PDA

View Full Version : OT: Food Delivery...

melissa.atkins
03-13-2007, 05:22 PM
This is completely off topic, but I must ask... why is it that not many restaurants deliver here in the US?

I am starving! 7 months pregnant, dont drive... placed in "home rest"... and nothing at home sounds good... my husband is at work and having him bring food isnt an option...

I have looked everywhere, yellow pages, white pages... everywhere... and nothing! What is wrong? Is it me and my hormones or is there other people who suffer because of not having this service available too?

MamaMer
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
sometimes there are food delivery services that will pick up your order from a restaurant and bring it to you for a fee. The one in my old hometown was called Dine One One. Maybe there is something like that where you are? :shrug:

brendajos
03-13-2007, 05:38 PM
yup we have waiters express here.

Unfortunately it depends on your area really. Some places you can get all sorts of delivery at all hours of the day and night. Other places you can't get more than pizza delivery. We are a metro area of around a million people and still it is mostly just pizza here. there are a few chinese places but they either blow or they are out of my area...lol. There is a pasta place that delivers but apparently only until 4pm.... not sure how much good that does people...lol

Abbily
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Here in Austin it's called Eat Out In...

I just called my friend in Beaverton to see if she knows of anything... I'll let you know if I find out anything. :)

Carey

auburnchick
03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Have you tried calling a restaurant and explaining your situation? Sometimes places will, upon hearing something like your story, work to accommodate your needs.

Hang in there. I did two months of bedrest with my second child. Our church filled in quite a bit, but one night someone forgot to bring my dinner (dh was going to school at night and quitting was not an option). Boy, was that bad!

:hug:

Abbily
03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
My friend in Beaverton says there's a place called Bizeats.com

but she's never tried it... Good luck! I feel your pain, I was on bed rest during part of my first pregnancy.

Carey

Mommy22alyns
03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're stuck in "home rest." If you don't mind talking about it, why are you under that restriction? I had a tough time my second time around, with a month of hospital bedrest. :hug:

phisch
03-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Here's a thought, have you tried to find out if your local grocery store delivers? Even though they're not full meals, maybe a bag of fruit, some yogurt, bread, etc. would help.

I mentioned all of the above because I was on bedrest for 7 weeks. I was fortunate, though, to have hubby who was working at home at the time. I ate lots of yogurt, PB&Js and bananas. So much yogurt! I blame those 7 weeks for the fact that DS1 was born with teeth.

melissa.atkins
03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
I have bell's palsy... it started last tuesday, it's been one week and although it seems to be getting better it is very frustrating.

Half of my face is paralized, I cannot fully close my left eye, I drool(sp?) whenever I drink/eat something and I cannot taste any flavors with that side of my tongue... I have to stay away from drastic temperature changes and just be patient, just deal with stuff coming out of my mouth all the time.

I work as a bank teller, so going to work like this wasnt an option for me, although my managers didnt think like that... one of them suggested I use sunglasses at work... :S yeah! right!!

Well, I finally found a place that would pick up food for me... I think with this I have treated myself until my son/daughter turns 18! I had to order $20 worth of food, plus fees and delivery... tip, it all came up to $30... At least my hubby will have some yummy boneless chicken wings when he gets home... ;)

melissa.atkins
03-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Here's a thought, have you tried to find out if your local grocery store delivers? Even though they're not full meals, maybe a bag of fruit, some yogurt, bread, etc. would help.

I mentioned all of the above because I was on bedrest for 7 weeks. I was fortunate, though, to have hubby who was working at home at the time. I ate lots of yogurt, PB&Js and bananas. So much yogurt! I blame those 7 weeks for the fact that DS1 was born with teeth.

Born with teeth!! That is amazing... Did you have problems breastfeeding because of that? ouch!!

melissa.atkins
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
My friend in Beaverton says there's a place called Bizeats.com

but she's never tried it... Good luck! I feel your pain, I was on bed rest during part of my first pregnancy.

Carey

Thats where I ordered it from... they do have a minimum order though... if you are in real need(like I was...;)) it is worth it...

Thank you!!

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Found a few links on google;

http://fooddelivery.addresses.com/b/beaverton,OR.html
http://www.bizeats.com/menu.html

iza
03-13-2007, 06:10 PM
:?? that's weird... here we can have sushi, indian food, thai food delivered to us... pretty much everything, really! I had no idea it wasn't the case in the US.

Abbily
03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Glad you found something! :) I'm at work, and didn't notice that there were already several new posts before I posted that. :)

Hope you are doing well!!

Carey

Abbily
03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Iza, I don't think you can generalize anything about the US :) Here is Austin we can get all the same things delivered that you listed. :D

marykz
03-13-2007, 07:05 PM
we have takeout taxi and several grocery stores deliver. Peapod is a huge online grocer, and amazon just started selling some food items. for the groceries you have to plan a couple days ahead, but I loved them when I was pregnant.

iza
03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Iza, I don't think you can generalize anything about the US :) Here is Austin we can get all the same things delivered that you listed. :D

Ok, that's what I thought, thanks Abbily! I found it very weird. It's the same here too in a way, smaller towns won't get a whole lot of choices for delivery.

I might go to Austin this fall, so who knows I might check it out! :teehee:

melissa.atkins
03-13-2007, 07:20 PM

It might be a city thing... in Peru(where I came from) you can have anything delivered too, burgers, fries, italian food... whatever you can think of... and it comes straight from the restaurant, so there are no extra charges.

By the way... I already got my burger, fries, boneless chicken wings and apple with cinammon... yummy!! I left half of everything for my dinner... :)

janelanespaintbrush
03-13-2007, 07:53 PM
You're making me hungry! So hey, here's a related question... how much do you usually tip the delivery person? Is there a standard? I hardly ever order food so I just don't know these things. Is it pretty much the same as regular wait staff?

melissa.atkins
03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
You're making me hungry! So hey, here's a related question... how much do you usually tip the delivery person? Is there a standard? I hardly ever order food so I just don't know these things. Is it pretty much the same as regular wait staff?

I dont know, the one that always take care of that is my husband... this time the tip was included in the delivery, 10% of the whole order... he was nice, so I gave him a couple more dollars... it came up to $5 total.

Abbily
03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I usually tip about 10%, since they're not really doing as much as a waiter, but they still don't make much money!

Melissa, is this your first baby?

Eloewien
03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere so it's pizza from the local place (Domino's, Little Cesars and Pizza Hut won't deliver here) or chinese. That's it. After 10pm the only two places even open are Wendys and Sonic. grrr... grocery store closes at 11 and I'm not off work till 11:30 most nights.

melissa.atkins
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I usually tip about 10%, since they're not really doing as much as a waiter, but they still don't make much money!

Yes, it is my first baby... and will probably be the only one(most people dont believe that though)

Abbily
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Yes, it is my first baby... and will probably be the only one(most people dont believe that though)

I'm an only child, so I can believe that. :) I have 2 girls and I am DONE, despite the fact that my grandma keeps telling me that I need a boy. Yeah, sure, only if she wants to raise him!

Carey

auburnchick
03-14-2007, 09:51 AM

I'm an only child, so I can believe that. :) I have 2 girls and I am DONE, despite the fact that my grandma keeps telling me that I need a boy. Yeah, sure, only if she wants to raise him!

Carey

Boys are WONDERFUL!!! I have one of each, and my son is so much easier than my daughter! I cannot imagine having two girls (of course, my mom did it).

melissa.atkins
03-14-2007, 10:07 AM

Carey

Boys are WONDERFUL!!! I have one of each, and my son is so much easier than my daughter! I cannot imagine having two girls (of course, my mom did it).

I am the second one of three girls, and my husband is the only boy of three children... when we found out we were pregnant we were like... "hope it is is a boy, girls are trouble!"... we dont know what we are having, we decided to make it a surprise... :)

Either way, like Grandma says... "as long as he/she is healthy... you can deal with the rest"

Abbily
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Melissa, your grandma is a very wise woman! :)

Being an only child and a mother of only girls, I have no idea what boys are like... but i wouldn't trade my girls for anything. :) They are so much fun!

Carey

bip
03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Since I live in the city, many places deliver...and we avail ourselves of that about 4-5 times a week. The grocery store is so expensive here that it costs about the same as cooking (unless I wanted to drive out to a suburban grocery store, which I sometimes do but it is a huge pain).

What we are lacking is dessert delivery. Not that my butt needs any more dessert, but sometimes you just want ice cream and you want someone to BRING IT TO YOU :)

Abbily
03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
but sometimes you just want ice cream and you want someone to BRING IT TO YOU :)

Oh man, isn't that the truth?! I think that was the best thing about being pregnant- it was the only time in my life when my husband would willingly leave the house at midnight to get me ice cream! :)

Carey

bip
03-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Either way, like Grandma says... "as long as he/she is healthy... you can deal with the rest"

My mom always told me this too, and I believed it until I met my husband. He was not born healthy. He was born with a blockage in his urinary tract that went undiagnosed until he was two. His mom kept taking him to the doctor, and the doctor kept saying he was fine until they finally did the right tests. By that time he had severe kidney damage and they knew he would need a kidney transplant by the time he was a teenager. He had that that transplant when he was 14 (his father was the donor), but they put it in incorrectly and had to remove it a week later. Then he was on dialysis for almost a year while waiting for a donor (none of his other family members were matches). The kidney lasted 15 years, which is 5 years longer than they expected it to, and then he had another transplant when he was 30. This time my dad was the donor!

In the end, everything turned out ok. Not that it was easy, far from it. It was scary and stressful (and honestly, expensive!) What am I saying? It IS STILL scary and stressful and expensive. But it made him a very driven person who also values enjoying life, which is one of the things we all love about him.

I think my point is that even if a baby is born unhealthy, you can still deal with it.

I'm not criticizing anyone because I understand that the point of that saying is to not obsess about gender because it is such a trivial thing, and that is absolutely true. I'm just pointing this out because that saying is so common, most people don't realize that it has implications for people whose babies aren't born healthy. I guess I just don't want anyone to despair if their baby has a health condition.[/b]

melissa.atkins
03-14-2007, 08:35 PM

I think my point is that even if a baby is born unhealthy, you can still deal with it.

I'm not criticizing anyone because I understand that the point of that saying is to not obsess about gender because it is such a trivial thing, and that is absolutely true. I'm just pointing this out because that saying is so common, most people don't realize that it has implications for people whose babies aren't born healthy. I guess I just don't want anyone to despair if their baby has a health condition.[/b]

Im sorry your husband has gone through all that... I understand what you mean by that, I do apologize if you were affected by my comment... and I do agree that the gender is a trivial thing.

I think people always want the best for their kids, their family in general... not only in health, in life, in love... in everything, it is our nature, we are humans. That is why I think that saying is so common. Not because parents dont want to deal with one of their kids being sick, but because they do know that it isnt only hard on them but on the kid him/herself too... not every kid or adult who has to go through any kind of disease is strong enough to make it.

Abbily
03-15-2007, 10:09 AM

My mom always told me this too, and I believed it until I met my husband. He was not born healthy. He was born with a blockage in his urinary tract that went undiagnosed until he was two. His mom kept taking him to the doctor, and the doctor kept saying he was fine until they finally did the right tests. By that time he had severe kidney damage and they knew he would need a kidney transplant by the time he was a teenager. He had that that transplant when he was 14 (his father was the donor), but they put it in incorrectly and had to remove it a week later. Then he was on dialysis for almost a year while waiting for a donor (none of his other family members were matches). The kidney lasted 15 years, which is 5 years longer than they expected it to, and then he had another transplant when he was 30. This time my dad was the donor!

In the end, everything turned out ok. Not that it was easy, far from it. It was scary and stressful (and honestly, expensive!) What am I saying? It IS STILL scary and stressful and expensive. But it made him a very driven person who also values enjoying life, which is one of the things we all love about him.

That's a great reminder, thank you!

Carey