PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Need help finding a dress!

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I am really not good at dresses, or anything. I don't like them, but...I'm on a diet and remembered that my dad is getting married soon. So,...I need a dress to wear.

I'd prefer one with sleeves, or one that had a back, or one that didn't show off my horrible legs, but...I don't suppose I'd be allowed to go dressed as a nun.
So, I have found two..but I am still open to suggestions. xD I encourage them.

http://www.windsorstore.com/images/products/1_51604_FS.jpg

http://www.windsorstore.com/images/products/1_54663_FS.jpg

P.S. Amy looks fantastic on the front page, don't you think? I've not been here in a bit, so..it's probably not as new.

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Also, maybe a really long one would be cool?
Maybe I could get away with wearing tennis shoes?

Stiney
04-09-2007, 01:30 PM
No!!! You can't wear sneakers to a wedding, someone will notice.

I think both dresses are really cute, but I'm very boobilicious so I tend to avoid strapless dresses, so I vote for dress 2.

You can get away with a long dress, but where is the wedding, and when and how hot will it be?

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I have boobs too. xD and thought about the problem of a strapless dress.

It's going to be in North Carolina, but I'm not sure if it's going to be inside or outside.

I was thinking of having a short sleeved dress and then buying or making a.. shoulder wrap sort of thing. In case it is cold, then, not using it if it's not.

I should actually talk to my dad about some of this first. xD All I know is that, it's going to happen. Here, in Nc. and. I have to go.

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 01:49 PM
You'd think a 15 year old might be better than this. xD

dink
04-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I think I like the 2nd one. The first is definately cute, but the 2nd I like a little more!

Where are you looking? Are you wanting to buy from a store or online?

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Either works.
I like looking online though, so maybe from a store, just browse what they have online first?

There's two local dress stores downtown, but they're very small and more like prom dresses and bridal gowns and I'm trying to find something more casual.

bobi1218
04-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Ooooh, I luurrrve the first one! It is so cute! If you're worried about it being strapless, make the Anthropologie capelet (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62184.0) to go over it.

If the wedding isn't going to be too formal, you could probably get away with a long skirt and cute top, and flats. It completely depends on where (beach vs. country club), when and what time (afternoon will be more casual, evening more formal). But that first dress is adorable.

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks. =]

Silly question, but uhmm. How do people wear bras with these kinds of dresses? D:

Kaydee
04-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I think both are super cute but I'd probably go with the 2nd one, it looks more weddingy to me. You could wear some cute flats with either and still make it dressy.

Stonington
04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
I just went through this lol. I like the first one :heart: ... you would be able to find a wrap to go over it! I bought 2 wraps at David's bridal last Friday-one for me and one for DD to wear over her wedding gown when she leaves the church to go to the reception. Good luck and have fun! :hug:

anne

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the input. =]

I also like this dress

http://www.rampage.com/images/items/eveningdresses/full/2007-1/ARAI40104FRONTM.jpg

bobi1218
04-09-2007, 02:11 PM
If you go to the lingerie dept of a department store, the salespeople there will be able to help you find a bra that will work under the dress. A strapless bra will work under the first dress, and a regular bra may be ok under the second, depending on what the back looks like.

HollyP
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks. =]

Silly question, but uhmm. How do people wear bras with these kinds of dresses? D:

Strapless bra or convertible are amazing for these kind of dresses. Convertible bras allow you to adjust the straps all sorts of ways to accommodate your dress. If you are going to get a dress with straps I would get a convertible bra. I just prefer to have straps over feeling like my bra is slipping all night :teehee: Just make sure you get one the really fits well. My SIL would go bra less but she is not well endowed at all.

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I've never wore a strapless bra. o.o Are they comfortable?

On the third dress, I forgot. Someone told me I should wear a colour no where near white. Because...the bride is wearing white.

dink
04-09-2007, 02:17 PM

They can be, and they can't be. Go to a department store, and try some on, and if you have your dress, bring it with, try it on with the dress, and see what feels most comfortable to you! :hug:

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 02:26 PM
=] Thanks you guys.

Stiney
04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I had to buy a super special bra for my prom dress, because it had spaghetti straps, and a low back with laces across the back.

So I had to get something that went around my waist below the dress back (I think I safety-pinned it to the back of the dress to be sure it wouldn't move) that came all the way up my torso. I just had a regular strapless bra for my junior prom dress, because it had a regular back with spaghetti straps.

letah75
04-09-2007, 03:16 PM

They can be, and they can't be. Go to a department store, and try some on, and if you have your dress, bring it with, try it on with the dress, and see what feels most comfortable to you! :hug:

My personal experience if you have an excess in the boobage area they really don't work well at all. Strapless bras work well up to a certian cup size, then after that, they really aren't that good.

Depends on how boobalicious you are. I would sugest going to a store that specializes in bras, not a department store if you are a size D or larger. I wore a strapless to my Junior Prom (a while ago :teehee: ), I was smaller then. But I went to a store specifically for that, and I'm glad I did.

Abbily
04-09-2007, 03:30 PM
If you have a Nordstrom near you, they have professional bra fitters there. I love the last dress you posted, but I was going to mention the color thing- it's considered rude to wear white since it "detracts" from the bride. I love the 2nd dress on your first post, too!

BostonBecca
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Will also measure you and fit you.

Stiney
04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
And whether you go to a department store or a specialty bra store, bring the dress with you! Yes, you have to buy the dress first.

(I recommend bringing the dress for shoe shopping, too, depending on how much they need to match.)

NakedPancakes
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Uh. I am bigger than a D. D:
Thanks for all the tips you guys. It's really helpful.

Uhm. I've heard of Nordstrom, but..I'm not sure. I'll check into it.

madametj
04-09-2007, 09:23 PM
i like this one: http://www.beautifullymodest.com/formal.html?Iit=462&Ict=133

madametj
04-09-2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.beautifullymodest.com/sale_dresses.html?Iit=19&Ict=143

this one is also very nice. it look better in red which was shown on another page.

brokenblossoms
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I really like the blue one with the polka dots, but it's too immodest for my tastes. Maybe you could make a little white shrug to go over it?

NakedPancakes
04-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah, if I do get a strapless dress, I'll have something to go with/over it. xD

Thanks Madametj for the suggestions. They're a bit too pricey though. xD I ish poor.
They do have really nice dresses though. =]

msoebel
04-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I like the dresses madametj suggested...simply because at weddings, it is hard to look really "nice" if you are large chested and hanging out of your dress (and a D cup will be hanging out of those dresses...not enough material). While all of those dresses are beautiful, I think you will end up being distracted most of the evening by your, um, assets, attempting to slip out from the bra, or out of the v-necks, or popping out from the strapless dress. Even if her dresses are out of your price range, you might want to consider something a little more covered up. You want to come across as sophisticated and elegant...perhaps a bit older?

I would suggest a ball skirt and a DRESSY t-shirt (the kind that are meant to be worn under cardigans, suits, etc...not the athletic kind!). If you wore that, you could easily get away with cute flats (ballet slippers) or sandals. It's cute and young and fresh...but still elegant and simple. People will be looking at you because you are so pretty, and not becaus you are distracting. You could also find someting appropriate if you went into JCPenneys (every town has one of those!) and went back to their adult dress selection.

If you can avoid dresses that require strapless bras, do so. I am very small chested (a full A) and they don't stay on girls my size either. They just aren't comfortable or secure, and they cost a fortune to get a decent one.

Misty