PDA

View Full Version : Sock Yarn!

BostonBecca
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I was wondering if this: "It is a Fingering weight, needle size 0-3, gauge 10-16 stitches per inch over a 4" square - each are appx. 875 yards - 1/4lb. in weight." would be enough to make 2 pairs of women's standard size socks?

Vendie
04-06-2007, 11:18 AM
If it truly is fingerling weight, then yeah, you'd have enough for two pairs (some patterns will consume more yarn than others, though).

auburnchick
04-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Beautiful yarn. I wonder, though, with the gauge if it's too thin for socks?? Seems like a lot of stitches per inch.

Vendie
04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I was thinking that too. It almost seems more suited for lace or something.

hellokitty165
04-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I was wondering if this: "It is a Fingering weight, needle size 0-3, gauge 10-16 stitches per inch over a 4" square - each are appx. 875 yards - 1/4lb. in weight." would be enough to make 2 pairs of women's standard size socks?

yes ... i used 420m to make a pair of standard sock before and it more than enough... you should be fine with two pairs

BostonBecca
04-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks! I hope to get two pairs out of this or maybe just some really awesome knee high socks.

If it's lace wieght, I guess I will just try something lacey!

SandraEllen
04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
How many grams or ounces is it?

sock yarn usually runs 350 to 450 yards for 100 grams.
lace weight is 2x that at about 800 yards for 100 grams.

oops. I see that it's 1/4lb or about 113 grams.
I'd say that would be lace weight yarn...

auburnchick
04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I was thinking that too. It almost seems more suited for lace or something.

The new SKS book (which I got in the mail yesterday) has a chart with suggested gauge and needle size.

For fingering yarn, it suggests 8 1/2 - 10 sts (needle size 0 or 1). That's why I'm thinking it might be too thin. They would probably be beautiful, but how long would they last? How comfortable would they be?

You could probably make a really pretty lace shawl with that. It has such beautiful, rich colors.

Calamintha
04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Yup, it's definitely laceweight. Knitpicks laceweight yarns are 440 yards per 50 grams. I'd be curious to know what particular yarn this is. I have been seeing more and more online vendors selling yarn that was mislabelled as to the actual weight. Buyer beware. It pays to do the math as far as figuring yardage per weight to make sure that what you are buying is actually the weight yarn that it says it is.

kblue
04-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but OMG I love the colors :inlove:

Yvonne
04-06-2007, 05:10 PM
That is so pretty. Is it Mystical Creations Etsy shop yarn? Seems like lace weight to me.

rebecca
04-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Lovely colorway! If it's a lacewt yarn then you can use 2 strands together for socks and probably get one pair...checking your gauge, will, of course, let you know if you have lace of fingering wt yarn...I know a very pretty pattern or 2 that require doubled lace wt for the socks, just let me know if you need them!

BostonBecca
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Thank you so much for all of your answers and compliments on the yarn. I don't know if it will turn out to be laceweight or sock yarn. It said sock yarn in the description, but who knows? All I know is that I fell in lust with the colors. It is Mystical Creation Yarn but I got it off ebay. I've never made socks before but I have some gloss from KnitPicKs that I am winding into balls to start my first pair using Silver's sock tutorial. I'll post my own picture of the two yarn strands next to each other when this yarn comes in the mail so we can all compare. If it is laceweight, I would love any suggestions as to what to make with it, or patterns for socks using two of the strands held together.

This will hands down be the most interesting and lovely yarn I own.

BostonBecca
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I got the yarn today.

I will be putting pictures up on my blog sometime tonight with a couple strands next to strands of KnitPicks Gloss. It looks to be the same thickness as KnitPicks Gloss roughly, so it should be fine for socks. It is very pretty.

Thanks for the concern and advice everyone!