PDA

View Full Version : guage question

ChrissyB
04-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey everyone. I am about to embark on my first ever sweater, done with yarn from my swap partner, yipee. :cheering: I am hoping someone can answear a question for me. The guage listed is 20 stitches and 32 rows over 4 inches. The guage I get from my swatch is 20 stitches and 28-29 rows over 4 inches. I always find my stitches match guage but not my rows. The sweater is a knit in the round raglan pullover, the pattern measures in inches long, not rows worked. If I up my needle size my stitch count will change and affect the width of the sweater. What should I do? :shrug:
Thanks in advance for any help :muah:

MaryS
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Don't change your needle size! If your stitch gauge is correct, then use that needle size and just knit enough rows to get you to the correct number of inches.

Have fun and HAPPY FIRST SWEATER :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Mary

Braden
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I don't ever worry about Row Gauge, I just always get my stitch gauge correct. To me, row gauge isn't really that important, because you just knit the number of inches in the pattern.

ChrissyB
04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much :hug: :hug: That was what I figured, but I didn't want to chance ruining my first attempt at a sweater with my yummy swap yarn!! Wish me luck!! this is the pattern I am doint, by the way
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTbadpenny.html
I am using the plymouth suri alpaca I got in 2 different colors, I can't wait!

dink
04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
That's a really cute sweater! :inlove:

Good luck, and make sure to take some pictures along the way. :X: