PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good "Knitting" novels out there?

zkimom
03-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I keep waffling about buying either the Friday Night Knitting Club or The Knitting Circle. The reviews on Amazon leave me even more uncertain.

Ok, real knitters don't lie.

Has anyone read either of these and are they worth it? Are there any other good reads about knitters out there?

Thanks!

dustinac
03-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I got Friday night kniting club from the library and started it last week.. ehh I wouldn't buy it.. I'd just check it out of the library if you wanted to read it.. it has boring spells to me.. looong boring parts... I find myself wanting to skip :teehee: plus normally when I read I can't put a book down gotta finish it.... not like that with this one.. :shrug:

Chel
03-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Debbie Macomber-The Shop on Blossom Street and its sequel, A Good Yarn are wonderful. I wish she would write another in the series!!!!

Webigail
03-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Debbie Macomber-The Shop on Blossom Street and its sequel, A Good Yarn are wonderful. I wish she would write another in the series!!!!
I think Debbie wrote The Good Yarn too.

ETA: Oops, didn't realize that you already had A Good Yarn :oops:

luv2knit
03-13-2007, 11:45 AM
If you like murder mysteries, then try this one. It's based around a knitting store and knitters, with a bit of mystery mixed in. The author always includes a recipe and a couple of patterns. I don't purchase them, I just check them out from the library. Knit One, Kill Two (http://www.amazon.com/Knit-One-Kill-Knitting-Mystery/dp/042520359X/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-2567556-4745743?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173800259&sr=8-2//url) is the first of a three in a series. I see that there is a fourth book in the series coming out in May. You have to read them in order as they have running story lines that continue in all three books.

Eloewien
03-13-2007, 12:16 PM
All the books in Knit one kill two are good :) I've got them all. I'm not a big fan of murder mysteries, but those are good

KathyinCali
03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm reading The Friday Night Knitting Club at the moment. I agree that it does have some boring parts, takes forever for her to develop her characters but now half way through I'm enjoying it. Totally predictable I already know how it's going to end.

Thanks for all the other suggestions. I'm going to check them out!

Stonington
03-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I keep waffling about buying either the Friday Night Knitting Club or The Knitting Circle. The reviews on Amazon leave me even more uncertain.

Ok, real knitters don't lie.

Has anyone read either of these and are they worth it? Are there any other good reads about knitters out there?

Thanks!

I loved this one--- is your "The Knitting Circle" by the same author?
The Knitting Circle: A Novel
by Ann Hood

Would recommend it! :heart:

anne

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
You could always try the library that way if you didn't like them you would have spent the money on them.

That being said I have enjoyed all the ones I've read. Here's some authors to look up on Amazon so you can read reviews, too.

Maggie Sefton
Mary Kruger
Anne Bartlett

Holly
03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
This page has a list of knitting fiction -- with descriptions of the type of knitting mentioned in the books! http://www.woolworks.org/bookref.html. I loved The Shop on Blossom Street and A Good Yarn (and she has companion knitting pattern books for each book!), and I've read the Knit One Kill Two mystery series (fun and light - I'm on the last one). I'll have to check my stash at home for the names/authors of some of the others I've read :-) I LOVE knitting fiction!

Abbily
03-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks a lot! Now I just ordered 4 knitting mysteries from Amazon! :)

Carey

DQ
03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Divas-Dont-Knit-Gil-McNeil/dp/0747581649/ref=pd_ka_1/026-0553083-5102054?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173818501&sr=8-1

I've seen mention of this somewhere...I forget where maybe a magazine. I've not read it though.

ChristinaKnits
03-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Debbie Macomber has a new one coming out soon too called "Back on Blossom St" yay!!!! :happydance:

DQ
03-14-2007, 07:00 AM
I've just been going through the online search catalogue for my local libraries...there only seems to be ONE knitting book in my nearest library, and it's a Debbie Bliss one. No fiction ones :pout:

carmabelle1191
03-14-2007, 05:18 PM
I think Debbie wrote The Good Yarn too.

ETA: Oops, didn't realize that you already had A Good Yarn :oops:
I love the first book! A lady from church lent it to me and i finished it later that day. i'm planning on getting A Good Yarn soon.

jjminarcik
03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I know this has already been mentioned, but I'm reading A Knitting Circle by Ann Hood right now. I'm about halfway done and it is really good! :thumbsup:

Carla1019
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I was at Target the other day, When I came across "knitting under the influence" by claire Lazebnik. I am getting ready to go on a cruise and thought it might be a good read.

Has any one read this one?

ChristinaKnits
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I was at Target the other day, When I came across "knitting under the influence" by claire Lazebnik. I am getting ready to go on a cruise and thought it might be a good read.

Has any one read this one?

I have and it's a very good one ;)