PDA

View Full Version : Knitters Gallery

rebecca
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey Ya'll :waving:
Some of you know that I started a Knitters Gallery on my blogs to showcase the FOs of some knitters who were nice enough to choose to knit one of my designs.
Well, the design that I had the longest,
#1. This one (http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/2006/06/knitters-gallery.html) seems to be too wordy and not neat enough, it's also sometimes difficult to update because of it's placement on the blog (don't pay attention to the date, I back-dated this post so that it wouldn't be easily seen).
#2. This one (http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/2000/12/knitters-gallery.html) is more streamlined, but you still get the blog heading and all of the sidebar info.
#3. This Gallery (http://home.comcast.net/~whimsicalknitting/knittersgallery.html) is now in the sidebar and doesn't have the blog header, etc and will take you to the knitters blog (if he/she has one) when you click on a photo...my fave so far.
But, I need to know what you think, please.
Don't get me wrong, I know I'm nothing like Grumperina or Knit and Tonic and those other knitters who have a big following and a lot of people knitting their patterns..BUT...I do have some people who like my designs and I feel it's the least that I can do by showcasing their work in a Knitters Gallery just for them!

letah75
04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
ohhh, where did you get your percentage "bars"?

rebecca
04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Don't you love them?! I had tried and tried countless times to install them last year and i happened upon a new blogger's forum, Bloggers Paradise (http://bloggersparadise.myfreeforum.org/about19.html&highlight=&sid=de41f828801488f63568afa2363ff2fe) and it walked me right thru it....the key is that you have all of the photos (that are to be filled) stored in the same album!
let me know if this helps you, if not maybe I can.

sara_jayne
04-10-2007, 12:12 AM
I love the gallery on it's own page! :thumbsup:

You WILL be a knitting godess like those you mentioned, you are just a step behind, but MORE fabulous than those ladies because you are here on KH! :muah:

rebecca
04-10-2007, 02:44 AM
OMGoodness, SJ, you really can make a girl's head swell, LOL! Thanks for saying such nice things!
Okay, i'm double checking with you, SJ, you know me, it must be crystal clear...you like the page that stands alone without a blog? That's my fave, too, but since I'm not the "reader" I wanted to ask others.
KH ROCKS!

kristinw
04-10-2007, 07:56 AM
I like #2 :thumbsup:

sara_jayne
04-10-2007, 09:25 AM
OMGoodness, SJ, you really can make a girl's head swell, LOL! Thanks for saying such nice things!
Okay, i'm double checking with you, SJ, you know me, it must be crystal clear...you like the page that stands alone without a blog? That's my fave, too, but since I'm not the "reader" I wanted to ask others.
KH ROCKS!

Yup, I like the page that stands alone with out the blog! :thumbsup:

KH Does rock! :cheering:

rebecca
04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks, ya'll, I'm leaning toward the one that stands alone, too. As a matter of fact, I'm about to go post another photo in the Gallery right now!

hey, keep voting, please, I would like to know what everyone thinks!

rebecca
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your input. I kept both 1 and 3...should anyone choose to look at just the photos (and blogs) of the knitters, then they have that choice and should anyone want to read the chattier version that is available, too...it also allows me to keep a better diary of the person and what he/she knit and when.
LOL, who ever would have thought :shrug: that last year when I was saying that I wasn't going to blog that I would be doing it to this degree?!

feministmama
04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
So have you ever had anyone ask for yer permission to sell anything made from yer designs? For charity or otherwise? I love all the touch of whimsey hats, scarves, socks, and whatever else you got going there and I could have *SWORN* I saw someone wearing a TOW hat the other day. I asked her asn she said no she didn't make it, she bought it at a craft fair. :??

Inis
04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I vote for #2.

rebecca
04-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Femi, I actually had an issue with that when I saw a BORN TO KNIT cloth for sale in an Etsy shop a few days ago and told the girl that while I love to offer my designs for free, that it's stated that they are for personal, nonprofit use and she understood. It's like I told her, I (as well as other designers who offer free patterns) are more than happy to offer them free to the knitter, but not for others to make $ on the projects unless it's for a charity, etc and then only if permission is asked! Looks like I'm going to have to go in and update all of the patterns again to put a more decisive statement on them other than the copyright (which is rather gray in the design world) and "for personal, nonprofit use"....that really kind of ticks me off. I would hate to yank my patterns, but the more I hear about this (I've also been told that my designs are being stolen and others have taken credit for them) the angrier I get. I love to knit, I LOVE to share my designs with others, but geez, can't people read?! Or have the common decency to email and ask about selling the FOs!
Sorry, I'll step off of my soapbox now and get geared up to reword the patterns yet again!!
Thanks for the heads up, Femi.

nadja la claire
04-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I like #2. I like the look of the page, it's definitely less cumbersome than #1 and #3 is too stark.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx