04-01-2007, 02:41 AM
:doh:

Ingrid
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
It's April here!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Very funny, modulators :-|

April's challenge is inspired by two things: Earth Day and the tree sweater thread (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27192&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tree+sweater&start=0) .

Your challenge is to make a sweater for a tree, AND attach it to a branch of the tree all incognito and stuff. (take a picture if you can)

A tree sweater pattern is here (http://erika.fisherking.org/?page_id=404), but if you want to jut go for it without a pattern that's cool too. I'm thinking a T shaped garter stitch sweater woul dwork fine, as long as the bottom part of your "T" goes cits the circumference of the tree and the across part of the "T" (the top part) fits around the branch.

Pick a tree that is kind of spindly and still in the growing phase, maybe freshly planted.... this isn't a project for a great sequoia.

nteresting flickr picture of tree sweater overload (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotogrotto/71566432/)

Happy knitting! xxx

jeanius80
04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
i am in! :cheering: ... is acrylic okay for the trees?? i gots more than i need in a pretty springy color....

MaryS
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
If you use acrylic make sure the sweater has a lot of ease so moisture won't get trapped against the tree. Need to give the tree some "growing room" :teehee:

Mary

Jan in CA
04-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Your challenge is to make a sweater for a tree, AND attach it to a branch of the tree all incognito and stuff. (take a picture if you can)

:passedout: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

REVS
04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm in too!
I've been eyeing this since the first KAL post - where I discovered that this phenomenon started in my own city!

I do believe the original tree sweater was made from acrylic, too. So I think that's a fine choice!

Give the little ones sweaters, it's still cold out (at least in Seattle)!

jeanius80
04-03-2007, 02:53 PM
now i gotta find a tree :whistle:

rebecca
04-03-2007, 03:09 PM

LOL, do you want the picture of Lonnie as he's yelling at me for going out in the middle of the night for incognito tree tagging on crutches or the tree after it's tagged :roflhard: :rofl: I figured the Lonnie photo would be more amusing :roflhard: :rofl:

GREAT APRIL kal, Hilde :cheering: :cheering: I love it :happydance:

BostonBecca
04-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I wanted to do a tree sweater before! I think they are so cute. I wonder if I could knit it in the round on a big tree right then and there so there wouldn't be any seaming. Now that would be some interesting and comment worthy KIP!

Andrea
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Do I get bonus points if I do this on duty? :shifty:

TeenKnitter
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm in! I live in a forested town so finding a tree won't be hard. BUT, all the trees are very big, so I'll have to pick one that isn't huge.

SabrinaJL
04-03-2007, 05:07 PM
:roflhard: Ok, I gotta tell ya, this one's a little weird for me. There are so many other things I want to knit I just don't believe I'll be wasting my precious knitting time knitting for something that won't appreciate it. But I will be watching this thread with great interest. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
:roflhard: Ok, I gotta tell ya, this one's a little weird for me. There are so many other things I want to knit I just don't believe I'll be wasting my precious knitting time knitting for something that won't appreciate it. But I will be watching this thread with great interest. :teehee:

How do you know it won't appreciate it? :teehee:

SabrinaJL
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Because it won't oooh and ahhh and :notworthy: and tell me how great I am. If I don't get that, then what's the point? :shrug:

:rofl:

CarmenIbanez
04-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Because it won't oooh and ahhh and :notworthy: and tell me how great I am. If I don't get that, then what's the point? :shrug:

How do you know it won't? You're just jealous that the trees only talk to me. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

SabrinaJL
04-03-2007, 05:34 PM
:hmm: Maybe when you're done dressing the tree you can knit yourself some meds or something. You're scaring me. :out: :lol:

Stiney
04-03-2007, 05:34 PM

Don't you want to be famoos? The original tree sweater got into the papers!

Ingrid
04-03-2007, 06:44 PM
I am definitely going to do this!! I just have to find the right tree. The ones by our driveway are pines, but I might be able to manage something.

There are some small trees outside of school, but I KNOW it would be figured out and cause too much of a commotion. :teehee:

projectgal
04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
You know, April in Georgia can be very hot. I don't know of any trees around here that need sweaters. I have a few trees in my yard that are showing their buds; I think I might modify the KAL to more of a bikini top.

momwolf
04-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Ok Hilde :tap: I live in the woods :doh: Do you know how many sweaters I would have to knit :frog: :frog: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
:roflhard: :X: :passedout:

zip
04-03-2007, 10:15 PM
We have a dead fruit tree in the back yard that Z just trimmed of all its branches. I told him I'd hang Easter eggs from it (I won't.) But if I knit a sweater for it or for any of our living trees, he'll know that tax season has sent me completely around the bend. So, I'll be over there in the March challenge thread, finishing my entrelac and feigning sanity.

BinkyKat
04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
After the weekend before last having temps in the 60's... I come home from the Twin Cities and wake up this am to a few inches of snow...and it got worse as the day went on...full on Blizzard...APRIL 3rd people!!! :grrr:
Where was this in December?
So...any trees in this town need snowsuits..
Can I still do one in my yard, and just not tell hubby? It's not a public place... :shrug:

PaperGirl
04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
OMG! THis is TOOOOOOO funny! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

But I have NO trees. :pout: Just pathetic little twigs that are staked to posts bigger than they are.

I think hubby would seriously think I was a loony bird if I knitted a tree a sweater while we were camping! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

jeanius80
04-04-2007, 03:59 PM

But I have NO trees. :pout: Just pathetic little twigs that are staked to posts bigger than they are.

I think hubby would seriously think I was a loony bird if I knitted a tree a sweater while we were camping! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
:tap: ummm those are exactly the kinda trees that need sweaters! geez!!

:oo:

Stiney
04-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I wanted to do a tree sweater before! I think they are so cute. I wonder if I could knit it in the round on a big tree right then and there so there wouldn't be any seaming. Now that would be some interesting and comment worthy KIP!

You should totally hit up the trees on Comm between the Commons and Kenmore. It would be great...every so often, a tree with a sweater, right in the Back Bay. :rofl:

BostonBecca
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
The Back Bay would be a great place to do this!!!

Maybe it will be a good study break when I need to escape the law tower.

The poor trees could use them right now.. It's snowing here...April 4th....

Stiney
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Law tower??? Do you got to BU Law? I'm CAS '05. Or '04, I'm not sure which technically. :teehee:

BostonBecca
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I do go to BU Law for about a month and a half more....

Knitting is one of the things that distracts me from the law stuff and keeps me sane that way. :)

GO BU! I know little about the rest of BU besides our giant monstrosity of a building but CAS is Arts & Sciences right?

PaperGirl
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM

:roflhard: Maybe Ill sneak out there and dress every tree in the neighborhood!

*will you bail me out when they pick me up for random tree dressing?*

These trees are teeny tiney...really.

jeanius80
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM

:roflhard: Maybe Ill sneak out there and dress every tree in the neighborhood!

*will you bail me out when they pick me up for random tree dressing?*

These trees are teeny tiney...really.

we could get greenpeace and the arbor day foundation to bail us....... :figureditout:

Stiney
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I do go to BU Law for about a month and a half more....

Knitting is one of the things that distracts me from the law stuff and keeps me sane that way. :)

GO BU! I know little about the rest of BU besides our giant monstrosity of a building but CAS is Arts & Sciences right?

:thumbsup: Yep! I was an English major.

Monstrosity indeed! I love that they airbrush the Law building out of pictures. :rofl: The Law Building is behind the School of Theology/Marsh Chapel...the building across Marsh Plaza from Theology is the CAS building.

I'ma stop hijacking this thread now. :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
hows it goin people?

I havent' started yet :oops:

RachelJean
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Would it be cheating to just put an almost finished sock onto a tree branch .... before I close up the toe ?? :teehee:

beckyrhae
04-06-2007, 07:53 PM
I dont have many trees around me...

BUT I have a buddy with trees that she hangs voodoo dolls from in her front yard and I think this would be the perfect place to sneak in and put a sweater on a tree! She will :heart: :heart: :heart: it! She is out of town this weekend, so if I have time I'm going to swing by tomorrow night and tag a tree. :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-07-2007, 12:40 AM
that's AWESOME becky!

md21
04-07-2007, 02:37 AM
If I knit the sweater out of cotton, would that be like getting a cow a leather coat? :??

:)

Jan in CA
04-07-2007, 01:25 PM
If I knit the sweater out of cotton, would that be like getting a cow a leather coat? :??

:)

Only if you're knitting for a cotton...tree. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

md21
04-07-2007, 06:47 PM
And another question. If I wish to do a moss stitch, am I only allowed to do it on the side of the sweater facing north? I just don't want to go against nature. :P

OK, I'm done with the lame jokes. I'm just debating. It's been pretty warm around here, and I am thinking about just making this little tree outside my high school a tank top instead of a sweater. What do you guys think?

jeanius80
04-07-2007, 08:24 PM
i think a tank top counts too! thats my vote anyways.... :happydance:

Jan in CA
04-07-2007, 09:05 PM
And another question. If I wish to do a moss stitch, am I only allowed to do it on the side of the sweater facing north? I just don't want to go against nature.

You are too funny! :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-08-2007, 12:06 PM
you can dress your tree any ol way you want to!

jeanius80
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM
a kal button... :shrug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
it's cute!!! I'm going to use it!

BinkyKat
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM
md21 wrote:
If I wish to do a moss stitch, am I only allowed to do it on the side of the sweater facing north?
:roflhard: Brilliant!

stacyk9
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm going to have to give this one some serious consideration. My neighbors just planted two new trees and they definitely need a sweater! If I can squeeze it in, I'll be doing this!!

Stacy

BinkyKat
04-15-2007, 06:23 PM
:teehee: Here 'tis! The snow's almost gone and it's quite sunny and nice today.. a beautiful day to seam a sweather onto a tree

Sugar 'n Cream cotton, using 8's in bamboo, on a tree of maple

(um, how do i get the button? shouldn't it be a link i can copy to my sig in my profile?).

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-15-2007, 11:11 PM
hooray!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Right click on the button in my sig, and select "view image" then copy the url of that page, and put in in your sig surrounded by the img tags.

BinkyKat
04-16-2007, 09:55 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
got the button! I was impressed, the pic is with the camera phone...no idea where the dig is...I still laugh..."just a sec, lemme get my phone so I can take a photo" :shrug: :roflhard:

jeanius80
04-16-2007, 10:38 PM
awsome tree sweater!!!!

:oops:
i havent gotten to mine yet :pout: after i finish my baby hat for a friend...should be soon.....

tarrentella
04-18-2007, 07:38 AM
im sooo goingt o have to teach my dad to knit. we are involved in Guerilla Art (basically putting up random thing around town and trying to convince people that its legitimate art), and the F.A.L.S.E project, (creating fake tourist sites) so this is right up his street. or tree ...

TeenKnitter
04-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey guys. I want to join this KAL, but unfortunately, I lived in a protected, forested town. I don't think they'd be very happy if started putting sweaters on their trees. My town is completely forested, and there's even a 2 acre land minimum for residences. So I'll see what I can do, 'cos I really want to make a tree sweater!

jess_hawk
04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
LOL this is hilarious. I don't have time to do this at the moment but if I did it, I think I'd try to figure out how to knit the sweater on the tree, in the round, so that it wouldn't have a seam. Just to REALLY mess with people's heads. Can you see their faces?

Could use a double wrap or something so it would knit up really fast, and choose a small tree so I could do it all at once. Hehehe...

REVS
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, it seems like everyone else was as tardy as me in getting their April KAL project done. :oops:

Well, no more! I found my tree and now it'll get a sweater!

After tearing up the road and the patch of grass and shrubs around the corner from me (fixing a water line I think), they now just filled it all back in and replaced the shrubs with three small mini trees. Two at least have a bunch of pink blossoms on them, the other one is REALLY REALLY SAD! :pout:

So, I'll start on that one today. I'll have to see what yarn I can use but I'll get that tree a sweater! And because it's so sad and small it won't take any time.
I just hope the poor thing will survive. At least it'll have a sweater...

...going to grab my knitting...