PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hey Mason. Quick Question

nadja la claire
03-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Mason :waving: I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I was just curious. How hard is it to clean snow and/or ice off your truck? I was driving on the PA turnpike today which is normally, like all PA highways, pretty hairy but today it was extra scary because of all these semis with huge slabs of ice flying off of them. I got really angry about this but then I wondered if it is possible to get up there and somehow clean it off. And then I thought of you. So what's the deal?

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Stiney
03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Not Mason, but truck drivers are the only ones I give leeway for not cleaning off the tops of their vehicles. Maaaybe a tall van or pick-up truck, if I'm feeling generous.

But I'm so sick of people who are too lazy to clean off their cars properly driving on the highway and nearly killing the rest of us! :!!!: :grrr:

Jan in CA
03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Sounds like a scary thing to do..get up on top of an icy semi to clear the ice! :shock:

nadja la claire
03-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Not Mason, but truck drivers are the only ones I give leeway for not cleaning off the tops of their vehicles. Maaaybe a tall van or pick-up truck, if I'm feeling generous.

But I'm so sick of people who are too lazy to clean off their cars properly driving on the highway and nearly killing the rest of us! :!!!: :grrr:

I agree with you 100%. I was just wondering if it's possible to somehow do it without killing oneself. That's all.

Nadja xxx

Limey
03-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi Nadja

What do you mean, all the snow and ice coming off semis?

Why are you picking on us? - We don't shed any more snow than a bungalow, and definitely not as much as a detached house.

However, if it causing you any sort of a driving hazard, I'll climb up on the roof as soon as these hail blizzards are over and give the slates and chimney pot an extra polish, just for you!

:roll: Honestly, some people take Spring cleaning a bit too far!

All the Best
Limey

nadja la claire
03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi Nadja

Why are you picking on us? - We don't shed any more snow than a bungalow, and definitely not as much as a detached house.

However, if it causing you any sort of a driving hazard, I'll climb up on the roof as soon as these hail blizzards are over and give the slates and chimney pot an extra polish, just for you!

All the Best
Limey

I'm talking about lorries. Sorry about that. No insult intended.

Nadja xxx

bip
03-19-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't want to hijack your thread, but did I ever mention I am a truck driver too? This is my "rig":

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/bpiercy/th_eb_12-1.jpg (http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/bpiercy/eb_12-1.jpg)

Lol, ok, so it's only medium duty and I don't drive it professionally, I just drive my one horse all over New England for this and that. My husband laughs that everyone else in a vehicle as big as that is getting paid.

I drove it Sunday, I didn't even think about snow on the roof! I couldn't even get all the snow off the hood...

And I HAVE knit in this thing :)

nadja la claire
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Cool truck bip. I was just curious to know if it's possible.

Nadja xxx

SandraEllen
03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi Nadja

Limey

hmm... being from the states, i never knew that there was a type of house called a semi. Doing a quick google search tells me that there definitely is... I guess I would call that type of house a duplex.

it's crazy how we have such different words for different things. :shrug:

bip
03-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Cool truck bip. I was just curious to know if it's possible.

Nadja xxx

And I'm glad you brought it up because there are literally thousands of things about this truck that I don't know and need to (I got it last May). Snow on top is something I never would have thought of, especially since I was a lifelong Californian until 3 years ago, so I'm still learning what snow REALLY means.

bailsmom
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Here!! Here!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Krystal
03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
I always wondered this myself.

Particularly after me and my mum nearly plowed into oncoming traffic due to a rather large chunk of snow falling off a semi and blinding us. Lucky mum is one fantastic quick thinker on the highway!

I figure it would be a bit risky to climb up there themselves, but maybe they should create something at truck stops specifically for this.

Like a giant pole with a broom on top, and the semi can drive under it and the broom can sweep off the top of the semi. Heck they can even be adjustable. So simple. maybe like this...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/H/hummer/h3/02-medium/05-r3q-mx-height.jpg

only instead if it being a height requirement, it has snow scraping materials... like a heavy duty broom? haha

The things I think of.

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2007, 04:24 PM
No, it actually isn't either safe or possible. The roof of a van type trailer would'nt support your weight, you'd fall right through.

As I pull open type trailers (step decks and low boys) it's a simple matter to shovel the snow off of them, but it simply isn't practical or safe to do that on a van type trailer.

Your best bet to stay well back from them when snow or ice is coming off of them.

As falls from the truck are the number cause of trucker injuries most companies have rules against trying to climb up there anyway as they don't want their drivers injured with a broken leg or back.

DQ
03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Nadja

All the Best
Limey

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Another UK knitter! :waving:

nadja la claire
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
No, it actually isn't either safe or possible. The roof of a van type trailer would'nt support your weight, you'd fall right through.

As I pull open type trailers (step decks and low boys) it's a simple matter to shovel the snow off of them, but it simply isn't practical or safe to do that on a van type trailer.

Your best bet to stay well back from them when snow or ice is coming off of them.

As falls from the truck are the number cause of trucker injuries most companies have rules against trying to climb up there anyway as they don't want their drivers injured with a broken leg or back.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mason. I did stay as far away from the trucks as I could.

I feel bad now that I had a moment of anger. I apologize to you and your fellow truckers. Henceforth I will reserve my anger for those lazy car drivers who refuse to clean off their cars.

Nadja xxx

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mason. I did stay as far away from the trucks as I could.

I feel bad now that I had a moment of anger. I apologize to you and your fellow truckers. Henceforth I will reserve my anger for those lazy car drivers who refuse to clean off their cars.

Nadja xxx

Hey, no problem. We don't like it much either but just can't do much about it.

Limey
03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi Nadja and Sandra Ellen

I know that no offence was meant - it was just me being a daft bat.
Sandra Ellen wrote:

hmm... being from the states, i never knew that there was a type of house called a semi. Doing a quick google search tells me that there definitely is... I guess I would call that type of house a duplex.

it's crazy how we have such different words for different things.

It just gave me such hoot, thinking of British semis being driven around on trucks. What a ridiculous idea! - for a start you'd never be able to buy curtains (drapes) to match the bodywork and it would be simply too depressing altogether to have to hang dark ones to match the tyres (tires)

Anyway, let's hope the snow and ice clears quickly.

All the Best

Limey

"America and England - two countries divided by a common language" - George Bernard Shaw

nadja la claire
03-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi Nadja and Sandra Ellen

I know that no offence was meant - it was just me being a daft bat.
Sandra Ellen wrote:

it's crazy how we have such different words for different things.

It just gave me such hoot, thinking of British semis being driven around on trucks. What a ridiculous idea! - for a start you'd never be able to buy curtains (drapes) to match the bodywork and it would be simply too depressing altogether to have to hang dark ones to match the tyres (tires)

Anyway, let's hope the snow and ice clears quickly.

All the Best

Limey

"America and England - two countries divided by a common language" - George Bernard Shaw

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That's better, your post was so funny but I wasn't sure if you were just joking or not and I didn't want to upset you by laughing. Where I live we call semi-detached houses twins. Go figure :shrug: :teehee:

Nadja xxx