PDA

View Full Version : how to control twist

kemp
03-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Can anyone give me some tips on how to control the twist...I am getting WAY too much.

Julie
03-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Well....you are spinning on a wheel, right? How many ratios does your wheel have, and which one are you using?

I got some very good advice when I was frustrated by my first wheelspun yarn...maybe you will find it helpful too: http://talk.pixiepurls.com/viewtopic.php?t=301

midnightskyfibers
03-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I have a hard time with twist sometimes too- I automatically want to make a fine yarn that is great for socks- not so good when I want a single ply. Low twist yarns end up taking me a lot longer because I have to slow down soooo much- no electric wheel, have to use a jumbo flyer.

Silver
03-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Experiment with the tensioner/brake. More tension = more twist and vice versa. If you're getting too much twist, it needs to wind on faster.

kemp
03-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the tips! This is how newbie I am though...I really don't know what any of the stuff with the wheel means...well a little what it means but how to contol it on my particular wheel is a different story (I have an ashford traveller) :oops: I know I need to do some reading but I was so excited that I finally got the wheel together that of course I just jumped in and started spinning. On my 2nd and 3rd attempts last night I had a little success with less twist, at least in stretches. I think a big part of my problem is that I want to go fast but this wool top I am using is very difficult to draft. I'm going to try again later today forcing myself to go slow.

kemp
03-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I looked up the ratios for the wheel so you know what I'm dealing with even though I don't! Ratios: 6.5, 8.5 and 11.5 to 1 It's an Ashford Traveller double treadle, double drive wheel. I read lots of opinions on different wheels before I settled on this one. Seemed like a good combination of features for the money and will do more than just the basics.

dlc
03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I've been spinning quite a lot, but am definitely a no name spinner. My yarns are looking good, but I haven't yet figured out ratios, although they are beginning to make sense. One thing, though, on the early yarns where I tried very hard not to overtwist, they are definitely a little loose for my liking. You do want a fair amount of twist to make a decent yarn. Too little, and it's a little on the soft and fluffy side. I also use a jumbo flyer, and that gives me a lot of control over the speed. Just keep at it. It takes a fair amount of practise for most people to produce a decent yarn.