PDA

View Full Version : Abandoning a Project

Inis
04-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I feel like such a quitter!

A few weeks ago, I started a throw that requires making 48 squares -- and then seaming them together. Last night, I decided to put a few together to see what it'll look like .... and I HATE IT! :pout:

So, I decided to use the squares I have already knitted to make a pillow and ditch the project. I'm glad I didn't make all 48 and THEN start seaming, but I feel bad about quitting -- LOL.

Anyway, I'm on the look out for a good throw pattern -- something that looks good from both sides if that's possible. Point me to one if you know of one. I've thought about ordering Chin's double-sided cable throw pattern, but I'm hesistating. Has anyone done that pattern? Is it over-reaching for an intermediate-beginner?

Abbily
04-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Knitting is supposed to be enjoyable- so there's no point in wasting time finishing something you hate! :) Move on to something you LOVE! :)

stitchwitch
04-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I disowned a sweater I was knitting, it's still sitting in the closet unfinished and I doubt I'll finish it. Don't feel bad, knitting projects don't have feelings, you can cut them out of your life without any bad repercutions. :roflhard:

aineepooh1
04-05-2007, 11:01 AM
go to knittingpatterncentral.com...t hey have BOOCOOS of FREE patterns available

Jan in CA
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I've frogged my share of projects, the most recent a nearly done sweater. If you don't like it you may as well use the yarn for something else.

I prefer reversible throws so I've looked at that one, too. It's pretty and I'll probably buy it sometime.

Mommy22alyns
04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
You're not quitting... you're redesigning! :wink:

nadja la claire
04-05-2007, 05:28 PM
You're not quitting... you're redesigning! :wink:

There's no use in wasting time on something you don't like. We've all frogged things that we didn't like or just weren't working. There no shame in "redesigning".

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Braden
04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
You are not a quitter! We've all done that before. I remember my first patchwork afghan, and the joins stank! Don't worry about it!

Angelia
04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Sometimes I feel I frog more projects than I complete! Poorly chosen patterns, poorly chosen yarns, some combo of both, or just a dislike that develops over time for reasons unknown. :shrug: And I agree with what everyone here has said: we've all been through it AND there's no sense wasting time on a project you hate! :hug:

aineepooh1
04-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I really view the whole knitting process as experimentation. Since we experiement with different yarns, colors, textures, needles, and patterns I completely consider it an artistic process~ and many artists have scrapped thier work and moved on to something greater~
It's just part of the leanring experience~!! :cheering: :cheering:
have fun with it~ thats what knititng is supposed to be

:happydance: :cheering:

Braden
04-06-2007, 09:05 AM
And, if you don't like a project while you're knitting it, you're probably not going to like it after it's done, so what's the point?

Angelia
04-06-2007, 09:40 AM
And, if you don't like a project while you're knitting it, you're probably not going to like it after it's done, so what's the point?

Exactly! Frog away and then find something delicious to do with that yarn!

losnana
04-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I am just about ready to frog a pair of socks that I've completed up to the foot. I haven't touched them in 3 weeks because I was working feverishly to finish a throw for my mom. Now I cannot figure out where I stopped, nor can I find the paper where I wrote it down. After 3 hours knitting and tinking lst night i tried them on again. They're too BIG!!! I don't know how that happened. since I'm losing weight maybe I lost weight in my feet?!! Wonderful. That was exactly where I wanted to lose. Anyhow, I feel your pain!!

jenarita
04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
What throw was it you were working on?

Somewhere in my list of project to do someday is a throw with 40 something panels seamed together...

Inis
04-08-2007, 08:38 PM
The pattern is called Cascading Leaves -- free on Lion yarn's website.

Only -- in my case it looks more like Cascading blobs :)

But, I did finish a pillow with the eight squares I completed. I crocheted a flower for each side, put left over pearl shank buttons in the center and called it good.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/inislovely/knit/DCP_0003.jpg

shellebelle216
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I :heart: the pillow!!!

snowbear
04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
That pillow is awesome... I love love love that color.....

losnana
04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Pretty, Pretty!!!

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:11 PM
VERY nice pillow!

Inis
04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Aw, thanks!