PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Summer Caplet Knit Along

itsjustmeghan
03-19-2007, 09:03 AM
okay, so i want to keep knitting. and i thought, what better thing to knit then an adorable Caplet to wear during the spring and those cool summer nights?
then i found this pattern.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62184.0
absolutely perfect! :happydance:

anyone care to join? seems like it's pretty simple, and fairly flexible. there are all kinds of variations out there.
i think i need to knit one in black and one in cream....and maybe one in a country blue.....and maybe one in green.....
so many caplets. so little time! :eyebrow:

anyone care to join me?

ReneeKnits
03-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm in! I printed the pattern out a few weeks ago but have not had the motivation to start. Now I've got it.

What are the variations you have seen out there. My little brain just isn't very creative these days so I need help.

Thanks for starting this one and I'll try to do a gauge swatch tonight.

Renee

itsjustmeghan
03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
i'm finishing up my Wicked today, and i'm hoping to knit up my swatch for this one tonight. i found some burgundy worsted that i had lying around. a little lighter weight, so it'll be good for spring. i thought this would be a perfect thing for my first one just to see how big i want it etc. then i can buy more yarn in more colors! :cheering:
i'm gonna have a whole closet full of these things! hahaha

there is also one that is like the Pinwheel sweater only sleeveless by the same person...i might make that one next.

ReneeKnits
03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Do you have a link to the pinwheel sleeveless one?

I started the capelet for my DD - she's 12 and thought it was just the cutest thing ever. I am holding 3 strands together to get the gauge. One is a cotton and silk blend and the other 2 strands are this lightweight mulberry silk boucle. I kbought all the yarns over 8 years ago on eBay, they were dirt cheap so I could not resist but I've been hanging on to them just waiting for the right project - and now I've got it!

As soon as I can I'll get a photo up so you can see the progress. I'm gonna make one for myself after this one is finished. Tis is such a great summer project and they work up so fast!

itsjustmeghan
03-22-2007, 07:08 AM
sorry, i can't get to blogs at work, so i had to wait until i was home to post. here it is
http://peonyknits.blogspot.com/2005/09/what-day-for-fo.html
it's a PDF file i believe. looks likeit's a pretty simple knit with some seaming after.
i'm finishing up my wicked today at lunch. got it castoff and just need to stitch the pocket into place. then, i'm going to start this....
dejavu! :??

can't wait to see pictures!

itsjustmeghan
03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
okay, wait. HERE is the link to the pattern.
http://www.geocities.com/julsey723/circular_shrug.pdf

it looks almost too simple. but OH SO cute!
i can't decide which i'm going to start first! i think the shrug....and then this one...hehehe...

ReneeKnits
03-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I finished the summer capelet on the plane to FL yesterday! Just in time too - she put it on with her tank as soon as we got here because the restaurant was a little over air conditioned.

We brought the digital camera so I'll take a photo and get DH to put it up for me (I'm rather computer/electronics challenged!)

Thanks so much for the lik to the circular vest - it is a great item for summer or would be a cute layering piece for cooler weather.

How did your Wicked turn out? I'm still working on mine but started a pair of socks as soon as we got here since I can drag that around in my purse. I'm still pluggin away at Wicked though, I'm just past the waist shaping so not too much more to do.

bobi1218
03-23-2007, 02:48 PM
I ordered yarn for a capelet this morning. Because I need another project! But it was too cute to pass up.

suzeeq
03-23-2007, 05:26 PM
I found another shrug/bolero pattern at Garnstudio (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=100&d_id=10&lang=en). It's a little bit like the circular shrug that meghan linked to except no sewing up the sides. No sewing at all if you pick up stitches for the sleeves and make them in the round.

sue

marykz
03-23-2007, 07:10 PM
are you making the circular shrug by Julsey or the capelet by Julsey? The original post had the capelet thread from Craftster, but someone lower has posted the pattern for the circular shrug. They aren't exactly the same.... the capelet is a top down raglan.

just checking.....

I've made 4 of the capelets- they are SO fun and so adaptable to almost any heavy/ bulky yarn. 2 for me, 2 for my daughter, (oh yeah and 1 for her doll)

have fun!

itsjustmeghan
03-24-2007, 08:52 PM
i casted on and started working on the caplet. i posted the other because i plan on knitting that circular one next! hahaha
i saw your FO of your daughter's and her doll's caplet, and that's what made me start this knit along! it looked like a great simple pattern that would knit up fast and i'd be able to wear it all summer.

i'm using some burgundy yarn i had lying around from a blanket i crocheted forever ago. i think it's called bucelle or bucel or something like that? it's an acrylic blend. it'll work fine for this one. it's kinda lumpy, though, so you don't see the exact pattern, but i'm cool with that. i think i might knit another one up with a chunkier yarn next.

:happydance: my closet will be full of caplets!

wicked turned out okay. it's blocking in my bathroom right now. so hopefully it'll fit a bit better once that's done....

what kind of yarn did you get bobi1218?

i'm off to check out that link you posted suzeeq...sounds like it's a lot less work to do it on that pattern....i'll add that one to my lineup!

suzeeq
03-24-2007, 09:04 PM
i'm off to check out that link you posted suzeeq...sounds like it's a lot less work to do it on that pattern....i'll add that one to my lineup!

A couple people did the circular one similarly, but they still did the mock rib and 2x2 ribbing for the edge. The garnstudio has a little more shaping, but it's very similar. If the shortie turns out okay, I may make a bigger one for a jacket.

sue

bobi1218
03-25-2007, 08:30 AM
what kind of yarn did you get bobi1218?

KnitPicks Panache in Cloud. Its a bulky weight, cashmere, alpaca, silk and merino blend. I'm a huge KP fan :)

itsjustmeghan
03-25-2007, 03:24 PM
mmmmm...that sounds like a nice one. i'm new to KP. i just found knittinghelp.com and then discovered knitpicks around christmas. it's been downhill from there. i made my wicked out of KP yarn and i loved it. now i'm wondering if i should order some of this panache for my new shrugs. how did you know how much yardage to order?

marykz
03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
well, the original pattern for the capelet calls for about 200 yards. and I used almost all of it for my grown-up version. If you are going to make idifications like a longer body length or longer sleeves you may want a little more.

itsjustmeghan
03-26-2007, 09:38 AM
:oops: i didn't realize the pattern had a yardage listed on it.....so embarrassing!
i'm almost done with my first one. i just need to do the ribbing on either sleeve...not sure i like how this one looks. i think a bigger chunkier yarn would look better.
has anyone tried doing this one with doubled up worsted weight? i have TONS of caron simply soft upstairs from various blankets i've crocheted. i thought this might be a good way to bust some of my stash. AND it'd be washable!

marykz
03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I wasn't trying to embarass you!!! sorry!!! :oops: I had just meant to say I used nearly all 200, so if you were changing the pattern, to keep that in mind.

at the original craftster KAL there were lots of variations- the worsted ones were near the end of the thread I think..... I used worsted to make a smaller one for the kid. I think doubled up would be nice for a grown-up one.

suzeeq
03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I think several used SS doubled to make it like a bulky yarn.

sue

itsjustmeghan
03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
well, i finished my burgundy one. it turned out okay. i think i'll like it better once i've wet it and dried it so it doesn't curl. don't know how acrylic will be with that process, but hopefully it will work.
i'm off work for the next couple days because i had gallbladder surgery, so i started another one. this one is a doubled up offwhite worsted. it's not the simply soft....so it doesn't feel as good...i'm actually worried about how it will drape...but all i could find in the simply soft i have is country blue and a raspberry color...both would be nice for easter...if this one knits up as fast as the last one did, then i'll have time to knit up a couple more in the other colors i have. i need a black one too....
i love how fast this knits up. i made this one a smidge bigger. 9 stitches for each of the 6 sections. we'll see how it goes..

guess i need to get some tank tops and a couple broaches now!

bobi1218
03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Do you have pics, Meghan? I'd love to see how they turn out!

...Still patiently waiting for my yarn...

itsjustmeghan
03-28-2007, 03:08 PM
here they are! not modeled...i'm not looking so hot right now. hahaha

marykz
03-28-2007, 08:01 PM
those look great!!!

bobi1218
04-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Those look great, Meghan! I just cast on last night, I have the neckband done so far. The Panache is super squishy - I think it will be very comfy, and just the right thing for chilly evenings.

shelleyj3
04-04-2007, 08:23 PM
This is such a great pattern. I've made several over the last year. It was easily adaptable for me to make one for my young niece. Attached are pics. One of them was taken before it was finished.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/shelleyj3/dannascapeletinprogress.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/shelleyj3/RandiModelingShrug.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/shelleyj3/Anthropologyinspiredcaplet.jpg

mdog182
04-05-2007, 01:26 PM
oh man i really want to make this!! urrrgghhh....i dont think i have any yarn so it will give me an excuse to buy more.

mdog182
04-14-2007, 07:02 PM
ok soooooo i am almost done making this and all i have left is the ribbing on the sleeves. now, all the stitches for the sleeves are on stitch holders right now (one for each sleeve) and the pattern says to pick up the stitches and do the ribbing. i've only picked up stitches from bound off pieces, not from live stitches. sooo how do i go about doing that?

itsjustmeghan
04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
if they're on stitch holders, you just go around and pick up the loops off the stitch holder (or in most cases scrap yarn).
i think for the pattern it says to knit back and forth on that and then sew up the seem. because i'm lazy and don't like to seem after i finish a project, i picked up a couple extra stitches in the armpit area and then knit a rib stitch in the round. then when you castoff, you're DONE. no seeming!

shelley, yours look great! :D

i need to remake mine...they're definately too small...i'll probably give them to someone at work, and then just remake them. lord knows i have enough simply soft sitting around!

i might caston for the offwhite one..problem is, all i have at home for that is an itchy acrylic. but, it's just sitting there otherwise....i'll see...

mdog182
04-21-2007, 05:03 PM
ok so for those of you who have made this using caron simply soft...how did it turn out? i used doubled up wool ease (the worsted weight) to make it bulky and it turned out pretty good but i know what simply soft is a pretty thin worsted yarn. does it make a big size difference or do you even notice it?

itsjustmeghan
04-21-2007, 05:10 PM
i made my black one in double simply soft and i like it a lot! my only complaint is i should have made it bigger, but that's not the yarn's fault! it hangs really nicely. this pattern is so versitile, it'll work with just about anything! so i'd say, no you won't notice it's a smaller worsted at all!
can't wait to see pictures!

i wore my burgundy one to work the other day because we FINALLY had some warm weather. over my black tank top, it was pretty styling. i don't have a broach yet, so i just left it hanging open. i think i might crochet some rope to use to tie a bow on each of my caplets, but i haven't decided just yet.

can't wait to see more pictures of your finished summer caplets!

bobi1218
04-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Ugh, I started the ribbing on the first sleeve, and realized that I dropped a stitch somewhere (I think when I picked them up from the scrap yarn). But, I think I made it a bit too big anyway, I think I might want one less increase row, so I may frog it back to there anyway. I put it down last night because I was so frustrated, I'll look at it again in a few days.

mdog182
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM
here is a picture of the caplet i made.....i wore mine to work the other day too and i just left it open because i've had a hard time finding the perfect pin for it but i liked it just the same. unfortunately one of my sleeves started unraveling!!! i don't know what i did wrong but i'm going to have to frog back to the beginning of the sleeve and fix it......oh and this pic was pre-blocking.

CountryCrafter
04-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I just found this knit a long and I am in the process of making one myself! It has been going great except for the fact that I somehow have been knitting with one 10.5 and one 11- how did I not notice that? I am just about to start the ribbing, but here is a pic of my work in progress.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Aprils_Garden/100_2483.jpg[/img]

itsjustmeghan
04-29-2007, 10:25 PM
yeah! great caplets!
i love wearing mine and get lots of compliments...my only complaint? i don't know if it's the acrylic, but they're really warm and i stink at the end of the day! :teehee: i'll have to see if i can find a nice cotton to knit with. or something that breaths a little better!