PDA

View Full Version : Yarn weight question for project

cookworm
04-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm finally going to make one of the toys in this (http://www.amazon.com/Knit-Square-Make-Library-Craftbooks/dp/1564262561/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0235452-5057729?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175547299&sr=8-1) book, and I'm really excited! :cheering: The book I have is a UK edition, and it calls for 8 ply acrylic yarn. Not to sound dumb, but I've only heard of 4 ply acrylic yarn...is this something available here in the U.S.? Will 4 ply acrylic work well? Is 8 ply yarn thicker than worsted weight? Nowhere in the book does it list yarn weight (if it helps, the toys are knitted on size 4mm/US size 6 needles). Will the 4 ply yarn work with these? I'm using Caron Simply Soft yarn (worsted weight).

ladyindica2000
04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi, There are 8 ply yarns, however, a 4 ply would work just as well, as long as it knits to gauge. This means that you want to knit a gauge swatch using the yarn you have choosen and make sure that you are getting the specified stitches per inch as stated in the pattern.

Generally you can substitute any yarn you would like for a pattern as long as it meets the gauge requirements. You could most likely even fudge it a little because you are knitting a toy and not a sweater (where if the gauge is off, your sweater would be either too big or too small). Plys can be very fine (lace weight) or not so fine (dk weight) before plying and this can account for the differences in weight.

So, to make a long story short, I say go for it, as long as you get gauge.

Hope that helps,

Trish

cookworm
04-02-2007, 05:18 PM
To further complicate things, there is no gauge given for the toys. The book says "our toys are made from acrylic 8-ply yarn, but you can substitute wool if you like. If you use a thicker or thinner yarn, though, the toy will be a different size from the one shown". And that's fine with me--that the size may not be 100% the same as what's listed in the book--I just want to make sure that the fiberfill won't poke through the stitches and show. I knitted one piece already, and because the listed gauge for my yarn is using a size 8 (5mm) needle, using the size 6 (4mm) as the book lists, I am hoping will be tight enough that even when the pieces are stretched a bit after adding the stuffing that it won't show through. With regards to yarn, I was hoping I could make the toys easily from rather accessible yarn, thus making them quickly, and make them rather cheaply by buying from "The Trinity" of craft stores (Joann's, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby) rather than a trip to a not-so-local YS for yarn for pricier yarn and having to spend a lot of driving just to get yarn. Hopefully, it'll work out okay.

Limey
04-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Cooksy

Seeing your post got me curious about 8-ply wool - I have heard of it but have never come across the beast before.

It seems to hang about down under in Australia:-

http://www.waverleyknittingyarn.com.au/

As for wool weights - a US 6 (4 mm needle) will be absolutely fine for Double Knitting and a US 8 (5 mm) is usually used here for Aran (worsted weight).

If you like, let me know which other wools or weights are mentioned in the book and I'll see what I can come up with to help you match them with needle sizes.

Limey

Sorry - did you say ALL the toys are made with 8-ply? Seems a bit rum - wonder if the book is Australian then?