PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!!!!!

Paws4Knitting
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
I know I am new and this will probably take some time, but I am so flustered with getting the right tension as I knit.

I am trying practice runs with the different stitches and I feel like I'll never get this. I know you have all had some rather large projects you have worked on, but for me, I feel so jealous of the people who get this easily. :notworthy:

Any suggestions or tales from when you first started that will help me get over my frustration....

Cheers! :frog:

wildflower38
04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
I've been knitting since October 2006. I practiced my stitches by knitting dishclothes. There's a great yahoo group that has 2 monthly dishcloth knit alongs. Andi hosts the group and everyone is nice and helpful. Here's a link to the blog and you'll find a link to the yahoo group there.
http://monthlydishclothkal.blogspot.com/

Mulderknitter
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I've been knitting for about 2 yrs now, and still have different tension problems. I've noticed a big difference in tension between the yarns that I'm using. Some yarn allows you to pull tighter than other more fragile yarn, so that causes a problem for me.

Jan in CA
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
It does just take practice. Others may have differing opinions, but I usually suggest just make rows and rows of garter stitch (knit only both sides), then practice stockinette (knit a row, purl a row). Those are the foundation stitches for all knitting so getting them down will help in the long run. Just my opinion though.

nadja la claire
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
You think people get knitting easily? HAH! We all go through what you're going through. It takes time. Thanks to Amy I learned how to BO 3 weeks after I 1st CO and it took me 6 months to learn how to purl, just because it was so awkward for me. I still get frustrated sometimes, like when I'm trying to do a heel.

Be patient, you'll get it.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Braden
04-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Just practice, and look at books and websites. It's taken me 5 years to get where I am today. You'll get it at some point!

uplate6674
04-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Practice, practice, practice. It's will come in time!

suzeeq
04-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Like the others said, it takes practice; I doubt it came easily to any of us in the beginning.

Try a sampler. CO 24 stitches, work several inches in garter stitch, first by knitting every row, then purling every row. Then switch to stockinette - knit a row, purl a row. You can try some increases and decreases on the edges for a bit. After than do ribbing - try k4, p4 for a couple inches, then k3, p3, then k2, p2 and finally k1,p1. I think if you start the rib section with wide ribs, there's an easy transition from stockinette to the ribs and by the time you get to 1x1, it won't be as frustrating as if you started from there. Then you can try seed/moss stitch and/or any others you'd like to try. Don't worry if you make a mistake, keep going instead of ripping it out. Bind off and you have a nice wall hanging. Or you can rip it out and start over....

sue

SandraEllen
04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
For me, it help to finally find a consistent way to hold my yarn.

and practice.

if you're still a new knitter, you might be trying to knit too tightly. Check out this (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/FEATloosenup.html) article.

Sanibelle
04-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I agre with the previous posters that knitting takes a lot of practice. I think most new knitters have a tendency to knit really tight. Everyone that I have taught tends to do this until they really feel comfortable with knitting. As they begin to relax, the tension will eventually loosen up.

Good luck - it does get easier!

Lynn

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
something else that you could try, along with practicepracticepractice, is switching needles... not sizes, but material. You might be able to get an even tension with metal, bamboo, casesin, platic, wood, etc. I have tension problems knitting with metal needles, so I use my denise set and addi naturas almost exclusively.

samm
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I've been reading about tension this week, because after about fifty years of being able to knit, I still sometimes have tension troubles. :pout: yuck. I did discover that I sometimes don't hold my yarn properly, and making sure I do that has helped a lot. I was kinda letting it slide along when my hands were tired. Weird. So now I hold it wound in my hand as I should, and that has helped a lot. I find cottons harder to keep my tension even, too. It doesn't give like the other yarns do. I also was reading that some people have different tensions between their knit stitches and their purls! Hadn't thought of that. I think it takes practice, for sure, and I believe you'll be fine eventually. Knitting is an art, and our finished pieces should look hand knitted. We are not machines!!!! Thank goodness. Keep on knitting! It'll work out. samm