PDA

View Full Version : Forum changes are coming...DATE CHOSEN Pg 5!

sheldon
04-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Is this thing on... :oo: *taps mic* sqqqeeeeaaaaahh! :shock:

Attention citizens of KH. It's Sheldon, KH's faithful and unwaivering technical guru. I've been working diligently for the past couple months laying the groundwork for a major forum upgrade. In a nutshell, we have outgrown our existing forum software (PHPBB) necessitating a change to something more powerful and and capable of growing with the ever growing community of KH'rs. The new software is vBulletin and offers us a more stable and secure forum as well as some very nice features for our members (better subscription management, better search, galleries, groups, better spam thwarting, and many more features that will be rolled out in the coming months).

Thankfully, vBulletin is very similar to our current forum software. For all intents and purposes they are pretty much identical. So the learning curve is nearly inexistent. There will be some new features and tools which may be unfamiliar, but the core features of the forum (boards, threads, posting, etc.) will be virtually identical.

While I anticipate the upgrade will go smoothly, there's one pre-upgrade precaution I would recommend everyone make beforehand: save a copy of your avatar and signature. While my initial tests show that this information is imported in just fine I think it's still a good precaution to take just in case.

As for the upgrade date...well it's still tentative. I am hoping sooner rather than later. I will post again once we have finalized a launch date. Unfortunately, KH's forum will be offline for the duration of the upgrade. My initial tests runs took roughly 6 hours to import in the old forum info. I will try to schedule the upgrade to take place during our least busy periods (12AM - 6AM EST).

That's the news from KH central.

Best,

- Sheldon

brendajos
04-02-2007, 10:23 PM
*gasp!* SIX HOURS?!?!!?! ARE YOU CRAZZZZZZZZZZZY? :thud:

;)

How exciting....growing growing growing! :happydance:

Thank you Sheldon and Amy! :muah:

jeanius80
04-02-2007, 10:24 PM
:heart: thanks for the heads up!
:cheering: yay for improvements! (but i do love KH as is.... :pout: ) my needles are crossed for luck!

sheldon
04-02-2007, 10:26 PM

In related news: Worldwide productivity increases 10-fold as a result of KH's forum outage.

brendajos
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM

In related news: Worldwide productivity increases 10-fold as a result of KH's forum outage.

lol while i would think it would be a good idea to do this in the middle of the day so I get more work done, the truth is that i would obsessively be checking the site all day long to see if it is working again.... so middle of the night is good! ;)

IrishKnitter
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
We're all looking forward to it! Thanks for all your hard work, Sheldon and Amy!!!! :muah:

HollyP
04-02-2007, 11:09 PM

Sheldon you crack me up! Amy you are a very lucky woman!

Thanks to both of you for the work you do here!! You're the Best!!

auburnchick
04-02-2007, 11:40 PM

:roflhard:

Actually, there are some of us who are still up between those hours...doing stupid college homework (because we work and rear children during the daylight hours). :teehee:

Thanks for continually looking out for us. I can't wait to see the new changes!!!

CateKnits
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM

Actually, there are some of us who are still up between those hours...doing stupid college homework (because we work and rear children during the daylight hours). :teehee:

Thanks for continually looking out for us. I can't wait to see the new changes!!!

My thoughts exactly! If it went down at midnight on a night I had to write a paper, I'd die without being able to have a KH break. :shock: Who's gonna entertain me and restore my sanity?!

snowbear
04-03-2007, 12:29 AM
:hug: Big hugs your ways... I love KH... and it has helped in so many ways.. there isn't room to list... sufice it to say thank you for looking out for us and doing the upgrade. 6 hours is a bit hard.. but ,, w/ warning.. we can get chocolate, watch movies... and email each other till KH is back up and running. If there is anything I can do to help... let me know... ( I'm an expert at tasting chocolate and seeing if it is worth of knitters, lol )

Thanks again!

Braden
04-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Great!

AnreeAce
04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Yay Sheldon! Thanks for the heads-up. :cheering:

Lisa Kay
04-03-2007, 02:25 PM

:roflhard: :chair: :roflhard: :chair:

6 hours is a bit hard.. but ,, w/ warning.. we can get chocolate, watch movies... and email each other till KH is back up and running.

Hey, I could actually spend some of this time knitting since I won't be able to get sucked into reading "just one more thread" on KH! :teehee:

Jan in CA
04-03-2007, 02:39 PM
:woot:

nonny2t
04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Sheldon for the heads up! I belong to another large forum and they went to VBulletin and like it a lot and you are right, it isn't a significant change for posters to adapt to.

dink
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
:woot:

What Jan said. How exciting!

MoniDew
04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
GROWING PAINS!!!!!!!! But it sounds like we are in good hands. Can't wait to see the new upgrades!

Eloewien
04-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I know how annoying upgrades can be... I've helped my hubby with a few. Good luck and I hope it all goes well and you don't end up :wall:

BinkyKat
04-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I love it when something necessitates the use of the word necessitating...
Reminds me of when our local cable co. did their fiber optic rebuild and I was temp receptionist....lots of people were not shy in vulgarly expressing how they thought the guys should did the trenches and do the work in the middle of the night when less people were affected by the outages. :?? Now, does it make sense to have people digging in your yard or removing the old wiring on your house when you are sleeping? :doh:

Thanks a heap for all you're doing...I imagine your announcement coming down like the Great and POWERUL OZ!!!!! :roflhard:

Carry on :eyebrow:

newknitteraswell
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Just a friendly bump

Quiara
04-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Sheesh. I disappear (admittedly, for a couple of months...) and suddenly everything's getting changed! Oh well - que sera, etc. The board is dead, long live the board! Or, you know, something . . .

nadja la claire
04-05-2007, 05:08 PM
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Thanks for all you do for us Sheldon. :muah: :notworthy:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

DragonsChest
04-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :angelgrin:

Can't wait to see the squeaky clean new vBulliten forum. Most of my other forums run this and it's great. Thanks for taking such good care of us all!

:flirt:

Braden
04-07-2007, 06:22 PM
I have noticed that we've been getting a lot of new members lately, so I think an upgrade would be good.

rebecca
04-09-2007, 07:13 PM
:cheering: :notworthy: :cheering: :notworthy: :cheering: Thanks so much for all that you do for us, Sheldon :cheering:

DragonsChest
04-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Soooooo.... is it really done? Because I don't see anything different at all, which may have been the whole point, in which case: Sheldon, you are a master at board upgrades!

:notworthy:

sheldon
04-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Not yet. Still working through some last minute debugging, etc.

DragonsChest
04-10-2007, 02:05 PM
OT: Is that StrongBad's buddy Cheet in your avatar, Sheldon?

sheldon
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
OT: Is that StrongBad's buddy Cheet in your avatar, Sheldon?

Yes it is. And the cheat doesn't really know how to knit. I mean, look at the way he is holding the needles! But hey, maybe that's how they knit in Strongbadia.

brownishcoat
04-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Or maybe he's just "Cheet-ing". :teehee:

Aquaria
04-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Wow!:) KH is upgrating! Thanks for doing this :cheering:

Arielluria
04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Sheldon, thanks for all the hard work and the heads up. Profile sig saved ;) I've worked with internet databases and I wouldn't want to do that again! You do great work! All us knitting junkies appreciate it!

DotMom61
04-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow! I really must get out of the blogs more often. :??

I just found out about this, and I'm very excited!! (I also like to rearrange my furniture a lot) Change is GOOD!!! Thanks, Sheldon! :muah:

DreamWeaver
04-17-2007, 02:45 AM
OoOoOoOo... shiney new internet stuff? :drool: We feel wubbed ^_^ Thanks Amy/Sheldon/anyone else who is working on this :hug:

DragonsChest
04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Will we know when it's done? Will the place look different? :shrug: Most of the boards I'm on, when they do an upgrade like this, you don't really see it.

GennyLynn1962
04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Wow! I really must get out of the blogs more often. :??

Same here, I just found it too.

Thanks Sheldon and Amy!!!

Shandeh
04-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I guess I was hiding under a rock or something, because this is the first I've heard of it. :teehee:

Sheldon and Amy, YOU TOTALLY ROCK! :thumbsup:

PaperGirl
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Or maybe he's just "Cheet-ing". :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

jess_hawk
04-24-2007, 09:31 PM

My thoughts exactly! If it went down at midnight on a night I had to write a paper, I'd die without being able to have a KH break. :shock: Who's gonna entertain me and restore my sanity?!

Wait, people sleep before 3am? why did nobody tell me this?! I thought everyone's daytime hours ran from 9am to 3am. LOL, thats college...

dewdrops
04-26-2007, 05:06 PM
That's a great news!! :cheering:
Thank you Sheldon and Amy for www.knittinghelp.com , it's a great site.

sheldon
04-26-2007, 10:43 PM
We're almost ready to do the changeover. There's a million and one minor things that were are still trying to iron out. I should be posting an update once we're ready to launch the new forum.

- Sheldon

feministmama
04-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Aw Sheldon you're so good to us :muah:

feministmama
04-27-2007, 12:29 AM
OOoooOOo I just thought of a question, will we loose our number of posts? Do we start over agian at zero? :??

sheldon
04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
OOoooOOo I just thought of a question, will we loose our number of posts? Do we start over agian at zero? :??

Post counts should be relatively the same. There might be a slight variance due to posts on the old forum having been moved/removed (ex: the occasional broken blog) and not counting when everything is moved over.

Shandeh
04-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Good luck with all that, Sheldon. We'll say a prayer for your nimble fingers and awesome brain. :)

ArtLady1981
04-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks! Will await the new and improved KH! :muah:

Shandeh
05-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :teehee:

madametj
05-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Are we there yet? NO! Are we there yet? NO! Are we there yet? NO! :teehee:

Shandeh
05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
:rofl:

BinkyKat
05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Don't MAKE me come back there! I swear I'll turn this board around and leave you BOTH at home!!!!

Shandeh
05-04-2007, 01:14 AM
:angelgrin:

DragonsChest
05-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :angelgrin:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

DotMom61
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Don't MAKE me come back there! I swear I'll turn this board around and leave you BOTH at home!!!!

:teehee:

I'm a little embarrassed to say that this *has* come out of my mouth once or twice. :oops:

(I hate it when I channel my parents.)

Stiney
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM

Simpsons, anyone? :rofl:

madametj
05-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Simpsons, anyone? :rofl:

exactly where i got it from. :teehee: :rofl:

amy
05-10-2007, 10:47 AM
The date has been chosen! :cheering:
The update will happen on Tuesday night (May 15th-16th), starting midnight EST. Site will hopefully be back online by Wed. at noon.

Stonington
05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
The update will happen on Tuesday night (May 15th-16th), starting midnight EST. Site will hopefully be back online by Wed. at noon.

:cheering: Oh but the WITHDRAWAL! :passedout:

anne

jhelanee
05-10-2007, 12:18 PM

You might want to reference this in the title (at least the page number) so people know to check this thread again...

SimplyKaar
05-10-2007, 01:58 PM

oh dear, what on earth am I going to do at work that day?? It'll be a slow and booooring day I tell ya!! :thud:

But it 'll mean that when I come home I'll have uninterrupted time to check out the new stuff :woot:

I'll be rooting for you and hoping it all will be a smooth transfer; thanks for all you have done and are still doing to make this the most awsome online community I've ever been at :muah:

ArtLady1981
05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
I promise to use my "time off" to KNIT UP A STORM!

How about it KNITTERS! Let's vow to KNIT KNIT KNIT whilst KH is reformatting!

xxx :cheering: xxx :cheering: xxx :cheering: xxx

Stiney
05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I'll be sleeping and working.

I'll actually have to work Wednesday morning! :thud:

Shandeh
05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I'll actually have to work Wednesday morning! :thud:
Alert the media! :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I'll be in Yosemite, thank god, or I would never make it!

DotMom61
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
If we all put a short note in our signatures about this linking to Amy's message, the word might get spread more quickly ... just a suggestion. :D

kblue
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Awesome!!! it's a good thing i have something on the needles to help me wait otherwise I'd be :nails: :nails: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :hair: :hair: :hair: :eyes: :eyes:

Shandeh
05-11-2007, 01:09 PM
If we all put a short note in our signatures about this linking to Amy's message, the word might get spread more quickly ... just a suggestion. :DI used to have the link in my signature, but then my signature filled up with Oddball Knitting projects! :teehee:

Wordsmith42
05-11-2007, 03:48 PM
a$'|'u'|'31Y

A message from me

brownishcoat
05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
We can use the KH flickr board (http://www.flickr.com/groups/64869286@N00/) to stay in touch while KH is down.

DQ
05-12-2007, 04:59 AM
I can't work out what time it will be for me when the change is happening :?? :oops:

suzeeq
05-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Those in the UK should be about 5 hours ahead of EDT, so figure most of Wednesday from about 5am to 5pm.

sue

tarrentella
05-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Those in the UK should be about 5 hours ahead of EDT, so figure most of Wednesday from about 5am to 5pm.

sue

Noooooo - im in work 8am till 4PM - the only way i survive is by having KH open in a wndow carefully peaking out from the work im supposed to be doing. Wednseday's gonna be longer than normal! :pout:

KellyK
05-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I didnt know we HAD a Flickr board! Cool! :cheering:

I cant help but worry about my blog... my LIFE is in there and Id DIE if I lost it! :oo:

feministmama
05-13-2007, 12:18 PM
a$'|'u'|'31Y

A message from me

Huh? :??

ADAllen
05-13-2007, 12:41 PM
I've been a member of a vBullitin forum for a few years, and I love everything that it's capable of. Thanks for all of your hard work Sheldon!

Braden
05-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm spreadin' the word! (check my sig)

suzeeq
05-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Noooooo - im in work 8am till 4PM - the only way i survive is by having KH open in a wndow carefully peaking out from the work im supposed to be doing. Wednseday's gonna be longer than normal! :pout:

Look at it this way... you'll get some work done for a change.... ;)

sue

DQ
05-13-2007, 04:39 PM

sue

Thanks for the info! :heart:

Shandeh
05-13-2007, 07:42 PM
I didnt know we HAD a Flickr board! Cool! :cheering:

Thank you Kelly!! :muah:

I started it several months ago, but not that many of us have joined yet.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/64869286@N00/

Nobones
05-14-2007, 03:09 PM
That long without KH..... Better warn hubby, I'll be cranky as hell!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you tech whizzes.

ArtLady1981
05-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I AM EXCITED ABOUT THE NEW & IMPROVED KH!

EVEN AS IT IS...IT IS THE BEST AND MOST INTERACTIVE KNITTING FORUM I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF PARTICIPATING IN!

No, I was not hollering....I am excited! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Krautie
05-14-2007, 04:45 PM

For poor little Krautie in Germany that means: A WHOLE DAY from the morning to the evening :shock: without KH :pout: :verysad:

But I'm very curious about the changes :wink:

heykaren
05-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Me too here in Spain.... egads, what am I going to do? :pout:

Well, good luck with the transition - canīt wait to see what you have in store for us!!!!! :happydance:

Whatīs a Flicker board - quick before they go down.......

Karen

lissalue
05-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Whatīs a Flicker board - quick before they go down.......

Flickr (http://www.flickr.com) is a website many of us use for our picture hosting. Sandy (Shandeh here) created a flickr group with a message board for KH so we have a place we can talk when KH is down.

orcoastknitter
05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Dang! It's bad enough I am going to be away from a computer for 6 days, but being cut off a day before I leave for my trip to California. I guess I could use the time to get things taken care of at work and least pack my suitcase.

:passedout:

Mulderknitter
05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Since I have the day off and am already done with the back of my sweater, maybe I'll have some pics when we come back up! :cheering:
or... I will have frogged the whole thing and will just have a tangled mess of yarn to show you all :verysad:

BinkyKat
05-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Anybody making any bets as to how many times we all click "just to see" if it's back even during a time we know full well it's offline? I just switched to my local cable co's internet today and the guy said to wait a half hour before going online and I'm positive I waited about 20 minutes at the most.

knitwit628
05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Forum changes sound cool! :D

ArtLady1981
05-15-2007, 03:30 AM
hmmm...it is 3:30 am EST...why am I able to post??? or am I???

Jan in CA
05-15-2007, 03:47 AM
hmmm...it is 3:30 am EST...why am I able to post??? or am I???

Because you're a day early. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
05-15-2007, 04:40 AM
THANKS JAN! This website, and all individuals associated with it, are absolutely the very best!

GennyLynn1962
05-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Anybody making any bets as to how many times we all click "just to see" if it's back even during a time we know full well it's offline?:teehee:

I know I'll be one doing that. :teehee:

Stonington
05-15-2007, 02:16 PM
[quote=BinkyKat]Anybody making any bets as to how many times we all click "just to see" if it's back even during a time we know full well it's offline?:teehee:

I am sure I will :whistle:

anne

AnreeAce
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Anybody making any bets as to how many times we all click "just to see" if it's back even during a time we know full well it's offline?

:whistle: Don't know what you're talking about!

Stiney
05-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Anybody making any bets as to how many times we all click "just to see" if it's back even during a time we know full well it's offline? I just switched to my local cable co's internet today and the guy said to wait a half hour before going online and I'm positive I waited about 20 minutes at the most.

:notworthy: I am amazed at your restraint and patience! :notworthy:

I would've spent all 30 minutes trying to get online. :rofl:

Jan in CA
05-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but amused myself so much I'll post it here, too. :teehee:
-----------------------------------------
Hmm...what will we do,...what will we do?.................................... :thinking: ...............................I GOT IT! :figureditout: Let's KNIT!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

And if you want we can share what we did during the Big KH Blackout!

AnreeAce
05-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Hmm...what will we do,...what will we do?.................................... :thinking: ...............................I GOT IT! :figureditout: Let's KNIT!!

What an interesting idea! :rofl:

I'll take progress pics tonight of what I'm working on, and more to show what I got done!

puppyluv
05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Ahh yes, I can hear it now:
"so...where were YOU during the great KH Blackout of '07...???"

And then we will tell stories of great hardship...

...some people will actually be forced to do laundry...:noway:
But we will survive, and we'll be stronger, even!

lissalue
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Ahh yes, I can hear it now:
"so...where were YOU during the great KH Blackout of '07...???"

And then we will tell stories of great hardship...

...some people will actually be forced to do laundry...:noway:
But we will survive, and we'll be stronger, even!

this is exactly what i am afraid of, having to actually do housework. it skeers me! :shock:

mintdee
05-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I worry for you ladies and gents. :teehee: :teehee:

Thankfully I will be sleeping during the outage so I won't have much to worry about. Now if it is still out in the morning... :shrug: I make no promises as to my sanity when it is complete. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
What will we do?

:figureditout: KNIT & KNIT & KNIT :figureditout:

Might actually get a lot done, too! xxx :guyknitting: xxx :X: xxx :guyknitting:

BinkyKat
05-15-2007, 07:30 PM

Don't blackouts usually result in children down the road? i.e. wasn't there a significant baby boom in the 70's in NY 9 months later :shrug: :eyebrow:

I know I'll be checking to see if anyone else is checking :roflhard:

Shandeh
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I'll be knitting and sewing. :)
Maybe I'll work on something BLACK.

puppyluv
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Don't blackouts usually result in children down the road? i.e. wasn't there a significant baby boom in the 70's in NY 9 months later :shrug: :eyebrow:
Hmmm. How about, for Feb. 2008, we can have the "KH Blackout Baby Bootie KAL!" :roflhard:

orcoastknitter
05-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Well I watch House tonight, then after that I have to get ready for my trip to California. I will be on the road tomorrow from 9am to about 3pm, nowhere near a computer.

I wish I could be knitting, but maybe I will sneak some time in this weekend.

bip
05-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Wow, the switch-over went fast! (at least to me - probably seemed longer to the person doing the work, lol).