PDA

View Full Version : Thermal from Knitty...

BostonBecca
04-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Does anyone else want to knit the Thermal from Knitty? I searched for Knit-Along for it but can't find it yet.

I have to order my yarn for it still (but I do have 2 balls of the color I think I will use for it coming from knitpicks) so I could start with this if other people want to join in! I figure it will take me until the fall if I start it soon what with bar studying this summer and my desire to make several summery tanktops.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTthermal.html

jinty
04-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Hello

This is the link for a thermal KAL. It's a lovely pattern.

http://knitthermal.blogspot.com/

jinty

suzeeq
04-01-2007, 09:35 PM
There's one on the craftster forum - Thermal KAL (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=149132.0), and maybe on the knittyboard too. But that doesn't mean you can't start one here....

sue

MaryS
04-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Becca,

I have Thermal on my list, but I don't think I'll get to it until around August! :shrug: Too many baby blankets, graduation presents, etc. that need to be done on time. I bought one ball of Knitpicks Gloss to make fingerless gloves, just so I could see how this yarn knits up and wears, and I'm liking it so far. :cheering:

Mary

BostonBecca
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the information on the knit-a-longs!

Thank you for the information on gloss as well!

I am going to start knitting it after I finish my tank-top I think and after I try a pair of socks with the gloss I have ordered. Therefore, I won't be starting it for a bit as well. However, I'll post on here when I do and if anyone wants/is ready to join me then, great!

I'll also try and join the knit-a-long linked as well.

Thanks everyone!

lauraknits
04-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh, wow! I can't believe i missed this one. It is going on my list, but I have 2 pairs socks, one hat, and 3 sweaters OTN ahead of it...

I am making sox out of gloss right now, love it!

HamburgKnitter
04-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Hi!

I've been wanting to knit this ever since I saw it. It's probably WAY too advanced for me but I think I'll join you and give it a try! So I'll keep an eye out for when you start it. :happydance:

lizzitude
04-03-2007, 07:51 AM
This one is on my future list too.....but who knows when I'll get to it! I've got plenty on the needle, and plenty of yarn ordered for other projects right now!

Guin
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Oh , that looks like fun to make .
I want to start it only I am in the process of fixing my home for sale . Yippie !!! Going to be moving soon :cheering:

Allso, I wonder what other yarns could be used , subsituted.Maybe something with less wool , more cotton or silk.
:??
I will have to find out , This would make for a nice year round pullover sweater . Beach wear , winter wear , chilly spring days/nights, and fall time .

Definitly , this is on my to do list .

BostonBecca
04-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I'll post here once I have ordered the yarn for it and when I am about to start. I think it would be great in any number of substituted yarns, inlcuding a nice thin cotton like knitpicks shine sport if you wanted a summer one. I'm glad you all want to knit it as well!

Knitalia
04-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I just ordered the yarn & needles from Knitpicks. Did anyone else have a problem finding the needles? I tend to knit tightly so I ordered US 3's. Can't wait until everything gets here so I can get started. Does anyone know where knitpicks ships out of?

MaryS
04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Knitpicks ships from Ohio. Where are you?

Mary

Knitalia
04-03-2007, 02:58 PM
oops dup post

Knitalia
04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm in New Jersey. Shouldn't be long at all. :cheering: :cheering:

BostonBecca
04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
I hope you get your order soon! I can't wait to see your progress. I get my KnitPicks package tomorrow most likely based on the tracking info from KnitPicks and I will let you all know how the gloss works up.

Please keep us updated on your progress so that when we start it we have something to work towards!

Knitalia
04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I hope you get your order soon! I can't wait to see your progress. I get my KnitPicks package tomorrow most likely based on the tracking info from KnitPicks and I will let you all know how the gloss works up.

Please keep us updated on your progress so that when we start it we have something to work towards!
Thanks! I def. will. :happydance:

HamburgKnitter
04-07-2007, 03:22 AM
A few weeks ago I went to a place called the "Wool Factory" which was having a huge sale. I bought 2 huge spools (approx. 900 gr) of a pretty blue in a wool/merino/silk mix - it's almost the same shade of blue as in the thermal pattern. I swatched it and hit gauge spot on...so obviously it was meant to be. :heart:

I still have to get my hands on a circular needle with a long enough cord, though. If I find one at my LYS today I'll cast on this weekend and get the thermal started. I might need a head start, I've only been knitting for six months and I don't knit all that fast. Also, the yarn I'll be using splits very easily, so I have to pay close attention to my stitches.

Oh, and based on the time the swatch took to knit up, the size of the needles and the number of stitches per row....this is going to be a huge project! But I don't mind, I need a big project to work on. I also love the look & feel of the pattern in the swatch.

Knitalia
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
The Gloss is gorgeous! I can't wait to start, but I have got to finish at least one of the other 2 projects I currently have on the needles before I start this.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/andreamathews/gloss.jpg

HamburgKnitter
04-13-2007, 02:54 AM
ooooh, that is gorgeous! :heart:

I'm slogging my way through the bottom ribbing of the thermal and have one more row to go before I start on the waffle stitch pattern....this sweater is going to take me a lonnnnng time!

BostonBecca
04-14-2007, 09:19 AM
I ordered my yarn!!

Hmaburg Knitter, please keep us updated on your progress! I don't know when I will start this, but it will be after I finish my tanktop. I decided to go with the burgundy color and I can't wait to start working on it. It will probably have to be after finals as well because knitting can't be the the first priority which is so unfortunate sometimes!

I'll be joining the thermal slog-a-long soon!

HamburgKnitter
04-14-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm happy to say that the waffle stitch pattern goes ALOT faster than the twisted rib at the bottom. It took me FOREVER to get those 18 rows of ribbing done! It's still a slow knit due to the number of stitches, but I have hope now that I can finish it in this lifetime. :happydance: I'm only a couple of inches into the body of the sweater, so I'll post more when I have something to report.

I would have liked this in burgundy too! But I already had the perfect yarn, so mine will be a very similar color to the one in the pattern.

Guin
06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I have a habit of knitting more than one project at a time .
Blame it on the stress of trying to sell my house.:eyes:
So as well as knitting effeil and a couple others of my own design . I started this one using Bernat Softee Baby yarn. I love the waffle stitch , feels great on the hands.

BostonBecca
06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
That looks great! I think I will start this after I finish Tempting. I'm on the second sleeve so it shouldn't be much longer.

HamburgKnitter
06-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Yay! Somebody else started! :cheering:

I have a progress picture of my thermal at the top of my blog (link in signature). It's taking me FOREVER to knit this up. I'm using a mystery yarn that I got on a spool at the Hamburg "Yarn Factory". It's wonderful yarn with a bit of silk in it and it hits stitch gauge exactly, but the rows stack up much more compactly. I think I'm knitting almost double as many rows! But it looks really good. I managed to get four rows done last night, and that took me pretty much all evening.

I've got (I think) two more waffle-stitch patterns (8 rows) to go before I start with the bottom of the button placket. This is the biggest project I've ever taken on, and I'm not even sure if I'll get it done by the fall....I'm knitting other things too of course. :shifty: Right now I'm alternating days: one day clapotis, one day thermal....

Guin
06-21-2007, 02:15 PM
HamburgKnitter-looking great :thumbsup:
BostonBecca-Thanks , I am so tempted to take a peek at Tempting ,but I know if I do I will wind up starting that :roflhard:

Took a break by knitting up some heart pillows that have a pocket in the back. Then started coachella from knitty. I plan on working on Thermal today .

suzeeq
06-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I am so tempted to take a peek at Tempting ,

Tempted by Tempting.... heeeeheheee

Guin
06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Tempted by Tempting.... heeeeheheee

I thought the same thing while posting it , couldn't think of a better word :roflhard:

BostonBecca
06-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, I didn't finish Tempting, but I did leave it in a place I won't be again until the end of July! What was I thinking? I therefore will probably cast on for this in the next couple of days!

HamburgKnitter
06-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I haven't touched my thermal since my last post. :cry:

I have a second job teaching english in the evenings/early mornings as a freelancer for a large language school. I have one set class a week which I really enjoy, and the rest of the time I answer panic calls and rush over to teach a few hours - alot of businessmen getting private lessons, want-to-be stewardesses preparing for an english job interview, etc. It's been a busy week.

My question: does it it make sense to take on extra work to earn some yarn money when the extra work keeps me from knitting? :??

BostonBecca
06-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I cast on the stitches for this last night, but I think I am going to take that off, swatch, and then probably cast on for the size down. I think since I am between sizes, I will do the 36 rather than the 38. What do you guys think?

HamburgKnitter
06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I cast on the stitches for this last night, but I think I am going to take that off, swatch, and then probably cast on for the size down. I think since I am between sizes, I will do the 36 rather than the 38. What do you guys think?

I guess it would depend on the yarn. In the thermal KAL blog (it's linked somewhere close to the beginning of this thread), I think some of the people were saying that the thermal grew alot after blocking - they were using the yarn the pattern calls for. So you might want to block your swatch before making your final decision!

BostonBecca
06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks, I did swatch and block and I think I am getting 30 stitches to 4 inches and way off on row guage. I am going to order the size 3 needle from Knitpicks instead of the size 2.5 called for. I have to wait until I get it to swatch again though. Blah. Thanks for the advice. I am using the yarn called for. I am going to measure once again once my swatch is completely dry. It is only semi dry. I was getting 32 stitches to the 4 inches before blocking.

PS. I am using Gloss.

meearnol
06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm subscribed to this thread now. I've been thinking of knitting this one for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'll start it eventually, so consider me an observer to this KAL.