PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Knitting Nurses!!

kindermen
04-10-2007, 10:28 PM
After my post yesterday about knitting in seminars I received several responses from fellow nurses. I thought it would be fun to hear from other nurses and what area you work in. I have been a nurse for 23yrs and I work in the neonatal intensive care and knitting helps keep me sane!!!!!
Hope to hear from you'all!!!!! Thanks!!!

cindyln
04-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I too have been a nurse for 23 years. I am a RN on a busy LDRP. Today I had a out of control labor patient bite me on the right hand requiring 5 stitches on my right index finger. The first thought through my head....THATS MY KNITTING HAND!!!!. Well took the bandage off after getting home from my shift,which I finished, took up my needles and thankfully was able to knit without a problem.. I was worried. I always have a sock project at work with me for breaks and lunch.

dakatzmeow
04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
she BIT you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man, i was an out-of-control labor patient, but i certainly never bit a nurse! i just begged for a c-section. :oops:

i am a tele nurse. i graduated dec 05 and have been working since jan 06. knitting and soaping keep me sane. :muah:

Jeremy
04-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I was a cardiac nurse for nine years before I went into law.

dakatzmeow
04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
back to your stitches......are you on antibiotics? bites can get really nasty. *pats her on the back*

tilllie
04-10-2007, 11:32 PM
I started knitting when I was about 12...Got my LPN in 1972 ( yep), my RN in 1982 and currently work on a Med/surg/Peds unit....

Wrennn
04-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Have worked Med-surg most of the time. The last 6 years worked Oncology. On a sabbatical of sorts right now, I do miss it at times. Took knitting up a few years ago & am hooked! :happydance:

Lisa1216
04-11-2007, 08:44 AM
I worked as an RN for 15 years. Graduated in 1985 and worked GYN/Oncology for a year and then Labor & Delivery for 6 years. Took a job in a GYN office after that as a staff nurse, then nurse manager. In 2000 my dad retired from construction and my husband (who worked with him) and I bought out the business. Now we run a commercial construction company, with me doing the accounting, billing and payroll. I miss some parts of my nursing career, but not others. I miss L&D and some of the patients I became close with at the office. I was thrilled when my sister asked me to be with her and her husband when she delivered her 2 kids. :heart: I miss L&D the most, but I don't miss the switching between the day and night shifts.

diane21
04-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm retired now and work casual when I want. I worked 37 years in a country Hospital where we had anything walk in the door. I used to do alot of my knitting on nights. I find I don't get as much knitting done now as I have a large yard to look after .

newamy
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
I have been an RN for 17 years. Since I had kids I've always worked part time. My current position is Home Health. So I encounter lots of wound care, elders living alone, people with low incomes, do lots of teaching. I have to drive a lot. But one really nice thing is I can have important conversations with patients and not get interuppted. No call lights and rarely phone interuption. There is a lot of autonomy. A draw back is that HH has lots of paperwork, well now days it's computer work but it's still a form to fill out.

I've only been knitting for a little over a year. I don't take my knitting to work, I just talk about it too much. Some of my co-workers and I have now started a small knitting group. I'm hoping it keeps going.

cindyln
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
back to your stitches......are you on antibiotics? bites can get really nasty. *pats her on the back*

yep on antibiotics and a tetanus shot which hurts worse than the finger. I just can't believe the Occ Health doctor said I could go back to work. My hand was bandaged up. No checking cervix, starting Iv's even writing was funny but I did finish my shift.

Lisa1216
04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Today I had a out of control labor patient bite me on the right hand requiring 5 stitches on my right index finger.

I've never been bit, but definitely have had my share of scratches and bruises from patients in active labor. Hope your hand heals fast! :hug:

ChrissyB
04-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi fellow nurses. I have been an RN for 7 years, right now i work perdiem (full time mommy!) On a busy med/surg, orthopedics, gyn, and neurosurgery floor. Although I am thinking about trying maternity. The floor I work on is very physically demanding, a lot of very heavy patients, and I have already had to have surgery for a herniated disc in my back (at 28 years old!). I already have degenerative disc disease, geesh gotta love nursing, lol. Knitting is definatly a sanity saver, both from work and from life with a 2 year old, :teehee:

aineepooh1
04-11-2007, 12:32 PM
I am an LPN for 9 yrs now. I work in geriatrics and it's ok.~

GinnyG
04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
She bit you???? OH MY!!!!!! I had a patient break my nose once, I was passing an NG tube and he came up swinging :passedout:

I've been an RN for 25 ummmmmmm make that 27 years ALL THAT TIME in Cardiac. I started as a Cardiac Step Down Nurse for 5 years, then spent 15 years as a Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse and the last 7 years I have run a Cardiac Rehab program. I'm also a volunteer EMT for two different squads and I LOVE nursing!!

But I must admit that Mothers in Labor SCARE ME, I'd MUCH rather handle a CODE than a woman in labor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And ChrissyB I know what you mean about the back, I've ruptured 2 discs over the years.

geekgolightly
04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
another RN checking in!

i started in neurotrauma and moved to stroke and then stroke research on the side, then cardiac step down, then a general tele floor and now am working ortho weekend work program. i like that its really a good mix of ortho and trauma and med/surg and the time and a half pay for SAT SUN work is very cushy.

when my son is older and doesn't need me so much, i want to go into NSICU or CVICU. i love both areas. i started out wanting to be a midwife. nursing is so flexible and i'm thankful for that.

geekgolightly
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
another RN checking in!

i started in neurotrauma and moved to stroke and then stroke research on the side, then cardiac step down, then a general tele floor and now am working ortho weekend work program. i like that its really a good mix of ortho and trauma and med/surg and the time and a half pay for SAT SUN work is very cushy.

when my son is older and doesn't need me so much, i want to go into NSICU or CVICU. i love both areas. i started out wanting to be a midwife. nursing is so flexible and i'm thankful for that.

dakatzmeow
04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
goodness, we're coming out of the woodwork! :cheering:

kindermen
04-11-2007, 10:44 PM
This is Great hearing from fellow nurses!!! Thanks for the response!!!!!!!!!1

DianaM
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
I'll hopefully be one someday ^^
Nice to know there's so many nursing knitters out there ^^

Fraggle
04-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Another Neonatal nurse here! I've been in nursing for a year and a half and love my tiny little preemies. Knitting certainly relaxes me from those stressful days when I get home!

ecb
04-13-2007, 09:32 AM
the last shift I had at a nursing home I was a Nights supervisor, one of my younger patients punched me across the face

Currently I am a Camp Nurse, I have lots of chaos, with long streaches of knitting in between

I love it, but since I M an only parent, I cannot really afford to do most nursing shifts and still have money left over to live (after paying childcare, and food expenses for the kids and me when we are not together)