PDA

View Full Version : Dying with Easter Egg dye

orcoastknitter
04-10-2007, 10:43 PM
I just bought about 15 egg dye kits, do you think it would work like Kool-Aid? I hope so otherwise I will have plenty of dye to last me a long time.

jeanius80
04-10-2007, 11:51 PM
http://simpleknits.blogspot.com/2007/03/dyeing-yarn-with-easter-egg-dye.html
http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/eggdye.htm
try these two. it should work great!

Julie
04-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Yup! Works like kool-aid -- you do need to be sure to add vinegar. :D

orcoastknitter
04-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

I knew it had to work just like Kool-Aid but I wasn't sure.

I basically bought the kits because they had blue dye in them, which is hard for me to find where I live.

I can't wait to get started. :cheering:

Dilly
04-11-2007, 06:06 AM
I bought 5 of the Paas kits yesterday while I was on my lunchbreak. My co-worker was with me and kept giving me the strangest looks. :hmm: He doesn't understand yarn or knitting. :pout:

I have some KP Bare yarn that I'll be dyeing sometime. I've dyed with kool-aid before, but I'm excited to try other dyes too. :cheering:

orcoastknitter
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I bought 5 of the Paas kits yesterday while I was on my lunchbreak. My co-worker was with me and kept giving me the strangest looks. :hmm: He doesn't understand yarn or knitting. :pout:

I bought mine at Target on Monday while I was with my mom. I had about 10 kits stacked in the cart when she came back from the restroom. She just smiled said... "Are you sure you have enough?" I just laughed. She isn't a knitter but she completely understands my love for knitting. One of the kits that I bought had 9 different colors in it, even brown! I have about 5 hanks of KP bare, I think I might do some this weekend. It might even become a gift for my swap buddy.

Jan in CA
04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Egg dye! What a great idea! They have the prettiest colors!! :cheering:

hellokitty165
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I DYE MY YARN WITH kool aid without adding vinegar....what will happen w/o the vinegar ????

orcoastknitter
04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
It should be fine.

Vinegar is optional.

lissalue
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
i want to try this. wonder if walmart has any kits left? :out:

Lieke
04-12-2007, 02:07 AM
you can dye with koolaid without the vinegar, because koolaid is already acidic. byt you'll defenitely need vinegar when you dye with easter egg dye.

hellokitty165
04-12-2007, 09:04 AM
pheeew ...thanks for the info...feel better now

nonny2t
04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
WOW! I don't know if anyone knows this secret or not, but putting vinegar in cold water then putting in new colored clothes and letting them soak for about an hour will set the colors so they don't run. I wonder if when using the little tablet easter egg dyes,because you use vinegar if that would help set your colors better. Bet it would!

nadja la claire
04-12-2007, 09:48 AM
WOW! I don't know if anyone knows this secret or not, but putting vinegar in cold water then putting in new colored clothes and letting them soak for about an hour will set the colors so they don't run. I wonder if when using the little tablet easter egg dyes,because you use vinegar if that would help set your colors better. Bet it would!

Thanks for that tip. I had no idea.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

brownishcoat
04-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Hobby Lobby has the Wilton products on sale for 40% off this week. I may have to stop in and pick up some of the cake dyes (for colored icing).

I wish there was something you could add to the dye to make it work on acrylic yarn. I'm having a horrible time finding some affordable superwash, sock-weight yarn. :pout:

Yarnlady
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
WOW! I don't know if anyone knows this secret or not, but putting vinegar in cold water then putting in new colored clothes and letting them soak for about an hour will set the colors so they don't run. That only works if the fabric is nylon, silk, or other animal fiber. Vinegar does not set cotton dyes. Salt will help some, but vinegar only sets protein based fiber dyes and nylon.

Angelia
04-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Here's another egg dye link--This (http://boogaj.typepad.com/) is Julie of Booga (yes, the Booga Bag Julie!).

I just used Wilton's paste last night. Helpful hint: boil the water to dissolve the paste! Mere hot water will not do. (Alas...wasted paste.)