PDA

View Full Version : Pretty pattern

cookworm
04-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Has anybody seen this (http://web.archive.org/web/20020624070248/http://www.balart.com/CANDLE.HTM) pattern? I thought it was really pretty.

Braden
04-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh, that's nice. I'm casting on for it tomorrow! (for my grandmother, not me)

cookworm
04-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Oh, that's nice. I'm casting on for it tomorrow! (for my grandmother, not me)

:rofl:

Conti, since you're knitting this, I thought I'd bring this to your attention. I happened to come across two versions of this pattern, and there's a link that has corrections to the "original" pattern, though it doesn't say which of the two is the original pattern. Here's the pattern links:

Version 1 (http://web.archive.org/web/20020624070248/www.balart.com/CANDLE.HTM)
Version 2 (http://toveb.typepad.com/candle_flame_shawl.pdf)
Corrections (http://www.knottygirls.com/jenlablog/freepatterns/candleflamecorr.pdf)

I think the corrections go with Version 1 shawl because that's the same sequence of stitches the corrections list. What bugs me is that the stitches on both shawl samples look similar, yet differ from each other because one has a 30 row repeat and the other one has a twenty row repeat. And Version 2 doesn't list any type of suggestions for yarn, needles, gauge.

Please let me know how this is to knit and which pattern you'll use. I'm thinking I'd like to make one, but I'm a little bit baffled by which pattern is "safer" to use.

Braden
04-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I couldn't wait. I cast on about a half hour ago. I'm making Version 1, and I don't see where it needs corrections. I'm about 4 inches in, and it's really easy. It goes fast in the thick wool and big needles. I would say try it!

Edit: I'm knitting it in KnitPicks Wool of the Andes Bulky, on size 9 needles, and it's going pretty fast!

Ginger0104
04-08-2007, 01:56 AM
This is so pretty! Thanks for sharing it :muah:

I'm thinking it would also make a lovely shawl for MY granny :)

Ginger0104
04-08-2007, 01:56 AM
This is so pretty! Thanks for sharing it :muah:

I'm thinking it would also make a lovely shawl for MY granny :)

REVS
04-08-2007, 02:51 AM
Cookworm, I saw this pattern a while ago, but lost it again (i.e. didn't bookmark it immediately). Thanks for bringing it up again.

ContiKnitter, please let us know how it's turning out for you.

I want to make this for MYSELF - okay and for my mom, maybe.... :)

Aquaria
04-08-2007, 05:02 AM
I love it :) Looks like many leaves :teehee:

I'll probably try that some time :cheering:

Good luck on the shawl ContiKnitter :thumbsup:

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
I posted pics on my blog, but here it is. It's going really well. I'm doing mine in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky in Pewter on #9 needles.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr08244.jpg
And here's a closeup:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr08245.jpg

Enjoy!

kristinw
04-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow! That is so nice! I wish it had a chart though. I can follow those so much better. I suppose I could make one if I really wanted.

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Do I smell a Knit Along coming on? ;)

meearnol
04-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Conti - Just to clarify, you're knitting from the pattern linked in the FIRST post, WITHOUT the corrections. Am I right? I'd love to try this one, and your's looks lovely.

Thanks!

Braden
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm knitting the first one, and as far as I know, it doesn't need any corrections.

hellokitty165
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
i had made one of those for my DH's god-mother who had cancer... she love it ! easy pattern too !

but row 19 and 20 got error...hopefully they corrected it aldy...

Braden
04-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I think they've corrected it, because there doesn't seem to be any trouble with mine.

GinnyG
04-08-2007, 11:23 AM
That is really beautiful!!!!

What is the yarn requirement? How much lambs pride bulky?

I may have to give it a try, or at least add it to the "list"!!!

Mommy22alyns
04-08-2007, 11:40 AM
:thinking: Hmmmm... Grandma would like something hand-knit...

Debbie
04-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Version 1 in cookworm's post is the version with a mistake ...
Rows 19 and 20 are the corrections ...

Thanks cookworm for the post ... I would have never figured it out myself!

knitaddict
04-08-2007, 01:15 PM
That's beautiful!! I think I'll work on that when I'm done with my baby afghan. :)

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Contiknitter,
Did you make the corrections according to Cookworm's post on rows 19 and 20?

Also, is WOTA Bulky a soft wool? I love your shawl and would love to make it for my Mom for her Birthday!
Thanks,
Merry

Braden
04-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm not using Lamb's Pride, I'm using Wool of the Andes Bulky, and it is a really soft yarn! I'm just using the directions on the first link, and it does't seem to need corrections.

DQ
04-08-2007, 04:57 PM
That is lovely! I'm wondering if I should frog another shawl I was sort of making but got fed up with and try this pattern...

Debbie
04-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Contiknitter... you must be really good at reading your knitting .. because... rows 19 and 20 are wrong on that pattern ... AND...
I can't make rows 29 & 30 work either ... it seems that I should go back to row 19 after 28 and continue from there...

I am off to check version #2 and see what the repeat is on that one.

I am using Knit Picks mainline ..#10 needles to get a lighter fabric than bulky wt wool.... and it is pretty ... just can't seem to make the pattern work! It could be me... anyone else gone through all 30 rows of Version # 1 ?

Braden
04-08-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't know why. The instructions seem right to me. Are you making version 1 or 2?

Braden
04-08-2007, 06:17 PM
So, do we want to start a Knit Along ;) ?

aineepooh1
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
That is one LOVELY~ design~!

WoW~! :heart:

Braden
04-08-2007, 08:56 PM
It's also an EASY one. Great for a first shawl, if you can understand the double increase and decrease this pattern has. It also has CO 3 at the end of some rows, and that can be tricky to do evenly.

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I guess I'm kind of confused...is there a problem with the pattern or not? LOL! I'm not going to start it this week, so hopefully Contiknitter can answer this.

After looking at both patterns listed by Cookworm, I thought it was version 1 that needed the corrections...Hopefully, we can make some sense of this!

I would be interested in the KAL...I'm not sure how to do the decreases though...I'm sure I'll figure it out! LOL!

I'm still knitting the "My So Called Scarf" and absolutely loving it!

Merry...who just started knitting in October 2006!

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm knitting version 1, and if there were corrections, they've been changed in the pattern. If not, than the corrections are for Version 2. Either way, Version 1 is fine.

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Contiknitter,
What do you make of the corrections that Cookworm posted?

Debbie...did you figure out the pattern yet?
Thanks,
Merry :)

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I'll have to look at Version 2, but I really don't think Version 1 needs any corrections. If it did, they've already been changed. Let me study them, and I'll get back to ya'.

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:16 PM
The corrections are for Version 1. Don't I feel dumb? I must have just read my knitting, though, because mine is turning out fine. I would just do either one, and incorporate the corrections, if needed.

snowbear
04-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I want to make this but I'm afraid I'll screw it up.. Itis so pretty I'd throw it across the room if it didn't come out right.

hmmmmm should I try it or just go back to baby blankets..

Decisions Decisions.... :wall:

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Definately Try it! We're always here if you need help!

snowbear
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
You guys rock... I'm looking at my stash and only have worsted weight... grrrrr now I have to make the calculations.. too late on a Sunday night...

I'll look at it tomorrow... I have so many pretty purples that this would look good in if I can get the ww towork...

Keep your fingers crossed for me... Maybe if I double them....

Any ideas?

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
It's fine if you use worsted weight. The pattern isn't dependant upon bulky. The gauge doesn't even significantly matter, because it's not a garment that has to fit.

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Snowbear...that's exactly what I was wondering...can I use a worsted weight yarn...I have one in mind...mainly because it's machine washable...I think my Mom would definitely need that...LOL! Would we have to double the yarn...I don't think I'd want to work with 2 strands at once on this pattern though.

What do you think Contiknitter? You must be some knitter...your work is beautiiful! I just love this shawl...my Mom would too!

Thanks,

snowbear
04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Contiknitter you are such an enabler & a dear... Big Bear Hugs Your way... I think I'm going to do it in shades of purple ww that I have left over from an afghan. I have about 5 shades of purple with at least 1 to 2 skeins of yarn of each... dark to light....

I have been wanting to do a project that is different... You are awesome! :muah: :hug:

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
No, you wouldn't have to double the yarn. That would be very confusing with all the double increases and decreases. Just so long as you get even remotely close to 4 stitches to the inch, whatever yarn is fine, because the pattern isn't dependant upon bulky weight, it's dependant upon gauge, and yarn with good stitch definition.

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Contiknitter you are such an enabler & a dear... Big Bear Hugs Your way...

Why, thank you! I've made some progress on mine:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr08269.jpg

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Cool! I'm going to this really cool yarn shop on Friday to buy some worsted weight yarn...so I'm going to pick something out for this shawl.

I noticed that it's not stated in the pattern how much yarn it takes? So, how much should I plan for?

Contiknitter, after row 30, the pattern says ot repeat rows 21-30 until desired length and width...so I can make it as big or as little as I need, right? Also, when do you do the Purl one row? After you've repeated those rows to desired length and width?

Thanks,

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I really can't say, because all yarn is in different amounts. I would say buy 2 more balls than you think you need.

You CAN make make it any size you want to, and you DO do the purl row after it is the size you need it.

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks Continknitter!
I'm finding out that it pays to ask lots of questions about reading patterns. I'm just learning how to follow them. I frogged my "My So Called Scarf" 4 times, before I figured out the pattern...LOL! But it's looking great now!

Snowbear...I love purple...are you going to use different shades in your shawl...that would be gorgeous! Now I want one...LOL!

Braden
04-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Well, you go out there, you buy the best yarn you can find, and you KNIT THAT SHAWL! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Contiknitter, I might just do that...LOL! Did you know there is a Candleflame Shawl from Knitpicks? It's a lace pattern...and now there's a candle flame scarf too!
http://www.knitpicks.com/Candle+Flame+Shawl_PD50465220.html

My problem is...that I'm a little too zealous as a new knitter...I ordered the shimmer yarn for that shawl, but when I tried to knit with #4 size needles, it was awful...I need a little more experience! It's beautiful too! I want to make that for my best friend for her Birthday in October!

The pattern is so beautiful and yours looks great! You are such a fast knitter!
Thanks,
Merry

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Practice makes perfect! I've never seen that one before. I would say this shawl goes considerably faster than lace knitting does.

merryknitter
04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
That's what I was thinking too...would be good practice for me...as I've never done some of those decreases before...I love learning new stitches..so cool how it all works out! I'll put the lace knitting on hold for a bit!

Can't wait till Friday!
Thanks,

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Be sure to post pics!

snowbear
04-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I have all this beautiful Patron's wool I'm using... I'm starting off with a dark purple, and have about 3 or 4 other shades I'm using... Depending on the size of course.

I think it will look good going from a dark to light.. and since dark is at the bottom.. hopefully it won't show dirt as bad.. ( ok... that is is.. I've become my Mother... oh gezzzzzzzzzzzzlol :roflhard: )

But seriously,

Once I finish this one project.... *hopefully this week* I'm starting on this for me... maybe.... who know.. but I'm going to make it and someone will want it, lol

Bear Hugs... night all

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Shades of purple will look nice! A word of caution: make sure you knit each section of "leaves" in a single color. Otherwise, you won't be able to see the pattern.

DQ
04-09-2007, 06:49 AM
I want to try this but I don't get how to do the double increase :oops: You knit the stitch do a yarn over...and then it says k1 into the same stitch...which stitch?? :shrug:

meearnol
04-09-2007, 07:08 AM
I started making a sample of this last night, and modified the pattern just a bit to make a scarf instead of a shawl. I LOVE THIS PATTERN!!

DQ - I did this increase wrong for 4 whole sets of leaves and frogged. I was knitting into the front loop of the stitch, yarn over, then knitting into the back of the same stitch. :fingerwag: Here's what I'm doing now, and it looks much better. Knit into front loop of the stitch, yarn over, knit again into front loop of same stitch. You're creating 3 stitches on the next row from that one stitch. Hope that helps!

Happy knitting!

merryknitter
04-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Contiknitter,
If I use a Worsted Weight yarn, should I maybe use size #8 needles for my shawl? Does it matter?
Thanks,

Debbie
04-09-2007, 07:38 AM
I say .... KNIT ALONG ... I can not get the repeat to work!!! AND ... I can't get rows 29 & 30 to come out ... I always have 4 stitches left over on 29 .... I have tried stopping at 28 and then going to 19 ... now I think I should stop at 28 and go to 21 instead .. actually ... I think I am thinking to much!

I am trying really hard to learn to read my knitting ... it does not come naturally to me ...(clearing throat) like some people ... YEA Continentalknitter ... that is a true talent !!!!

SO ... if someone could follow the pattern stitch by stitch through all rows (be sure to correct 19 & 20) and HELP me figure out what I am doing wrong.

I am using worsted wt Main Line by Knit Picks ... size 10 needle ... I want a lighter weight shawl and more open fabric ... and it is beautiful ! So any yarn and needle will work ... and ... like contknitter says .. no gauge needed ! I LOVE the way the edges just turn in naturally and make the lovely flame!

I am off to take pictures and will post them in a bit.

Debbie
04-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Here are the pictures ... Knit Picks Main Line (75 cotton, 25 wool worsted weight) size 10 needle ...

If I had not frogged so many times, I might be caught up with Contiknitter :) I am learning a lot about reading my knitting and the actual flame pattern is very easy ... it is the whole ... go on and increase just the way you already did thing that is driving me CRAZY !!!!

And now ... No school today and I am grounded from knitting & computer for the rest of the day until my list of things to do is all marked off !!! I thought I was going to get a head start yesterday .... but instead enjoyed knitting and frogging and knitting and frogging...

Am I the only one ... frogging doesn't bother me that much ... I enjoy the process of knitting as much as the product!

Braden
04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Looks Great, Debbie! I posted a Knit Along in the Knit Along forum, if anyone's interested.

DQ
04-09-2007, 12:07 PM
DQ - I did this increase wrong for 4 whole sets of leaves and frogged. I was knitting into the front loop of the stitch, yarn over, then knitting into the back of the same stitch. :fingerwag: Here's what I'm doing now, and it looks much better. Knit into front loop of the stitch, yarn over, knit again into front loop of same stitch. You're creating 3 stitches on the next row from that one stitch. Hope that helps!

Happy knitting!

Ok, I think I've got that :?? I'll give it a try, thanks!

Debbie
04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks ck .... heading over there ... even though I am grounded from the computer ... I am .. um ...waiting for my lunch to get out of the microwave ????

GinnyG
04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I just ordered Lamb's Pride Bulkey in Victorian Pink from discoutnyarngirls.com for this.

VictoiseC
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Oh wow, that is just absolutely beautiful!!!! I happen to love pewter too. But I'm correct right in thinking this is a pretty heavy shawl, like major winter type shawl? It looks heavy and if it's bulky yarn it must be? Ohhhhh, hmmmm should I make this? hmmmmmmmm :??

victorian pink!! I have to go look at that...

Is this a hard pattern btw? (Ok, scratch this last question ContiK, I just went back and read your other posts on it.)

Braden
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
It's definately not a shawl that you could wear in Spring and Summer. I think it is a winter shawl, and in bulky wool, it is going to be really heavy and warm.

cookworm
04-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I want to make this for MYSELF - okay and for my mom, maybe.... :)

I'd like to make one for me, too. I always "test drive" new patterns that I like on myself--if they turn out okay (with mistakes abound in them, of course! :teehee: ), then I use my practice run experience on "nicer" versions for people that I know would like the same FO.

Conti, thanks for your vote of confidence. I got scared a bit when I saw that it was a 30 row repeat...geez, that calls for some attention span from me, doesn't it? :rofl: I was thinking it would go quickly because it's thicker yarn on bigger needles too, which is always a plus for me--I love instant gratification projects!

cookworm
04-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I posted pics on my blog, but here it is. It's going really well. I'm doing mine in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky in Pewter on #9 needles.

Oooooo....it's so pretty!!!!! :inlove:

Braden
04-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Cookworm! I've made some progress:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/ContiKnitter/Apr08269.jpg
(this is from yesterday, I've made much more progress, but I can't get a pic right now)

Abbily
04-09-2007, 02:58 PM
So, if I were going to order the Lamb's Pride bulky online, does anyone have a guess about how much I should order? I am so new at knitting that I just have NO idea how to guess how much to get! :P

Thanks!

cookworm
04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Cookworm! I've made some progress:
(this is from yesterday, I've made much more progress, but I can't get a pic right now)

Conti--you knit fast!!! You'll have this done in no time!!! :happydance: I wish I could get some more yarn KAL with everybody, but I'll have to wait. :verysad:

Debbie, yours is really pretty too...blue is my favorite color!

Abbily, unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a way to know how much you'd need because the patterns don't list a finished dimension size or an amount of yarn they used to achieve a certain size. The recommended yarn in the first pattern was Lamb's Pride bulky. If it helps to know, it comes in 125 yard (114m?) skeins. If you wanted to sub yarn, I think the gauge for the yarn is 6 sts = 2" on size 10 (6.5mm) needles (85% wool and 15% mohair, one ply yarn). It might take 4 or 5 skeins, depending on how big you wanted it, but again, I'm not so sure there's a way to know for sure in advance. :shrug:

To make a comparison, Conti is using the WOTA bulky on size 9 needles. WOTA bulky comes in 137 yard (125m?) skeins, and the gauge is 6-7.5 stitches = 2" on size 10-11 (6-8mm) needles, so the yarns seem comparable to me gauge-wise (although you get more yardage per skein with the WOTA bulky).

Conti, would you mind keeping us updated on how much yarn you use and the finished dimensions of the shawl please? It bugs me that neither pattern lists any type of starting point to go from with regards to finished size and yardage needed. It will give us an approximation of how much yarn we would need to make a shawl the same size as yours, adjusting the yardage needed if somebody wanted to make a smaller or larger size.

Abbily
04-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Cookworm, thanks :)

Contiknitter- holy cow, yours looks absolutely stunning, and I can't believe how quickly you've knit it up! If you could tell me how many yards of yarn you've used so far (approximately, of course!) and how big your shawl is, that might give me some idea of how much to order.... I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, but don't want to order too little either... :P

Braden
04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm using 5 hanks, and I know I'll have enough to get the size I want.

Abbily
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm using 5 hanks, and I know I'll have enough to get the size I want.

Thanks!! Ok, I ordered 5 hanks of Lamb's Pride bulky in Victorian Pink... and now that I'm typing that, I remember that you're using WOTA! Oh well... I guess it will just be 5 hanks big! :P

Braden
04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm sure 5 hanks will be enough.

merryknitter
04-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Hey Contiknitter!
Are you using Lifelines in your shawl? I don't see any...I love lifelines...it's so easy to make a mistake and not know how to fix it...that is for me...LOL!

Is the pattern easy enough to memorize? You know, once you knit those candleflames? I probably would be glued to the pattern...LOL!

Are you making your shawl big enough to hang down from the shoulder?

3 more days and I'm off to the Yarn Shop!

Thanks,

snowbear
04-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Conti Knitter...

I :notworthy: bow in your presence. You are so self assured... me... I long for that ability yet. I do lif lines.. and never know for sure if there is enough yarn to do a project... you are awesome.