PDA

View Full Version : Glass needles anyone ever try?

temergency
04-10-2007, 06:29 AM
I've been looking at some beautiful glass needles as I'm starting a collection of unique usable needles (straights) but wonder how they would work for knitting? Has anyone tried them? Pros, cons?

Thanks! :shrug:

Ronda
04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
I've wanted to buy those just to look at them! :teehee: I'd be curious to hear what it's like to work with them, too.

SandraEllen
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I haven't ever tried knitting with them before (i love my interchangeables), but have you seen the needles by Namaste needles (http://www.namasteneedles.com/products/needles.php)? :thud:

Miss Moosey
04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
I think I'd be scared to death of shattering them by knitting too tightly! :oops:

kemp
04-10-2007, 10:04 AM
The Namaste needles are very sturdy. It would take quite a bit to break them and they are VERY pretty. I've had quite a few people order them and no complaints.

msoebel
04-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been begging dh for some from Namaste for my birthday. They are beautiful and pretty and I want them! I would imagine that unless you throw them or drop them, they would last fine...And the glass would knit so beautifully, I would imagine...so smooth and warm. And it would feel "softer" than my aluminum needles.

Also, I have been eyeing these needles: http://www.shopknitch.com.

Not glass, but they are certainly unique and pretty. Love the wood choices!

Misty

XbelovedXoneX
04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I've knit with the Namaste needles and didn't like them for functional purposes. They were quite pretty to look at tho! The glass needles are just too heavy for me. Also, the feeling they have when they slide against each other is like nails on a chalkboard to me! :shrug:

hellokitty165
04-10-2007, 01:26 PM
i bought the mini glass knitting needle.in switzerland ..one end is a red heart... very nice and it knit cotton yarn smoothly ! i love it

cando
04-10-2007, 03:13 PM
What a coincidence!
I was just eyeing glass needles yesterday and thinking how pretty they are. But so expensive. If they're not functional then that makes it all the more a difficult buy.. but so pretty *sigh*

Fraggle
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
For those that have used them, how does the yarn feel sliding against them?

MMK
04-10-2007, 06:26 PM
[quote="msoebel I would imagine that unless you throw them or drop them, they would last fine.
Misty[/quote]

Well, that lets me out. I either throw or drop my needles several times during each project. :teehee:

BinkyKat
04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I have a few pairs of glass needles.. they're actually made of pyrex so they're pretty sturdy, but not to throwing. I have used them only a few times and they are quite slippery, but are functional. I bought them more for collecting but they are very usable.
That's my 2 cents :happydance: