PDA

View Full Version : I need to go on a Yarn/knitting notions diet how do i start?

cinnybuns
03-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Hello,

My name is cinnybuns and i'm a yarn/knitting notionsaholic. Please help, how do i stop :wall: :pout:

HeatherFeather
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
start by visiting over at the KAL section, the 2007 Year of the Stash...there are LOTS of stash busting ideas, with "rules" to follow!!!

Ingrid
03-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Asking this here is like going to a bar to ask how you can stop drinking. We're all a bunch of enablers here. :teehee: :teehee:

If you figure out how to stop buying yarn, please let me know. :shifty:

HeatherFeather
03-15-2007, 08:20 AM
oh Ingrid :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

bip
03-15-2007, 09:28 AM
You could make a hoodia (get it, like "hoodie"? I know, I know. If I have to explain it, it isn't funny...)

JoeE
03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't get it. Why do you want to stop? I want at least one of each item, and I'm OK with duplicates of the really good stuff.

Maybe someday I'll do my Alexander the Great impression and sit down and cry because there are no new Knitting gadgets to purchase (OK, he cried because there were no new world to conquer, but you get the idea.

Joe

CarmenIbanez
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
If you figure out how to stop buying yarn, please let me know. :shifty:

If you figure this out, please DON'T let me know. If buying yarn is wrong, I don't wanna be right!!!

KathyinCali
03-15-2007, 12:58 PM
You could make a hoodia (get it, like "hoodie"? I know, I know. If I have to explain it, it isn't funny...)

:rofl:

In an effort to cut down on my addiction I have started to limit myself to LYS and bookstore visits. I'm also determined to limit myself to no more than 2 projects at time and finishing one before I can begin another. I think one of the reasons I shop so much is that I see a pattern I want to make and am afraid I'll forget about it if I don't go buy the materials. To help with this, I have a nice list of things I'd like to make along with a color copy of the pattern so I won't forget. Kind of like shopping and collecting without spending way too much money at one time :)

Good luck!

nadja la claire
03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
start by visiting over at the KAL section, the 2007 Year of the Stash...there are LOTS of stash busting ideas, with "rules" to follow!!!

That's how I did it. It doesn't work 100% of the time but for the most part I've been really good. My DH commented the other day about how long it's been since I've bought any yarn. I'm waiting until I've finished some or at least one of my UFOs, and when I do, look out Tangled Web, here I come. :teehee:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

cinnybuns
03-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't get it. Why do you want to stop? I want at least one of each item, and I'm OK with duplicates of the really good stuff.

Maybe someday I'll do my Alexander the Great impression and sit down and cry because there are no new Knitting gadgets to purchase (OK, he cried because there were no new world to conquer, but you get the idea.

Joe

I don't want to stop I need to stop. For the past 2 months I've been spending around $20-$80 each week on yarn or some knitting thing.. I'm starting to feel the effect of spending so much. :doh:

xxx

imported_Knitty_Kat
03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
What made me realize I didn't need a single skein of yarn was when I put everything into perspective. I broke out my entire stash and was shocked when I realized I had singlehandedly amassed enough yarn to open a small shop LOL

Since then, I have been knitting from my stash. If there is a project I want to work on, but don't have the specific yarn for it, I comb my stash for a comparable yarn. I've made a lot of gifts. I'm determined to not buy another yarn, even ones I find on sale at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

Miss Moosey
03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
What I do is I challenge myself not to buy any more yarn until I've used up every single scrap of yarn in my house!

This requires good thinking because you need to ration the yarn you have for the projects you want to do. Also, you need to figure out what to do with pesky scraps of yarn, from smaller balls down to 3-inch long strands.

It can be a fun challenge!
Rebecca

cathoo
03-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Hello,

My name is cinnybuns and i'm a yarn/knitting notionsaholic. Please help, how do i stop :wall: :pout:

Since no one else has said it yet... send it to me!!!

Seriously, I have a smallish shelf where I keep all my knitting stuff. Everything has to fit on that shelf, or I can't have it. To make more room, I knit stuff up or give it away. I also avoid buying books, magazines and patterns. If I don't look at them, I won't get ideas about more stuff to buy!

aineepooh1
03-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I keep all of my yarn goodies in canvas storage boxes with a plastic window so I can see all my goodies..
I keep all mykniting accessories in a pretty basket underneath so I can just grab and go if I need something~ for me ought of site is out of mind... meaning. if I see I have one.. I don't really need another.. i can't use 2 at once but if I don't see it I think I don't have one and I am going to buy it at the store..
also: just like grocery shopping make a list of what you have and what you need: if you (like me) collect tapestry needles (4sets so far) to seam up your projects. ..put it out in the basket so you can see it and play with it and it may help decrease the urge to spend more$$

I also think the stashbusting idea is a good one b/c if we make ourselves use what we have we have to take an inventory of all our knititng goodies and we dont' realize how much we have..
also: if it's really biting into your budget: consider the buy/sell/ swap thread here on KH I am sure someone would love to trade your X for their Y in their knititng stash..
It's like grocery shopping; you have to have a list and dont go in the store hungry b/c everything looks good and you can't POSSIBLY use it all~!!! :hug:

rebecca
03-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh My, I'm like several others....I'm on the "Why Stop?!" wagon, LOL and always will be...I am a Yarn/Knitty Book/Accessory Addict and always will be :wink: