PDA

View Full Version : Knitting socks

kindermen
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
I am new to knitting socks. I have done two "practice socks" before venturing out one the real things! I tried different needle sizes and yarn. Does anyone have a favorite sock yarn that works well for them?

knitqueen
03-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Go to the search page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php) and type in 'favorite sock yarns'. You will get lots of threads that have discussed sock yarn.

CarmenIbanez
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Mine is Socks that Rock. But it's also the only one I've used.

knitwitty1
03-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I like Kroy sock yarn, it is easy to knit with, 100% washable wool & comes in lots of neat colors :cheering: ! It's also easy to find. A great source of yarn for all sorts of things, not just socks, as well as kits, books etc. is ramwools.com. Hope this helps. Happy socking!

auburnchick
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Ummmm...I'm not discriminatory. If it's labeled as sock yarn, it has high potential to become mine for the knitting. I just love knitting socks!

cheesiesmom
03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
My absolute fave is Opal.

lauraknits
03-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I just got some KnitPicks gloss and am LOVING it! Pretty colors, not splitty, not tooo thin. BUT, it has no nylon/elastic or other stretchy stuff. It does not feel springy like many wool sock yarns, and the silk in it means it does not feel like it has a lot of give. But the ribbing I have made with it is wonderfully stretchy!

kindermen
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Do you usually get two socks from one skein of the opal yarn?

cheesiesmom
03-29-2007, 02:05 PM
I get two socks from a skein of Opal plus a goodly sized ball left over. And that's with an 7 to 8 inch leg and a 9 or 9-1/2 long foot. I've done some simple patterns but assume that you could knit just about anything and have enough yarn.

Oo-oo Laura, I have 2 hanks of Gloss in the pumpkin colorway waiting in the wings. I wanted silk socks and thought it was a good yarn. Glad to hear you're lovin' it.

orcoastknitter
03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
So far I like Lorna's Laces and Opal.

I want to try Trekking and Socks that Rock next.

KathyinCali
03-29-2007, 05:20 PM
My least favorite is Reggia. I though it was Opal but it was actually Reggia I knit my last pair on and I didn't care for the yarn. Felt a bit too "Acrylicy" to me. I've started on a pair with Lorna's Laces and I'm loving it so far...

jodstr2
03-29-2007, 07:24 PM
so far I've used:
Jojoland Melody
Trekking XXL
KPPPM
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock

I like all of them, except the Jojoland is scratchy.

I love Socks That Rock lightweight superwash merino, but haven't done socks in that yet.