PDA

View Full Version : OT - Yankee or Dixie?

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Here's (http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html) a little something that was fun to do.

I'm 78% Dixie. Surprising given the fact that I've spent most of my life in the South.

PCwombat
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Eek. I got 48% Yankee. Wonder how that happened, considering I've spent my whole life outside of Philly.

brendajos
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
lol I have a hard time with this quiz when I take it because it often does depend where I am or who I am talking to when I say thse words.

59% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

That seems a little suspect to me though since I have only spent a total of 2.5 years in the south... the rest was New England and the midwest... and most people say I "sound" more like the Northeast... (whatever that means)
:shrug:

Stiney
03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
:?? I only got 47% Yankee, but I have issues with some of its interpretations.

For instance, it is NOT common to pronounce "cot" and "caught" the same way in the NYC area. One is caht. The other is cawwwwt. :teehee:

Stiney
03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Also, I'm always said when they don't have "get on line" versus "get in line," but I'm pretty sure it's just a Jersey thing anyway. :teehee:

Chel
03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
58% dixie here.

Some of them I had to think about. I talk all the time, I obviously just don't listen to myself!

AmandaC
03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Mine was 58% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

But even the first answer was wrong ... Aunt is pronounced 'R-nt / Ah-nt' :teehee:

I guessed some of the answers .... what's a potato bug??? :shrug: we don't have those over here - I would have said 'woodlouse' :teehee:

sara_jayne
03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
40% Yankee here - that Midwester/New York/New England accent has me all over the place!!!

CateKnits
03-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm 50% Yankee..I lived my whole life in Annapolis, Maryland until I came to college. :?? I guess half Yankee would be about right, then? :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm 48% Yankee. I found it really interesting that a lot of my answers were considered "great lakes area" since I did not grow up there, but my grandmother did.

figaro
03-27-2007, 12:06 PM
61% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

I was born and raised in northern CA and in Dec. 06 we moved to New Jersey. I don't think I have ever been to the South! :shrug:

knit-errant
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I got 54% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I've lived in Kansas City almost all my life (except for a short not-quite-6-month junket in Iowa).

I guess hovering around the middle mark fits. :shrug:

Inis
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
50% Yankee ... I grew up in the military so I lived all over the place.

mwedzi
03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Also, I'm always said when they don't have "get on line" versus "get in line," but I'm pretty sure it's just a Jersey thing anyway. :teehee:

My New York friend always says "on line" and I'm always like, that's on the internet, you stand "in line". :) i'm from cali

PurlyGyrl
03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
60% Dixie :thinking: and I've never been out of the South! (well, at least for no more than 2 weeks at a time! :teehee: )

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 12:30 PM
60% Dixie :thinking: and I've never been out of the South! (well, at least for no more than 2 weeks at a time! :teehee: )

Sounds like a true southern girl! :teehee:

Stonington
03-27-2007, 01:14 PM
45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I did not have a clue about the last question:
20. What's that bug that rolls into a ball when you touch it? (NOTE: This is not a doodle bug (ant lion), which is the larvae of Myrmeleontidae spp.)
Roly poly
Pillbug
Potato bug
Sow bug
:??

anne

Stiney
03-27-2007, 01:24 PM

My New York friend always says "on line" and I'm always like, that's on the internet, you stand "in line". :) i'm from cali

You stand on line. You get "in line" if someone tells you to shape up. Also, if there is no line, and you are just forming it, you can say "Get in line." But usually we'd say "Line up." :teehee:

Ginger0104
03-27-2007, 01:25 PM
66% Dixie. Born and raised in California, and except for a couple years of living in Las Vegas (which is just like California) I haven't lived anywhere else. I was raised by my okie grandma though, and my parents are definite okies too ;) So obviously some of their charm has rubbed off on me lol.

I got a lot of my answers as midwest, which is surprising. I don't have any family from that area, and haven't spent much time there.

Ginger0104
03-27-2007, 01:30 PM
20. What's that bug that rolls into a ball when you touch it? (NOTE: This is not a doodle bug (ant lion), which is the larvae of Myrmeleontidae spp.)
Roly poly
Pillbug
Potato bug
Sow bug

It's a little brown bug with an indistinguishable head or tail. They're found in dirt, and are common in gardens. You know you've picked on up when it curls into itself as a self-defense so that it's hard shell is left showing. It's similar to an armadillo in that way.

I loved playing with them as a kid. Pick them up so it'd turn into a ball, then flick it like a marble. Now I hate touching the things lol. My kids love them now :)

BostonBecca
03-27-2007, 01:34 PM
It did not have any truly Yankee words. I should know. I was born in Boston, live in Boston, and use some "Boston-only" words and pronounciations. There were basically no questions referring to New England accents.

The one thing it did have absolutely correct is the use of the word "soda."

GinnyG
03-27-2007, 01:52 PM
73% DIXIE :happydance:
My Mama would be proud since I was born in Georgia and raised in SC........... I've spent the last 30 years transplanted to NYS but always maintained I was a GRIT (GIRL RAISED IN THE SOUTH)!

Kirochka
03-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I got 53% Dixie, which is laughable, and also probably due to the fact that in some questions what I would have chosen wasn't an option. And about those bugs - believe this or not, I grew up calling them "molar bugs." I have NO idea why and have never heard that anywhere else. This was in Laurel, MD, and our best friends had parents from Wilkes-Barre, PA, if that means anything about "molar bugs."

Stine, "on line" is most definitely a NY area thing. My parents say it, and so do I. But we stand on line and we also get on line, too. I've heard a tale, possibly untrue, that it has to do with immigrants being told to stand on a line drawn on the floor at Ellis Island - but if that's as true as the "the name was changed at Ellis Island (http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=3893)" myths, then it isn't very true...

monzogary
03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I got a lot of answers that were common in the Great Lakes area, which I live in SE lower MI.

Silver
03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm undoubtedly Dixie. 68%. No surprise there. I'm a southern girl to the core, and I still call my dad "Daddy", Y'all. :heart:

Kirochka
03-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I still call my Daddy "Daddy," too, and I'm almost 100% Northerner ("almost" because I actually was born south of the Mason-Dixon Line...)! :hug:

ETA: But I don't say "Mother and Daddy," like many Southerners I've heard...

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm undoubtedly Dixie. 68%. No surprise there. I'm a southern girl to the core, and I still call my dad "Daddy", Y'all. :heart:

My kids, I believe, will always call dh and me "daddy" and "mama." This is very surprising given that, while they were young, we spent eight years down in south FL where there are, primarily, people from the north -- especially New York and New Jersey. They NEVER heard other people call their parents by the "southern" names.

humblestumble
03-27-2007, 03:03 PM
i got 58% Dixie, just barely in the dixie category. There were a lot of things I say either of. And some didn't have an "other" category or "both"

Dangles
03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm 38% yankee??? Guess it happens if I'm along the 49th parallel

A bubbler hahaha :rofl:

Stiney
03-27-2007, 03:56 PM

My kids, I believe, will always call dh and me "daddy" and "mama." This is very surprising given that, while they were young, we spent eight years down in south FL where there are, primarily, people from the north -- especially New York and New Jersey. They NEVER heard other people call their parents by the "southern" names.

I use "Mom/Ma" and "Dad." Mommy if I want something. :teehee:

Mom said "Mommy/Ma," and says Dad. I don't think she says Daddy that often, if ever.

samm
And I'm a Canuck!!! :roflhard: samm

letah75
50% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I've lived in Oakland, CA my whole life. :shrug: In fact I'm a 6th generation Californian on one side, and on the other grandparents are from a different country, and dad is born and raised in CA.

Also, with the Aunt thing, I pronounce it "Untee" and a couple of the others I had to pick the best but not necessarly the 'right' answer.

Some of those I thought were kinda off.

I usually address a group of people "you guys" but sometimes y'all. Gym shoes aren't "Tennis shoes" but "tenni's" which wasn't there, so I picked tennis shoes.

I alternate between water fountian and drinking fountain.

It was definately interesting though

stacyk9
03-27-2007, 04:04 PM
61% Dixie. I do live in Southeast Missouri, so I guess I kind of live on the line between north and south.

Stacy

DQ
03-27-2007, 04:09 PM
"73% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!"

I've never even been to America! :?? Guess if I ever do make it over I should head South :teehee:

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 04:25 PM

I've never even been to America! :?? Guess if I ever do make it over I should head South :teehee:

Come on over. We'll fix you some cheese grits, chitlins, and sweet tea.

:roflhard:

dustinac
03-27-2007, 04:26 PM
83% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

:teehee: WV gal here...

brendajos
03-27-2007, 04:35 PM

ew.... don't fall for the hospitality if she is goin' to feed you chitlins! :ick: at the very least ask what that is made from first! :shock:

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 04:42 PM

ew.... don't fall for the hospitality if she is goin' to feed you chitlins! :ick: at the very least ask what that is made from first! :shock:

:psst:

Shhhhh...don't tell, don't tell...

BTW, the town I grew up in had an annual Chitlin Jamboree with a parade, grease pole climbing (no, I didn't do this), and a chitlin-eating contest (and I didn't do this either). You could smell the chitlins cooking all over town. :eyebrow:

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
83% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

:teehee: WV gal here...

Not me...my mom was born in Canada, and my dad was born in France. I'm a naturalized citizen, and I consider myself a southerner.

1knittychick
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
OMG 94% dixie (this is too cute. I will have to send this to everyone I know. I had the worst day today and this has just made up for it.

1knittychick
03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
94% Dixie--

Angelia
03-27-2007, 05:57 PM
89% Dixie! Can't get the Alabama out of me, I guess. :teehee:

carmabelle1191
03-27-2007, 06:03 PM
68% Dixie, which is odd because I live in New Jersey and have lived here all my life! And most people say I sound like I come from around here anyway. :shrug:

kindermen
03-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Are there any knitting stores in Auburn,AL? I live in Hoover.

Dilly
03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
61% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score! :shrug:

I'm from the east coast of Canada. My score makes no sense! :??

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Are there any knitting stores in Auburn,AL? I live in Hoover.

Quick search of google provided this (http://www.limenviolet.com/mb/viewtopic.php?p=452&sid=4d42d73685195e8db88391a88784a9ae). Opelika is just outside of Auburn.

Course, Auburn is a college town. I would be surprised if there are a lot of knitters there. They are too busy either studying or watching football. ;)

Andrea
03-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I was 48% Yankee....

I thought it was interesting that the gym shoes answer is a Chicago thing...I didn't know that! Glad I got that "right" :teehee:

I didn't get an on line in / line question...I wonder if I skipped one :thinking:

Stiney
03-27-2007, 07:11 PM
I was 48% Yankee....

I thought it was interesting that the gym shoes answer is a Chicago thing...I didn't know that! Glad I got that "right" :teehee:

I didn't get an on line in / line question...I wonder if I skipped one :thinking:

There wasn't one, there just should've been. :teehee:

They're SNEAKERS!

Andrea
03-27-2007, 07:15 PM
:doh: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mks22300
03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
There's something not right here. How can someone who's never stepped foot on Southern soil score a 52% dixie? One word from me and you'd know I'm from Western NY, so I've been told with my nasal Rochester accent! :rofl:
At least quite a few of my answers were Great Lakes region.

IrishKnitter
03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Here's what I got: 48% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

:thinking: That seems WAY low, considering that the only two states I've lived in my entire life are Illinois and Ohio, for college.

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Maybe it's more a thing of not how we actually speak but how we think we sound or how others sound. Kind of a mind-thingy. :shrug:

dink
03-27-2007, 07:34 PM
45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category. Don't know if this is good or bad :shrug:

I did have to laugh at some where it said:
Centered on Chicago and the Great Lakes region south to Tennessee or
Used heavily in Great Lakes west through northern states

That's the 21 years of life in Chicago still in me. Especially with "pop". I say it, even in California, where it's "soda". People just :?? when I say that. I don't think I could ever get to the point where it's "soda" :teehee:

orcoastknitter
03-27-2007, 07:51 PM
That's the 21 years of life in Chicago still in me. Especially with "pop". I say it, even in California, where it's "soda". People just :?? when I say that. I don't think I could ever get to the point where it's "soda" :teehee:

I am originally from California now living in Oregon, they call it pop here as well... it threw me off guard when I first heard it.

In our house we call it soda, but once in awhile my father will say he wants a pop, I give him an evil grin and say "in the face?" I am bad....

The other word I notice they use a lot around here is spendy.... for expensive.

I lived on the west coast my entire life, but my mom's folks were from Wisconsin and Louisana. My dad's family is from a completely different planet. Go figure.........

losnana
03-27-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm 78% dixie, and I've never lived north of Virginia! I think TV has a lot to do with this.

MoniDew
03-27-2007, 07:58 PM
58% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Born and raised in SoCal, but last 22 years lived in OK.

What amazed me most was how many answers it said was regional to the Great Lakes, and I have never spent one minute of my life anywhere near the Great Lakes!
________
Hawaii marijuana dispensary (http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/)

lissalue
03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
86% dixie!!

IrishKnitter
03-27-2007, 08:35 PM

It's NOT soda....it's ALWAYS pop!!!!!!!! :teehee:

Stiney
03-27-2007, 08:49 PM

Pop is a verb. Soda is a drink. :teehee:

Jeremy
03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Just 40% Yankee and I've lived my whole life in CT. :shrug: At least they got the grinder thing right.

Braden
03-27-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm 87% Dixie. I have spent all my life in MS.

psammeadred
03-27-2007, 09:20 PM
66% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

Not terribly surprising, since I was born in the Deep South. And Oklahoma is definitely part of the South, as defined by "anywhere the waitresses call you honey as they serve you sweet tea." I guess the 34% of me that's "northern" is from my dad, who was raised in New Jersey.

jdee
03-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Pop is a verb. Soda is a drink. :teehee:

I call it coke. No matter what soft drink it is, I call it coke. Is that a Texas thing?

Braden
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
No, jdee, cause I call it coke, and I'm in MS.

jdee
03-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Great to meet you!! I knew it was all coke. :rofl:

Stiney
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I think calling it Coke is a Southern thing.

It got the "hero" thing wrong, because it's not just a Maine thing. It's a Jersey thing, too.

But they didn't have "sub" on it, which is what I would call it.

brendajos
03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
:thinking: i selected Sub

bailsmom
03-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm 38% yankee??? Guess it happens if I'm along the 49th parallel

A bubbler hahaha :rofl:

Yes!! It is a Bubbler!!!! And it is a Soda, not a Pop!! That's so silly sounding to me... :teehee:

I got a 39% Yankee. I was born and raised in the midwest.

And they are Tennis Shoes, not sneakers and it's a Sub Sandwich. What the heck is a grinder anyway? :?? :?? I have yet to understand that word.

This was fun! Thanks!!

Stiney
03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Maybe I'm just losing it. That must be it. :teehee:

madametj
03-27-2007, 11:10 PM
47% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category

I lived my whole life in the north until last summer :shrug:

DQ
03-28-2007, 06:22 AM

Oooh I really want to know what they are now! :teehee:

sig
03-28-2007, 07:46 AM
76% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

maybe because i learn english in new orleans?? hahaha, thatīs funny, love southern accent!

auburnchick
03-28-2007, 08:46 AM

Chitlins are HOG INTESTINES.

Are you ready for some dinner (or lunch) now?? (In the south, the word for lunch is actually "dinner.")

Kirochka
03-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Um... I suspect the reason they're all coming out so wrong is that it's a poorly written and very limited selection of questions... :shifty: Fun, but that's it.

I'd never heard of a sandwich called a "grinder" until I went to college in VT. Growing up in Maryland, I'd called them "heroes" - living in NY, I called them "subs," I think. But in Vermont they called them "grinders" and it took a while before I had any idea what that meant!

Anyone here from Rhode Island? Know what a "cabinet" is? That is one of the most odd regionalisms I've ever heard!

Jackie M.
03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
72% Dixie........not surprising. :teehee:

DQ
03-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Are you ready for some dinner (or lunch) now?? (In the south, the word for lunch is actually "dinner.")

Ooh :shock: Well I'd certainly try it if they were offered...I'm just too polite for my own good! :passedout:

BostonBecca
03-28-2007, 10:51 AM
The liquor store question was strange. They have drive through ones in Colorado I know (college) but in MA liquor stores are called packies and we definately don't have drive through ones.

auburnchick
03-28-2007, 10:54 AM

Ooh :shock: Well I'd certainly try it if they were offered...I'm just too polite for my own good! :passedout:

You would probably change your mind if you saw what they looked like. And the smell... :ick: I've never forgotten it, and I've been gone from "home" for 17 years.

KathyinCali
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
47% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

Interesting since I grew up in North Carolina.

kaysdaughter
03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
88% Dixie. I'm a military brat, but all relatives live in Tn, NC, and KY and I've spent approximately 30 years living in one of those states with a couple childern born and mostly raised there. Currently live in CA and have a hard time understanding people when they talk occasionally.

We've got several brew thru's in TN and KY (though some may say it's goin' out to the back barn :whistle: )

I think the test was a little off too. We call them Say-n-whiches no matter what they're made of. Also, it's aunt like ain't like cain't ruther than aunt like ant or want. They're tater bugs. Never ate a chitlin in my life and don't plan to.
~Paula

edited to better explain aunt like ain't. My aunts would laugh me right out of the room if I said it like ant.

brendajos
03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
ooh we have the drive through liquor stores here too but that is what we call them... Drive through liquor stores...

the thing that amazed me when i lived in Baton Rouge was that i could go up to a drive up window and get a margarita....wth? how is that even safe?...lol

jeanius80
03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
44% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.
:shrug: it was interesting....grew up all over(navy brat) but family is from central cali and midwest...

its a rolypoly dang-it! :teehee: and soda used to be soda for me.. but somehow it changed to pop.
kaysdaughter-my mom says say-n-whiches too! and warshington

dink
03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
44% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.
:shrug: it was interesting....grew up all over(navy brat) but family is from central cali and midwest...

its a rolypoly dang-it! :teehee: and soda used to be soda for me.. but somehow it changed to pop.

Definately is a rolypoly! :teehee: And without question----POP! :happydance: Although I'm mocked by my boyfriend whenever I say it... :oops:

jeanius80
03-28-2007, 02:47 PM

Roly poly
Pillbug
Potato bug
Sow bug

anne
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/j/jjb426/isopods.jpg
thats a roly poly bug :ick:

Quiltlady
03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
That was fun!! I'm barely into the Yankee catagory and I was born in New York and lived here until I was 23 then moved with the Air Force and my dh. But have been living back in NY for over ten years now.

I could see that I have changed how I say some of the words over the years. I have lived in Japan, Texas and Alaska and I think after living in those places and being around other people not from the Northeast...I did change how I speak without noticing it until taking that test. :teehee:

nonny2t
03-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, considering I am a born and bred Yankee living in Dixie, I guess 58% is about right! lol

hunterjenn
03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
:?? Apparently, even though I have no Southerner-isms, I'm only 44% Yankee. What's up with that? Most of my answers said "Common throughout the entire United States." I guess they need a "Generic" category. :teehee:

auburnchick
03-28-2007, 04:38 PM

Roly poly
Pillbug
Potato bug
Sow bug

anne
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/j/jjb426/isopods.jpg
thats a roly poly bug :ick:

That is nasty!

madametj
03-28-2007, 08:12 PM
:?? Apparently, even though I have no Southerner-isms, I'm only 44% Yankee. What's up with that? Most of my answers said "Common throughout the entire United States." I guess they need a "Generic" category. :teehee:

:roflhard: lol, same thing here, only 47% Yankee

my sis was so mad :-x cause she got like 77% Dixie :teehee:

actually i think "yankee" and "dixie" are southern words anyway. i've never once in my life herd someone actually call themselves a yankee (besides the baseball team of course. :) )

Lucy Fan
03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
52% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I've lived in the great lakes area my whole life, and most of my answers were great lakes or all over so how did I get put in the Dixie category?