PDA

View Full Version : Novelty yarn sock pattern?

madametj
03-13-2007, 07:49 PM
have any of you seen one of these for free online? :shrug:

psammeadred
03-13-2007, 08:40 PM
When you say "novelty yarn," do you mean furry-type yarn or something else? My initial guess would be that you could just use a regular sock pattern.

madametj
03-13-2007, 08:57 PM
furry or feathery yarn. i figured i would need a different pattern since this type of yarn is much thicker than ur average sock yarn.

Ingrid
03-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I made a pair of 'house' socks for my grandson with some feathery yarn he picked out. I hated the yarn, but it was at a huge markdown, so I got it. I made a pair of tube socks for him with it and it worked out great. I just measured around his ankle and cast on enough stitches to fit, ribbed a bit and then knit in stockinette until the toe decrease. It's nice and stretchy so there's no right or wrong way to put them on.

madametj
03-13-2007, 11:06 PM
ok, i found a tube sock pattern. i think i'll just use that once i get the proper gauge! :cheering:

madametj
03-22-2007, 10:42 PM
one more question about this: approximately how many yards of bulky yarn is needed to make a pair of socks? i've only got two balls and it adds up to 154 yds. doesnt seem like enough. am i right? :shrug:

madametj
03-25-2007, 10:33 PM
....bump....

psammeadred
03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Hmm...that just might work. I made these (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50642.html) with 114 yards, and I had a bit left over. This pattern is pretty good, but the yarn is icky, IMHO. I don't think I'd use it again. It semi-quasi-sorta felted (matted would be a better word to describe it), and the colorway (Tutti Fruitti), which is advertised as "medium purple, fuchsia, red, gold and olive green," is actually elephant-hide grey with nauseatingly red and orange bits. Another colorway would have probably worked, but that one was downright nasty!

madametj
03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
i'm gonna do it! :happydance: :cheering: