PDA

View Full Version : SSK vs. SKP

JoeE
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Which is your preferred left-leaning decrease? I hear good things about SSK, but I find it harder to manage than SKP (or S1 K1 PSSO, if you prefer it that way). I don't notice a huge difference in appearance, but I'm still a newbie enough that I have to really study to tell if I just did a decrease row on a sock, or if it was straight knitting.

I have a mental image of a really good knitter looking at my decreases and thinking, "Poor boy, if only he'd learn to knit properly. He's just wasting his time churning out the trash knitting he does. It makes me ashamed to hear him call himself a knitter." OK, so maybe my imagination is a tad more vivid than other folks.

I know the conventional wisdom is that there is no wrong way to knit, but most of what I know I learned from Amy's videos, so I tend to think her preferred way is the "right" way to do it, and anything else is dumbed down for clumsy amateurs like me.

Joe

brendajos
03-23-2007, 04:49 PM
seems like ssk is more invisible, though i don't think anybody would really notice but the person knitting it. with the pass you have that stitch that is sortof askew looking since you passed that stitch over. :shrug:

i really don't think i have a preference toooooo much. but gun to the head i would take ssk.

BillSpace
03-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Also, try Amy's "improved" SSK: slip the first stitch as if to knit, slip the second stitch as if to purl, then stick your right needle in the front of the two stitches and knit together. It really does make a slightly smoother look.

I'd say that if SSK gives you problems, it's probably because you haven't practiced enough yet.

But once you have full control over your knitting, and you know that the stitches look good or bad because of the stitches themselves and not because of your competence, do the one you like best!

nuknitter
03-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Hey Joe!

Nona has a great example of 7 (SEVEN! :notworthy: ) left-slanting decrs, on the page below - scroll ~ 1/5 way down. There's a swatch and details of each decr method, including critique. I found it REALLY helpful to see all of them side by side to compare, and I agreed w/her conclusion.

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/tips_and_techniques/index.html

Hope that helps!!

~Jude

marykz
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
LOL- the knitting police are coming to critique all your hard work!!! I say go with what works for you.

Stiney
03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey Joe, (where you going with that gun in your hand--sorry, I just had to.) how tight of a knitter are you? When I first started I had a death grip on the yarn and needles, and I found SSK to be just about impossible. (Also, my stitches were twisted, which was a different problem but didn't help here.) I've loosened up a LOT since then, and I find SSK to be much easier to do know. I used to have a very hard time inserting the left needle in front of the stitches, and keeping it in while I wrapped and pulled through.

JoeE
03-24-2007, 12:19 PM
When I knit English, I was a very tight knitter, almost impossibly tight. I'm mostly a conti knitter now, and using that I feel like I'm about average.

My problem isn't getting the left need back through the front of the two slipped stitches, my problem is drawing the yarn though them without mucking it up. I usually pick up a few stray pieces of the slipped stitches and then I have a mess when I try to undo it. The SKP doesn't give me nearly as much grief.

I struggled with SSK for the first two pairs of socks I knit and one hat, then I decided to try SKP and it just seems to be a whole lot easier. I think I'll stick with SKP unless I see a really good reason to change.

I also have a bit of problem with K2Tog unless I really open up the gap between the stitches. That makes me think I'm probably knitting too tightly, but my gauge is usually pretty close to what I'd expect using the yarn/needle combo on the yarn wrapper.

suzeeq
03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
The gauge listed on the yarn label is to designate what weight the yarn is - sport, DK, worsted, etc. I've run across lots of patterns that use needles a size or two larger than on the label. It just depends on if you like your knitting dense or loose. I normally use larger than size 10s with worsted weight and like how it works up.

sue

Rorshach
03-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I generally use SSK as I find it to be easier. especially the way I do it, I'll slip the stitches knitwise onto my right needle, but instead of passing them back to my left needle, I'll stick the left needle into the front of the twisted stitches, and run the k1tbl as usual.