PDA

View Full Version : OK: If you were gonna splurge on yarn~

aineepooh1
04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
OK.. tax refund is coming soon... I am thinking about splurging on an expensive/desinger/"nicer" yarn ~ I usually use acrlyic, I have tried DB alpaca silk :heart:, Pima Silk (cotton/silk blend) :heart: now I want to try a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmyarn (not necessarily mmmmalabrigo)

I think I definitely wanna try a handpainted/kettle dyed yarn and what else do you guys suggest???
does anyone have any good suggestions for mmmmyarns to try?

I welcome any and all suggestions~ :hug:
Ainee

Vendie
04-11-2007, 12:40 PM
All I've been buying lately is sock yarn, so I've forgotten what regular yarn feels like :teehee: But I do love the mmmmmmmalabrigo.

Alpaca yarn is always nice, though I don't know of any brands right off the top of my head. Maybe MistiAlpaca?

XbelovedXoneX
04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
2 of my favorites are mmmmalabrigo(especially their new laceweight!) and DB cashmerino aran

cando
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
How about some 100% baby alpaca such as Plymouth Suri Alpaca DK? I have a couple of lonely skeins and they are soooooft.

Or you could go ahead and try out the Malabrigo, the only 100% wool I've ever seen that soft (and also its online cousins).

Or... how about 100% extra fine merino? And superwash to boot. The one I know of is Karabella Aurora 8. Warning:I've never even seen this, I'm going by reviews and comments from others.

Or.. finally, this is your opportunity to try a new luxury blend. Wool/Silk, Merino/Baby Alpacao, Cashmere blends.

If you prefer warm weather alternatives then - Cascade Pima Tencel, Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, Valley Yarns Goshen.

Whew! That felt like shopping :)

ETA: I just saw you wanted kettle-dyed, most of what I mentioned are not. And I've been wanting to ask you - what did you make with the Pima silk?

aineepooh1
04-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I haven't made anything yet. I knited up a few rows for a swatch BUT my plans are for a tank top..
the stuff feels WONDEFUL to the fingers~ I can only imagine what it feels like to the skin.. my mom was over and i kept saying "touch this, touch this .. it feels ~ wonderful~" and she said "Yes, honey it' feels very nice' :doh:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Chel
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I like Noro Lilly. The colors are vibrant and lovely. I got some for my secret pal, but I had to give my stash a stern talking to because it wanted to keep it for itself. :fingerwag: I said nooooo stash. This is not for you. Its for my secret pal.

But I am going back to get some for me. :teehee:

syndactylus
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Blue Sky Alpaca has royal alpaca and brushed suri now ...
If I had nothing else to spend money on, I think I would pick one of those.
But I haven't seen them anywhere.
I like the lumpy yarn at kpixie too, but I wouldn't even know what to make out of it.

jeanius80
04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I like Noro Lilly. The colors are vibrant and lovely. I got some for my secret pal, but I had to give my stash a stern talking to because it wanted to keep it for itself. :fingerwag: I said nooooo stash. This is not for you. Its for my secret pal.

too funny chel what a lucky yarnee you have!i had to box up my yarnees gift cause my stash was trying to talk it into staying too......
i have some plymouth suri (four balls in two green colors) to make a little kid sweater, its soo soft! my mmmmalabrigo is so pretty, and i love my merino sock yarns too, they are soooooo soft (jojoland on ebay) i am dying to order some cashmere and silk from colourmart! :passedout:
eta-big baby yarn from muench for a baby blanket...too cute

SabrinaJL
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm fixing to splurge on some Artyarns Regal Silk (http://www.artyarns.com/newsite/html/yn_regalsilk.htm). I've never touched it but the colors are sooo pretty (and it's silk, so it's gotta feel pretty nice).

AmandaC
04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd get some Tilli Thomas

dustinac
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Malabrigo.. Hand Painted Misti Alpaca... so many to chose from :teehee:

KathyinCali
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
(Quote)Or... how about 100% extra fine merino? And superwash to boot. The one I know of is Karabella Aurora 8. Warning:I've never even seen this, I'm going by reviews and comments from others. (End Quote)

I love the Karabella yarns. Both Aurora 8 and their Melange are sooo soft. I use them any chance I get.

candicane
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Where did you get the Noro Lily? It has been discontinued and I am on the hunt for navy and black.

Candice

aineepooh1
04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
OK~ has anyone tried DB alpaca silk and malabrigo? can yous say Which one was softer IYO?

has anyone tried yarn that was dyed/spun by a fiber artist? i really wanna try some yarn candy from someone who spins/dyes it themselves: aka: I want to support a fiber artists special talents with some of my $$$$ since I don't often have the ca$h to do so but I really would like to try some.. Iknow we have had dyers/spinners here before who showed their
~ BEAUTIFUL yarn candy~~

Does anyone have any names??? :hug:

Ainee

brendajos
04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
i would check out www.helloyarn.com for pretties!

I think the Debbie Bliss silk alpaca is softer but they are completely different fibers and there is definitely more yardage on the malabrigo. I just got a whole bunch of the silk alpaca (see big box of happy post :teehee:) and just LOVE touching it! yummers

mwedzi
04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I'd get some Tilli Thomas Me, too. Or some Art Yarns Beaded Silk at $36 for 50 grams :shock:, which is even pricier, but has prettier colors.

I wanted to do this diagonal top:
http://www.fabulousyarn.com/artyarns_pattsmp90.shtml

using 2 skeins of the ArtYarns regal silk for the bottom and a skein of the beaded silk for the top, but I don't have that kind of dough right now. But it would be really pretty.

Oh, someone mentioned Karabella Aurora 8. I made a sweater from that yarn and it is great. It doesn't generally get put into the category of luxury yarn, but it is just a very good quality yarn. Soft merino (I have pretty sensitive skin and it doesn't itch me), 8 plies each having 2 plies so very springy and nicely spun, and superwash. It's good quality.

Oh, the DB Alpaca Silk feels softer in my hand, but I find most alpaca itchier than fine merino. I think I'd rather wear the Malabrigo.

kristinw
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I'd get some Tilli Thomas

Yup, this. Yummy!

kemp
04-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd have to vote for baby alpaca or cashmere for a splurge. Nothing better than really yummy alpaca...at least for me!

BinkyKat
04-11-2007, 09:10 PM
:shrug: I usually pick up and put down pick up and put down 100% cashmere at my lys thinking someday i'd get it. but not until i have a real project to dedicate it to. that's the one thing i just can't buy without a firm plan in place :heart:

uplate6674
04-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Artfibers Kyoto is pure decadence. It's the softest, silkiest, most sensuous yarn I've ever knitted with. It's 67% silk, with some mohair and soft, soft wool blened in. The three fibers take dye differently, so there's a gorgeous multidimensional quality to the colors. Some of them actually look like they're glowing. It's that luminous.

It's only sold in their retail store and at artfibers.com