PDA

View Full Version : First Sweater and some Sewing-all for my daughter

newamy
03-30-2007, 12:45 PM
It's been a lucky week for my daughter. I made her the Very Berry Tee from the recent Magknits. I know a few other people have made this. It's an easy pattern and I thought a good choice for diving into sweaters. It took about a week to knit. She picked the color Reef in Knit Picks Shine. It's a lovely jewel tone blue/green. I hadn't used Shine before. It does shine and it is very soft. The first two skeins had knots and fuzzy spots that had to be cut out so I was kind of dissappointed but subsequent skeins were okay. I made the neck ribbed insted of garter stitch and I used 3 needle bind off on the underarm insted of kitchener. There were holes on either side of the join that had to be stitched up but they would have been there with the kitchener stitch too.

(I hope you all don't mind looking at a bit of sewing!)
Then the other day we went to JoAnne's Fabrics because my M-in-L had gotten me a Yarn-tainer for my birthday and I decided I wouldn't use it. So I wanted to exchange it for something. I found the pre-smocke/elasticized fabric for making quick sun dresses there. I know another poster here made these for her daughters. Anyway the fabric was 39 cents an inch. The blue/green was 40% off. So with the return of the yarn tainer and the one color on sale I got enough fabric for two quick sun dresses for $7.85. Deal of the century! 4 hours later, including time to wash and dry the fabric, my daughter had two new sun dresses. She is a very girly girl so she is crazy about these.

I have started a pink shrug now for the hot pink one and have a plan in my head to make a different shrug for the other one....

So here is my daughter modeling these creations:

ctmax
03-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Everything looks so good. I :heart: the sundresses. Your daughter looks very happy with them.

AmandaC
03-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm not a big pink person but I :heart: that pink sundress material .... do you do them in adult sizes :shrug:

shelleyj3
03-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Just beautiful! Everything turned out so cute! Cute model, too!

newamy
03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
AmandaC wrote:.... do you do them in adult sizes

Yes the fabric is very long, and could easily make an adult dres. I had to cut quite a bit off for my daughter, and there are a variety of colors. I used what I cut for shoulder straps, an adult may have to add ribbon or some other material unless they cut quite a bit of length off. You just measure you bust size and buy that many inches of the fabric. The picture on the bolt of fabric showed the elastisized portion with details and shaping for an adult figure- but I'm not that good a sewer to figure out how to do that.

sara_jayne
03-30-2007, 01:35 PM
That knitted top is just beautiful!

Paisley is one of my favorite fabric designs! The dresses look wonderful!

nuknitter
03-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Those are FABuLOUS, dahling! I can tell she just adores them too http://img99.exs.cx/img99/8577/yupi3ti.gif

So I'm guessing the pre-smocked fabric only comes in certain prints, and that if you want to make a garment w/non-smocked fabric with the same print they'll have it? Just curious, haven't heard 'bout the pre-smocked fabric until this forum recently.

ETA: I think I just got it f/your last post - so the pre-smocked fabric is a PART of the whole piece, not separate f/the non-smocked, right? *sigh* I'll just get over to JoAnne's to take a look... temptation city!

BTW, looks like she could wear the Reef sweater over the blue dress too! ;)

Abbily
03-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Gorgeous!! I love the sweater and the dresses!! I'm the one that did the pre-smocked dresses for my girls- at my Joann they actually had two different 'widths' of the fabric- so the wider fabric would make longer, I guess adult-sized dresses. We got the narrower fabric, and still had to cut off several inches since my girls are so young. Anyway yours look great, and your daughter is beautiful!!

newamy
03-30-2007, 03:03 PM
nuknitter wrote: BTW, looks like she could wear the Reef sweater over the blue dress too!

That was my original plan but the top little ruffle on the dress makes a ridge across the front of the sweater and it looks really dumb when she wears it layered. I think this is because the Shine drapes so softly that any underlying thing is picked up. A "stiffer" textured yarn probably wouldn't do that but then you wouldn't put it over a sundress either. Oh well, best laid plans and all that.

Abbily wrote I'm the one that did the pre-smocked dresses for my girls-

Well I'm glad you had posted about them because when I went to JoAnne's the other day I had it in mind to look for that fabric and then there it was! Otherwise I never would have sought it out.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

aprilbetty
03-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Love the dresses and the sweater! And your daughter is lovely! I have two daughters, now both in their mid thirties, and I made the "smocked" sundresses for them 25 years ago! I had no idea that the fabric was still available.

Jan in CA
03-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Those are wonderful! Love that little sweater!

marykz
03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
those look fantastic!!! and I am SO going to JoAnns tomorrow to buy pre-smocked fabric..... what genius!! I meant to do it after the previous post, but now that it might be on sale I am THERE! Great job!

knitting frenzy
03-30-2007, 07:28 PM
really nice job on the sweater. I love that color! You mentioned that you used "shine" is that a worsted weight yarn? Nice sewing job too.

ctmax
03-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know if there is a place online you can order that type of fabric for the sundresses? Also when you wrap the fabric around the child to measure do you stretch the fabric a little so it's snug on the top?

Abbily
03-31-2007, 11:58 AM
I dont' know of any place to order the fabric online, you could try Joann.com...

As for measuring the fabric- nope, I didn't stretch it to make it snug. My girls are very sensitive to 'itchy' things, and I figured it would bug them if it was too snug. I added shoulder straps the same way NewAmy did, so the snugness (is that a word?) of the bodice wasn't an issue.

ctmax
03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Looked through Joann.com and couldn't see anything. I went to my local fabric store and they had no idea what I was talking about. I really want this fabric I am going to keep looking.

newamy
03-31-2007, 07:53 PM
knitting frenzy wrote
"shine" is that a worsted weight yarn?

Yes I used worsted wt, it is also available in sport wt at knitpicks.com.

ctmax wroteLooked through Joann.com and couldn't see anything

After I bought it I looked on line too, just to see and couldn't find anything, but kept thinking I wasn't searching right.

hunterjenn
03-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Looked through Joann.com and couldn't see anything. I went to my local fabric store and they had no idea what I was talking about. I really want this fabric I am going to keep looking.

I've only seen it at Jo-ann's, and ours just got it in within the last few weeks. I think they're calling it "pre-smocked sundress" fabric. It's making me nuts that I don't have girls to sew for!!!

ETA: Check it out: http://forums.twinstore.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/137607632/m/23910226931

This woman says they have it at her Wal-Mart.

ctmax
03-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Well tomorrow I will be checking out our local wal mart. I am going nuts :hair: trying to find this fabric.

hunterjenn
03-31-2007, 11:26 PM
:figureditout: If you can't find any, I can play personal assistant and send some to you from here.

ctmax
04-01-2007, 11:46 AM
hunterjenn I would love your help. How would I pay you by paypal? I couldn't even wait till today to check wal mart out I packed the kids up and looked last night. They didn't have any, they didn't even look like they have got any spring things. I checked ebay as well and couldn't find any.

hunterjenn
04-01-2007, 04:27 PM
I can send you a paypal invoice. Lemme check out what colors they have at my store. Any preference? When I was there on Sat. they had the pink paisley, a dark blue of some kind...and some others can't remember now.

ctmax
04-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Thank you so much. :muah: :muah: I would like pink if they have it and the blue would be good to. I was thinking of getting 30" of two different kinds. Thanks again. :happydance: :cheering:

newamy
04-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I hope you find this fabric. I was just at my JoAnnes again, browsing and they were totally rearranging everything. Didn't see any of the sundress fabric (was possibly considering a thrid for my daughter). I suspect it is still there because there were at least 6 different colors, but still! If I had originally gone today I never would have found it. My JoAnne's is always a bit disorganized. For example they have a yarn section, but then there are sale yarn bins scattered at surprising places all over the store. The JoAnnes in the next town is much better in terms of organization.

marykz
04-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I went yesterday and they had SOLD OUT of all but one! (of course I bought some of that- the yellow with little dots)
now I'm pinning, tomorrow I sew...

ctmax
04-01-2007, 11:15 PM
yellow fabric would be cute. I hope hunterjenn is able to get me some, if not I will just wait and hope maybe in a few weeks it will come to my wal mart. I'm thinking about making summer dresses and tomorrow it is suppose to snow a little bit. I just can't believe how hard this fabric is to find. I couldn't find one spot on the internet that even showed it.

dewdrops
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Awe...so..sweet!!

Mariblue
04-02-2007, 04:36 PM
That sweater is really cute on your little girl, and I :heart: the dresses!
I got some pre-smocked fabric at Walmart today for my own little girl.
It's $8.94 a yard, so basically I'll be able to make two dresses for my daughter for around $10! This fabric is shorter (meant just for young girls), so I won't have any extra to cut off for straps, but I got some coordinating ribbon to use as the straps instead. I'm excited to make these!
I want to thank you Newamy, and Abbily, for posting the pics of your dresses!

Abbily
04-02-2007, 04:40 PM
That sweater is really cute on your little girl, and I :heart: the dresses!
I got some pre-smocked fabric at Walmart today for my own little girl.
It's $8.94 a yard, so basically I'll be able to make two dresses for my daughter for around $10! This fabric is shorter (meant just for young girls), so I won't have any extra to cut off for straps, but I got some coordinating ribbon to use as the straps instead. I'm excited to make these!
I want to thank you Newamy, and Abbily, for posting the pics of your dresses!

You're welcome, and I can't wait to see pics of yours! :)

hunterjenn
04-02-2007, 04:53 PM
yellow fabric would be cute. I hope hunterjenn is able to get me some, if not I will just wait and hope maybe in a few weeks it will come to my wal mart. I'm thinking about making summer dresses and tomorrow it is suppose to snow a little bit. I just can't believe how hard this fabric is to find. I couldn't find one spot on the internet that even showed it.

I have pictures for you! The lighting isn't great, but here are your choices. They're all listed between $0.29 and 0.39 an inch (I think all the short ones are .29, the long ones .39). The first photo is of the shorter fabrics; the others are longer. Just lemme know what you want and how much!!

ctmax
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
hunterjenn you truly are a sweet heart thank you. :muah: I would like 25" of the second plaid from the right in the first picture, either plaid would work if that one is out. I would also like 25" of the yellow and 25 " of the bright pink from the second picture. If either of those are out I would like 25" of the second from the right blue from the third picture. I will try to PM you with my personal info. I have never done that so tell me if you don't get it . Thank you.

hunterjenn
04-02-2007, 07:48 PM
No problem! I'm happy to do it. I'll look for your PM--if you'll include your email address, I'll send you a paypal invoice. :)

ETA: Got your PM! I'll try and swing by tonight, but I'll definitely go by tomorrow morning. :)

mwedzi
04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Aren't you super crafty?! I really envy people who can sew. I hope to learn some day. She looks so happy in her new clothes.

newamy
04-03-2007, 12:32 PM
mwedzi wroteI really envy people who can sew

Don't!
First of all I can sew but not super-elaborate-awesome-wear-it-to-the-wedding type sewing.

Second of all I learned to sew as a kid and in home ec that mom REQUIRED me to take. Now that I have learned to knit I firmly beleive that if you can knit you can sew. Sewing is easier- at least basic sewing. (ruffles, gathers, and adding darts are possibly hard and I needed help last time I did sleeves)

All you need is a decent machine- does not have to be new or expensive, it just has to work (non- working or malfunctioning machines are horrible) and a good class. Really you can do it!

hunterjenn
04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
...if you can knit you can sew. Sewing is easier- at least basic sewing. (ruffles, gathers, and adding darts are possibly hard and I needed help last time I did sleeves)

All you need is a decent machine- does not have to be new or expensive, it just has to work (non- working or malfunctioning machines are horrible) and a good class. Really you can do it!

NONE of it is hard, as long as you have a pattern! (Well, at least most patterns. Some are written strangely, but not many) I totally agree--if you can knit, you can sew!!

msoebel
04-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh! You're JoAnn's has a much better selection than ours. I wanted to make my dd a dress in a cute fabric, and myself a dress or top out of the navy with the white and red polka dots.

They were out of the navy, and they didn't have much in the way of little girl fabrics...the fabrics have different lengthed smocking, and the adult smocking was almost down to her mid thight (which would look a little weird...).

I am going to go to the next town over and check them out. Yours dresses are so cute!:pout: My dd would LOVE this dress...and she has been asking for mommy-daughter outfits.

Misty