PDA

View Full Version : Knitting graph paper...I need some help please...

figaro
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
I have decided that I want to try and make a dishcloth that I cannot find anywhere. I thought I would start by using knitting graph paper but when I went to http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/matrix/e-index.html and put in 40 stitches by 40 rows (I thought that would be a good size to start out with) it just looks like a page filled with a chart? :?? Is that the way it is supposed to look, I thought it would look like a square, you know kinda like a dishcloth. Didi I enter the right information, I have never done this before so I am starting from the beginning here.

Thanks for any and all help offered...

(I want to try and make a dishcloth with a feather on it for my mom and daughter)

BillSpace
04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
The way it works is that you put in your gauge over four inches -- say 19 stitches by 25 rows, or whatever you get with the yarn and needles you want to use. Then it prints up a whole sheet with the ratio between rows and columns correct. (It avoids the problem with standard graph paper, with height of rows equal to width of columns; in knitting, stitch height is almost always shorter than width, so there are more of them per inch.)

If you enter 40 by 40, it read that as your gauge being 40 stitches by 40 stitches for a four inch swatch -- not what you meant at all, I'm sure!

Make sense?

Braden
04-05-2007, 05:45 PM
It's because the stiches and rows are equal. If the numbers aren't the same, it's rectangular, like regular Knitter's Graph paper.