PDA

View Full Version : what do you pay for your sock yarn

pattieroc
03-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I was just online to a few knitting online stores and on ebay and I was wondering what everyone feels is a reasonable price to pay for yarn to make a pair of socks?
the yarns, lornas laces, trekking etc work out to be about 18.00 or more to make 1 pair, I wonder why it is so expensive and can you use any fingering weight wool?
also if someone knows a great source for reasonably priced sock yarn please share it....maybe this is the going rate and its just me :??

mwedzi
03-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I've paid up to $24 for a pair, and they can get more expensive than that. The least I've paid is like $9 or $10, but I think they can be had for even cheaper at Knitpicks.

Usually sock yarns have some nylon content in them, as opposed to other fingering weight yarn, to add a little strength as socks get hard wear. U But not all do. Usually they are aslo superwash cuz most people don't want to hand wash their socks, but not all are. So I guess you can use any fingering weight yarn you want!

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Sock yarn can be expensive, but the expensive stuff is fabulous.

I've also used, and enjoyed, the sock yarns from Knit Picks (http://www.knitpicks.com) and been very pleased and the prices are great.

Opal runs about $12 - $15 and Socks that Rock is a little bit more as is Lorna's Laces, but they are all fabulous.

Vendie
03-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Often the expense of sock yarn comes from the fact that they are hand dyed/painted. Some of it is due to the fact that the demand supports it.

I'm willing to pay up to about $30 for good quality hand painted sock yarn, especially if it's an independent dyer (like Scout's Swag, Lisa Souza, Blue Moon Fiber Arts).

But, unless you're really brutal on your socks, you can use just about any fingerling, sport, dk, even worsted weight yarn you want. And even then, you can use a reinforcing thread for the heel and toe to strengthen them.

pattieroc
03-13-2007, 11:49 AM
after reading your posts I decided to forge ahead, have a little craft money saved so i went online and bought 100.00 of Lorna's laces sock yarn in different colorways, so pretty, I guess what was holding me back is that I want to make socks as gifts for net christmas and was worried the recipients wouldnt get the value, i guess i could make little price tags and attach them to the socks lol....too bad that non knitters dont understand the time and mney involved in what looks like a simple gift, I know I will enjoy making them so I guess i will have to settle for the self satisfaction alone.
thanks for all your help

Chel
03-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I LOVE Lornas Laces. Such pretty colors.

I also love Cindy H's yarn on etsy.

Old Knitter
03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I have really good luck using Baby Ull by Dale. It works out to about $13.00 a pair.

auburnchick
03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
You know...I've started trying to overlook the price of my sock yarn and just enjoy the knitting.

If I don't have enough $$ to buy it, I don't. If I want it and have some extra $$, I just get it.

The pleasure is in the process.

Enjoy your new order! I've never used Lorna before, but I want to get some after reading all of the great comments here.

Braden
03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
KnitPicks (http://www.KnitPicks.com/) has some great, very cheap sock yarns. That's what I have made all my socks out of. I do like Lorna's Laces, though. I would try both and see which one you like best.

ecb
03-13-2007, 10:42 PM
my LYS here has ben sending her customers to a discount store called Reneys
if anyone asks for Magic Stripes by Lion Brand
its only $1.99 a ball
she still recomends people buy the patterns and needles at her place (GOOD call, Reneys has CHEEP needles)
but the Yarn is the exact smae stuff, even a fair collection of colors

IF you decide to buy from her she is giving everyone a Dolar off each ball

She SO ROCKS

ecb

DragonsChest
03-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I usually pay about $13.50 to $14.50 for one 4-ounce skein (550 yards) of 100% superwash merino from FearlessFibers on etsy. Actually, I haven't bought any sock yarn from anyone else. I love her yarn.

Cristy
03-14-2007, 03:00 AM
It really varies for me...I've paid KP prices--back when they carried simple stripes I bought a lot of sock yarn from them...but I also have a handpainted skein that I purchased from my LYS for $36.00. It's enough to make a pair for myself and *maybe* a matching pair for my dd who is 4YO. I haven't used the expensive stuff yet...I guess I keep thinking I'll get better at socks and use it when I'm REALLY good...

I agree w/ auburn chick...get what you can when you can...I am a process knitter--I start way more than I ever finish just b/c I enjoy the process of knitting...so when I have the money I use expensive stuff and when I don't have money--I knit with what I can. To me--what's most important is that I'm knitting!

Cristy
03-14-2007, 03:02 AM
It really varies for me...I've paid KP prices--back when they carried simple stripes I bought a lot of sock yarn from them...but I also have a handpainted skein that I purchased from my LYS for $36.00. It's enough to make a pair for myself and *maybe* a matching pair for my dd who is 4YO. I haven't used the expensive stuff yet...I guess I keep thinking I'll get better at socks and use it when I'm REALLY good...

I agree w/ auburn chick...get what you can when you can...I am a process knitter--I start way more than I ever finish just b/c I enjoy the process of knitting...so when I have the money I use expensive stuff and when I don't have money--I knit with what I can. To me--what's most important is that I'm knitting!

carmabelle1191
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I bought Fortissima Socka, and it was $19 a skein. I think I still have half a skein left over though, so maybe I will be able to get another pair out of it. Then it would probably work out to about $9.50 a pair.

cheesiesmom
03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I've bought a lot of Opal from www.Astridsdutchobsessions.com. She sells her sock yarns at good prices and even with the shipping from the netherlands, I think it's still a good bargain. And I really love Opal and she seems to get all the newest stuff before anyone in the States.

I also just bought a skein of merino fingering weight from www.Knitivity.com out of Texas. He's a dye-it-himself store and the yarn was amazingly soft. I keep fondling the yarn rather than knitting with it. Really pretty colorways, too. The skein I bought was $12.50. The Merino/Nylon is $15.00. If you collect 6 ball bands from his sock yarns you get a free skein. (Sock Club.)