PDA

View Full Version : OT: Weight Watchers

stacyk9
04-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Does anyone here do Weight Watchers? I have got to do something. I mean, seriously, I gained 3 1/2 pounds just over the weekend! It's getting ridiculous. I concede that I can't do this on my own and need help. I need alot of structure. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to which plan has worked for them or maybe someone is doing something other than Weight Watchers which has worked as well.

Thanks!

Stacy

Abbily
04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I have done WW and really liked it. I lost about 35lbs in 4 months... then I got pregnant and gained it all back. :( I think the decision about which plan to follow just depends on your personality and what will work best for you. If you plan to go to meetings, they will explain everything to you. I've never done the online plan, so I can't tell you anything about that.

bip
04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I did WW about 4 years ago and lost 35 lbs in about 6 months. I kept it off for about 2 years, then DH had a kidney transplant. He dropped down to 117 lbs and started eating a pound of chocolate a day to regain weight. Apparently I joined him, 'cause 6 months later we had BOTH gained 35 lbs. Argh.

I tried going back but I couldn't get into it. I am the kind of person who has to be in the right frame of mind to do anything, and I just haven't gotten my mind there yet...I really need to.

I say give it a shot. It is a little corny, kind of 12-step like, kind of culty - you kind of need to turn off your cornyness-sensor and drink the cool aid. I really had to check my sarcastic, cynical self at the door.

It is a very solid program and it really does work. It is probably the healthiest way to lose weight out there.

bellium
04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
i had a very good experience with weight watchers. i lost 85 pounds in a little over a year, and kept it off for 4 years. the nice thing about weight watchers is that it teaches you a lifestyle change, not a diet - going to the meetings where there are other people doing the same thing as you, and having someone else weigh you every week are both very motivating!

BarbRude
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I have been doing WW on line, I am doing the core program. So far it is working out fine, I am down 8 pounds in 3 weeks. But you do have to be in the right frame of mind to make it work. I work in a law office and there is food everywhere all the time, but I bring my breakfast and lunch and I stay away from the food (although free food is always hard to turn down) and vending machines. Good luck with anything you might try.

kashadilla
04-11-2007, 11:32 AM
yep! both my parents lost over 50 lbs each on it, and I'm on it now. I love it because you really can eat whatever you want, as long as you do it in moderation. and even if you go over your points, you can go for a 30 minute walk and gain a couple more points to cover it. As for corny, I don't think its corny at all. well, the meetings are a little bit, depending on the leader, but I've seen worse. Richard Simmons' Deal A Meal anyone?
My favorite thing about weight watchers is that you don't have to buy food from them if you don't want to. You can search for ww recipes online and find tons. I started cooking them for dinner and dh never even knew. My downfall is soda, and you can have all the diet soda you want! thats great. I don't have anything bad to say about WW I guess. Just keep up with tracking points if you're on the flex plan.

Kirochka
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
My mother and I have both done WW through the "At Home" kits - we've never joined online or in person, but both used the point system (which I think may have been revised since we got our versions) and both think it's a good plan. Myself, I lost about 20 pounds (caveat: I also was put on thyroid medication at the same time as I started WW), and have maintained the loss for a number of years now. I basically now count points for 4 days a week and don't count them for 3, and it seems to work.

traceleighj
04-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Stacy-

I have been doing WW at home since last September. I have lost 28 pounds so far and have lost a size and a half (I am teetering on the next smaller sice :happydance: ). DH and I started together but he has since dropped it, but I still cook for him like he is.

I feel much better, but I have been at a plateau- think I need to step up on the counting points! I only fluctuated up or down a pound over the holidays, so I think that was really good!

Good Luck!
Tracie

stacyk9
04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Thank you for all your great responses. It has really helped me make up my mind to do this.

Karen- What is the "At Home" kit?

Thanks again, everyone. I love hearing success stories.

Stacy

nonny2t
04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I have been on WW since Feb 3 and have lost 23 lbs so far. I love the program. It allows you to eat what you want and also helps you to learn to eat portions and do portion control. I wished I had started it a long long time ago. I am on the FLEx program . My husband started it with me and has lost 17 lbs in the same amount of time.

Faye

aineepooh1
04-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I have been going to WW since 2004~ lost 50 lbs gained 20 back (last year was just AWFUL~ my dad died last year and it just went downhill from there) but I am still going and I Truly believe if I had QUIT: I wold have gained 50+ lbs.. people who quit and come back tell us the same story over and over again ( so I never quit)
but WW is flexible b/c you can choose which plan you want to eat from, you buy real food from a real grocery store, and the meetings are a big help.. BTW: I think the 1st meeting is free right now.. go checkit out and see for yourself :cheering: ~

Kirochka
04-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Stacy, the "At Home" kit (information on WW's official website is here (http://www.weightwatchers.com/plan/hom/index.aspx)) provides you with materials to use the Weight Watchers program on your own, without meetings or online check-ins. It's cheaper in the long run, but it does require you to monitor yourself, without the help of other WW members or the official website - so it's not for everyone. (My mother and I keep each other "honest" by reporting our previous day's point usage to each other in e-mail messages every morning!)

It's changed somewhat since I got the kit - there used to be a calculator on which you could store your point totals as well as calculate them, and they seem to have changed that to one that just calculates it (plus it's only part of their "Deluxe" - read: more expensive - version). Another option is to check on eBay - people sell WW At Home products there too. (My mother's original calculator stopped working, and I've gotten her a new one on eBay.)

Hope this helps!

Vendie
04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I did WW online a couple of years ago and I was amazed at how much I was losing, even with eating at a very non-WW friendly Mexican restaurant once a week. It's a very healthy, reasonable way to lose weight, and gives you those options of going to the meetings if you need that extra push or strictly going on-line or at home.

I'm finally recognizing that I need to start up again, and I'll probably do the online version again, as it fits my schedule better.

Wrennn
04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Second time around with WWs, doing CORE this time. I wasn't in the right frame of mind the first time & gained back what I lost. This time it's going better b/c I want to make long term changes not just get the weight off. I'm also doing it with a friend who's just as serious.
It's coming off slower this time around, but I think it'll stay off longer b/c, hopefully, I'm changing bad habits.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :thumbsup:

hydeemarie
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
ok... so i have been on Weight watchers for about 6 weeks and lost 20+ already. The reason i am on weight watchers is because i am having gastric bypass in the fall and my insurance requires a min. of 6 months on a weight loss plan before they will cover for the surgery... so there is my 2 cents. lol

AmandaC
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
I did WW in the UK and I am a Gold Member :happydance:

:oops: I need to start back on the plan now though - I lapsed slightly (not too bad - but not good)

WW is a very good plan to follow.

aineepooh1
04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Does Gold Member mean the same thing as the US Lifetime member ( aka you reached your goal weight and maintained for 6 wks)?

butterflymama
04-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I lost 65 pounds with WW last year and reached goal. Now I am trying to lose another 10 or so pounds....basically just trying to lose the little baby belly I have left then I am done. I just did the online program. I love it. I really swear by WW, it stays with you forever...the points are in your head forever. LOL

Good luck!

Quiltlady
04-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I started WW at home about a month ago. I do like it because as others have said you can eat ANYTHING you want within your points but that means you cannot eat ALL that you want. You are limited but thats how I got heavy in the first place. It does help me learn what a normal portion looks like. Something I ignored for years. :cheering:

hydeemarie
04-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Does Gold Member mean the same thing as the US Lifetime member ( aka you reached your goal weight and maintained for 6 wks)?
almost positively!