PDA

View Full Version : **VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR PARENTS, PLEASE READ**

Jessica
03-13-2007, 02:34 PM
This was sent to me by my mom and it scared the heck out of me. I dont have children but I know most of you ladies do. I thought it would be important for you too read and look out for.

McDonalds, Chuck E Cheese, Discovery Zone... Some of you might not be parents, but you may have nieces, nephews, grandchildren or friends with children. This will pertain to you too. As I read the following, my heart sank. I urge each and every one of you to pass this on to as many people as you can. I cannot stress how important this is!

This is very disturbing news. In addition to the following true story...
One son lost his watch, and was very upset. We dug and dug in those balls, trying to find the watch.

Instead, we found vomit, food, feces, and other stuff I do not want to discuss. I went to the manager and raised hell. Come to find out, the ball pit is only cleaned out once a month. I have doubts that it is even done that often. My kids will never play in another ball pit. Now read this:

PRETTY SCARY!!

Hi. My name is Lauren Archer, my son Kevin and I lived in Midland,TN. On October 2nd, 1999 I took my only son to McDonald's for his 3rd birthday.

After he finished lunch, I allowed him to play in the ball pit. When he started whining later on, I asked him what was wrong, he pointed to the back of his pull-up and simply said "Mommy, it hurts." I couldn't find anything wrong with him at that time. I bathed him when we got home, and it was at that point when I found a welt on his left buttock. Upon investigating, it seemed as if there was something like a splinter under the welt. I made an appointment to see the doctor the next day, but soon
he started vomiting and shaking, then his eyes rolled back intohis
head.

From there, we went to the emergency room. He died later that night. It turned out that the welt on his buttock was the tip of a hypodermic needle that had broken off inside. The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from a heroine overdose. The next week, the police removed the balls from the ball pit. There was rotten food, several hypodermic needles: some full, some used; knives, half-eaten candy, diapers, feces, and the stench of urine.

If a child is not safe in a child's play area then where? You can find the article on Kevin Archer in the October 10,1999 issue of the Midland Chronicle.

Please forward this to all loving mothers, fathers and anyone who loves and cares for children!

Don't think it's just McDonald's either or that this is something that just started. When my oldest son who is now 9 was small the area Burger King closed their play area for awhile for "remodeling" because in another town there had been an incident similar to the one described above that happen @ a Burger King.

A little boy had been playing in a ball pit & started complaining of his legs hurting. He later died too. He was found to have snake bites all over his legs & buttocks. When they cleaned the ball pit they found that there was a copperhead nest in the ball pit. He had suffered numerous bites from a very poisonous snake.

Repost this if it scares the crap out of you! Repost this if you care about our kids!!!

AND FYI:

In Florida and other places on the East Coast a group of people are putting HIV/AIDS infected and filled needles underneath gas pump handles, so when someone reaches to pick it up and put gas in their car, they get stabbed with it. 16 people have been a victim of this crime so far and 10 tested HIV positive. Instead of posting that stupid crap about how your love life will suck for years to come of you don't re-post, post this. It's important to inform people, even if you don't drive, a family member might, and what if they were next? CHECK UNDER THE HANDLE BEFORE YOU GRAB IT!!! IT MIGHT SAVE YOUR LIFE! Tell as many people as you can about this serious issue, Repost with the title: ***IMPORTANT NEWS*

read

Lucy78green
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
its another urban legend
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/archer.asp

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Yep, always check that urban legends page for anything like this. I've found the majority of them are hoaxes.

Silver
03-13-2007, 02:43 PM
The poisonous snakes (http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/ballpit.asp) rumor is false too.

Although they're false, I still get the creeps thinking about dirty diapers, half eaten food and other things in the bottom of a neglected ball pit. Eww.

Birdy
03-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Urban legend, yes.

But it was enough to get the ball pit in our local McDonald's closed off permanently.

Now the family that lobbied to get the pit closed are trying to get the entire play structure taken down!

brendajos
03-13-2007, 02:49 PM
to be fair though... Those ball pits are full on nasty and we all know that there are a lot of parents who don't think anything of pointing out that their child just lost a diaper in there or wet themselves in there, or got sick in there.

It is sad to think of all the things that we thought were fun as kids may be more dangerous than we really would want for our own kids (lawn darts! :teehee:)

obviously that isn't to say never let your kids in there but i am sure a lot of people don't think about how gross those places can be.

Silver
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
I think there's something to be said about becoming more cautious, but at the same time, we lived, didn't we? I remember playing in those ball pits when I was a kid (they were so much fun!!), and I was undoubtedly exposed to all sorts of germies, which hopefully just taught my immune system how to beat them. :)

brendajos
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
I think there's something to be said about becoming more cautious, but at the same time, we lived, didn't we? I remember playing in those ball pits when I was a kid (they were so much fun!!), and I was undoubtedly exposed to all sorts of germies, which hopefully just taught my immune system how to beat them. :)

Yup... I did way scarier things than playing in a nasty ball pit! Things that my mother is better off not knowing really! :rofl:

Jessica
03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Oops, shows you how much I know :oops: I just didnt want anyone's kiddies egtting hurt.

Silver
03-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Yup... I did way scarier things than playing in a nasty ball pit! Things that my mother is better off not knowing really! :rofl:
No kidding! Every day after school, my sis and I would go trekking through a swamp across the street, just for fun. A FLORIDA swamp. With alligators, poisonous snakes, and who know what else. I still can't believe I never got bit by anything bigger than a mosquito. :doh: Eh, anyway.. I digress.

Jessica, no harm done, and even if they're urban legends, thank you for your concern! :)

Stiney
03-13-2007, 03:12 PM
I miss monkey bars. :pout: :verysad:

brendajos
03-13-2007, 03:30 PM
wait! they don't have monkey bars anymore? :doh:

My brother and I used to play hide and seek and we would ALWAYS hide in the places that we new someone had scared the other one to go to. (mostly it was my dad scaring us for our own good i suppose...lol) My brother was afraid of heights so I would hide on top of the grain bins. I was "afraid" of the machinery so he would hid INSIDE of it. I wasn't afraid of the tractors and combines themselves... but Dad had put a good amount of fear in me for getting into the inner workings of the machinery (not the cab... seriously INSIDE)

My brother and I would have the LAMEST games of hide and seek because we would end up stale mating every time...lol

Stiney
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
wait! they don't have monkey bars anymore? :doh:

They're "not safe." And all the playgrounds have that rubber stuff that grabs at your feet so you trip when you try to walk on it. :waah: They don't even have proper jungle gyms anymore, just those play things with the slides and maybe a pole and a bridge and the tic-tac-toe thing.

iza
03-13-2007, 04:18 PM
It's sad... I understand that safety is important, but on the other hand, where is it going to stop? It's impossible to eliminate all dangers.

It seems very complicated to be a parent, nowadays, with all the do's and don't's... :shrug: and I find it's sad for the kids, really :pout: when I was a kid, nobody was obese, allergic or asthmatic, and we had so much more freedom and space for creativity and experimentation... Now I see kids who only do activities with their parents. I would have find that so boring! :teehee:

CateKnits
03-13-2007, 04:45 PM
I loooooved monkey bars! We had some at the playground at Sandy Point that were triangular and I used to climb up inside them and tunnel through them. I was about the only one small enough to do it. :roflhard:

Mommy22alyns
03-13-2007, 05:52 PM
My oldest would love monkey bars. :verysad:

Abbily
03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
It's sad... I understand that safety is important, but on the other hand, where is it going to stop? It's impossible to eliminate all dangers.

Unfortunately, it's not just about eliminating all dangers, it's about eliminating as many lawsuits as possible. We'e become a very litigious society, and this is the price we pay...

Carey

carmabelle1191
03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Even though I am only 13, it does seem like parks are being replaced more and more often! When I was in third grade, they replaced our tire playground at school for a plastic one, and took down most of the swings. (I actually think it was because a kid got bit by a squirrel who had its nest in there... :?? ). My friend also fell from the monkey bars and broke her arm once, even after the new playground was built, and this prompted the "third grader and older" section where the little kids couldn't play because everyone thought they would fall and get hurt. How many restrictions can you place on kids! There is a limit on how much you can protect a kid. I remember being so bored in second grade because it seemed like no fun without the tires. Ah, the good old days... :teehee:

Limey
03-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi

Jessica wrote

Oops, shows you how much I know Embarassed I just didnt want anyone's kiddies egtting hurt.

I'd much rather have someone who takes the time and trouble like you did to warn people of hazards to their children, than not to bother or care, so thank you very much, Jessica; I'd never given any thought to those ball play areas being a health hazard to my grandchildren.

All the Best

Limey

Arielluria
03-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Oops, shows you how much I know :oops: I just didnt want anyone's kiddies egtting hurt.NP, better safe than sorry. I don't have any kiddos either, but those balls do seem pretty nasty! They didn't have them when I was little, but I loved monkey bars too. I was a tomboy.

Birdy
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Our local school board removed all swings...

And play areas that had the wood replaced 5 years ago are being replaced with even more safe play areas! It gets crazy!

I agree, we are too litigious!

msoebel
03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, I for one am glad that our local city park still has a wood and metal playground...we have several smaller parks as well, but they were all put in at about the same time...and obviously by the same manufacturer. Other than a few variations (placement of swings, colors, maybe different bridges or tunnels) they are the same playground.

But the city park...that's memorable. For one thing...it's right by the river (and there is actually a wading/swimming area for the kids). The play place is HUGE and it's wood and there are swings and THREE (yep, I said THREE) tire swings. It has wood chips on the ground for "safety"...but that just means you can't wear sandals during the summer. The baseball diamonds are there, and the farmer's market meets there once a week during the summer.

It's beautiful. At one point, they even had a large pen with deer in it, but they closed that last year, finally.

It's awesome...of course, last year there was a warning out because apparently a man was exposing himself to the children :-x , so I don't go there unless I am going with a group or unless my husband is with me...but it's the best park. Big open grassy areas to run and scream and play tag....

Wish it was warm enough to go now!

Misty