PDA

View Full Version : OT - Harry Potter and Emma Watson

KathyinCali
03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I was watching the news this morning and my local station reported that Emma Watson has said she will not sign a new contract for the movies, "even if they double her salary" and that her "relationship with her other two castmates is non-existant". Did anyone else catch this?

Stiney
03-19-2007, 01:49 PM
A quick Google News search brings up about 50/50 about whether or not she'll be back. She's currently in negotiations with Warner Brothers. about the last two movies.

brendajos
03-19-2007, 01:52 PM
I have been hearing the rumors for a while that she was probably going to be the defector if any of them left. I heard something about her wanting to move on to different things which isn't terribly surprising. Those kids probably aren't going to have much for acting careers for a long while, beyond stage acting I would guess. Not until they start looking a little less like their characters.

Jan in CA
03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I just searched and this was posted an hour ago. I hope it's correct.
Emma Watson to stay on Harry Potter Films (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/183326/emma_watson_to_stay_on_in_harry_potter.html)

Ginger0104
I'm not going to be too upset if she decides to leave the series. I've never liked her as Hermione. She doesn't fit the character very well, beyond looks.

Kaydee
I found this (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14966267/site/newsweek/) on MSN. I hope she comes back, it wouldn't be the same if they had to recast a character.

Jan in CA
03-19-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not going to be too upset if she decides to leave the series. I've never liked her as Hermione. She doesn't fit the character very well, beyond looks.

Really? I like her and think she fits well. :shrug: I would be very sad if she left in the middle of the series because I think it would be difficult to recast and get the same feel.

Ginger0104
03-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Maybe it's because I read the books before watching the movies? I jumped into the whole HP fan thing late. Emma Watson makes Hermione seem whiny to me. Hermione is one of my favorite characters, so I could just be biased. It's hard after you have a certain image in your mind and they cast someone that doesn't come close.

Daniel Radcliffe though.. he is right on target of what I imagined Harry to be.

Stiney
03-19-2007, 02:01 PM

I like her, but don't think the looks fit--she's too pretty to be Hermione (at least pre-buck-teeth shrinking.)

I just hate seeing cast changes in stuff like this--wasn't a fan of Richard Harris as Dumbledore, like Michael Gambon slightly more but not a lot (I know, hereitc!) But I wish Harris could have been the only Dumbledore.

It's bad enough the directors keep changing.

CateKnits
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
I liked the first Dumbledoor MUCH better, but they really didn't have a choice on that one. I don't like Emma Watson as Hermione (you're right, Stine, she's too pretty). I also didn't like how the directors or whatever kept portraying Ron as nothing more than comic relief in the first two movies, so... :shrug: As usual, the books are better.

nonny2t
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
This is from the Harry Potter website HPANA this morning:

WB: "confident that Emma will be back"
Recent tabloid reports this weekend have reported that "Harry Potter" actress Emma Watson had signed to do the remaining movies, yet others reporting that she had resigned from the role. This morning Warner Bros. stated that "We're extremely confident that Emma will be back for films six and seven." Which means that until official word is announced Ms. Watson is still attached to the movies.

The last thing I read is that her reason for possibly not returning is school. She really wants to continue her education, which you can't fault her for, but it would be hard to replace her. She does a great job. As far as her contact with the boys, it wouldn't be surprising since they are very busy themselves, Daniel showing off his bod in Equus and Rupert doing other movies and tv. I don't think it is animosity, I just think the tabloids like to play anything they can get their hands on up a bit.

Braden
03-19-2007, 04:27 PM
She shouldn't leave. Another person just wouldn't fit after her being int the first 5 movies.

Aquaria
03-19-2007, 11:30 PM

I like her, but don't think the looks fit--she's too pretty to be Hermione (at least pre-buck-teeth shrinking.)

I just hate seeing cast changes in stuff like this--wasn't a fan of Richard Harris as Dumbledore, like Michael Gambon slightly more but not a lot (I know, hereitc!) But I wish Harris could have been the only Dumbledore.

It's bad enough the directors keep changing.

Yeah, the different directors can be a problem :shrug:

I don't have any particular feeling about how the characters fit but I think if any of them leave in the middle of the series it would be hard to find a new suitable actor/actress :thinking:

Rorshach
03-20-2007, 01:01 AM
As far as the change from Richard Harris to the new Dumbly-dorr, AFAIK the only reason that happened was that Harris had passed away.

Chrissie
03-20-2007, 08:33 AM
MuggleNet (http://www.mugglenet.com) has a blurb saying that WB is "confident" that she will be back for the last two films. As for me, I'd be fine with them not making movies out of the last two books....The movies aren't asfaithful to the books as I would like

Stiney
03-20-2007, 09:48 AM
As far as the change from Richard Harris to the new Dumbly-dorr, AFAIK the only reason that happened was that Harris had passed away.

Yes, this is true. And sad. :(

Ginger0104
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
MuggleNet has a blurb saying that WB is "confident" that she will be back for the last two films. As for me, I'd be fine with them not making movies out of the last two books....The movies aren't asfaithful to the books as I would like

I agree with you, now that I think about it. I'm not looking forward to the movies nearly as much as I am the final book release :cheering: It will be sad to find out how the series is to end, though. Are the movies intended for children? The 5th book is pretty dark, it'll be interesting to see how they've done it.

SandraEllen
03-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with you, now that I think about it. I'm not looking forward to the movies nearly as much as I am the final book release :cheering: It will be sad to find out how the series is to end, though. Are the movies intended for children? The 5th book is pretty dark, it'll be interesting to see how they've done it.

as far as I know, the books were supposed to "grow" with the kids that the books are about. The first one was for about an 11 year old. The last one is for about a 17 year old.

brendajos
03-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I am fairly certain that if the movies stayed as true to the books as we all would have liked, we would all still be sitting in the theatre from the LAST movie that came out.... and I would be mad cuz I would have run out of yarn to knit on by now! :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I am fairly certain that if the movies stayed as true to the books as we all would have liked, we would all still be sitting in the theatre from the LAST movie that came out.... and I would be mad cuz I would have run out of yarn to knit on by now! :teehee:

:chair:

brendajos
03-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Just read this on Yahoo news...

Fri Mar 23, 8:50 PM ET

Actors Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson will return as teen wizards Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in the final "Harry Potter" films, Warner Bros. Pictures announced Friday.

The young stars will reprise their roles in "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" the last two films in the franchise based on J.K. Rowling's best-selling novels, said Jeff Robinov, the studio's president of production.

"It would be inconceivable to imagine anyone else in the roles with which they have become so identified," Robinov said.

Radcliffe, who recently made news for his role in the London production of "Equus," said playing Potter has been "an immense privilege."

"I feel a huge sense of loyalty to the character of Harry and the fans who have supported these films over the years," the 17-year-old said in a statement.

Watson, 16, said her character was her hero.

"I could never let Hermione go," she said. "I love her too much and love what playing her has meant to me. I'm excited and honored to be finishing what I started and playing her in all seven of the films."

Grint, 18, added: "I've been so proud to play (Ron) and loved every second of being part of this world."

The fifth film in the series, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," is slated for release in the U.S. on July 13

mks22300
03-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Yup, just read that over at The Leaky Cauldron. I'm glad they're all returning, it just wouldn't be the same if one of them had left.

1knittychick
03-24-2007, 01:23 PM
I've read the opposite. Saw on Yahoo that all 3 teens will finish out the series for the last 2 movies.

Jan in CA
03-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I've read the opposite. Saw on Yahoo that all 3 teens will finish out the series for the last 2 movies.

Isn't that what she posted..that they would finish the series? :??

Rorshach
03-24-2007, 02:09 PM
well from what my wife, Willow has said, (she's hip deep into the Harry Potter phenom) is that MuggleNet is pretty much a rumormonger website, but they do tend to post stuff that is incorrect.