PDA

View Full Version : OT - Podcasts while knitting

niffer
03-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Just wondering how many of you listen to Podcasts whilst knitting? And where do you get them from?

I've just been told by DH that the time has come for me to get an Ipod, only a shuffle as pennies are tight, but I'm doing a lot of pre-work for my MSc that starts in September and I need to avoid distraction.

I got through my college and university courses with a giant walkman, (Tapes in college, CD's in Uni, now and Ipod for my Masters Degree - thats progression for ya!) and I'm getting the Ipod for music, stories and course related podcasts.

I'd be really grateful for info on where to get podcasts in all different genres, and also to hear about why you guys use podcasts and what type of things you listen to.

DoulaLyndsey
03-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I love listening to podcasts while knitting, it helps pass the time. I have an iPod and get my podcasts on Itunes. I subscribe to a few so that they are downloaded automatically when they come out. Podcasts I listen to regularly are:

PotterCast (Harry Potter podcast)
MuggleCast (another HP podcast)
deos shadow (Pagan podcast)
Lime and Violet (just started listening to this one, a knitting podcast, really good!)

I've also got a couple meditation podcasts downloaded to help me concentrate while meditating. I've also in the past downloaded LetsKnit2gether which is a video podcast about knitting, also neat, but can't watch it unless you have a video iPod.

Itunes has a ton of different podcasts to choose from, you just go to "Podcasts" in the Itunes store and then you can browse in whatever topic you are interested in.

Stiney
03-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I can't concentrate on podcasts, but just so you know, the Shuffle has no screen. You load up your songs/podcasts on it, and it plays them at random. You can skip around with the back/forward buttons, but you can't pick which one you want to listen to.

If you can swing the Nano, I'd go for that. They also sell refurbished ones for less money in the US, not sure about the UK.

jamadian75
03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I think this is great for firing up the brain cells while knitting or doing other acitvites (like exercise).

My knitting favorites:

Cast-On (http://www.cast-on.com) - insightful, fun, and includes unique musical selections, guests, field trips
Unwound (http://www.unwoundpodcast.com) - no frills here, but an excellent podcaster, and she includes a listener poll and prizes
Lime & Violet (http://limenviolet.blogspot.com) - much more irreverent, but funny too! They understand the knit addiction

My non-knitting favorite:
This American Life (http://www.thislife.org) - a weekly public radio progam with such varied topics that it can't be generally classified.

These episodes are pretty easy to download from any of the sites.

That's my 4 cents worth :teehee:

Jeremy
03-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I actually download some university classes. Berkley has a bunch up that you can access through itunes. Right now I'm listening to a bunch on the history of europe after the renaissance. Really good and whats better I don't have to take a test afterward.

The Smithsonian also has a great series on the history of folk music.
If you like classical music, you can get free concerts through WGBH and the Elizabeth Stewart Gardiner Museum. Both are accessible through Itunes and both are of very good quality.

Stiney
03-13-2007, 03:17 PM
I actually download some university classes. Berkley has a bunch up that you can access through itunes. Right now I'm listening to a bunch on the history of europe after the renaissance. Really good and whats better I don't have to take a test afterward.

If you like classical music, you can get free concerts through WGBH and the Elizabeth Stewart Gardiner Museum. Both are accessible through Itunes and both are of very good quality.

Ooh, my friend did the Berkely thing. Do they do a vidcast? I could do that, but if I can't see the lecturer/reader/podcaster I wind up tuning it out. :oops:

It's Isabella. I'm mad at myself that I never went to the Gardner museum when I was in Boston. I'm pretty sure it was free for students. :doh:

Yvonne
03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I looooooooove podcasts. I like so many that I can't listen to all of them anymore!
For knitting, I listen to Lime and Violet, Cast On, Stash and Burn, It's a Purl, Man and have begun to listen to Ready, Set, Knit.

Non-Knitting ones I like are at hayhouseradio.com and achieveradio.com, but these are in the spiritual genre.

cindyln
03-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I love listening to podcasts when I knit. I am subscribed to about 8 knitting ones. I am having a Lime and Violet withdrawal. They need to post a new podcast.

Jeremy
03-16-2007, 01:33 PM

Ooh, my friend did the Berkely thing. Do they do a vidcast? I could do that, but if I can't see the lecturer/reader/podcaster I wind up tuning it out. :oops:

It's Isabella. I'm mad at myself that I never went to the Gardner museum when I was in Boston. I'm pretty sure it was free for students. :doh:
If you go right to the Berkley site you can see the lecture.
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/index.php

Jan in CA
03-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Showing my age here... what exactly are podcasts? Can you listen to them w/o an ipod?

Jeremy
03-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Showing my age here... what exactly are podcasts? Can you listen to them w/o an ipod?

Yes, Itunes is free to download and you can listen to them from your computer.

Podcasts are kind of like a subscription to an audio magazine. You can subscribe and they are sent to your computer as they come out. They vary in subject matter and can include anything from astrophysics to knitting. Just go to the Itunes store

Jan in CA
03-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Okay, thank you! I'll check it out.

lindakh
03-16-2007, 01:53 PM
There are some knitting podcasts that I really enjoy...most have already been mentioned:

It's a Purl Man
Sticks and String (by an Australian guy with a very nice voice!)
Stash and Burn
And my favorite is *Unwound*. I'm not fond of most of the music played by podcasters, and Unwound is pure knitting content!

I have a Shuffle (one of the old ones), and while it's true that it doesn't have a screen, you don't have to play songs in a random order. There is a switch on that back of mine that allows you to play the songs in playlist order (or audiobook in the proper sequence). It will also ignore audiobooks (if they're in the right format) when doing random play, so you won't suddenly get chapter 3 of your book in the middle of your song.

simplethings
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm a fan of It's a Purl Man. His voice is very easy to listen to.

I have some questions about podcasts. When I listen to It's a Purl Man I go to his website and listen from there. How do I get his podcast as well as others sent to me?
Do I need special software? Are they just e-mailed to me?

Thanks!

CateKnits
03-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I can't concentrate on podcasts, but just so you know, the Shuffle has no screen. You load up your songs/podcasts on it, and it plays them at random. You can skip around with the back/forward buttons, but you can't pick which one you want to listen to.

If you can swing the Nano, I'd go for that. They also sell refurbished ones for less money in the US, not sure about the UK.

It's true it has no screen, but you CAN pick certain songs/podcasts to put on it and put them on in order. You make a playlist and tell it to fill from that list, not randomly. That's what I did when I first got mine. Then I made a playlist of things I might want on there and told it to fill randomly from just that list.

Stiney
03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
You need to subscribe to his RSS feed....I would use iTunes for that.

I stand corrected on the Shuffle! :)

jamadian75
03-17-2007, 01:02 AM
And my favorite is *Unwound*. I'm not fond of most of the music played by podcasters, and Unwound is pure knitting content!

:heart: This is my new favorite too! My listener comment actually made it into episode 9 :teehee:

humblestumble
03-17-2007, 03:13 AM
I listen to animation podcasts from time to time.

PaperGirl
03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
I was just about to ask this... :teehee:

I was browsing, and with the posts here, I did subscribe to Lime and Violet...and Ill check out all theirs this week.

Do you have any other recommendations for newbies like me?

knitqueen
03-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Just started listening to Stash & Burn (http://www.stashandburn.com/) with Nicole and Jenny from San Fran. I love it - they sound like my kind of girls, moreso than Lime & Violet (who I do also enjoy from time to time), so at the moment, Stash & Burn is my favorite.

Jill A.
03-28-2007, 07:38 PM
I have a 2GB ipod - I listen to primarily podcasts, with a little music. I listen to radio mysterys from the 40's and 50's, NPR wait wait, sunday puzzle, food, and driveway moments; two trivia quizes; a couple of science podcasts; and a japanese podcast (I'm trying to remember the japanese I learned 20 years ago) Now I will add the knitting ones recomended here.
I love my ipod! I wear it on my pants pocket all day long! :happydance:

Weeziemom1
03-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Okay, my first post here and I'm showing my age too! I have a Sony Neet MD player. Can I download podcasts from ITunes or do I need to buy an iPod? Thanks for any help.

Jill A.
03-29-2007, 10:21 AM
You can download podcasts from iTunes without having an ipod. My husband doesn't have an ipod, so occasionally I burn a CD with podcasts that I think he would like, so he can listen in his car.
Hope this helps.

Vendie
03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a 2GB ipod - I listen to primarily podcasts, with a little music. I listen to radio mysterys from the 40's and 50's, NPR wait wait, sunday puzzle, food, and driveway moments; two trivia quizes; a couple of science podcasts; and a japanese podcast (I'm trying to remember the japanese I learned 20 years ago) Now I will add the knitting ones recomended here.
I love my ipod! I wear it on my pants pocket all day long! :happydance:

What Japanese podcast do you listen to? My mom studies Japanese and has recently discovered the wonderful world of podcasting. I'm not sure she's found any Japaneses ones yet.

Jill A.
03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
I tried a few japanese podcasts, but the best by far is japanese101pod.com. On their website they have other stuff, like transcripts of the podcast, kanji practice and word flashcards. The main guy is a little hyper, but they use native speakers, which is important.

jamadian75
03-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Okay, my first post here and I'm showing my age too! I have a Sony Neet MD player. Can I download podcasts from ITunes or do I need to buy an iPod? Thanks for any help.

I use a Creative brand MP3 player, since most of these download as MP3 format, it works well :)

letsknit2gether
05-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Just a correction, you can watch Letsknit2gether at the website letsknit2gether.com. No Video Ipod is required

Braden
05-27-2007, 01:50 PM
I listen to the Knit Picks podcast, and no iPod is required. You can listen through Windows Media player.

knitqueen
05-27-2007, 01:55 PM
A few other knitting podcasts that I listen to frequently (that I don't think have been mentioned yet but could be wrong) are:

Pointy Sticks
Socksinthecity
Knitty D and the City
The Knitting Cook

knitqueen
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Just wanted to mention that I've heard at least two (I think three, but can't remember the third) GREAT plugs for www.knittinghelp.com in podcasts, just in the last few weeks. On 'Stash and Burn' and on 'Knitters Uncensored'. Pretty cool.

brendajos
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I have had my nano for a few months but didn't have much need for it since my phone is an MP3 player as well. I decided that this weekend would be a good one for trying out the podcast thing and decided to download some. I listened to them on the road to and from Kansas City while going to stitch n pitch. I downloaded Lime n Violet who i rarely listen to or read up on but have enjoyed knitting with so figured it was a good choice. That one is nice because i know the places they are speaking of or general regional events so the chatter makes sense to me.

I also listened to Stitch Stud who is a little delightful to listen to but I wouldn't say I got much out of it. He just has a way of speaking that I found to be fun.

I also downloaded a couple of "green" podcasts and that was mostly what i listened to on the trip. Always looking for ways to be more green :)

ADAllen
06-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Everyday when I come home from work I sit down and knit for about 30-60mins while I listen to the NPR news podcasts that I download. I listen to the 7am News Summary and NPR Shuffle everyday. Once a week I listen to Grammer Girl and once a month NPR Playback. It's a great way for me to get out of work mode and get in touch with the outside world (sometimes that is hard to do when you are living on a college campus)

knitqueen
02-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Another new one to add to the list, by our very own KEMP!! :woohoo: Her podcast is at www.divaknitting.com/podcast I find her to be very natural and easy to listen to. Way to go, Cheryl!!!

a.shin.grace
02-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I looooove listening to podcasts while knitting.

The knit-related ones are the knitpicks podcast, let's knit 2gether, socks in the city, and knitscience.

Non-knitting podcasts I love:
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe- a weekly news podcast with interviews, reviews of that week's headlines (especially claims of the paranormal or supernatural) from a skeptical point of view, and a fun game called Science Or Fiction. =]

The Way of Reason- An Infidel Guy Production

The Bible Geek with Dr. Bob Price (member of the Jesus Project and a proponent of the mythical Jesus hypothesis, he's an ex-fundamentalist who went through the ranks of theological seminary. While no longer supporting the bible's theological claims, he enjoys studying and discussing the bible for its literary rather than supernatural elements)

NPR's Science Friday

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Video and Audio Podcasts- updates from the Mars Rovers and Casini

The Savage Lovecast- Dan Savage writes a sex advice column in papers in the US, and he recently started doing podcasts. He's awesome!

Point of Inquiry- a podcast for the Center for Inquiry formerly the Center for Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (or SCICOP)

gaye
02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi, I see that there hasn't been any activity on this thread for a while -- but I just got a 3rd gen Nano so decided to jump in!! ;-D I'm currently subscribed to Discovery Channel, National Geographic, as well as some of the knitting and Harry Potter podcasts mentioned here. But I wonder -- are there any plans to maybe make the KnittingHelp videos into video podcasts?? It would be great to have some of these gems available whenever I'm stuck and can't get to a computer!!!! Would it difficult to do???:hug:

maniago
02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I have a 1g sandisk and it is cheap and wonderful; don't just go with ipod research first.

bambi
02-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Astronomycast (my favorite!!!)
This American Life
Classic Tales podcast (short stories)
selected shorts (short stories)

All available on iTunes

I have yet to download knitting podcasts.

I :heart: my iPod!!

Bambi

Karina
02-18-2008, 06:35 AM
My husband belong to the AV Forums where a lot of people trade and sell their unwanted av gear etc. You do see for sale second hand Ipods on there often at a fraction of the price of what it would cost in the shop. The items are usually well taken care of as most of the members are av nuts. My husband have set up a complete home cinema system at a fraction of the cost that it would have cost us otherwise. Look at the persons trader rating and how long they have been a member. We never have any problems. You do have to become a member to buy. Its free.

knittingymnast
02-18-2008, 09:27 AM
i like to listen to the Knit Picks Podcast. Kelley Petkun is informal, but at the same time, sounding prepared. she is also the owner of KnitPicks! yay!

bethany
02-18-2008, 09:37 AM
itsjustmeghan started a podcast that involves knitting, some crochet, some spinning...it's awesome. I like it because it's like listening to your best friend on the phone...she's very personable, has great ideas, has people cooking and cleaning...check it out!

Stitch-It! Podcast www.stitchitpodcast.com

She is also on Ravelry and started a group there. Enjoy!

grannychickadee
02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I have several books on CD that I put on my Itunes and synced to my Ipod. I enjoy listening to books while I knit, or even while I houseclean (like that happens very often), they are less distracting than TV and more enjoyable than radio. You can also put your books on tape onto your Itunes if you have the right software.