PDA

View Full Version : WEBS Yarns?

lindakh
03-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello! I've bought the pattern for this (http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/cardi.html) (It's the neck-down cardigan #241). I'm thinking of using Valley Yarns Longmeadow (60% cotton, 40% microfiber), but I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has used it and what you thought of it?

The WEBS catalog reccommends Colrain (50% merino, 50% tencel), but I thought Longmeadow would make a lighter, more summery cardigan.

The pattern calls for light-worsted or dk-weight yarn, btw.

Thanks!!

Ingrid
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
I haven't used that particular yarn, but I have used other Webs yarns and have been very pleased with them.

Calamintha
03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
I ordered some coned Valley lace yarns from them a couple of years ago that were just awful despite one being a wool/alpaca blend and the other was wool/cashmere. I do think that they have improved the line since then. However, my understanding is that they will send samples if you ask, so I would go ahead and ask for the samples before making your decision.

lindakh
03-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Hmm...I didn't think about asking for samples. I think I'll try that.

Call me the queen of overanalysis, but I calculated that their cotton/acrylic blend was cheaper by the yard (by about .$002) than Knitpicks shine...although that's not my only consideration. The colors look very nice, too.

bip
03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I think you are right to ask for a sample. Valley Yarns is their inhouse brand and they really push them. They feel a bit rough on the skein so I haven't been brave enough to buy them yet. Plus, their prices on big name brands are so great that I usually just spring a few extra bucks for Cascade or Noro or other.

If you like the sample, let us know. I think we can all agree we love to learn about a good value :)

lindakh
03-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok, I took another gander at the WEBS website and it costs $25 for the sample book. I hate to be overly cheap, but for $25 I could get almost all of the yarn I need for my cardigan. I may just take the plunge and buy the yarn sans sample.

Either way, I'll post my thoughs once I receive them.

bip
03-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Yikes! I wouldn't go for the $25 either.

Calamintha
03-17-2007, 03:56 PM
You might want to call them. I know of people who have gotten a color/sample card for just one yarn and it wasn't that expensive.

Braden
03-17-2007, 04:12 PM
I've used several of the Valley Yarns and like them alot.