PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!!!!

arrosa
04-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Am I ever going to be able to knit any kind of a lacey pattern?????

Yarn overs are not my friend. I just don't get them!! I don't get skpo's, psso's any of that stuff. I watch Amy's videos and can see how to do them all seperately, and then I try and put them together and I get nothing even close to resembling a hole.

I guess, I'll just have to stick with knits and purls....ribbing will be my friend :(

I'm just so tired of not getting it!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!! One of these days it will click, right?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Lucy

snowbear
04-03-2007, 01:21 AM
FIrst of all.. yes.. it will click. Maybe you are trying to learn too many new stitches at once.

Try just yo's . nothing else. Then add a different stitch. Believe me, it will come... you should have seen some of my first attempts, lol :roflhard: It was horrible.

But, that is how I learned. I printed off things... took it one step at a time on the video.. till I figured one at a time how to do it. I'm still learning.. and have a long way to go.

Hang in there..

Bear hugs your way!

Jan in CA
04-03-2007, 01:42 AM
How long have you been knitting? If you are new you might want to work with a worsted weight yarn till you get a feel for all the stitches that are frustrating you right now. :shrug:

arrosa
04-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Yeah, I hope it will click, but right now it just seems like it never will :(

I started kniting in November. I've made umpteen scarves, so I figured I would try something differetnt....this is where the trouble began :??

I am using a worsted weight yarn. Right now I WAS trying to do a really pretty dishcloth pattern that I found. It's a lacy mock cable looking pattern. It really looks good on the internet, just not so good in my hands!!

thanks for the words of encouragement. It's just not a good knitting night for me....

suzeeq
04-03-2007, 10:42 AM
A yarnover is making a knit stitch but without the right needle inserted into a stitch on the left needle. Try a sampler where you yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog all the way across (do a k1 on each end) and knit the following row. Repeat these two rows for a few inches. Then try a row of sl1, k1, psso, yo and knit the next row. Try that for a few inches. Don't stop and undo it if you make a mistake, just keep practicing. After a while you'll get better at it.

sue

arrosa
04-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks Sue, I'll give it a try. I think I have the techniques down, it's just that when I do them in the pattern, they don't make the design, they're suppose to ......... I guess, that means that I actually don't have the techniques down, huh?!??!?!?! :shrug:

dink
04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I started kniting in November. I've made umpteen scarves, so I figured I would try something different

I just started knitting, and like you, have the scarf down! :X: A few people on here have told me that the Booga Bag is very simple to make and is a good way to try something different from the scarf. I'm going to be buying my yarn for it hopefully tonight or tomorrow. So, should you try it, I know there are MANY people who can help you should you run stuck! :hug:

http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html
http://www.blacksheepbags.com/kureyon_felted_bag.jpg

auburnchick
04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I started kniting in November. I've made umpteen scarves, so I figured I would try something different

I just started knitting, and like you, have the scarf down! :X: A few people on here have told me that the Booga Bag is very simple to make and is a good way to try something different from the scarf. I'm going to be buying my yarn for it hopefully tonight or tomorrow. So, should you try it, I know there are MANY people who can help you should you run stuck! :hug:

http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html
http://www.blacksheepbags.com/kureyon_felted_bag.jpg

This is a GREAT pattern...very easy and introduces you to knitting in the round. PLUS, it looks harder than it actually was. Mine is drying right now!

tilllie
04-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Lucy, remember also sometimes it takes several rows before you see the pattern emerge. Starting with dishcloths is a great way to learn new techniques, don't give up !!

auburnchick
04-03-2007, 06:42 PM
You know, you might want to try each step and then take a picture of your work so you can really study it to understand what is happening with the yarn. I know it sounds time-consuming, but it may well be worth it.

When I'm having trouble with a new stitch, I watch myself very, very carefully. Then I'll look at the stitch when I've gone up a couple of rows to see exactly what effect occurred.

cookworm
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't know if it will help, but for me, I find that if I persist on a pattern for a few rows, it helps. I don't always see the pattern emerging until maybe a few rows have gone by, so I tend to get frustrated right away. Maybe you're doing it right, but you haven't knitted enough rows to see your pattern clearly? Also, with regards to increases and decreases (like lace patterns), make sure you're counting your stitches every time you finish a row to make sure you didn't accidentally add in another stitch or drop off a stitch. This is really helpful advice that was given to me.

I think you can do it. It amazes me how much I've learned in the 2 years I've been knitting. I'll certainly never be a professional or anything, but when I look at books that I was convinced I'd never be able to knit stitches from not that long ago--and now I can do them successfully and confidently with ease--it gives me a "boost" to keep on trying new things. And everybody on this list is SOOO KNOWLEDGEABLE and helpful, which has helped a lot; the collective experience in this group AMAZES me. Don't give up. Using a little bit larger needles and some worsted weight yarn to do lace patterns (just to try them out) may be the best way to be able to see what the patterns are. You can do this!!! :hug:

auburnchick
04-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Also, with regards to increases and decreases (like lace patterns), make sure you're counting your stitches every time you finish a row to make sure you didn't accidentally add in another stitch or drop off a stitch. This is really helpful advice that was given to me.

Oh yes, great tip!! I did this when I recently made the Branching Out scarf. I figured out rather quickly that I had to count every time...even on the easy rows. It took a little extra time, but it prevented me from having to frog back more than one row.

Good luck!

Abbily
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Give this pattern a try, just doing a square. You have to knit through all the rows to see the pattern, but it really is quite easy. I had to watch the individual videos in Amy's Glossary for YO and SSK, but once I did that *while* knitting the pattern a few times, I got them down. I had to literally knit in front of my computer though, because until I had practiced them several times, I *thought* I had them down but they never turned out right.

arrosa
04-03-2007, 11:29 PM
You guys are all so great!! Your encouragement is so great and makes we want to continue and try harder. I am going to try the pattern again.
Carey, was there suppose to be a pattern link in your post? I am going to try the first one given to me yo, ssk, yo, ssk....and just keep practicing!! Thank you all!!!

I love this website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart: :cheering: :heart: :cheering:

Abbily
04-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Lucy, SORRY! :) Yup, there's supposed to be a pattern link... duh... :D

Here it is: it's basically just YO's and SSK's, with a couple of K2tog's thrown in for good measure. :)

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=279

arrosa
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Thank you Carey!! I'm gonna give it a try tonight. Last night I tried the pattern that Sue gave me and I actually got a really pretty design and there were ACTUALLY HOLES WHERE THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO BE....WOOOHOOOO :cheering:

Thanks!!!!!

Abbily
04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
YAY! Go, Lucy! :) I think it's just a 'muscle memory' type thing- if you practice enough, it will start to make sense. :)

suzeeq
04-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Yep, all it takes is practice.

sue