PDA

View Full Version : Which is it? (Feather & Fan pattern)

cookworm
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd like to use the feather and fan stitch pattern for something, but I found two different variants of the pattern on line (might explain why I've had problems with this pattern in the past...I might've been using an incorrect pattern! :figureditout:

Firstly, is this a pattern with a multiple of 18 stitches (plus any extra for a border, of course)? I just wanted to make sure because these patterns differ.

Okay, on to the pattern. Both patterns say that rows 1, 3, and 4 are knitted (easy enough!), so they differ on row 3:

One pattern says:
(knit 2 tog) 3 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (knit 2 tog) 6 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (knit 2 tog) 6 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (knit 2 tog) 3 times

The second pattern says:
[k2tog] 3 times, [yo, k1] 6 times, [k2tog] 3 times

So which pattern is right? (Personally, I hope that the second one is right...it's less to remember! :teehee: )

I don't mind knitting up a swatch to see which one is right, but frankly, I have so many projects in the works right now, to knit up something that might be wrong just seems like such a waste of time...a very precious commodity. I was just wondering if anybody here has knitted this pattern and knows which one is right.

Abbily
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I've never done feather and fan, but it looks to me like the 1st one is just a wider version of the 2nd one. I guess the second is 18 stitches, the 1st is a multiple (I think 3x?)

CateKnits
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
They're the same - the second one starts and ends with [k2tog] 3 times, so when you repeat it, you get the 6 times from the first pattern.

Jax3303
03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
they're the same, if you look at what you wrote, pattern 1 is really just pattern 2 repeated a few times.

brendajos
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
seems like every feather and fan that i have done has also had a purl row in there. :thinking:

suzeeq
03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Some have a purl row and some don't. I kind of like it as a 6 row repeat with an extra row before or after the purl ridge.

sue

knitqueen
03-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm doing a feather and fan that's coming out really nicely, it's a 6 row repeat:

Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: F&F pattern, the same as you typed out above
Rows 4-6: Knit

cookworm
03-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks everybody! I looked at both patterns closely, and I couldn't see that the one was a repeat of the other :doh: So I'm glad I asked everybody! :muah:

suzeeq
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm doing a feather and fan that's coming out really nicely, it's a 6 row repeat:

Row 3: F&F pattern, the same as you typed out above
Rows 4-6: Knit

Yeah, that's the one I prefer, only I think it's purl on row 4, knit on rows 5 & 6. That makes one purl ridge.

sue

msoebel
03-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I am working a feather and fan that is a little different...

Row 3: Feather and Fan
Row 4: Knit

It is very pretty. And really, really easy to remember!
:cheering:
Misty

suzeeq
03-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Misty

That's the most common one. I like a little more space between the ridges so prefer the 6 row variation.

sue

brendajos
03-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Misty

yup... that's the one i have done. I usually just put a marker on the pattern side so i know what i need to be doing and just no brain it! good pattern. ;)

newamy
03-27-2007, 12:10 AM
This is the one I am using on a blanket:

The feather and and fan row is this one:
[k2tog] 3 times, [yo, k1] 6 times, [k2tog] 3 times.

Feather and Fan is a pretty pattern that is easy to remember and open to lots of variation.