PDA

View Full Version : Bernat Cotton Tots

michellebreton
03-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Has anybody used Bernat Cotton Tots yarn? I bought some to make myself a tank top. It says it has a gauge of about 5 stitches to the inch on size 8 needles, but I have worked about six different swatches and I can't get anywhere near that gauge. The last swatch I did was about 4 1/2 stitches to the inch on size 5 needles and I think I'm just going with it. My pattern calls for a gauge of 19 stitches over 4 inches or about 4 3/4 to 1 so I think it will be OK :wall:

Anybody else with any experience with this yarn?

Michelle

knitqueen
03-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I used it, and liked it a lot. I used a size 6 needle for the pattern that I made and it seemed to be just the right size for that yarn. A size 8 would have made too loose a fabric, I think.

You're really close on your gauge, only off by .25sts/1", but I'd keep an eye on it as you go. Even that little can make a difference. For example if you're working on 100sts:

100sts/19sts per 4" (your pattern gauge) gives you a width of about 21".
100sts/20sts per 4" (your gauge) gives you a width of about 20".

Depending on what type of fit you are going for, you might want to consider a size 6 needle. You don't want it to end up too tight.

michellebreton
03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking I would do. Figure out what size it would be with the gauge I'm getting and then go up or down a size accordingly.

Thanks!

Michelle

aineepooh1
03-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I just bought some to knit up a tank top for myself after I finish the one I am working on right now~! How does it feel against the skin and does it lose it's shape after washing/wearing... I was just wondering about that before I start knitting with it :shrug: