PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Blanket #2 is Back Home in NC!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shandeh
03-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Many of you are aware of our Oddball Charity Blanket project. Each knitter knits 300 stitches for 3 inches, then mails the blanket to the next person on the list. Right now, our first blanket has just started traveling all over the nation. :cheering: When the blanket is completed, it will be given to charity.

Now, we are taking sign-ups for Oddball Blanket #2. Once again, we will need 25 knitters.

Here is our list of knitters so far for Oddball Blanket #2:
Shandeh
lucky_alf2
jamadian75
itsjustmeghan
Dangles
stacy.duval
losnana
Cristy
letah75
lissalue
misha rf
newamy

If my math is correct, we have room for 13 more knitters, and then we'll be ready to go on Blanket #2!!!

letah75
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Two charities down, a million to go!!!! :cheering:

Lieke
03-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Sandeh, I pm'ed you. I'm afraid i'm to busy right now to participate and not let anyone down. I've got some serious deadlines, which I won't be able to make anyway without getting less sleep, so I'm afraid I won't be albe to participate soon. I've got more time after 27 april, so I'm afraid that'll take to long for the blanket. I'm sorry, but I don't want to let anybody down :hug: :pout:

GennyLynn1962
03-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in #2 either. As you all know I've got a lot of projects going on right now along with a wedding and a new nephew on the way.

But don't forget about me on #3 or #4 depending on how fast you get them going.

:heart:

Cristy
03-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Could you guys move to the end of the list so that it's a while before it gets to you? I'd be happy to move up the list so that the blanket gets to the others later in the game if that helps them be involved....

letah75
03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I would be happy to move up the list on #2 as well.

misha rf
03-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Same here! I'm willing to switch! (Shandeh, if switching means I'd get the blanket before April 12th, just send it to the first address.)

Shandeh
03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Thank you all for being so cooperative! :hug:

The list at the top of this thread is NOT in order yet. It's just a list of participants.

SO.......

If those of you who have stepped out would like to step back in, just let me know! It's EASY to put you at the end of the list. No trouble at all!

And by the way, I cast on 300 stitches last night for our blanket!
:cheering: :muah: :heart: :muah: :cheering:

misha rf
03-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Woo hoo!!!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

newamy
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
So we can participate in both blankets??

I would be happy to also work on the second one. But if you have a lot of interested new participants I would also be willing to bow out so others could have chance.

Amy

Shandeh
03-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks Amy! :muah:

letah75
03-15-2007, 04:59 PM
WOW Shandeh you are quick. Are you going to start another blog for #2 :teehee:

I was just wondering (I might have missed it) have you decided on a charity for the first one yet? Do you know if we are going to give the second one to a charity in a different city from the first one?

humblestumble
03-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Count me in! :heart:

AnreeAce
03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Count me in on this one!

HamaLee
03-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm with NewAmy...I'm excited to be participating in the first blanket and would be happy to be involved with the second. However I'd like for other people to get the chance as well...so you can put me down as a pinch hitter!

If for some reason you can't get 25 people signed up for this blanket toss me on the list...but then feel free to take me off so that someone new can join late. And then I can go on the emergency list in case someone has to back out....I'm tired, hope I made sense!

Dangles
03-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Wheee, can't wait to start :cheering:

beckyrhae
03-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I would like to be part of blanket #2 as well.

REVS
03-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Can I play too?
I'm pretty new to knitting and have never made a blanket, but I sure would like to try.

I was thinking about joining for #1, but got discouraged about being new etc. :oops:
I'd love to have a chance this time around...

Also someone said there's a blog for #1. Can someone post a link? It would be great to see what you guys did on #1, for ideas...

Shandeh
03-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for joining Humblestumble, AnreeAce, beckyrhae, and REVS!
:muah:
Just send me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll add you to the list!
:hug:

HamaLee, I will keep you on the list, just in case! :heart:

letah75, I think that each blanket should get its own blog, don't you?
And I haven't yet decided which charity to give the blankets to. I think we should all make that decision together. When the blanket has progressed through a few more knitters, I think I'll put up a poll for people to vote on the charity they would like it to go to. (I will offer about 4 options.)

Each of the blankets so far will have to end up back at my place, so I can get my knitting needles back and make a final border around the blankets. Then, if possible, we will mail it to the KH knitter who lives nearest our preferred charity to make the presentation in person. Otherwise, we will just mail it to the charity.

REVS, Here's the offsite blog for the first blanket:
http://oddball-blanket.blogspot.com/

And here's the KH thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27059&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) for the other blanket.

Shandeh
03-15-2007, 11:06 PM
I've been thinking about what some of you have said, and you're exactly right. The ones who worked on the first blanket should let new knitters participate this time.

SO.....I'm gonna wait to see who is interested first. THEN, I'll make a list of participating knitters. We've just GOTTA be FAIR now, don't we? :muah:

Right now, we have 10 new knitters signed up. Let's see how many more new knitters we can get! :happydance:

Hey! Maybe we'll have enough for TWO more blankets! :cheering:

letah75
03-15-2007, 11:44 PM
I think thats a great idea. I would like to be a pinch knitter.

I think each blanket needs it's own blog. If you need help with it let me know.

Shandeh
03-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I think thats a great idea. I would like to be a pinch knitter. I think each blanket needs it's own blog. If you need help with it let me know.
Thanks so MUCH, letah!!! I'll probably take you up on that offer!

Cristy
03-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm ok w/ letting the new people go first, etc....I only offered to step in so that a new blanket would get going and these interested people wouldn't have to wait forever. Go ahead and push me to the side and put me back on if you need to. If you don't need me, I'm okay w/ not participating in #2 since I'm already scheduled for #1.

misha rf
03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Ditto what Cristy said!

SharonB13
03-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I want to be part of Blanket #2!

Do you still have room on the list?

I'm a relatively new knitter (since Dec 2006), but I'm doing well and have a bunch of yarns left over from projects.

Let me know.

Shandeh
03-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I want to be part of Blanket #2!

Do you still have room on the list?

I'm a relatively new knitter (since Dec 2006), but I'm doing well and have a bunch of yarns left over from projects.

Let me know.
You are MORE THAN WELCOME to join, my friend! :muah:
Just send me a PM with your mailing address so I can add you to the list of knitters.

Shandeh
03-16-2007, 01:50 PM
AnreeAce and REVS, I still need your mailing address.

REVS
03-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Yay, I'm in! :happydance:

Shandeh: I just PM'ed you my address. Thanks for organizing all this and for posting the link to #1.

letah75
03-16-2007, 04:07 PM
For anyone who is interested, it's still in the begining stages, but here (http://secondoddball-knitalong.blogspot.com/) you go. Don't know about buttons and such, but there is the begining of the blog.

If anyone thinks anything should change, just let me know.

REVS
03-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Wow, thanks letah75!

We have our own blog already!!!
Yay! :cheering:

Thank you!

Ruth

Shandeh
03-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for making our blog for Blanket #2, letah!!! :muah:

Here is the list of new knitters signed up for the blanket so far:
(this list is NOT in order yet)

Dangles (Canada)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
jamadian75 (Florida)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
stacy.duval (Texas)
losnana (Virginia)
humblestumble (Texas)
AnreeAce (?)
beckyrhae (Texas)
REVS (Washington)
SharonB13 (Alabama)

That makes 12 knitters, counting me (since I'm casting on and adding the border). So, we still need 13 more to make the blanket complete!

I do still have 6 knitters who would like to work on both blankets. So, if we don't get 13 new knitters, we will bring them into the total count.

REVS
03-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Trying out if the buttons in my signature work now...
I used yours Shandeh for the blanket - hope that's okay.

Shandeh
03-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Of COURSE it's okay, REVS! That's what the button is for!
Thanks for using it!

Tonight, my hubby took me to Hobby Lobby to do some dreaming and shopping, and I am SO GLAD he did! I found all these knitting books on sale for RIDICULOUS prices!

The little colorful notebook on the bottom right will be our notebook for Blanket #2! :hug:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/423537429_8148490c1f.jpg

HollyP
03-16-2007, 09:27 PM
:waving: Hi ! I would love to be part of Blanket #2 if you need to more knitters to beef up the list. Just let me know!

I am having such a good time following # 1. I can't wait for it to get to me!!

Shandeh
03-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks Holly! :hug:

MarDi
03-17-2007, 01:08 AM
What a fabulous idea! I'd love to be a part of it, please count me in if you still need a knitter! :)

Shandeh
03-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Thanks MarDi! :hug:
Just send me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll add you to the list!
:)

itsjustmeghan
03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
WAHOOO!!!!!! :cheering:
i'm excited!

Shandeh
03-17-2007, 12:08 PM
:muah: :heart: :muah:
Me too!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

scarlettbegonias1
03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I asked on the other thread of this forum but if you still need knitters, I would loooove to join.

This will be my first KAL!! I really hope there is room left!!

:happydance:

lestrella
03-17-2007, 03:18 PM
letah, great job with the blog.

letah75
03-17-2007, 03:41 PM
letah, great job with the blog.

:cheering: Thanks!

If people participating have a blog, pm the adddress to me. I can post a link. That way, people participating can get to know each other better.

Just a thought. But really thanks, I've only really started blogging since the middle of last month, so that make me feel good.

Shandeh
03-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I asked on the other thread of this forum but if you still need knitters, I would loooove to join.
This will be my first KAL!! I really hope there is room left!!
:happydance:
Sure thing, my friend! Send me a PM with your mailing address, and it will all be official. :)

Shandeh
03-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Here is the updated list of new knitters signed up for the blanket so far:

Dangles (Canada)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
jamadian75 (Florida)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
stacy.duval (Texas)
losnana (Virginia)
humblestumble (Texas)
AnreeAce (?)
beckyrhae (Texas)
REVS (Washington)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
scarlettbegonias1 (?)

That makes 14 knitters, counting me (since I'm casting on and adding the border). So, we still need 11 more to make the blanket complete!

nadja la claire
03-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi I've just discovered this thread. If you're on the list how long do you have to complete your part of the afghan and how many rows do you have to do? Oh and do your rows all have to be in the color and pattern?

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

lestrella
03-17-2007, 06:21 PM
nadja, I believe you get to knit 3 inches, any stitch and any color that you like. You have up to two weeks to work on it and pass it to the next person.

scarlettbegonias1
03-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Now that I am officially involved, I thought I would add the cute picture!! Whoo hoo :happydance:

Shandeh
03-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi I've just discovered this thread. If you're on the list how long do you have to complete your part of the afghan and how many rows do you have to do? Oh and do your rows all have to be in the color and pattern?

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

I apologize, Nadja...I should have put this information at the top of the thread. :doh:

Oddball Blanket Knitters receive the blanket at their home address, then they have TWO WEEKS to complete their portion of the blanket. Each knitter knits for 3 inches on the 300 stitch blanket, using any washable worsted weight yarn in their stash. When they complete their knitting, they contact Shandeh (me) who will tell them where to send it next.

So far, each knitter has sent a few fun items along with the blanket, as a way to introduce themself to the next person. It's fun! :hug:

When the blanket is complete, it will be given to charity. :heart:

RiverDaughter
03-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I am so down with this. I don't want to start my own long term project right now because of how may little projects I hae going, but helping out on a huge blanket like this would be awesome! :cheering:

That, and it should be a lot of fun to do while catching up with my BattleStar Gallactica. :teehee:

Shandeh
03-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Shandeh (North Carolina)
Dangles (Canada)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
jamadian75 (Florida)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
stacy.duval (Texas)
losnana (Virginia)
humblestumble (Texas)
AnreeAce (Oregon)
beckyrhae (Texas)
REVS (Washington)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
scarlettbegonias1 (North Carolina)
RiverDaughter (Wyoming)
bobi1218 (Maryland)

That makes 16 knitters.
We still need 9 more to make the blanket complete!

I knit two rows on the blanket last night, until I started falling asleep in my rocking chair. :teehee:

I'll work on it again tomorrow. :heart:

letah75
03-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Shandeh,
Are you knitting it in the same yarn you used on the last blanket? I really liked it.

Thanks for the update, it's been posted in the blog.

bobi1218
03-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Do you have room for another newbie?? I would love to be a part of this! I missed the sign-ups for the first blanket, but I'm really interested in doing this one :)

AnreeAce
03-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Sandy, thanks for reminding me to get you my mailing address... sorry I spaced it for a few days there. :roll:

I'm looking forward to this!

Shandeh
03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Do you have room for another newbie?? I would love to be a part of this! I missed the sign-ups for the first blanket, but I'm really interested in doing this one :)
Sure we do, my friend! :hug: We have room for 10 more knitters! :)
Just send me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll add you to the list.

Shandeh
03-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Shandeh,
Are you knitting it in the same yarn you used on the last blanket? I really liked it.
Thanks, my friend! :hug:
I'm using the same brand of yarn, in a different colorway. It's SO easy to knit with. I'll post a photo as soon as I knit enough rows to be photogenic. :teehee:

We now have 16 knitters, so we have room for 9 more!

kristinw
03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
I was checking out the other thread and thought this sounded like fun! I'm in! I'll PM you in a bit! :cheering:

Shandeh
03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks kristin! :heart:

Now, our list has REALLY grown! :happydance:

Shandeh (North Carolina)
Dangles (Canada)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
jamadian75 (Florida)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
stacy.duval (Texas)
losnana (Virginia)
humblestumble (Texas)
AnreeAce (Oregon)
beckyrhae (Texas)
REVS (Washington)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
RiverDaughter (Wyoming)
bobi1218 (Maryland)
kristinw (New Hampshire)

That makes 17 knitters.
We still need 8 more to make the blanket complete!

If you want to be part of our new blanket, you'd better sign up FAST!

scarlettbegonias1
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
It is possible that this has already been answered but do we just use any kind of yarn?

Shandeh
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
You can use any washable worsted weight yarn. :)
Maybe we should call it the "WWW" blanket? :teehee:

Shandeh
03-20-2007, 01:57 AM
I knit another row on the blanket tonight, while watching The Lord of the Rings on DVD in my craft room.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/427794244_7f777bf3f5.jpg

LadyB
03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I think it would be fun to do this, but I have a question. If there are 25 people working on this blanket, and each knits 3", then you end up with 75", not including the border, not the 60" including the border that is stated on the website, don't you? :?? That's over 6 feet! Is this correct? Sorry if I'm being difficult -- I don't mean to be. Just honestly wondering if this is correct. Thanks.

SharonB13
03-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Oooh, good question. I hadn't done the math, but you're right 75 inches or 6 1/4 feet. That's one looong blankie.

stacy.duval
03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
That's a good blankie! I hate little blankets. Especially since I'm tall.

letah75
03-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I think it would be fun to do this, but I have a question. If there are 25 people working on this blanket, and each knits 3", then you end up with 75", not including the border, not the 60" including the border that is stated on the website, don't you? :?? That's over 6 feet! Is this correct? Sorry if I'm being difficult -- I don't mean to be. Just honestly wondering if this is correct. Thanks.

I think the 60' is the width, and the 80' is the length. When Shandeh get's the blanket back from the last knitter it should be 75' long, then she will be adding a boarder. I don't know how wide it is now, but it's worsted weight yarn. You figure approx. 5 stitches per inch to worsted weight, and 300 stitches (width) that will be 60ish inches. Some people will knit tighter, some looser, and some patterns will pull in, so it might be less than 60 inches when Shandeh gets it.

Now I don't know if I figured this right, as Shandeh is the Oddball expert :teehee:

AnreeAce
03-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Shandeh is the Oddball expert :teehee:

:roflhard:

PaperGirl
03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
OK...I think I may be brave enough to try this out. It sounds like a great project, and a wonderful cause!

I was looking through the other thread, and wondering...how far along is that first one?

Do you still have room for one more knitter on this one? And will those needles come along with the blanket? Cause I dont have any that size yet...

I need to look in my stash for some WWW yarn for this....

I know....such noob questions... :oops:

If I could, Id love to join...Im still a relative new knitter though...so there wont be any fancy stitch work from me.... :roflhard:

letah75
03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Just pm Shandeh your address. I'll add you as a knitter on the blog.

Shandeh
03-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi LadyB! :waving: Letah is correct with her calculations. It will be 60 inches wide by 80 inches long, which is the average size of a full/queen blanket. I want the recipient to be able to use the blanket on a daily basis. :thumbsup:

Thanks for highlighting letah's comment, Anree. :? :teehee:

I was looking through the other thread, and wondering...how far along is that first one?

Do you still have room for one more knitter on this one? And will those needles come along with the blanket?

If I could, Id love to join...Im still a relative new knitter though...so there wont be any fancy stitch work from me.... :roflhard:

Papergirl, those are good questions. Nothing silly at all.
#1 - so far, the blanket has been knit by 3 knitters, and is in the home of the 4th.

#2 - YES! We have room for you to join. Send me a PM, and I'll put you on the list!

#3 - YES! The needles will travel with the blanket as it goes all over the continent. I will welcome my needles back home when the blanket is finished. :hug:

Don't worry about "fancy" stitches. I'm doing all my knitting with garter stitch - just plain ole knitting. :)

PaperGirl
03-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Yay! Ill PM you right now.

It sounds so fun!

letah75
03-20-2007, 02:05 PM

:rofl: :roflhard:
He he. I meant it with :heart: :hug: :muah:

AnreeAce
03-20-2007, 02:18 PM

:shrug:

It's all part of the service... trying my best to keep the sarcasm level appropriate! :teehee:

Dangles
03-20-2007, 03:15 PM

:teehee: Shandeh without your planning and organisation there would be no blanket so :hug: :muah: for doing such a great deed! :cheering: :cheering:

Ginger0104
03-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I'd like to participate if there is still room :)

humblestumble
03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
in the name of all things holy, good God! That is a large blanket! I think it's a good idea to be that large though for the recipient. You never know if they will be tall or really need that extra comfort.

Wont the shipping get exponentially more expensive as the peice is nearing the end?

Shandeh
03-20-2007, 06:02 PM

:teehee: Shandeh without your planning and organisation there would be no blanket so :hug: :muah: for doing such a great deed! :cheering: :cheering:
Yay! Another quote tunnel! I love these things. :teehee:
Thank you guys for the sweet encouragement. I think we ALL are doing a good deed TOGETHER! :hug:

I'd like to participate if there is still room :)
Ginger, just send me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll put you on the list! :thumbsup:

That is a large blanket! I think it's a good idea to be that large though for the recipient. You never know if they will be tall or really need that extra comfort. Wont the shipping get exponentially more expensive as the peice is nearing the end?
It won't be too bad - kinda like your average blanket you buy at Target, I guess. :shrug:

The shipping shouldn't be more than 8 dollars when the blanket is full size. If any of you need help with the shipping, just let me know. I can mail a few dollars to you when you get the blanket. Also, I can put you near the top of the list, so the shipping won't be as high. Just send me a PM to let me know.

Shandeh
03-20-2007, 06:05 PM

Shandeh (North Carolina)
Dangles (Canada)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
jamadian75 (Florida)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
stacy.duval (Texas)
losnana (Virginia)
humblestumble (Texas)
AnreeAce (Oregon)
beckyrhae (Texas)
REVS (Washington)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
RiverDaughter (Wyoming)
bobi1218 (Maryland)
kristinw (New Hampshire)
PaperGirl (Texas)
ElenTikvah (Wisconsin)

That makes 19 knitters.
We still need 6 more to make the blanket complete!

If you want to be part of our new blanket, you'd better sign up FAST!

LadyB
03-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks! I figured the problem was my uhh...figuring, :shifty: :oops: so
thank you for clearing that up. I'd like to participate too. PMing Shandeh.

Shandeh
03-20-2007, 11:03 PM

I know, my friend. :hug:
I wasn't offended at ALL! :muah:

Shandeh
03-20-2007, 11:04 PM
So, now we have 20 knitters.
ONLY FIVE SPOTS LEFT!!!!

letah75
03-20-2007, 11:39 PM

I know, my friend. :hug:
I wasn't offended at ALL! :muah:

Oh yeah!!! I know my friends have called me worse, with well meaning intent. :doh:

I didn't really think you took it wrong, but ya never know. I just think you're wonderful going to all this effort!!! The idea itself was wonderful, let alone all the organization.

Shandeh is one of my heroes (<--- I love that show...ok, random ADHD moment, sorry, back to Shandeh).

P.S. I've told everyone I know about this project and they think it is just WONDERFUL!!!

Shandeh
03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Some of the people I've told about it have said that we should contact Oprah! :teehee:

letah75
03-21-2007, 01:22 AM
I think that would be cool! Or Montel :teehee:

Maury wouldn't touch the topic....oh, wait, 25 people will have had their hands on it....I guess we wouldn't be able to say for certain who the "parent" is. :roflhard:

Seriously, I think it's a wonderful idea. Worst case scenario it's not something she'd be interested in. At the very least you should contact your local news station. I think it would be a great piece.

Also, I thought of another possible charity (not like we have enough possibilities right). The American Red Cross. They go out when people's houses have burned down, and they have nothing left in the world. This blanket, or one of the many Oddballs that will be spawned from this, would be something wonderful to receive after loosing everything you/your family own.

Rennagayle
03-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Well, if those five slots are still open, I'd like to participate. If they're filled up, that's okay. I can catch the next one around. :wink:

I see the blanket will be stopping off at a few others' in Texas.

Shandeh
03-21-2007, 02:14 AM

Shandeh (North Carolina)
Dangles (Canada)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
jamadian75 (Florida)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
stacy.duval (Texas)
losnana (Virginia)
humblestumble (Texas)
AnreeAce (Oregon)
beckyrhae (Texas)
REVS (Washington)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
RiverDaughter (Wyoming)
bobi1218 (Maryland)
kristinw (New Hampshire)
PaperGirl (Texas)
ElenTikvah (Wisconsin)
LadyB (Arizona)
Rennagayle (Texas)

That makes 21 knitters!!! :cheering:
We only need 4 more to make the blanket complete!

Right now, the geographic order is looking like this:
North Carolina, Canada, Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, Arizona, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, and Florida, then back to North Carolina.

AnreeAce
03-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Oh, I'm so excited about this!

I love the idea of it wandering its way around the continent, picking up love & hope on the way.

Shandeh
03-21-2007, 10:46 AM

Shandeh (North Carolina)
Dangles (Canada)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
jamadian75 (Florida)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
stacy.duval (Texas)
losnana (Virginia)
humblestumble (Texas)
AnreeAce (Oregon)
beckyrhae (Texas)
REVS (Washington)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
RiverDaughter (Wyoming)
bobi1218 (Maryland)
kristinw (New Hampshire)
PaperGirl (Texas)
ElenTikvah (Wisconsin)
LadyB (Arizona)
Rennagayle (Texas)
Ginger0104 (California)

That makes 22 knitters!!! :)
We only need 3 more to make the blanket complete!

Right now, the geographic order is looking like this:
North Carolina, Canada, Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, California, Arizona, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, and Florida, then back to North Carolina.

Rennagayle
03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
It appears the blanket will be spending the majority of it's knitting time in Texas. 8) :sun: :woohoo:

PS-I plan to take it to my S&B group, and ask my friends there to knit a few stitches, so they can feel the love, too. :grphug: :heart:

PaperGirl
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I cant wait to see it! DH LOVES the idea! Hes already helping me pick a color and stitch to use.

XbelovedXoneX
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd really like to do this. I don't know how I didn't pick up on it earlier in past threads! Does anyone know how much the postage is costing once it gets toward the heavier end? I'm on a pretty tight budget.

knitknut
03-21-2007, 02:35 PM
:star: Please add me to the list!! Yay, another Texan!!!

mjscott
03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Shandeh if there are still spots left that haven't been filled with new people I would be interested in participating in this one as well. Just let me know.
Maranda

jamadian75
03-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone! :waving:

I'm posting here so I'll get notified when this thread is updated!

Looking forward to my turn! :heart:

Dangles
03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone! :waving:

I'm posting here so I'll get notified when this thread is updated!

Looking forward to my turn! :heart:

:waving::waving: jamadian75 :)

I can't wait for the balnket to begin it's trek wheee.... :happydance:

SharonB13
03-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Shandeh,

My sister-in-law wants to participate as well.

Is there still room?

Sharon

stagebear
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
i can do it - could i be in the earlier section? we might be moving, so i \would love to get it before then.

Shandeh
03-21-2007, 11:02 PM
XbelovedXoneX, knitknut, and stagebear,
SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR MAILING ADDRESS, SO I CAN ADD YOU TO THE LIST! :hug:

I'd really like to do this. I don't know how I didn't pick up on it earlier in past threads! Does anyone know how much the postage is costing once it gets toward the heavier end? I'm on a pretty tight budget.
When the blanket is at its largest, it shouldn't cost more than 8 dollars to ship. If you're having financial woes, just let me know, and I'll put you closer to the top of the list.

Shandeh if there are still spots left that haven't been filled with new people I would be interested in participating in this one as well. Just let me know.
Maranda
Maranda, we're sticking with new knitters this time, who didn't get to work on the first blanket. Thanks, though! :muah:

Shandeh,
My sister-in-law wants to participate as well.
Is there still room?
Sharon
Sharon, I think we're full of KH knitters now, but I'll let you know.

Shandeh
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
PS-I plan to take it to my S&B group, and ask my friends there to knit a few stitches, so they can feel the love, too. :grphug: :heart:
What a GREAT idea! :heart: :hug: :heart:

I cant wait to see it! DH LOVES the idea! He's already helping me pick a color and stitch to use.
What a sweet hubby you have! :muah:

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Yay!!! The list is ready, and IN ORDER now! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Here are our Oddball Blanket Knitters for Blanket #2:

Shandeh (North Carolina)
Dangles (Canada)
REVS (Washington)
AnreeAce (Oregon)
RiverDaughter (Wyoming)
Ginger0104 (California)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
LadyB (Arizona)
beckyrhae (Texas)
knitknut (Texas)
humblestumble (Texas)
stacy.duval (Texas)
PaperGirl (Texas)
Rennagayle (Texas)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
ElenTikvah (Wisconsin)
XbelovedXoneX (Michigan)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
kristinw (New Hampshire)
stagebear (Pennsylvania)
bobi1218 (Maryland)
losnana (Virginia)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
jamadian75 (Florida)

And here is our map, showing how the blanket will travel throughout the continent! :)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/430052601_800d881c8b.jpg

Rennagayle
03-22-2007, 01:09 AM
YeeHaw! :cheering:

Dangles
03-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Yipeee!! :cheering: :cheering: :happydance:

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 01:36 AM
I'm almost finished with my section of the blanket! I'll probably mail it to Canada by this weekend!
:cheering:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/430073986_01e9354603.jpg

Rennagayle
03-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Ooh, lovely. :heart:

REVS
03-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Yippee-yay! We're on! :cheering:

And I'm right after Canada (Dangles), that's neat!

Shandeh, what's the yarn you are using? It's very pretty, such soft shades. Please do tell!

Happy knitting everyone,

AnreeAce
03-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Shandeh, soooooo preeeeety!

I'm third in line, so excited! Perhaps I should commence dithering over yarn and stitches....

itsjustmeghan
03-22-2007, 10:26 AM
YEAH!!!! :muah:
i'm so excited!
i teach knitting in my office at work on fridays, and i told my group about it. they're all excited and want to help knit my 3 inches. we talked about starting our own charity blanket that we could keep in the office, and if someone doesn't have a project that day but gets the urge to knit (which in this stressful time at work, there is a LOT of knitting going on) it will be there to comfort them.

yeah!!! :D

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Ooh, lovely. :heart:
Thank you, Renna! :heart:

Shandeh, what's the yarn you are using? It's very pretty, such soft shades. Please do tell!
The yarn is a sample skein I received from a yarn company in my area. I was introduced to a lady who works there, and she gave me 200 skeins of yarn for my charity knitting! :)

The skein label says, "Classic Worsted", and it looks an AWFUL lot like this yarn (http://www.universalyarn.com/yarn.php?id=39) by Universal Yarn, Inc.

If any of you need a skein of yarn for your section of the blanket, just let me know. :hug:

Perhaps I should commence dithering over yarn and stitches....
Dither away, my friend! :muah:

We talked about starting our own charity blanket that we could keep in the office, and if someone doesn't have a project that day but gets the urge to knit (which in this stressful time at work, there is a LOT of knitting going on) it will be there to comfort them.
Wow! That's a GREAT idea! :thumbsup:
The Oddball Blanket is getting a life of its own! :sun:

tarrentella
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
oo it would be good to start a UK charity blanket too (i think posting trans atlantic might get a bt difficult!) its a great idea :)

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
tarrentella, there was another European knitter that wanted to make one also, but I can't remember who it was. Lieke maybe?

Maybe you guys can get one started over there. That would be AWESOME! :star:

PaperGirl
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Oooohhhhh! I cant wait! :cheering:

Dangles
03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
The skein label says, "Classic Worsted", and it looks an AWFUL lot like this yarn (http://www.universalyarn.com/yarn.php?id=39) by Universal Yarn, Inc.

If any of you need a skein of yarn for your section of the blanket, just let me know. :hug:

I might have to take you up on that Shandeh. I looked at my stash and realised that my ball of Bernat yarn is only DK weight :doh: Must digga deeper into my mini stash. :thinking:

Now I get to hunt for something Canadian to send to REVS ... unless REVS you get up here frequently :P

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I'll send a skein along with the blanket! :hug:

Dangles
03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
I'll send a skein along with the blanket! :hug:

Oooh wait, I found a skien of Caron SS in Heather Grey. :cheering:

Great looking yarn, Shandeh!

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
That yarn will be PERFECT, my friend! :hug:

bobi1218
03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Yay!!! I've got a while before it gets to me, but I'm thinking about stitches and yarn already :) I can't wait to follow our blanket's progress on the blog!

REVS
03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Dangles, oh, that's perfect! And I like that I know your color now, means I can look around for my own stuff to use and it'll fit with your choice!
Thanks!
I get to Canada maybe only 2 or 3 times a year, but I :heart: :heart: it there. Wish I could go more often...
You know you don't have to send me anything, but if you absolutely want to - I'll be happy with whatever you pick. Makes waiting for the blanket even more exciting! :)

Shandeh, thanks for the link to the yarn. Had never heard of that brand...
I might go out and get something. I don't have a huge stash that's washable... Looking forward to it.

MarDi
03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Shandeh, your yarn choice is so pretty!

It'll soon be starting the great Oddball trek, I can't wait 'til it gets here!

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Last night, I was thinking, "Well, I only have a couple rows left", and then I measured my progress. 1 1/2 inches. So, that means I'm done for now.

I usually knit one and one half inches at the beginning and the end of each blanket, to give it a sense of "closure". (I'm weird that way.) :teehee:

So, now I'm getting the package together. I've printed a memo to travel with the blanket, with instructions on what each person should do. I'm also including a notebook for us to use as a journal during the knitting of the blanket. I'm putting a dryer sheet in with the blanket as well, to keep it smelling fresh during all its travels.

The only thing left to add to the package is a surprise for Dangles. Hmmmm....what to add, what to add.

Dangles, tell me more about yourself, so I can come up with some ideas.

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 11:29 PM
I just received a request from LadyB to move her to the end of the list, so I've placed her just after our Florida knitter, and before the blanket comes back to North Carolina.

Here are our Oddball Blanket Knitters for Blanket #2:

Shandeh (North Carolina)
Dangles (Canada)
REVS (Washington)
AnreeAce (Oregon)
RiverDaughter (Wyoming)
Ginger0104 (California)
lucky_alf2 (Arizona)
beckyrhae (Texas)
knitknut (Texas)
humblestumble (Texas)
stacy.duval (Texas)
PaperGirl (Texas)
Rennagayle (Texas)
itsjustmeghan (Illinois)
ElenTikvah (Wisconsin)
XbelovedXoneX (Michigan)
MarDi (New Hampshire)
kristinw (New Hampshire)
stagebear (Pennsylvania)
bobi1218 (Maryland)
losnana (Virginia)
SharonB13 (Alabama)
jamadian75 (Florida)
LadyB (Arizona)

I won't bother with changing the map for our blog, just to keep things simple.

lucky_alf2
03-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Oh I'm SO excited!!! Can't wait!! Thanks so much for organizing this Shandeh!

Shandeh
03-23-2007, 02:47 PM

RiverDaughter
03-23-2007, 02:49 PM
The worst thing about this project is having to wait until a happy little package full of blanket knitting goodness shows up at your door.

But it's like Christmas, and SOOOOO much fun to wait for! :cheering:

Dangles
03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
The only thing left to add to the package is a surprise for Dangles. Hmmmm....what to add, what to add.

Dangles, tell me more about yourself, so I can come up with some ideas.

Shandeh, I'm a busy mom of two kids DD 2yrs 7 mths (end of month) and DS 7mths (this saturday) ... well three children if you count DH. LOL I like to read, like earthy tones and the colour blue. I can't believe I've only been knitting for 2 months now. :)

Here they are (taken end of January '07):
http://members.shaw.ca/jenn_w/KnC.jpg

How about you REVS, tell me a little about yourself?

Shandeh
03-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Thank you, Dangles! I love the photo of your sweet children! :heart:

humblestumble
03-24-2007, 01:07 AM
IS that noah's ark I see? hehe.

Dangles
03-24-2007, 01:33 AM
IS that noah's ark I see? hehe.

Actually, it is. It's a homemade baby "quilt" blanket that I had an ex-co-worker make up for me. I always liked the name Noah, except when the l'il guy was born ... he did not look like a 'Noah'.

AnreeAce
03-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Look at those chubby cheeks! :inlove:

I've been looking at stitch patterns & doing a lot of muttering. I think I'll wait for yarn choice until the blanket get here. If the Caron SS I've got doesn't match well, I'll just have to take myself off to the store for more... which will break my heart... :---

Shandeh
03-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Andrea :teehee:

Dangles, I have a son named Noah. :heart:

Dangles
03-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Dangles, I have a son named Noah. :heart:

:) Noah was a choice for a first name but since he didn't look like one we named him Caden and thought of using it as a middle name. But nothing flowed right.

I'm so excited about the 'banket' as my 2.5 y/o DD will call it.

bobi1218
03-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Dangles, your kiddos are adorable!!! I'm loving their cheeks :) Just too cute!

letah75
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey all,

I recieved a question asking if people would be getting access to the blog to post their own progress.

I'll leave the decision up to you guys. If you want to post your blanket progress, let me know, and I'll send you an invite to the blog. :hug:

Shandeh
03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
OK, everybody line up to smack Shandeh! I COMPLETELY forgot to mail the package this weekend! :doh:

I was super busy, but that's really no excuse. I'M SORRY! :waah:

letah75
03-26-2007, 12:43 PM
:hug: It's ok, life happens.

PaperGirl
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
:hug: No worries!

Shandeh
03-26-2007, 02:59 PM
You are all so good to me! :muah:

Dangles
03-26-2007, 11:19 PM
OK, everybody line up to smack Shandeh! I COMPLETELY forgot to mail the package this weekend! :doh:

I was super busy, but that's really no excuse. I'M SORRY! :waah:

:hug: Aww, it's OK. I totally understand. :muah: Besides, it gives my bloody eczema flare up a chance to heal on me hands. Sending you some :muah:

stagebear
03-26-2007, 11:54 PM
shandeh, no worries. hope life settles down.

dangles, i get eczema too. but i found that noxema works pretty well. and a prescription my bf got when he had an allergic reaction actually got rid of a bad patch i had for over two years.

Dangles
03-27-2007, 12:26 AM
shandeh, no worries. hope life settles down.

dangles, i get eczema too. but i found that noxema works pretty well. and a prescription my bf got when he had an allergic reaction actually got rid of a bad patch i had for over two years.

thanks for the tip :) :hug:

Shandeh
03-27-2007, 05:39 AM
:hug: Aww, it's OK. I totally understand. :muah: Besides, it gives my bloody eczema flare up a chance to heal on me hands. Sending you some :muah:
I'll take your love, but you can keep the eczema! :teehee:

Just kidding, my friend. I hope you get COMPLETELY better real soon! :hug:

AnreeAce
03-27-2007, 09:24 AM
No smacking! Only hugs! :hug:

It's OK Shandeh, don't sweat it! :muah:

itsjustmeghan
03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
life happens, ya know? :shrug:
i give you props for organizing so many blankets! you are truely a busy lady!
shandeh rocks! :cheering: :happydance:

Shandeh
03-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Wow!

You like me!! You REALLY DO!!!!

:teehee:

OK, so NOW, you can all REALLY love me........

because......

I mailed the blanket today!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Dangles
03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: Yipee... Now I'll just hafta camp outside of my front door haha and await it :teehee:

PaperGirl
03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance:

Shandeh
03-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Dangles, it has extra postage on it, so don't be expecting to pay that much to mail it out yourself. I included some gifts for you, and that took the package over the 4 pound limit. :teehee:

AnreeAce
03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Soooooo excited!

I'm still dithering about a stitch pattern, but I've gotten it narrowed down to about 5 I really like. Of course, I'm liable to change my mind 10-12 times, but, oh well!

Dangles
03-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Dangles, it has extra postage on it, so don't be expecting to pay that much to mail it out yourself. I included some gifts for you, and that took the package over the 4 pound limit. :teehee:

Aww, :hug: :heart: :hug: :heart: , thank-you, thank you, thank-you. My DH will think I'm looney when I squeal over a box :rofl:

When I started to go to knit nites at the LYS, he tells me he's taking up lawn bowling. hehe

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Soooooo excited!

I'm still dithering about a stitch pattern, but I've gotten it narrowed down to about 5 I really like. Of course, I'm liable to change my mind 10-12 times, but, oh well!

Oh the possibilites, :?? what to do what to do ... I don't even know what I am gonna do yet. this will play in part of my hands too. bah :grrr:

scarlettbegonias1
03-29-2007, 10:12 AM
WOw!! I've been away all weekend and all week and I get back and there is a 3rd blanket started!!! That's soo exciting. Shandeh you really are amazing to organize all of these. :notworthy: I can't wait until it's my turn to get it!!!!

Shandeh
03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
:aww:

AnreeAce
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
sigh

I'm home all crampy and miserable. Feeling veryvery sorry for myself and wishing I had this blanket to work on this afternoon. :pout:

I'm still thinking about stitch patterns. Right now I'm thinking about the Tumbling Blocks pattern from The Knitter's Bible.

I think when the blanket gets to me I'll take it to my LYS & ask the folks there to help me pick out yarn. They'll love it!

So, RiverDaughter, you're after me on the blanket map... tell me about yourself so I know what to send with the blanket. Favorite colors? fiber? author? chocolate? Stuff like that.

Shandeh, this is one of the coolest ideas ever!

REVS
03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow, I've been gone for a while too (too much work, too much life...). I've missed a bunch of stuff!!!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Yay, for the blanket being on the way to Canada, this means it's getting closer to me, too! Thanks Shandeh for starting this and organizing us! We love you!!! :muah:
My husband will be traveling for the next 4 weeks. It's great that the blanket might keep me company for part of that!!!

Dangles, I hope your eczema is better! :hug:
I don't remember if I answered your question about myself (long time ago).

AnreeAce, your turn for giving me hints as to what you might enjoy along with the blanket... I'll have time to look around for some things for you...

And what to do about stitch patterns??? Are there any free patterns online or what are some good books with blanket patterns?

REVS
03-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh, and AnreeAce, I'm sorry you're not feeling good. :hug:
It's funny how knitting can make some things better.

Go take care of yourself, have some chocolate, and find some nice knitting project for the interim...
Hope you feel better soon!

Shandeh
03-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Andrea, that block pattern sounds PERFECT! That would look so cool on the blanket. :happydance:

I'm sorry you don't have the blanket yet. Maybe you could make a newborn baby hat for charity in the meantime. I can help you find a place to donate it. I hope you feel better soon, my friend. :hug:

When you get the blanket, be sure to take photos of everyone with it at the yarn store!!! :)

REVS, thank you for the LOVE!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
I have seen some free blanket stitch patterns online. Let me see if I can find them, and I'll post them here.

Shandeh
03-29-2007, 11:21 PM
I found them!!! :yay:

Knitting Stitch Patterns:

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches.htm

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/stitches.php

AnreeAce
03-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all the love! :muah:

I'm feeling some better, either that or the Vicodin has made me not care so much! The chocolate helped too! :teehee:

Wow, now that somebody else has asked for gift tips I understand just how tough a question that is to answer.

I've recently been afflicted with the sock-knitting bug. I'm doomed, I can tell. I'm going to have to rent a storage facility! So sock yarn is fun to have. Stitch markers are nice. I collect cobalt blue glass and goofy refrigerator magnets.

Sandy, you're a mind-reader! Since I didn't have too much ability to concentrate this afternoons (I tried working on my latest sock... had to tink back about 30 stitches), I cast on for a preemie blanket. There's a NICU here in town which will take all the 9-12 inch blankets it can get. I got a few inches done before I conked out again... might finish it tomorrow or Saturday!

Dangles
03-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Dangles, I hope your eczema is better! :hug:
I don't remember if I answered your question about myself (long time ago).

Nope, not yet. So do tell. :)

REVS
03-30-2007, 02:49 AM
Shandeh,
thanks so much for the pattern links!!! :muah:
I guess reversible is best? Could it be a little lacey? Like the waving grass pattern (or waving grain?)?
And it can't be too ribbed because that would make it pull in, right?
I really liked the elongated chevron, but that would be in the latter category... I'll figure something out.

AnreeAce,
glad things are starting to look up. Thanks for your preferences! It _is_ difficult to come up with something (see below)... What colors do you like in yarn? I'm going to have a good time going out and looking for something for you!

Dangles,
hmm, what to tell you... I'm a research physicist, recently married, and have a sweet and very shy dog. I've started to knit again about a year or so ago. Don't have a ton of time for it, but think and obsess about it a LOT. I'm gathering up momentum to try my first pair of socks!!!
I like all sorts of fibers, best in warm colours. Spring and fall color palette - that's me. I read a fair bit, listen to music, and I volunteer at our local animal shelter. Oh, and I love Northwest Coast Native Art!

Shandeh
03-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Shandeh,
thanks so much for the pattern links!!! :muah:
I guess reversible is best? Could it be a little lacey? Like the waving grass pattern (or waving grain?)?
And it can't be too ribbed because that would make it pull in, right?
Reversible would be PERFECT, and lacy is good. Just be careful about it spreading out too wide. (sometimes those holes are BIG!) And you're absolutely right about the ribbing drawing the stitches in. Cables do the same thing.

I think that simple patterns are best for this blanket. Seed Stitch would be pretty, and Basketweave, etc. It might be cool to see someone put some letters on it too! (With generic words like "love" "hope" "peace"). Or we could have designs like stars or hearts, or whatever comes to mind!

I just love the FREEDOM of this blanket! :grphug:

AnreeAce
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
What colors do you like in yarn?

Blues, greens, and purples mostly. Although with sock yarn I find myself getting quite a bit more adventurous and just getting any old color that appeals.

MUCH better today, I think I'm going to live!

lucky_alf2
03-31-2007, 03:35 AM
Ruth -- I love NW Native Art too! Since childhood I've visited relatives in Vancouver regularly and love to good art-gazing while i am there! I have a neat silver & gold ring I never take off of an Eagle that I just adore!! Kinda neat how we have little things in common -- besides kintting of course!!!

stagebear
04-03-2007, 11:27 AM
I have a question: are we taking into account those with allergies - such as making sure there isnít too much pet fur getting on the project?

stacy.duval
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I think the majority of us have pets, but maybe those with specific allergies could let Shandeh know and they could be at the front of the list, before the people with pets in the household. And for this blanket, it will be washable, so in a pinch it could be washed carefully. Does that sound good?

Shandeh
04-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I will wash the blanket when it comes back to me. And I will be VEWWY VEWWY careful with it. (I'm allergic to most pets myself!)

itsjustmeghan
04-03-2007, 02:35 PM
i have 2 cats, and like most animal owners know, it's REALLY hard keeping cat hair out of your knitting projects. even when you knit exclusively away from home, it seems to follow you everywhere.
when making gifts, i usually make them washable and wash them all up before the gifting. so far so good!

humblestumble
04-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, couldn't the people who are going to send it who have pets get in contact with the people who they are sending to, to see if the other person has allergies or not? And if so, maybe thread a piece of scrap yarn through the stitches, tie it and gently hand wash it? The dander is what people are allergic to.

RiverDaughter
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm not allergic to pets myself (please don't soak the blanket in bee venom, thank you! ), but my boss is HIGHLY allergic to all types of furred animals. So, if the person before me in line has pets, could they please warn me? I'll need to take the appropriate measures so as not to get any animal dander on anything I would be wearing/taking to work with me. :cheering:

REVS
04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Dangles, no allergy worries about lucky me. Did the blanket arrive at your house yet, btw?

I have a dog - that's an FYI for AnreeAce and any others next in line. I also do a bunch of volunteer work at the animal shelter, but usually change clothes and take a shower before anything else when I get home from there.

My dog leaves my knitting alone (thank goodness!!!) but she does live in my apartment. AnreeAce, let me know of any allergies, okay?

Jan in CA
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Frankly I don't think it'll get enough pet fur to be a problem. :shrug: Use a pet hair pick up roller before you send it on and it should be fine.

Rennagayle
04-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Dangles, did the blanket (to be) make it to your house yet? :blooby:

stagebear
04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
i ask because my boyfriend is allergic to cats. i have two (they live in the basement), so it's not too horrible. but i just want to be careful when i get the blanket that he doesn't react to it.

AnreeAce
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Ruth, I've got no pet allergies, so no worries there!

RiverDaughter, I'll do my best to keep the blanket away from the beee venom before I send it to you. :rofl:

Dangles
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Dangles, no allergy worries about lucky me. Did the blanket arrive at your house yet, btw?

Dangles, did the blanket (to be) make it to your house yet? :blooby:

No, not yet. Still waiting for it. :nails: Good ol' postperson has it somewhere. REVS, That's good news. I'm slowly finding goodies for you :)

I've got no pets anyhow, only a stuffed Scooby Doo and Eeyore, are the closest to pets.

Shandeh
04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Be careful with our blanket, US and Canadian mailpersons!!
:pout: :pray: :pout:

stagebear
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
i just got my Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl in the mail! i'm very excited to find a pattern for the blanket.

Shandeh
04-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Cool! 8)

letah75
04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I can't wait for the blanket to get ot you Dangle! This is so exciting. :hug:

Rennagayle
04-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Can anyone tell this technilogically challenged knitter (moi) how to add the "Oddball Charity Knit-Along" button to my profile signature line thingie? :??

Shandeh
04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Here is the link to the photo for the oddball blanket button:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/399375108_2e1056d984_o.jpg

Just paste that link in your signature,
typing before the link, and
after the link.

SharonB13
04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Any news from the blanket yet?

Did it arrive at it's destination?

Rennagayle
04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Just paste that link in your signature,
typing before the link, and
after the link.

Well, DRAT. It's not working for me. I'll go tinker with it some more. :??

edit: Oh, yea, it's working now. I'd left an extra space in there before closing my html. Thanks, Sandy! :cheering:

Shandeh
04-10-2007, 01:35 PM
You're welcome!

I'm not surprised that the blanket is delayed. Packages to Canada take FOREVER. It will probably take a long time to get back in the States too. We'll see. :shrug:

Dangles
04-13-2007, 01:05 AM
*looks out onto her front door step * :nails: nothing yet. :pray: it comes tomorrow

Shandeh
04-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated, my friend! :hug:

Hey, if all else fails, I'll just start another one! :teehee:

AnreeAce
04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Maybe our blanket will arrive today? :shrug:

lucky_alf2
04-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it there yet? Is it there yet? OOOOOH I'm dyin' here, it's taken sooo loooong!!! No idea how your hangin' in there Dangles!!! I'd be a nutcase!

Shandeh
04-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Hello everyone!!!

We have some bad news about our afghan. :pout:

It was mailed to ITALY by mistake!!! :wall:

Ya gotta laugh about it though. I bet that lady in Italy is scratching her head trying to figure it out. :rofl:
(Dangles got the package that should have gone to Italy today, and it has a singing monkey inside!) :roflhard:

SO......back to the drawing board....or should I say "knitting" board? :thinking:

I can start another one and mail it to Dangles. No problem at all.

But, the sad thing is.....my gift to Dangles is gone now. :verysad:

Just to let you know, it was a LOT of vintage knitting magazines. Oh well. I have lots more things in my craft room that I can share. :wink:

letah75
04-17-2007, 08:56 PM
:passedout: If you get it back that will be one well traveled blanket.....OMG, I can just imagine Dangle's face when she opened the package thinking to see the beginning of a blanket and finding a SINGING MONKEY :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Oh, I think I just snorted!!!!!

PHeath
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I would love to be a part of this! Are you still taking new knitters?

Shandeh
04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
PHeath, we already have the 25 knitters required for this blanket. But, if you want, I can add you to the "pinch knitters" list to cover for someone if they have to back out.

Dangles
04-18-2007, 12:18 AM
I was so excited when the doorbell rang ... *thought to myself, yay the postie must know it is my birthday"* I had to wait for to get back from my DD music class. I get home rip into the box that I've been eagerly awaiting. Only to find a gift bag that was packaged 'popcorn' and in it was this was this stinking monkey that moves to the song, "Hey. hey, we're the monkee's, we don't monkey around." As I begin to repack the item, my DD goes, in tears, "Mama, monkey is mine!"

GRRR :!!!: I look outside the box, I see the customs Dec that Sandy filled out. and on the other side of the box was an address to ITALY :!!!: Now, as to how :?? the posties messed it up I just :shrug: I am utterly perplexed.

What to do with this parcel now. take it back to the post office to return to centre. *sigh* I guess the posties failed reading?

RiverDaughter
04-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Maybe we should change the name of the thread to: Package hath arrived in teh Italy.

Silly post office, reading should be required! :teehee:

humblestumble
04-18-2007, 01:10 AM
I would think that with that situation it's possible, that if the postman put the sticker on the wrong box, that the box might be returned to Sandy since it doesn't have a customs sticker on it? OR perhaps the customs stickers got swapped, which I didn't think about... so nevermind - egads.

It's possible that it might get to Dangles still, but unlikely since thats what they take over the other address written on the box.

letah75
04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi all,

Kinda different subject but I thought I'd post this (on all three blankets):

I just wanted to let you know that my ISE4 secret knitter who is from Australia saw the charity blogs, and is planning on starting her own blanket in her country. She is planning on doing one for children, so it'll be a little smaller. They might send a children's book around with the blanket so that everyone can sign the book to go along with the blanket.

It's in the very early planning stages, but she said as soon as I find out who she is, she'll give me the blog address.

How cool. The love is spreading 'round the world from the North American continent! I think it's cool!!!

Jan in CA
04-18-2007, 02:05 AM
HOW in heaven's name did the package go to Italy????????

Singing monkey! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Dangles
04-18-2007, 04:04 AM
HOW in heaven's name did the package go to Italy????????

Singing monkey! :roflhard: :roflhard:

I should film it for you all. haha

As to where OUR package is ...

Destination: unknown

Shandeh
04-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Well, the good thing is.....I still have a craft room FULL of yarn, ready to become another blanket. So, I'm getting started on another one today. I think I'll make this package a bit smaller, so I can afford to mail it quicker. :wink: Then, we won't have to wait so long for it to be received.

bobi1218
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Oh wow! A pic of the singing monkey should definitely go on the blog! :lol:

AnreeAce
04-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Video of the singing monkey would be perfect! :teehee:

PaperGirl
04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Maybe the lady in Italy will realize the boo boo and return it? :shrug:

And I have to know....WHY were you sending a singing monkey to Italy? :roflhard:

Shandeh
04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
It wasn't me!! It wasn't me!!

I guess some other person in line with me at the post office was mailing the monkey to Italy. :thinking:

I wonder if it was an eBay purchase! :shock:

Anyway, SOMEHOW, the post office switched our labels. Mine was sent to Italy, and theirs was sent to Canada. Oh well....that's life. :shrug:

letah75
04-18-2007, 03:02 PM
We definately need a picture/video for the blog!!!!

PaperGirl
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
I second that! :roflhard:

Little Italian monkeys....Im pictures Curious George eating pizza...

Dangles
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
We definately need a picture/video for the blog!!!!

Sure, I'll do it when the little one's in bed. Otherwise all heck would break loose.

I don't if our package was sent to Italy. Dang those posties who cannot read. :wall: :!!!:

PaperGirl
04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
How appropriate is it that Dangles avatar IS a monkey? :roflhard: :muah: :heart:

Dangles
04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
How appropriate is it that Dangles avatar IS a monkey? :roflhard: :muah: :heart:

Yep, it's Curious George :)

letah75
04-18-2007, 07:19 PM

Yep, it's Curious George :)

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh good lord, I just spit beer out of my nose.

Jillle
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
If you go back to the post office, I'm sure they can look up on their computer the date the package was mailed and who mailed it. They usually take a phone number, right?
But, maybe its not worth it to track it down. Its definitely funnier this way! :roflhard: I mean, we know what happened. But, the person in Italy with a box full of knitting!! They must be :?? and :whoosh: and :?????

itsjustmeghan
04-18-2007, 08:17 PM
hahahahahaha
man...you don't come on KH for a couple days, you come back and there's a singing monkey where you thought you left a blanket!! jeepers! and here i was all worried that the thread would be saying "where is meghan? she's supposed to knit next, but we haven't seen her!" hahaha

that's a bummer on the gifts. hopefully the italian woman will send it back. HEY! maybe she's a knitter, and will contribute to the blanket before sending it back! :teehee:

Jan in CA
04-18-2007, 08:51 PM
The PO should pay for the shipping on their screw up! :doh:

Dangles
04-19-2007, 12:34 AM
The PO should pay for the shipping on their screw up! :doh:

I concur!

REVS
04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Wow, I haven't been here in a couple of days either -
I read the updated title of the thread and thought Dangles was singing with joy because the blanket finally arrived...
That's what my brain did to make sense of all this... :teehee:

And then to find out that there's literally a singing monkey involved...
I have to say I think you need to provide evidence, Dangles!

I can't help :rofl: but also :pout:

Is there any info as to who the monkey should have gone to to contact that person and negotiate something about the blanket?

Dangles
04-19-2007, 01:04 AM
This our magic blanket!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/jenn_w/OCBC2%20Monkey.jpg

To view it in action Singing/Dancing Monkey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hefc7z3ATFI)

REVS
04-19-2007, 03:05 AM
It's a PINK singing monkey for goodness sakes!!! :roflhard:

What freak could exchange THIS for our beautiful blanket... :??
They have to be made to pay for this one. Somehow.

Too funny, really!

Thanks for posting this, Dangles!

Dangles
04-19-2007, 03:34 AM
It's a PINK singing monkey for goodness sakes!!! :roflhard:

What freak could exchange THIS for our beautiful blanket... :??
They have to be made to pay for this one. Somehow.

Too funny, really!

Thanks for posting this, Dangles!

Actually, it's purple. The light did no justice.

kristinw
04-19-2007, 07:59 AM
OMG! That is hilarious! :roflhard:

I really think the PO should be able to figure out where the other package went. And they should definitely pay for shipping the package out again.

GennyLynn1962
04-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Goodness, I came on here to see how the blanket is doing and it has been transformed to a purple singing monkey? Only on KH could something like this happen. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I do think the post office should do something, at least pay for the postage, or maybe contact the person who received the blanket and offer to send it back to Sandy?

This is sooo funny, but I hate the loss of the blanket, needles, and gifts.

PaperGirl
04-19-2007, 02:18 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I thihnk Ive been paid back for making letah spit beer out her nose...

I laughed so hard at the monkey I spilled coffee on my lap!

Jan in CA
04-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh. My. God. That is hilarious! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

AnreeAce
04-19-2007, 07:02 PM
A purple singing monkey?!?

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

lucky_alf2
04-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Too funny!! Laughed so hard I cried!!! Real life....stranger than fiction!

:roflhard: :roflhard:

bobi1218
04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
LoL - the monkey is great!! My hubby wants to know what could possibly be so funny on a knitting website to make me laugh this hard :)

Shandeh
04-21-2007, 12:16 PM
My hubby always makes fun of me when I'm on KH. He'll sit there "air-typing" and staring at an imaginary computer screen. Then he'll LAUGH, then he'll concentrate on the imaginary computer screen and "air-type" again. Then he'll LAUGH. :roll:

I think I'm gonna smack him. :teehee:

I started knitting a new beginning for our blanket, using a different variegated yarn in a 20% Wool/80% Acrylic blend. It's looking good so far!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/467213624_d45faacdaa.jpg

Shandeh
04-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh....and Dangles? I definitely think the singing monkey should be your new avatar. :teehee:

letah75
04-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I really like that yarn, it's very pretty.

Shandeh
04-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks Letah, it's yet another skein I received for free from my friend at the yarn company, Universal Yarn. I think it's called "Classic Worsted Long Print" (http://www.universalyarn.com/yarn.php?id=39). Not sure about the color, though.

(edited: I found the label for the yarn. It's color 9725)

REVS
04-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Shandeh, thanks for starting us off again fresh! :muah:
It looks awesome so far! I really liked the previous colors, but these rock, too! Yay for your yarn donor friend! :cheering: :cheering:

Will you bring this to a different post office to mail this time and not leave until all the right labels are on the right package? :teehee:

Yay we have a blanket #2 again without invading Italy... :happydance:

Shandeh
04-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Will you bring this to a different post office to mail this time and not leave until all the right labels are on the right package? :teehee:
DEFINITELY!!! I think I'll send it a quicker way this time too. Last time, the package was heavy, so I couldn't afford the faster service. I'll keep it light this time. :wink:

scarlettbegonias1
04-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow, I feel like Meghan, I have been away for a looong time and now we have singing monkeys. How bizarre! Of all the places for the blanket to go, and it makes it to Italy. ( I have to say, I'm a little jealous) :teehee:

Shandeh
04-22-2007, 06:15 PM
OK, the SECOND Second Oddball Blanket is ready to travel. :)

I have a smaller box this time, so I'll send it Airmail Letter Post or Airmail Parcel Post. or....whatever the post office recommends.

(Don't worry....I'm going to a different post office this time.) :teehee:

AnreeAce
04-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Sandy, the new beginnning looks lovely!

Now then, if it just ends up in the right place this time! :nails:

Shandeh
04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I think we should add a horseshoe, a rabbit's foot, and a 4-leaf clover to the package for LUCK! :teehee:

PaperGirl
04-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Dangles
04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Guess what!!

The postperson showed up with blanket!! Yay!

Here are the kids with the goodies from Sandy :)
http://www.members.shaw.ca/jenn_w/Finally.jpg

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

humblestumble
04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
:happydance: :cheering: :cheering: Hugs to the postman! That's wonderful that the package arrived! Wee! Now we can all stop our worrying :)

PaperGirl
04-23-2007, 09:57 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

RiverDaughter
04-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Oh wow, that's awesome! We should track down the person in Italy and send a thank you note for passing the blanket back to us! :cheering:

Dangles
04-24-2007, 12:30 AM
As I said before, I'm not sure if it went to Italy. :shrug: knows where it went first. At least we got it :cheering:

AnreeAce
04-24-2007, 09:11 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

What gorgeous children! :inlove:

Hooray for the mail carrier!

kristinw
04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
I was confused at first! But it was the first blanket that made it, right?? That is great!! :cheering:

Shandeh
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Yay!!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Jan in CA
04-24-2007, 01:29 PM
So the PO did good! Glad it's back..your kids are cute!

Dangles
04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
So the PO did good! Glad it's back..your kids are cute!

Aww, thanks.

I sent the box that I got to the PO. I hope little Anna will finally get her gift.

Shandeh
04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Good luck, little singing monkey!! We hope you reach your true destination! :hug:

We'll miss you, though.....you gave us lots of laughs. :muah:

REVS
04-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Yay! Our blanket showed up!!! I'm so happy it made it finally! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Oh, and I can't help asking - Dangles, was the packing and customs slip the one for the monkey? The mystery continues somewhere...
Your kids are soooo cute :heart: - and they don't seem to mind that the magazines and yarn were not for them unlike the monkey... :teehee:
What color did you decide on for your part? Are you still going with grey?

I guess I better get my pattern and yarn figured out then, since I'm next in line. Hopefully the short stint over the border to me won't take as long as the last transit.

Yippee for our re-appeared blanket! :cheering:

Dangles
04-27-2007, 03:43 PM
:) I have no idea where it went actually before it had showed up on my door step, almost 4 weeks, wait maybe it was, later.

The packing slip was addressed to me. But the box was addressed to an "Anna" in Milan, Italy

Colourwise: I ended up going with "Lt Country Blue 9709" (Caron Simply Soft) It just went better with the colours that Shandeh had started the blanket with. It almost looks like a "setting of sun" colours now.

Ok, everyone, as of today 12 PT I'm about an inch and a half done. :happydance: :happydance:

Better carry on :X: while the little one is napping. :blooby:

Yay! Our blanket showed up!!! I'm so happy it made it finally! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Oh, and I can't help asking - Dangles, was the packing and customs slip the one for the monkey? The mystery continues somewhere...
Your kids are soooo cute :heart: - and they don't seem to mind that the magazines and yarn were not for them unlike the monkey... :teehee:
What color did you decide on for your part? Are you still going with grey?

I guess I better get my pattern and yarn figured out then, since I'm next in line. Hopefully the short stint over the border to me won't take as long as the last transit.

Yippee for our re-appeared blanket! :cheering:

REVS
04-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Wow Dangles, you're fast! You're half-way done already!!!
I better get ready for the blanket quick.

The pale blue sounds like a lovely choice next to Shandeh's sunny variegated. I was looking around for yarn & think I found something that should look very nice with these two colors.

Can't wait to see your lovely work!

Shandeh
04-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Yay! You ARE a fast knitter! :happydance:

kristinw
04-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I think I'll wait until it's on the way to me to pick a color. I don't want it to totally clash!

itsjustmeghan
04-29-2007, 09:17 AM
YEAH!!! :cheering:
i'm so glad it made it there! and dangles, your little chickens are cutie pies!!!
country blue is my favorite color by simply soft. i have made WAY too many blankets and i aways manage to find a home for some of that color in the color combos!

i have to finish DH's blanket ASAP. i feel so weird not knitting. i love to crochet, but it's just not the same! at least with this KAL if it shows up i can rationalize putting down his blanket for a spell! :teehee:

Shandeh
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
How is our blanket, Dangles? And how are YOU? :)

Dangles
05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
It is almost done =) If the kids co-operate then I think I can finsh it by tonight. Except I made a couple boo-boos on it :oops: Then I tried my best to fix it :doh: then I thought to myself. what's an Oddball blanket without and oddball boo-boo :D

I'm still alive :D How are things over in NC?

How is our blanket, Dangles? And how are YOU? :)