PDA

View Full Version : OT - My Brain is So Tired and Fried!

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Sorry ladies and gents...just have to vent...

My brain is so doggone tired right now.

Our county is currently on Spring Break. Since I work at a school, that means I have the week off too. Nice, eh? Not so...

Unfortunately, since my college classes are online, there is no break for me. We do short terms...9 weeks of instructional time. This term is so hard! I'm taking three classes total. I am taking one of the senior classes required for my major. I knew ahead of time it would require a lot of writing, but gee whiz!!! I had planned to go ahead and write my 15 page paper (not due until the end of April) this week, but when I got up this morning, two of my professors had posted additional writing assignments. I spent the entire day writing one stinking essay (5 pages!).

:passedout:

I took dd for her knee rehab and should have taken one of my class textbooks to read while I waited the hour and a half...but I decided to get started on my new project...my first booga bag. I just needed a break. I figured that I couldn't go wrong with doing a garter stitch. :teehee:

Anyhow, for those of you who actually finished college when you left high school...I salute you for your smart choice (not that I regret my choices, mind you). I started out of high school, then stopped to begin my family, and then started back almost a year ago. All a plan, mind you... I have about one more year left.

Sorry if this sounds like complaining. It just feels overwhelming sometimes. Anyhow, thanks for listening.

:muah:

marykz
03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Hang in there- online classes can be just as hard as ones where you sit in the classroom. you'll be very glad when they are all done!! an easy project is a good way to let the mind relax.... MKZ

lissalue
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
i will be thinking about you. you will make it, even if it is hard, and imagine the journey you will have to look back on when you get through! :hug:

dink
03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Hang in there! :hug: I keep reminding myself that I should really get myself back in school again. I did two years at a local Junior College, got an associate's degree, and stopped because I didn't know if what I was studying was really what I wanted to be doing (didn't want to waste the $$$ studying for a degree I may not be interested in once I got my feet wet in the field). I've got at least 2 years to go, when I decide to get back in the swing of classes (wanting to do online again, like you) and I'm sure I'll have to take more because of the gap between my degree and today in order to brush up and meet the requirements.

Good for you though for going back to school, you're almost there! :cheering: :woot:

PCwombat
03-26-2007, 08:26 PM
You can do it. :cheering:

I know how you feel, though. I'm majorly stressing at the moment due to college. Right now, I just wanna go home and be a bum forever.

I cannot imagine having a job and taking classes. I'm very impressed.

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks y'all. I know you're right. My daughter was very frustrated with me because I was trying to upload a paper today and she kept asking about dinner. I kept putting her off.

One more year...one more year...then we eat steak, then we eat steak. :teehee:

Y'all are the BEST!! :heart: :muah: :heart: :muah:

Mulderknitter
03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
:hug: I know how you feel. I did actually complete my BA right after high school, but being the bugger that I am I decided last year to get another degree. I am also taking online classes and anyone who says that online is easier is very mistaken! Hang in there, it is so worth it and you will feel so :sun: happy when you are done!

SkyBluePink
03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately, since my college classes are online, there is no break for me. We do short terms...9 weeks of instructional time. This term is so hard! I'm taking three classes total. I am taking one of the senior classes required for my major. I knew ahead of time it would require a lot of writing, but gee whiz!!! I had planned to go ahead and write my 15 page paper (not due until the end of April) this week, but when I got up this morning, two of my professors had posted additional writing assignments. I spent the entire day writing one stinking essay (5 pages!).

I am feeling your pain! I too am doing 9 week courses via distance learning (Troy U) and am feeling the crunch as I fit two weeks worth of assignments into one (I'm going out of town for a week starting Saturday). I'm taking two upper level courses and one of them is kicking my butt all over the place. I keep telling myself that it will be worth it once I get my degree, but I am tired from working all day. The last thing I want to do is come home to schoolwork. I am a "mature" student too; I feel the rust on my brain all the time!

Best of luck,

Kate

Knitting_Guy
03-26-2007, 09:43 PM
I did my college after a stint in the military. I majored in Electronic Engineering and minored in Mathematics with a secondary minor in Physics.

Hang in there and do what you can do. Worst case talk to the prof and get an extension if you need it.

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 09:45 PM

I am feeling your pain! I too am doing 9 week courses via distance learning (Troy U) and am feeling the crunch as I fit two weeks worth of assignments into one (I'm going out of town for a week starting Saturday). I'm taking two upper level courses and one of them is kicking my butt all over the place. I keep telling myself that it will be worth it once I get my degree, but I am tired from working all day. The last thing I want to do is come home to schoolwork. I am a "mature" student too; I feel the rust on my brain all the time!

Best of luck,

Kate

Kate, I'm at Troy too! What's your major? We might be taking some classes together!!!!

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 09:47 PM
I did my college after a stint in the military. I majored in Electronic Engineering and minored in Mathematics with a secondary minor in Physics.

Hang in there and do what you can do. Worst case talk to the prof and get an extension if you need it.

There is no way on earth I would be doing a major that required math. I would have to be committed afterward! :teehee:

BTW, the prof that is kicking my butt so bad just happened to go on vacation for 12 days with his family. He must have set the assignments to automatically post. Lucky us. :-x

Knitting_Guy
03-26-2007, 10:00 PM

There is no way on earth I would be doing a major that required math. I would have to be committed afterward! :teehee:

BTW, the prof that is kicking my butt so bad just happened to go on vacation for 12 days with his family. He must have set the assignments to automatically post. Lucky us. :-x

Math is THE universal language and yeah, he probably did. Once you understand mathematics you have a small understanding of the universe. Everything can be expressed in mathematic terms.

losnana
03-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I remember your pain. I started law school at age 32, 12 years after getting my BA. I had 2 children at the time. Lawbooks went everywhere I went: PTA meetings, baseball games, clothes shopping, etc. It will all be worth it once you're all finished- it's just the getting there that seems hard. Hang in there; all us KHers are pulling for you.

Knitting_Guy
03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I remember your pain. I started law school at age 32, 12 years after getting my BA. I had 2 children at the time. Lawbooks went everywhere I went: PTA meetings, baseball games, clothes shopping, etc. It will all be worth it once you're all finished- it's just the getting there that seems hard. Hang in there; all us KHers are pulling for you.

I agree. It's worth it to stick it out.

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Math is THE universal language and yeah, he probably did. Once you understand mathematics you have a small understanding of the universe. Everything can be expressed in mathematic terms.

Now you sound like the guy from Numbers...

BTW, I just finished another assignment. That's 2 for today. Tomorrow I work on "How the Role of Asian Women Has Changed Over the Last Three Centuries." Lucky me... :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
03-26-2007, 10:32 PM

BTW, I just finished another assignment. That's 2 for today. Tomorrow I work on "How the Role of Asian Women Has Changed Over the Last Three Centuries." Lucky me... :teehee:

Sorry, what can say I'm a geek. :rofl:

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM

Sorry, what can say I'm a geek. :rofl:

Which is probably why you've caught on to knitting so fast!

SkyBluePink
03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Nathalie, I am majoring in Political Science with a minor in Social Science. Currently, I am taking Foundations of Political Science and also Administrative Law. I hope to attend law school after I get my BS.

This is my fourth term at Troy (all of them distance learning) and I really like it. It suits my learning style and is incredibly flexible for my schedule. I love the fact that we get new classes every 9 weeks. Keeps me from getting bored!

What classes are you taking?

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Nathalie, I am majoring in Political Science with a minor in Social Science. Currently, I am taking Foundations of Political Science and also Administrative Law. I hope to attend law school after I get my BS.

This is my fourth term at Troy (all of them distance learning) and I really like it. It suits my learning style and is incredibly flexible for my schedule. I love the fact that we get new classes every 9 weeks. Keeps me from getting bored!

What classes are you taking?

This is my 5th term. I'm majoring in Social Sciences. I haven't nailed down my minor yet, but I'll probably do history or political science.

This term I'm taking Social Science Theory (SS4498), History of Asia (Dr. Hood is fantastic), and U.S. Government - Executive Branch.

The SS class is kicking my tail. It's not that it's hard. It just involves so much writing!!!!! I still have a major paper to write. Not pretty. But, it's required, so I figured that I would go ahead and get it over with.

Who's your SS prof? Is that the 33xx class?

msoebel
03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Nathalie;

Hang in there! I went to two years of college, got married (very young, I know), took a year off of school to work full time and get us established. Then I took 2 years of full time classes...half on campus in night courses and half through "independent studies" supervised by professors on campus.

Then I took one more semester full time on campus.

And when that was all done, I STILL had one class left to take. Which I did...a year later, through correspondence.

And when it was done, and my degree was dropped off on my doorstep (literally)...it was worth it.

I think you will appreciate it much more now than you would've "back in the day".

Misty