PDA

View Full Version : Knitted Dishcloths

hydeemarie
03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Does anyone actually use the dishcloths you knit? are they durable? hmmm... just wondering [/b]

orcoastknitter
03-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I knit dishcloths for my mom and she loves them. They last her a long time. She likes them better than the ones you can buy at the store.

It gives me a chance to practice new stitches too!

dink
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I've been curious about that too. Are there patterns out there which are fairly easy? And also pot holders. My boyfriend asked me to make some, and I was thought, wouldn't the yarn burn or something along those lines? :shrug:

hydeemarie
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
you knit them out of cotton yarn? :shrug: because i am knitting my first dishcloth right now and it is of cotton.

hydeemarie
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I've been curious about that too. Are there patterns out there which are fairly easy? And also pot holders. My boyfriend asked me to make some, and I was thought, wouldn't the yarn burn or something along those lines? :shrug:
www.knittingpatterncentral.com has LOTS of patterns in those areas... you should check it out... they are all FREE!!!

Robinknits
03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I use mine. I knit a new one the other day (pattern from the new Creative Knitting magazine). I used it today. I've made them for friends and they tell me they love them and use them all the time. Once I made one for my sister and she said it was too pretty to use!

Robin

dink
03-29-2007, 06:42 PM
www.knittingpatterncentral.com has LOTS of patterns in those areas... you should check it out... they are all FREE!!!
:noway: WOW....

all I can say is.......... :heart: Thank you!

edit---I'm just looking through the purses/bags. I just wish there were little pictures/skill level. especially for the newbie like me :teehee:

hydeemarie
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM
:noway: WOW....

all I can say is.......... :heart: Thank you!
You are very welcome hun! :hug: :muah:

Jan in CA
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I use mine all the time! I do find that the cotton tends to stain badly, but they ARE dishcloths so.. :shrug: :teehee: I made some from Lion Brand Microspun and while they aren't quite as absorbent they are pretty good and so far there hasn't been staining problem.

Lots of patterns here, too.
Dishcloth Boutique (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html)

Ginger0104
03-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I wasn't too sure I wanted to spend all that time knitting one, and then use it on something icky like washing dishes - but I LOVE them. They knit up fairly quickly, and they are so easy to clean - just toss in the washing machine. The germ factor is pretty low that way.

http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/ is another good site for patterns. One word of advice - don't use varigated yarns on something with a design. I learned that one the hard way :doh:

kblue
03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I haven't knitted any but i have crocheted some...I don't actually use them for "dishes" because for the same reason...I didn't wnat to make something nice just to get it all mucky and gross. So i actually use them as...humm large coaster? I don't know what they're actually called :teehee: You know...you put it on the table and when you sit around to eat or something you put serving dishes, pots, pans, etc. hot or cold on top so that it doesn't scratch the table or something. (i have a glass dining table) Bigger than a coaster but smaller than a place mat.

jeanius80
03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
:teehee: trivits kblue....i think :??

Mommy22alyns
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
So do you just use scrap yarn on the dishcloths? Or is there a really inexpensive cotton yarn out there? :shrug:

Jan in CA
03-29-2007, 08:56 PM
So do you just use scrap yarn on the dishcloths? Or is there a really inexpensive cotton yarn out there? :shrug:

Sugar and Cream (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$UZPWA0IAAECEKP4SY5LRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=95760&PRODID=11813)
Lion Brand Cotton (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$UZPWA0IAAECEKP4SY5LRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=95760&PRODID=130064)

Peaches and Cream at Walmart

letah75
03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
I had a similar type question a while ago, mine was more along the lines of "what are they for". I got a lot of positive response, and so I decided to knit up a few out of the cheapo Sugar and Cream.

I kept one for myself, and gave one to a co-worker. Who is a wonderful women, but kind of persnickity when it comes to certain things. She told me the other day (Monday) that she LOVED the dishcloth, and asked if I would make her more as her daughter keeps trying to steal it.

So I'm going to make her some more. I say go for it. They are really cool.

One word of advice - don't use varigated yarns on something with a design. I learned that one the hard way Doh!

Why?

Ginger0104
03-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Why?

I used a varigated red, white, and pink cotton yarn to make a dishcloth with a raised heart motif. You can't see the heart at all :( It's pretty, but I was really hoping that the heart would stand out some. I read somewhere else online that varigated tends to do that, so I've only made that mistake once.

DreamWeaver
03-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for posting this question. I was begining to wonder the same thing. So... do you use it for washing dishes? Sorry, I still don't really get what they're used for ^_^;;

newamy
03-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I use mine. I give them away and other people use them. They last longer than store bought.

letah75
03-30-2007, 02:22 AM
Why?

I used a varigated red, white, and pink cotton yarn to make a dishcloth with a raised heart motif. You can't see the heart at all :( It's pretty, but I was really hoping that the heart would stand out some. I read somewhere else online that varigated tends to do that, so I've only made that mistake once.

Oh, I get it. But if you're doing a simple dishcloth with no big pattern, it's not an issue. Thanks, that makes sense.

Knitalia
03-30-2007, 09:11 AM
I love knitting them. I use Sugar & Cream which is very absorbent. I tend to baby them though, can't let them anywhere near bleach bc I use the coolest, brightest colors I could find. Colors I would never wear, but are fun to work with.

Lisa1216
03-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Once I made one for my sister and she said it was too pretty to use!

Mine too!! She said she wanted to frame it! I told her the next time I was over at her house for dinner, I was going to use it. I use mine all the time, although at first I didn't want to mess them up, but now I like them better than store bought. It's a good way to practice a new stitches too. Mine are stained with all different colors and bleach marks. I figure I use the blankets and socks I make, why not the dishcloths.

PaperGirl
03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Ive got 3 that I finished....not really a dishcloth pattern, but a stich that I was practicing and made into the size for a dishcloth.

Im working on a waffle weaved pattern from dishcloth boutiqe....its fun ad fast!

Jeremy
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
They are really great for practicing a more difficult pattern or learning a new technique. I knit some when I was switching to knitting continental. Who really cares when you're using them on dishes/

Jan in CA
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
ETA to previous post -

I use them for wiping counters and the table mostly. For dishes I use a scrubby or dish brush.

Bleach does bleach out the color and I found that using them for scrubbing the sink with Barkeeper's Friend wore down the yarn and I ended up with holes.

I much prefer them to sponges though because I can toss them in the laundry every day or so.

JoeE
03-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Everything everyone else said. I'm slowly thinning out my store-bought dishcloths and replacing them with knit ones. I use a totally simple pattern that knits up in 2-3 hours. They're a great diversion in between "real" knitting.

If they get stains, I bleach them even if they are a pretty color. I can always make more.

They are really great, because they're heavier than store bought, but not harsh enough to scratch anything. Plus, how cool is it to make your own dishcloth? Makes me smile every time I pick one up.

Joe

nancydee
03-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I would recommend the Sugar n Cream cotton for the dishcloths and/or hand towels for the kitchen. They are very absorbent and feel great to me. And I love being able to have them be so useful. I have made many of them now, given some away, and love each one of them. The colors are great and I think a good value too. Of course, Lion Brand has nice cotton too. I have used it too. I was able to get the super size Sugar n Cream at Joann's Superstore a couple of months ago on sale, and I have been using that yarn for most of mine. But the best thing about them is that they feel so good when using them and they wash well. I wash mine in hot water and haven't had much shrinkage at all. The solid colors work up well with so many patterns, and the multicolor yarn is nice too, but not as definitive with patterns. One more thing -- I usually use size 7 needle -- sometimes size 8 -- just a matter of choice.

nancydee

lissalue
03-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Why?

Oh, I get it. But if you're doing a simple dishcloth with no big pattern, it's not an issue. Thanks, that makes sense.

some lace patterns still come out in varigated too. i made this one (http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/01/heart-lace-cloth.html) out of a pretty pink white and tan cotton from sugar n cream (think neapolitan ice cream) and it came out gorgeous.

letah75
03-31-2007, 01:43 AM
All this talk of dishcloths inspired me. I made these today.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_kuLg7qFxS7c/Rg3mfHGNR9I/AAAAAAAAAGA/_OntOKcmNm4/s320/100_0354.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_kuLg7qFxS7c/Rg3mfnGNR-I/AAAAAAAAAGI/Ge98pz4WyW8/s320/100_0353.jpg

They are not blocked, but I figure, why block a dishcloth if I'm just going to use it.

Mommy22alyns
03-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Now I'm all excited to knit some dishcloths! I even had the idea to knit my girls some little potholders for their play kitchen. :happydance:

Jan in CA
03-31-2007, 02:54 PM
All this talk of dishcloths inspired me. I made these today.

They are not blocked, but I figure, why block a dishcloth if I'm just going to use it.

Those are pretty! If you made them out of the recommended cotton just toss them in the washer and dryer. ;)

HollyP
03-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I love love love my knit dishclothes! I have knit a ton so far. I made a few for my house then people started asking for them after seeing me use them . They knit up so quickly and a agreat way to test new patterns without spending a lot of money. I recently made a collection of 7 and included it in a bridal shower gift basket with some dishsoap and gloves etc. The theme of the shower was something for the kitchen.
I belong to a yahoo group called monthly dishcloth KAL (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/monthlydishcloths/) they have 2 mystery clothes every month. Check it out!
Here are a couple I have knitted in the last month or so in between other projects They all look a little wonky :oops: I think it was the angle I was taking the pictures from:
Ballband http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphpMxR6uK.jpg
Two way dishclothhttp://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphphIAJ0S.jpg

ElenTikvah
03-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, I started making knitted washcloths a few months ago out of necessity, as I hate the ones you get in the store, but I never thought to use them as practice for learning new stitches...I will have to start again! Thanks for the suggestion!

~Tik

marykz
03-31-2007, 06:47 PM
we use ours!! cotton. I have one done that has a button that you hang off the drawer pull that DD uses to dry her hands. I have several I use as hotpads and for wiping water off the counter etc. and a few that match the kitchen are just for lookin' pretty....

letah75
04-01-2007, 03:58 AM
I belong to a yahoo group called monthly dishcloth KAL (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/monthlydishcloths/) they have 2 mystery clothes every month. Check it out!

:cheering: I just joined!

redwitch
04-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I've been told that lace patterns are especially good because the textured surface scrubs well but because of the holes they dry incredibly fast. By the way, with sponges and dish-scrubbing brushes, it's a really good idea to microwave them for two minutes every now and then. You know that wet smell they get after a while?... doesn't even begin to express the numbers of bacteria living on them.
Oh, and if you're really fussy... washing machines become contaminated with bacteria whose origin you don't want to know, from towels and knickers (undies for you Americans), and if you then wash something in it, you can find the same bacteria on the washed item after! So run an empty cycle with bleach whenever you think it's appropriate. ew.

Sarah

Wrennn
04-04-2007, 10:43 AM
HollyP- :thumbsup: Thanks for the link to the Yahoo Monthly KAL! It's great, I joined. Some neat patterns.....now, where do start, lol.
:cheering:

Crafty_Curmudgeon
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I love using mine...and since I'm a newbie knitter and need the practice <LOL> there will be lots of them in my future! I'm amazed at the number of patterns, so it looks like I'll never run out of new ideas! Now if I could just get up the nerve (and expertise) to branch out into something else! :teehee:

CountryCrafter
04-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I use mine all the time! We like them better than store bought and it is just really fun to make such a useful item.

I belong to Monthly Dishcloths too and it is fun to do the few rows a day and come out with a surprise.

dink
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the link to the dishcloth KAL! What a fun idea. And definately good for working different stitches---something I need :thumbsup:

figaro
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I also just joined! Whew! It looks like I am going to be very busy knitting dishcloths for a looonnnggg time! xxx :woohoo:

Ginger0104
04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the link Holly! I just joined :) It looks like a lot of fun.

lissalue
04-04-2007, 11:04 PM
i joined too! i am very excited!