PDA

View Full Version : Somebody pat me on the back please!!!! (seaming)

VictoiseC
04-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh my god. I tried it this morning and couldn't do it. Went out for lunch, came back and got very determined and

I DID IT!!!!!! :cheering: I just learned how to seam my first cardigan. Oh my god. And I think it actually looks pretty darn good.

What a pain though isn't it? this seaming thing? No wonder certain people "send out" all their things to be finished.

And now I know why EZ advocates seamless sweaters. I can't wait to try that! What do you think. Does it look ok to you (oh please don't tell me to rip it out...........................)

The inside seems a little bulky, the seam I mean, but I suppose I can learn how to make it less so.

Ingrid
04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
:cheering: :cheering: It doesn't get any better than that!!! Congratulations!!

tilllie
04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Your sweater is very pretty and the seaming looks great! Congratulations.

jeanius80
04-03-2007, 06:46 PM
:cheering: great seaming job! i like the yarn you used too!

Weebie
04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
What a beautiful sweater!!!

Your seaming looks fantastic! Great job!!!!

losnana
04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
PAT, PAT, PAT!!!

I hate seaming, so I make all sweaters in the round. I think you'd love doing them that way.

Jan in CA
04-03-2007, 07:22 PM
PAT, PAT, PAT!!!

I hate seaming, so I make all sweaters in the round. I think you'd love doing them that way.

Me too so far! It looks fabulous! People send things out to be finished? :??

Abbily
04-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I haven't tried seaming yet, but my current project is going to require a bit of seaming....

Anyway, I think yours looks GREAT!! Good job! :D

cookworm
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Yay!!!! :cheering: You did it!!!! And your sweater and seaming BOTH look beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I haven't knitted a garment yet, I hate seaming anything, no matter how small. It goes back a long time from when I was a kid and my mom taught me how to hand sew...I have no self-confidence in my hand-sewing (that's why I do all my quilting by machine, too! :oops: )

Aquaria
04-04-2007, 12:28 AM
:cheering: Pat pat on your back! :thumbsup:

Your seam looks sooo darn neat!:) I wish I'd be that good one day :teehee:

aineepooh1
04-04-2007, 03:06 AM
That is a beaufiful piece of work~! :cheering: :cheering:
What kind of stitch are you usingon the cuffs of the sleeves.. I like it.. it has a very elegant appearance~! :cheering: :happydance:

HamburgKnitter
04-04-2007, 03:24 AM
That looks excellent! :cheering:

I don't totally HATE seaming - I wanted to learn how to do it, so I made a sweater in parts. But I was worried the whole time whether it would line up right and whether the sleeves would fit into the armholes. I had an "ah ha" moment while seaming two sides together - I really liked the way they pulled together and the seam became invisible. So that part was fun...kind of. :teehee:

I really like your sweater!

I know that EZ was an advocate for knitting in the round, but supposedly some sweaters "sit" better when they have the seam up the side. So there is a use for both methods, it seems.

iza
04-04-2007, 08:45 AM
:cheering: :cheering: Good job! It looks great! I have a WIP waiting to be seamed... It's been waiting for... 6 months... :oops:

VictoiseC
04-04-2007, 09:58 AM
BIG THANKS to all of you sweet knitters! Just got up this morning and it's nice to get so many pats on the back! :hug:

Yeah, it's amazing the way those sleeves just fit in there and that mattress stitch pulled together. One thing, if I ever do this again (which I might) it will be a welcome relief to use a stronger yarn. This was very natural undyed sheepy yarn and if you pull it too hard it WILL BREAK. So I had to pull some stitches closed every inch or so.

And yeah Jan! you haven't heard about those luxury ladies who just like to knit but won't do the finishing? Well, I don't know any personally but I have read about them. And the yarn shop down the street has a sign out front that says "Excellent Finishing". I just noticed that this week after passing by there for years.

That sweater is from Vogue Magazine Winter 2004/5. It was done in a much more elegant yarn, in red with a fake fur attached collar. The hem and sleeve bottoms are done in double moss stich, which I've never done before and it looks really terrific. A nice change from the usual ribbing.

The buttonholes were my first too and although I watched Amy's video and tried it, it didn't work I think because of the double moss stitch, so I did them different. (binding off 2 and casting on 2 on the next row) DOES ANYBODY REINFORCE THEIR BUTTONHOLES? I have this bulky sweater I bought and the buttonholes are so neat, they've been sort of reinforced I call it by stitching all around them after their done.

Now I get to go to the garment district to shop for buttons!

I can't wait to do a sweater in the round.... my next challenge.

VictoiseC
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
P.S. Iza, that's too funny, I have one other sweater and a vest sitting in their bags for months now coz I've been afraid to seam. Guess I got to get them out now. :pout:

bobi1218
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
That looks great! I'm going to seam my first sweater today, and I'm petrified!!! The knitting part is fun, the seaming part seems like it would be a PITA. I guess I should just take a deep breath and go for it!

Ingrid
04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Before I learned mattress stitch, I hated my finished sweaters because the seams ruined them. Once I learned it, though, it opened all kinds of doors--it's magic!

jeanius80
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
you could use embroidery floss to reinforce your button holes. i would just do a buttonhole stitch (http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/07/buttonhole-stitch-various-uses.html) around the actual edge of the buttonholes. works fabulous :cheering:

GinnyG
04-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Very nice!! I hate seaming as well and avoid it like the plague, that is why I love the Knitting PUre and Simple patterns.

Where is your pattern from, it is lovely!

VictoiseC
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Before I learned mattress stitch, I hated my finished sweaters because the seams ruined them. Once I learned it, though, it opened all kinds of doors--it's magic!

So right Ingrid, I think I've almost begun to enjoy it! But I can't wait to do some of the stuff you do (intarsia, steeking!)

Jeanius, THANKS for the link, that's a great instructional one.

And Bobi, go for it! It comes together (ha) really easy after a little practice.

I'm going to have to look at those Pure & Simple patterns.

OH, I posted the pattern earlier here, it's in Vogue magazine.

carmabelle1191
04-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Good job! I just finished a shrug, and I'm sick of sewing the seams, even after the shoulder and attaching the sleeve. I am slightly confused, but more just frustrated that everything just doesn't stay in place like I want it to. I'm thinking of taking to my LYS for help tomorrow, because one of the ladies there knows me and is always willing to help. I also have the problem of a bulky seam on the outside (in other words, it shows a lot). I can't believe you have the endurance for that! Now that I know what you're going through, I can appreciate it more! :teehee:

Carla1019
04-05-2007, 10:52 PM
P.S. Iza, that's too funny, I have one other sweater and a vest sitting in their bags for months now coz I've been afraid to seam. Guess I got to get them out now. :pout:

Me and you both. I just finish a sweater. I am hopping I have time to sew it together tomorrow. My first. :happydance:

I have a question. Which way is better. To hand sew with the yarn or do it on a sewing machine?

msoebel
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
I think your sweater is lovely...the seaming is clean and crisp and the pattern is gorgeous. I would wear it (hint hint... :teehee: ).

Misty

VictoiseC
04-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Whew sorry, I got caught up in Easter celebrating and didn't check back here!

Thanks Sarah for the compliment! I found it's VERY IMPORTANT to be in a good mood, have a nice big empty table to work on, and do it (in my case) in the early part of the day when you feel like concentrating. And GO SLOW at first. The other funny thing is, it helps sometimes to stand up and look down at the rows and not get in there too close if you know what I mean. Step back. And be patient, and stop and smooth it all out to make sure it's going to meet up at the bottom. Well, I put some pins but I don't like too many pins.

My top shoulder seams are a little bulkier than the side seams but only on the inside. It's really amazing how the rows come together wow!!! I love it. (maybe you pulled too hard so it got a little more bulkier on the outside?)

(Sarah, can you post a picture of your shrug? I want to see it, what kind it is and why it has seams to be sewn up, I thought shrugs usually don't)

Carla, I've never heard of using a machine on a handknitted sweater. Yikes. That would be rather horrible I think I don't think it would work.

And you Misty! Thanks for the compliment too but SORRY, it's my first cardigan and I'magonnabe the one wearin' it! :happydance: