner and every worker there is SO helpful and very nice. It's not the largest selection but I'm willing to give up a little selection to get the better customer service and helpful attitude. If you want to shop online at knitch--click HERE (http://www.shopknitch.com).

IrishKnitter
03-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Okay, so after reading all this, who's ready to go on an LYS tour of the country?!? ME!!

Cristy
03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Yep...that would be awesome!!

hellokitty165
03-13-2007, 02:50 AM
Not kidding at all - went in there when I was first learning to knit and asked if they could help clarify instructions for turning a heel in socks and the woman first critisized my yarn (granted didn't choose best quality wool for 1st pair of socks) then told me they have a knitting class on various days of the week all midday while some of us are working...when I told her I work fulltime do you have something on Sat or in the evening, she offered to answer my question for $10/hr !!! :!!!: I even gave them a second chance and asked them to order specific colors of Lambs Pride (which they carry) and then it never came in and when I questioned it never coming in they told me nobody that works there remembers seeing me in the store regularly so they could not do a special order !!!!!! :wall:

Yes, I'm still bitter

BAD BUSINESS !!! my LYS charge $2 an hour only...chances is that you need their 10 mins and the rest of the 50 mins you are knitting aldy !

Emeraldcutie
03-13-2007, 03:53 AM
We don't have much in my area.

There are two stores in London, Ontario Canada

London Yarns. (no web site)
Okay selection, new owners who tend not to know answers.
Prices are not the greatest.

Pins and Needles (website has been down for a few weeks)
Never walked into the store, On the site it showed some very expensive stuff.
I made the mistake of emailing, as they indicated they had fiber trends patterns and I wanted the clogs one, and got the most useless email, just a single word, NO.
I was like "nice customer service". No offer of alternatives, no politeness what so ever.

There however is this yarn shop I really want to visit in Lansing, MI.
If anyone is in that area, please visit and then tell me about it. It has the most amazing sale prices, I emailed the owner in regards to a pattern he posted on Knitty and he responded the same day, I mentioned I loved knitting socks and he proceeded to tell me about the yarns they got, etc. He also sent me actual digital pictures of the sock yarn in the store so I could pick purchases, does not charge extra for packing and mailing the yarns and is extremely nice, they have a huge selection for knitters and spinners and are always getting new stuff, and there is always some sort of knitting meeting going on.

The shop is called Threadbear.
http://www.threadbearfiberarts.com/

I am almost glad I don't live near there, cause my credit card would never recover from the damage I would do to it.

I am planning a trip to the store in the summer and can't wait :)

Chel
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
When I want to go on vacation I don't want to waste my time in unfriendly yarn shops. This way I know where to go!!!!

msoebel
03-13-2007, 09:25 AM
There however is this yarn shop I really want to visit in Lansing, MI.
If anyone is in that area, please visit and then tell me about it. It has the most amazing sale prices, I emailed the owner in regards to a pattern he posted on Knitty and he responded the same day, I mentioned I loved knitting socks and he proceeded to tell me about the yarns they got, etc. He also sent me actual digital pictures of the sock yarn in the store so I could pick purchases, does not charge extra for packing and mailing the yarns and is extremely nice, they have a huge selection for knitters and spinners and are always getting new stuff, and there is always some sort of knitting meeting going on.

The shop is called Threadbear.
http://www.threadbearfiberarts.com/

I live an hour from Lansing. I too have been wanting to check out this store, but I haven't had an excuse to go down there in the last 6 months (and no, my dh doesn't see visiting the yarn store as an excuse to drive the hour :pout: ). I am hoping to go down sometime around my birthday in May...I have been checking out their website for the last 3 months.

Misty

mwedzi
03-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Oooh, Sandi, you went to Jimmy Beans Wool? I love them as an online store, such crazy speedy shipping!

Okay, my fave local yarn shop is Loopy Yarns in the south loop in downtown Chicago. Nice people, competitive pricing, large selection, particularly in sock yarn, relaxing place to sit and work. Just wish they had more crochet-knowledgable people. But lots of yarn shops have this problem.

But I've had good experiences in lots of Chicagoland shops, including Three Bags Full, Nina, Mosaic Yarn Studio, and Chix with Sticks. Nina is quite an interesting shop, I have never seen one like it (though I've probably been to less than 15 lys ever). I think its decor is . . . austere, is that the word I'm looking for? Nina is nice and the place is very modern, straight lines, everything is white. Not a place for getting your hands dirty with yarn, but if you ever felt like the walls of yarn were pushing in on you at some other stores and felt a need to breathe, you'd like Nina since it's very open. Feels very boutique.

My fave non local brick and mortar is in Indianapolis, it's Mass Ave. Knit Shop. I love that place, such a huge selection!

Vendie
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Isn't Mass Ave Knit Shop awesome, Nikki? And if all goes well, it's very very close to my new office. Mass Ave (on Virginia Ave) has a huuuuuge selection of yarns. And their sock yarn selection is growing nicely (this was the one area where they were lacking). They, like Chix with Stix, have a Wall of Malabrigo. It can sometimes be a bit hectic in there, but if you avoid the lunch hour, you should be fine. Mass Ave Knit Shop (http://www.massaveknitshoponline.com/)

Also in Indy, I like Stitches and Scones. It's in Westfield (on the northside), and it's just really warm and cozy. Good selection and free coffee. Stitches and Scones (http://www.stitchesnscones.com/)

In VA, I love Capital Yarns, in Chantilly near the Dulles Airport. Not the greatest selection, but they do have some nice things and they are soooo friendly. Capital Yarns (http://www.capitalyarns.com/)

In the DC area, I love Stitch DC. Three locations, but I've only been to the Capitol Hill one. Stitch DC (http://www.stitchdc.com/)

I've been really wanting to try Springsomething in Alexandria (that Chel posted), and now that I'm going to be leaving this area, I really have to get over there.

Also in Alexandria, I really like Knit Happens.
Knit Happens (http://www.knithappens.net/)
I just love Old Town Alexandria, so how could I not love a yarn store there. I've always been treated very well and have found wonderful yarns and books and bags to take home with me. This is where I picked up my Namaste bag. I generally like their sock yarn selection - they carry Mama E's and Jitterbug and Fleece Artist, and others.

Just a few that I like...

MiaZilla
03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I've only been to one LYS, Sländan in Lund Sweden

It's a nice shop, not a great selection though, mosly garnstudio/drops stuff but they do have gorgeous handmade wooden kniting needles. The first time I was in there I felt up every yarn in he shop and then looked at patterns for half an hour XD When I finally decided I needed help to find me some nice yarn for a vest the lady (owner I think) was very helpful and I got me some gorgeous brown alpaca.

Here's the website (http://www.slandanilund.com) (it's in Swedish)

Sanibelle
03-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Everytime I read threads like this it just amazes me how many LYS there are out there that think it is OK to be rude or snotty. There is one not to far from my house that is that way. They have a great selection of beautiful yarns but they are so snobby. They knew that I would spend money in the store so they would be nice to me but I have seen them totally igore people that have come in the store for the first time - not even ring up purchases when they found what they wanted on there own. I could not take watching it anymore so I stopped going there. I lucked out because a very nice woman opened a store just one block from my office. She is so nice and friendly to who ever walks in and makes everyone feel welcome.

I work with the public and my company goes out of our way to give great customer service so maybe that is why it bugs me so much when these store owners think that they can treat people this way and still stay in business. I did not mean to get on my soapbox... this just really bugs me!

If anyone comes to Long Island - check out the Village Knitter in Babylon.

imported_Knitty_Kat
03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I think oftentimes there are certain types of people who gravitate toward certain professions. Like the thread about ear piercing where a few people voiced their frustrations over rude and calloused tattoo and body piercing artists. Or go to the local library. I worked for the library throughout high school and some of the most crotchety elderly ladies worked the circulation desk. One of them was so rude to a patron one evening, the patron left the library in tears. The staff at my local **** Blick art supplies is the worst. I called them up one day around twenty 'til six and asked what time they closed and the lady who answered the phone rudely shot back "right now!" I asked her if she meant six 'o clock and she said, "well, yes, that is technically what time we close, but I get so sick and tired of people thinking they can waltz right in here five minutes to closing. So, don't bother coming in today. It's too late." I guess even though it is frustrating when the people who work our LYSs are rude we have to bear in mind that most of these people are the artsy fartsy type. I know I have my moments where I can be very curt.

Some of the stories, though, are completely appalling. Like the one about the girl who wanted her yarn wound into a ball and the woman refused to do it. I mean, come on! My LYS does that at no charge and you don't even have to ask them to do it for you.

Stiney
03-13-2007, 01:51 PM
I guess even though it is frustrating when the people who work our LYSs are rude we have to bear in mind that most of these people are the artsy fartsy type. I know I have my moments where I can be very curt.

Being an artsy-fartsy type is neither a reason someone is rude, nor an excuse to be rude.

These are just mean people giving everyone else a bad name.

That being said, Knitting Nation in Nyack, NY has a pretty good selection, and they're not overly friendly, but they aren't rude, either. I actually like it that way--overly friendly strangers creep me out. :teehee:

aineepooh1
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
I am SOOOOOOOoo glad someone started this thread. I am so glad to know names and numbers of LYS that ENJOY being a LYS and having customers~!!

I know customer service can be a hard job. You sometimes deal with cranky, demanding, rude and obnoxious people~ but there are also some customer service people who refuse to let THOSE customers get the best of THEM~!

SOOOoo... AGAIN. thanks for starting this thread~!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Chel
03-13-2007, 04:03 PM
You're welcome. You inspired it goofball! :hug:

AnaK
03-13-2007, 08:39 PM
[quote="luv2knit"]I have mixed feelings about our LYS. Somedays I go in and everyone is really nice, but there are two ladies there that are who won't give you the time of day if you aren't a regular. But they are sure helpful if you want to purchase something. They definitely treat you differently if are a regular, I have been in enough to see how they treat different customers. Their supplies and yarn are quite pricey and they really don't have large selection of yarns. From what I read on the forum and have seen in the nice knitting magazines, they don't even offer most of those. I will order if online if I want something really nice.

I have purchased yarn and supplies from my current LYS, but I admit I will try the chain store first, especially if I have a coupon. We have a lot of chain stores, like Micheal's and Joann's, but a few more.

I visited that store last year while vacationing in that area. Not very friendly store. Selection wasn't as good and it was a messy looking. The one thing I tought they had good selection of was knitting needles.
My LYS is Knitche and they are very helpfull. The store is well organized and light. Pleasure to shop in.

AnaK
03-13-2007, 08:40 PM
[quote="luv2knit"]I have mixed feelings about our LYS. Somedays I go in and everyone is really nice, but there are two ladies there that are who won't give you the time of day if you aren't a regular. But they are sure helpful if you want to purchase something. They definitely treat you differently if are a regular, I have been in enough to see how they treat different customers. Their supplies and yarn are quite pricey and they really don't have large selection of yarns. From what I read on the forum and have seen in the nice knitting magazines, they don't even offer most of those. I will order if online if I want something really nice.

I visited that store last year while vacationing in that area. Not very friendly store. Selection wasn't as good and it was a messy looking. The one thing I tought they had good selection of was knitting needles.
My LYS is Knitche and they are very helpfull. The store is well organized and light. Pleasure to shop in.

BinkyKat
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I've worked in retail, and while it was a bummer to deal with difficult people, I would NEVER tell someone to not bother coming in simply because it was 20 minutes to closing! Our hours are the hours of operation, period! I worked in a flower shop so many times on the day of a holiday or the day before we would get a lot of last 5 minutes customers but once they were in, as long as the door was open we would help, if no one else came in, we'd put the closed sign up, help the rest and then be done.

My LYS is:
Yarn Renaissance (http://www.yarnrenaissance.com/page.aspx?page_id=1)
2615 S University Dr
Fargo, ND 58103
hrs M-Th 10am to 6pm, Fr-Sat 10am-5pm
They are all great and do have a fee for personalized help, a fee for yarn not purchased there, but free if it is. There's probably been 0.00001% snoot factor, but not much.

I also love love love to stop at these two places when I go to Wisc. via Mpls/St. Paul

Yarn Cafe, Maple Grove, MN (http://www.yarn-cafe.com/)
and
Amazing Threads, Maple Grove, MN (http://www.amazing-threads.com/Hours.htm)
and when at the lakes visiting the in laws, this is a cute place that also has spinning and weaving goods
At Loose Ends, Perham, MN (http://www.atlooseends.com/)

:cheering:

Annyka
03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I visited two LYS in Winston-Salem, the first Knit Picky (http://www.knitpickyyarns.com/) was wonderful, very helpful, looked cozy, nice selection (though I was disappointed not to find Malabrigo and anything from Art Yarns or Lorna's Laces there - to check that out before buying). Active newsletter and blog.

Then I went to Knit One, Smock Too, and was horrified. I wandered for at least 30 minutes ignored by no less than 4 staffers and/or regulars that are so regular they're in and out of the employee spaces. Fondled the malabrigo (wasn't hugely impressed), was ignored by the woman who came to find a hank of a specific color for someone on the phone, and finally spent $30 on some hand-dyed sock yarn, and they spent 10 minutes figuring out who moved the swift to wind it. Had to specifically say 'I'd like to buy this' before they waited on me. I'll never go back and spend money, I might go fondle something before buying it online.

[/url]

Braden
03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
My LYS is real friendly, but VERY tiny (only one employee, the owner). They do have a good selection, though. The only downside is that they only carry bamboo needles. I don't really care though, as I have my Options, and lots of Addis.

luv2knit
03-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Oooh, Sandi, you went to Jimmy Beans Wool? I love them as an online store, such crazy speedy shipping!

They had a store in Truckee that was very small, but packed with the most wonderful yarns. I didn't get to stay very long, but the I tried to look and touch as much as I could :teehee: I found one ball of yarn that I liked and bought it. We just happened to go into Reno during our stay in Lake Tahoe, and this Jimmy Beans was much larger and I spent a good hour there...my kids and DH went to the toy store. The saleslady was so friendly and showed me around. They had a lot of beautiful examples throughout the store. There was soooo much I yarn I wanted to buy, so many beautiful colors and irresistible soft and luscious feeling yarns. I was able to find more of the yarn I had got from the other store and also picked out a couple of balls of Pink Rowan yarn. They put me in their data base and said if I ever needed more of the yarn I just purchased, that they would have all the lot numbers noted in the system and they would try to match them. I mentioned I was a fairly new knitter and was admiring the cables and entrelac example and she was so encouraging in where to get information, and even encouraging me to try them. Even when I told her I wasn't from the area she gave me a business card and explained about ordering online and how they can help if there was anything I needed. So, I was impressed needless to say. :notworthy:

simplethings
03-14-2007, 01:40 AM
My LYS is The Gifted Purl (http://giftedpurl.com/site/) in West Dundee, Illinois.
The owner is very nice and friendly. They don't mind helping people with projects (for free!) as long as the store isn't too busy. If you want their undivided attention you can schedule time with someone for a fee.

They definitely don't have the largest selection. No Malabrigo... I don't think I've seen Noro either. I've usually get tempted by their selection of Rowan Yarns though. There's also a large supply of the solid color Manos.
The needle selection is also somewhat small. The owner is very dedicated to helping you out though. I was looking for 16 inch circulars in a size 6. She didn't have them in stock so she went to her own knitting bag, dumped out the contents and lent me her own size 6 circulars. I've seen her do the same for other regulars.

Another awesome thing about the store is their "Customer Thank You Cards". Basically it's a punch card of sorts that keeps track of how much you spend. Once you spend $250 you get a gift certificate for $25. Not a huge amount, but, it's something.

A not-so-LYS I like is The Village Knit Whiz in Glenview, IL.
It's a small store but it's PACKED with yarn. They recently added Malabrigo to their line-up. It's new to them and they were excited. It was cute.
The staff is pretty friendly. I feel like I get weird looks when I first walk in (probably because I'm a guy), but, once you start talking yarn it's all good.
They keep a very detailed list of your purchases each time you shop. The purpose is so that they have a record of dye lots in case you run out of yarn. They also keep track of needles sizes you purchase so that if you don't remember if you own a certain size you can check with their database. Of course you'd have to buy all your needles from them to be 100% accurate, but, it's still quite handy.

My last not-so-LYS to check out is Three Bags Full Yarn Studio in Northbrook, IL.
Also not a huge selection, but they have the cheapest Malabrigo and Manos Del Uruguay I've found so far. Many of their other yarns are also relatively cheaper.
They carry a large selection of Lantern Moon needles (other stores I've been to have had just one or two stray pairs) and other really nice brands.
The downside to the store is that it's a little clique-y. Every time I've been there the place has been crowded with people who all seem to know each other. They have one small table that sits about 4-6 and it's always packed with regulars knitting away.
Sad to say, but I've actually never been greeted upon entering. Maybe because it's so busy. Only once has anyone said anything to me as I left the store.
When you do end up talking to an employee they're actually very nice. But, it would be nice to be acknowledged from the time you enter to the time you leave.

projectgal
03-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I love one of my LYS! The Knitting Emporium in Kennesaw is wonderful!

Ooh! Another one in my area! I didn't even know about this one! Thanks!

The Purly Gates went through some growing pains and changes a while back. I would try again if you need something that they offer before online shopping. I always try to give my business to a LYS if they have the product I need at a price comparable with an online shop.

I went in to their help session on a Saturday morning, they were more than willing to help me with my blanket made with Joann's yarn and Knitpicks needles.

I think one of the employees has some health problems, maybe you caught her on a bad day?

And Christy, I still can't seem to make it to Knitch lately. When we swap the odd ball blanket, we'll have to meet there so that I will have a good excuse. A place that has coffee and yarn has to be worth the trip.

MamaMer
03-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I live in Fredericksburg, VA and I love my LYS! It is called The Knitter's Cottage, everyone there is so helpful and sweet, they offer lotsa knitting classes, a crochet class, and lots of workshops, from felted purses, socks to children's lessons. They stock a ton of great yarn, and they have an excellent collection of needles from Clovers to Addis. And they will pretty much special order what you need when you need it if they don't already have it. It is located in downtown Fredericksburg ( www.knitterscottage.com )

stitchwitch
03-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Smoky Mountain Spinnery

466 Brookside Village Way • Gatlinburg Tennessee
865-436-9080

Come see "History at Work" in Gatlinburg's Winery Square. Smoky Mountain Spinnery has equipment and supplies for spinning, weaving and knitting-as well as needle felting. Antiques and gifts abound in this "ewenique" shop where you can find everything from raw fibers to finished products. Stop by and see demonstrations every day. Located next to Smoky Mountain Angler at 466 Brookside Village Way, Gatlinburg, TN. 865-436-9080.

I've been to this shop about three times and have always been greeted with a pleasant attitude and many offerings to help point me in the right direction. It's a husband and wife operation and both are equally as friendly as is the "fishing guide" guy who works for them in the Smoky Mountain Angler (wife owns shop, hubby owns fish place). Very down to earth, laid back, not a big store by any means but warm and inviting.

Kirochka
03-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I've been trying to resist posting this, since I've badmouthed them before, but resistance is apparently futile. So anyway, despite their large selection of yarn, I will never set foot in Sunflower Samplings in Crystal Lake, IL, ever again - the women there were rude and basically ignored me, even AS I WAS CHECKING OUT (you wouldn't think it was possible to ignore someone as you're in the process of ringing up her purchases, but they managed it - I said something to the woman and she didn't even look at me or respond). I've heard complaints from other people, too.

Deep breath.

On the good side, I've had nice experiences at Chix with Stix (http://www.chixwithstixknitting.com/index.htm) in Forest Park, IL, Purl Soho (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl) and Knitty City (http://www.knittycity.com/) in NYC, Fringe (http://www.fringeknitting.com/pages/home.html)in Aurora, IL, Mosaic Yarn Studio (http://www.mosaicyarnstudio.com/) in Des Plaines, IL, and of course the fabulous Webs (http://yarn.com/). In all of those places I found a nice or even great selection of yarns, and the people I dealt with were all friendly.

The Gifted Purl - the time I was there, the selection wasn't so great, but the woman I dealt with was lovely.

And Wool & Co. (http://www.woolandcompany.net/) in Geneva, IL is a treasure trove I need to spend a lot more time in!