PDA

View Full Version : My Booga SHRUNK !

vaknitter
04-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I used Patons SWS to make a Booga for a friend and the bag SHRUNK, it is about 4"long, 6" tall, 2" wide. :pout: My husband (I think he was trying to make me feel better) said I could use it as a change purse inside my other booga !

I was making this one as a gift for a friend and she was expecting me to mail it to her on Monday. To make it even worse she e-mailed me this morning to say how excited she is and can't wait for it to arrive.

I am not completely lazy, I made the handle and felted that first - it did not shrink as my booga did.....

Any better yarn suggestions? I don't really like the colors in Noro my LYS carries, too much pink.

Angelia
04-08-2007, 09:00 AM
The dimensions given on the pattern are 4.5 X 7.5 X 8.5, so it is a small bag; yours is considerably smaller, though. :pout:

One of the problems with using a yarn other than the one specified in the pattern is that it likely will felt differently. Here's how to ensure that extra shrinkage doesn't surprise you:

When you knit the next one, since you don't like Noro, make sure to get extra yarn. Knit a gauge swatch (about 6x6 inches using the 10.5 needles specified in the pattern), measure it for accuracy, felt it, then measure it again. That way you know how to alter the pattern to get the size bag you want.

I've experienced felting mishaps because of using yarns that felt differently, so I feel your pain! :hug:

Debbie
04-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Oh man ... how disappointing for both of you.

Was this your first felting project? Did you know it was supposed to shrink ... and it just shrunk to much?

How large was your bag before felting? It should have been really HUGE ... the pattern does not say what the before measurements should have been ...and would be a lot taller than wide as your knitting will shrink more in length than width... your finished dimentions seem in proportion.

I have used Patons SWS on two projects and it felted just right. My washing machine felts things very quickly so I have to check my projects often. I have my share of oops .. too small ... if a project is unusable for what it was supposed to be ... I cut "embellishements" out of felted pieces to use on other projects ... flowers, shapes, etc . These pieces can be needle felted onto projects that turn out right !!!

You could cut out a purse shape ... put a magnet or bar pin on the back and send it to your friend with the promise of the REAL thing soon.

Andrea
04-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I made felted mittens out of SWS and they felted FAST and I ended up giving them to my older sister who has little hands! :teehee:

If you like self striping yarn, you could always look at some possibilities at Knit Picks...or maybe some plain WOTA and do rows of stripes?

It's such a downer when you work hard at something and it doesn't turn out how you wanted. Felting is definitely a hit or miss thing.

:hug:

Mommy22alyns
04-08-2007, 11:32 AM
So you have to be really careful with SWS on the Booga bag? I was going to use SWS when I finally got up the nerve to do one.

Ginger0104
04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm using Patons SWS for my Booga. Now I'm worried :pout:

I cast on twice the number of stitches, knit for 51 rows, and am now working in the round. I think the regular suggestion is 64 rows? I plan on doubling that. I'll post pics when I'm finished.

Green Eyed Knitter
04-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I have noticed that SWS seems to felt quite quickly and shrinks up more than other yarns I have used. I left my last SWS bag in the washer too long without checking on it and it came out quite a bit smaller than I had hoped. :doh: It's cute, but tiny.

Gail

SabrinaJL
04-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I used Patons SWS for my Booga and it turned out pretty close to the dimensions in the pattern. It was about half an inch off. I was checking it in 5 minute intervals and it took about 10 minutes to felt completely.

Sanibelle
04-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I really feel for you....

I made a whole bunch of booga bags using Noro Kuryeon and they all turned out great. I needed to make one more so I went to my LYS that just opened. She did not carry Noro and suggested another yarn that she thought was similar. So I made a booga bag out of it and felted it and had the same thing happen - it was so small after I took it out of the washer. I wound up giving it top my 8 year old neice to use to cary her camera I gave her. I was so dissapointed. I have felted with a number of yarns and never had that happen before.

I guess you live and learn and I won't let anyone talk me into a yarn when I wnat something else.

Lynn

vaknitter
04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I have felted other projects including a Booga bag and none of them have felted this quickly. I literally put it in the washer, ran upstairs to set the table for dinner and when I went back down it was TINY. I am going to put handles on and offer it to my friend. If she wants a small bag this is great. If she wants a larger one I will try again with new yarn.

Ginger - I love the colors of Patons and it felts really nice (not to hairy), and I think you are smart for casting on more stitches.

I think I am going to start a french market bag with some feltable scraps I just bought off the swap page and think about how to next go about the booga.

Jill A.
04-08-2007, 06:11 PM
When I felt bags with Patons, I have have my husband standing by, and also a box covered with plastic ready. As soon as the bag is felted enough, I rush it into the sink to rinse it, then my husband helps me stretch it over the box. It takes both of us tugging to get it over the box, but stretching it adds to the finished size, and gives it nice crisp corners.
Good luck!

ecb
04-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I made a free form bag with LONG handles (over 6' each)
the body of the bag was big enough that if it had sheeve holes it could have been a Vest for my daughter
I washed it on the mini setting (no rinse cycle) and it was TINY, I streached it out and it still ony fits 2 apples (or my Digital Camera)
4 skeins of SWS
the andles are still almost 4' long, but the bag is a LOT smaller than expected

ecb

Braden
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Ouch, I feel your pain.

nonny2t
04-10-2007, 05:58 AM
I am so sorry! I did my very first felting project for a Christmas present last year in SWS and the bag came out the size a tween might like. Paton's SWS felts really really fast so those of you who want to use it, BEWARE! The colors are beautiful, but you have to stand at the washer and check it in about 15 second intervals, no lie!

auburnchick
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Very good information!