PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Malabrigo?

psammeadred
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
At the LYS where I got my first skein (!!!!) the other day, the lady called it "muh-BREE-zhi-oh." I thought it was "mal-ah-bree-go." Of course, I took German in high school, not Spanish, so I could be very mistaken!

The only downside to the Malabrigo is that it smells like cigarette smoke, as did the whole shop... :grrr:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
I've always said "mal-uh-BREE-go" :shrug:

CateKnits
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Same, but mal isn't like "mall." It's almost like "maul," but not quite.
Interestingly, I had wondered about its name as "mal" meaning bad and "abrigo" meaning coat. Apparently, "abrigo" also means shelter (which I did not know) and malabrigo was named after a town called Malabrigo (bad shelter). Lisa (Jeep Girl) asked the owner guy for me at Stitches East because I was too chicken. :teehee:

simplethings
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
maybe the LYS lady misread it?
i used to think it was mal-uh-bree-gee-o because i thought it was spelled malabrigio...
but then i finally bought a skein and realized it was only mal-uh-bree-go.
i don't really understand where your LYS lady's pronunciation comes from. hmmm. i only have 3 years of HS level spanish experience, though.

sorry yours smells like smoke. =(
all of my newer straight-from-the-factory-sealed-bag-skeins smelled like vinegar (from the dye-ing process?). but, the smell has faded for the most part.

madametj
03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
:?? i say muh-la-bri-go :shrug:

CateKnits
03-19-2007, 11:15 PM
:shrug: Mine comes from asking the guy that owns the company. Or, well, Lisa's asking. :teehee: My 5 years of Spanish in school did me good! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-19-2007, 11:40 PM

:?? I pronounce mall and maul the same...

brendajos
03-19-2007, 11:49 PM

lol i am glad you said it because i have been sitting here saying both of them trying to get the words to sound different and i absolutely can not without completely changing my dialect :rofl:

maybe she means that in the same way i usually say the word which is

mal (as in pal) uh (as in duh) bree (as in stinky cheese) go (as in get the heck outta here!)

CateKnits
03-19-2007, 11:56 PM

lol i am glad you said it because i have been sitting here saying both of them trying to get the words to sound different and i absolutely can not without completely changing my dialect :rofl:

maybe she means that in the same way i usually say the word which is

mal (as in pal) uh (as in duh) bree (as in stinky cheese) go (as in get the heck outta here!)

Yeah, I meant one l, like pal. I can type. :cheering: Mall IS like maul.

auburnchick
03-20-2007, 12:03 AM

Well, if you're from the Deep South, then maul comes out much more stretched..."My cousin was maaaauuuulllleeeedddd by dat der bearrrr."

:teehee:

BTW, how do you pronounce Calorimetry?????? I stumble over this word when I'm showing my recent FO off at work. :??

CateKnits
03-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I was just trying to get across that I don't say it like the "a" in "pal," which is how normal people say it, I think.

As for calorimetry? No idea. I DON'T pronounce it. :teehee:

brendajos
03-20-2007, 12:15 AM
BTW, how do you pronounce Calorimetry??????

Wrong. :shrug:

auburnchick
03-20-2007, 12:20 AM

:roflhard:

Can you say "big hair-band thing-y that just happens to cover your ears..." :roflhard:

brendajos
03-20-2007, 12:32 AM

:roflhard:

Can you say "big hair-band thing-y that just happens to cover your ears..." :roflhard:

Well I can say Big Hair Band but that is a Metal Music thing ya know... :teehee:

jmp3775
03-20-2007, 09:26 AM
The calor- part is said like calories (that you eat). Then add -imetry.

cal-or-IM-itry

dustinac
03-20-2007, 09:42 AM

Hey now don't knock my calorimetry.. keeps my ears warm walking up to the bus stop... :verysad:

Stiney
03-20-2007, 09:51 AM

cal-or-IM-itry

I say it cal-o-rim-i-try. :shrug:

And I say "mal-uh-bree-go" with the Mal sounding like "Malcolm"

brendajos
03-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Hey now don't knock my calorimetry.. keeps my ears warm walking up to the bus stop... :verysad:

heeeeeeeey! I wasn't knocking it. The question was how do you say it and I said I say it WRONG...sheeeeeeeeesh... Go take a nap grumpy pants!

dustinac
03-20-2007, 10:14 AM

heeeeeeeey! I wasn't knocking it. The question was how do you say it and I said I say it WRONG...sheeeeeeeeesh... Go take a nap grumpy pants!

:rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

Kaydee
03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I say it cal-o-rim-i-try. :shrug:

I'd say it the same way.

auburnchick
03-20-2007, 11:26 AM

cal-or-IM-itry

I say it cal-o-rim-i-try.

Ok. Thanks! Wow, sounds kind of fancy!! :teehee:

psammeadred
03-20-2007, 11:20 PM
This lady also called Eucalan "you-see-lee-an." At least, that's what I thought she was saying!

MaryS
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I wonder if English may not be her first language? :??

Or maybe she's a tad dyslexic and mixes up sylables? :shrug:

One of the mispronunciations that always gets me (think fingernails on a chalkboard) is when people say 'nook-U-ler' instead of 'nook-LEE-ar for nuclear. I seem to remember that President Eisenhower gets the "credit" for that one. He mispronounced it, members of the press started saying it like he did, general public heard the press, and we're off and running.

I always loved phonics in school :?? and one of my mother's favorite expressions was: "Sound it out!"

Regardless of how you say it, it sure is MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm... :roflhard:

Mary

psammeadred
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
From her accent, I think she's from New Jersey. (My dad's from NJ as well - it's almost another language sometimes!)

One of the mispronunciations that always gets me (think fingernails on a chalkboard) is when people say 'nook-U-ler' instead of 'nook-LEE-ar for nuclear. I seem to remember that President Eisenhower gets the "credit" for that one. He mispronounced it, members of the press started saying it like he did, general public heard the press, and we're off and running.
Mary

I don't know what's worse - "nucular" or "eksetera."

Jan in CA
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Same here.

The only downside to the Malabrigo is that it smells like cigarette smoke, as did the whole shop...

Ewwww! :ick: I would NOT buy yarn there!

I just realized several weeks ago that Pomatomus (socks) is NOT Potamus...as in Peter Potamus.. :teehee:

Stiney
03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
From her accent, I think she's from New Jersey. (My dad's from NJ as well - it's almost another language sometimes!)

Yep...the right one. :teehee:

I don't know how I'd say "Eucalan." Probably "You-cal-ann." "Cal" being like "Calvin," not like "call." Which should be pronounced cawwwwwl. :teehee:

PS No one from Jersey says Joisey. No one.

psammeadred
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
I looked up Eucalan, and it's eucalyptus and lavender. That explains part of it.

Cawthraven, we visited my dad's family in NJ last summer, and they teased us about our Okie accents - turnabout's fair play, I guess!