PDA

View Full Version : When you were a Beginner . . .

baronreads
04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
what were your first 3 projects?

I'm working on a ribbed scarf right now and I've joined a Dishcloth KAL, but I have my eyes on the Felted Bags and socks. I'm just wondering when I'll be ready. :shrug:

This is a great site, you are all such ENABLERS!! :eyebrow:

LoAnnie
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
My first finished project was a pair of gloves, so go for it. Learn as you need it.

LoAnnie

BostonBecca
04-12-2007, 10:52 AM
My first project (it just needs to be felted) was a felted bowl. I actually did all the knitting required, I just don't have a washing machine that doens't cost two dollars to run at my apartment and I don't want to have to hang out in the basement watching it. I'll do it ay my boyfriend's house one of these days. I did my first project on DPN's, big fat, huge DPN's.

I did my second project as two long garter stitch scarves for my sister and her husband and a third scarf for my mom the same way. I consider them all one huge project because they all involved the same skills.

My third project was a pair of long wristwarmers (really armwarmers) knit flat and seamed.

My fourth project was a calorimetry to experiment with short rows.

My fifth one is a tanktop.

My sixth one is another scarf but with an interesting pattern.

Somewhere in there was another project which was a hat knit in the flat and seamed.

I guess I would say not to hesitate to try something new because honestly, you can learn new amazing skills, it might take you a few tries, but it's fine to rip it all out and start over.

My next new projects after the tanktop and scarf are done? They are any number of sweaters, some gloves on DPN's for my boy, and SOCKS! I have the yarn and already cased on once, but I always do this with new projects, cast on once and then rip it out and start over after the first ten rows or so because I have all the kinks figured out and can erase any mistakes I made. I an a new knitter and errors on my first try are almost expected.

auburnchick
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
What you probably should do is pick a project each time that teaches you a new stitch or two and a new concept, such as knitting in the round, double-pointed needles, etc.

This (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html) is a VERY easy pattern, and you get a great product when you're done. It's a lot of fun to make too.

Whatever you choose to do, you can always come here for help. The people at this site are AWESOME!

Welcome!!!! :hug:

HollyP
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
I am so impressed with the people who didn't do something like a scarf or dishcloth for their first project! For years everything I knit was a square or rectangle!
my first project was a looong garter stitch scarf
my second was a bunch of patterned squares that I seamed into a blanket
my third was a basketweave baby blanket

jodstr2
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
I am so impressed with the people who didn't do something like a scarf or dishcloth for their first project!

ditto! :notworthy:

my first 3 (or 4 or 25) projects were garter stitch scarves. idk how many garter stitch scarves I did before making a felted bag in the round (only knit stitch, since it was stockinette in the round). I finally got the hang of purling about 5 months after I started knitting and could finally do something else.

baronreads
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
What you probably should do is pick a project each time that teaches you a new stitch or two and a new concept, such as knitting in the round, double-pointed needles, etc.

This (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html) is a VERY easy pattern, and you get a great product when you're done. It's a lot of fun to make too.

Whatever you choose to do, you can always come here for help. The people at this site are AWESOME!

GMTA!! I just bookmarked that pattern this morning! LOVE IT!! :lol:

auburnchick
04-12-2007, 11:24 AM

And you just placed your order for the yarn to make it with, right?? :teehee:

BostonBecca
04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
What is your source for the Noro to make this bag with? I mgiht just go to Windsor Button but if I can find it for a good price I won't have to go down to Park Street...

knit-errant
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
My first three crochet projects (I learned crochet way before I learned to knit) were all baby blankets. One was a crosshatch stitch, the second had a floral hexagon motif, the third had square motifs with bullion-stitch flowers.

My first three knitting projects were: a garter stitch scarf (gosh! Imagine that!); next was an Irish Hiking Scarf, followed by a pair of wristwarmers, then a We Call Them Pirates Hat. Oops, guess that was four. Oh well. ;)

KathyinCali
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I learned to knit about 10 or so years ago, then got away from it for a few years before picking it back up about a year ago. Last year I knit well over a dozen scarves throughout the year then moved on to a Ruana at the end of the year. I'm still a newbie. I'm just feeling a tiny bit more comfortable trying new patterns and branching out. When I finally got it into my head that it was OKAY to make mistakes and have to start over I became more adventurous :)

Keep at it. Happy Knitting!

dustinac
04-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Once I quit frogging and just went with it.. I had 3 things going.. a dish rag.. a baby afghan for my girl that was full of mistakes that dh wouldn't let me rip out.. so I knitted little butterflies and flowers to cover them up.. and a fabric purse in the round for mom... then I started into sweaters for my kids.. felted handbag...and then socks.. I didn't do scarves till right before that Christmas :rofl:

I say go for it.. :cheering:

LeslieRR
04-12-2007, 11:40 AM
My first 3 projects were a little aran sweater for a boyfriend's neice, a very easy very vogue Calvin Klein sweater, and a stockinette sweater with colour blocks.

They were all very strangely constucted, no attention to gauge and with very cheap yarn. LOL

This was back when I was in high school and I just decided to knit something. My mom always said if you can knit, and you can purl, then you can do anything you want.

trublnde
04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
My first project was a hat, and my second project was the Danica scarf from knitty. I think it helped my out alot doing projects that I found challenged me, not only because they held my attention, but also because they helped me improve my skills. I say go for whatever you want!!

auburnchick
04-12-2007, 12:43 PM
What is your source for the Noro to make this bag with? I mgiht just go to Windsor Button but if I can find it for a good price I won't have to go down to Park Street...

I'll pull my receipt when I get home. I just can't remember who I ordered from...

Mommy22alyns
04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Some wise words I have heard here - dive in and just try it! There are great resources here to help you out or dig you out of trouble. I love Auburnchick's idea of one new technique at a time - that's what I've been doing unintentionally!

Inis
04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
First, a throw with a ripple pattern -- I did the make ones wrong and so it has huge holes LOL.

Second, a scarf with just regular garter stitch. I wear it all the time.

Third, a hat, scarf, mitten set/kit I got at Target. They turned out awful - especially the mittens.

uplate6674
04-12-2007, 01:16 PM
My first project was a cranberry chenille scarf in which every single stitch was twisted by mistake.

My second was a simple Manos hat knit in the round.

My third was a cabled hat knit in the round with super chunky wool.

syndactylus
04-12-2007, 01:29 PM
my first was a hideous baby blanket, my second was this
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7000/3118/200/turtles.0.jpg
and my third was booties to go with the blanket & sweater.
I think the mom rejected all but the sweater, because the booties didn't look like they would fit any baby foot on the planet & were never heard from again. :teehee:

baronreads
04-12-2007, 04:14 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I have not gotten that far yet! But now that you mention it . .. . off to check out the yarn! :oops:

bobi1218
04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm still a beginner :) But my first 3 projects were:

1. A striped, ribbed scarf for DH that he won't use because its too itchy
2. 2 washcloths for DS, one in basketweave and one in plain stockinette
3. A funky evening bag that I gifted to a friend in a holiday gift exchange

ironmaiden
04-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm a brand-newbie, just started to learn a few days ago. So far I've made half a terrible scarf and am now (with much more success so far) working on a poncho for my 3 y/o little lady :D.

Ingrid
04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I made a Barbie skirt, a bookmark and a headband--all the same thing, just different lengths. :teehee: I was 9.

dink
04-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm still a newbie, and I only have 1 Finnished Object, the standard stockinette scarf, which I ended up giving to my mom.

My next two projects are going to be the Booga Bag (just got my yarn a few days ago) & the Scrunchable Scarf (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm)

aineepooh1
04-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Garter stitch scarves ( the 1st 4 pojects) , moved on to hats ( about 5 of them), started a purse (didn't finish/or frogit), a small babycarrier blankie, and a FINISHED knitted purse 2 small and 1 large for me..
Now I am working on my 1st Tank top~!
and learning crochet on the side so I can put the border on it~! :notworthy:

Brandilyne
04-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I love reading about all the first projects! I started knitting about 2 months ago and my first project was a scarf with boucle yarn. Of course all of my intelligent knitting friends told me not to work with boucle first, but it was bright and soft and pretty and it seduced me. Other than a large tumor on the side in the first 4 inches or so where I magically added the requisite beginner's "extra" stitches, it actually turned out ok. I'm contemplating ripping out that end and knitting it backward, but I might screw that up so I'm not too sure :)

Then I made an afghan square for WUA that has a pawprint on it. Next I started on a messenger bag that is still unfinished as it is straight garter stitch and I obviously bore easily, heh. Somewhere in there I also knit a headband and an earwarmerheadwrapthingymajigger.

Even though I knew knitting a sock was probably not the thing for someone who had been knitting for less than a month, I reeeeallllly wanted cute socks, so I tried those next! Since I managed to not poke any eyes out with the dpns, I am officially a sock (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/myfirstREALsock.jpg) whore now and want to knit them all the time!

Then I started this crazy summery wrap that I'm making on size 17 needles with a gazillion different colors of yarn. Imagine the Easter Bunny after a long hard night at the Hippity Hoppity Club and you've got my shawl!

Because I seem to be the kind of person that needs to have more than one WIP I also decided to start Branching Out from knitty.com. I have a lovely friend who is learning to dye yarn and she sent me a gorgeous skein of handpainted silk in a light worsted weight that was begging to be knit. I've done about 11 repeats of the lace pattern so far with another 16 in my future. I took this pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/branchingoutbettercolor.jpg) last weekend, but the lighting left something to be desired.

Finally, I just got some needles and yarn for a Booga, but I'm not happy with the color of the yarn and must go buy more :)

I'm so happy that knitting found me, even if I will soon be required to knit myself a house to live in when I spend my last cent on yarn, hee!

baronreads
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Brandilyne,

Your work is beautiful! I can't believe you did that sock less than a month after starting to knit. It gives me hope! And your lace pattern is GORGEOUS! That's very encouraging to a newbie! TFS :cheering:

Markette
04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
My first project was a baby afghan, but I ..uh... abandoned it halfway through.

My second and third projects were the Fiber Trends Felted Clogs.

And then I made a felted bunny (my avatar) and moved on to hats, sweaters, and socks. Soon, lace. The way I see it, the only way to learn something is to do it. So far the only thing that's been as hard as it looks is kitchener stitch.

Julie
04-12-2007, 10:36 PM
1. a nine-foot scarf (at least it felt that long!). I made myself knit through an entire skein of Red Heart before I could learn to purl.

2. A poncho for my DD (18mos at the time...I think that it would fint my 6yo today, lol)

3. A very fugly hat out of the poncho yarn.

ecb
04-13-2007, 08:33 AM
my first project was a bubble gum pink scarf made with KISS eyelash type yarn
I could not see my stitches, so each time I messed up it looked normal (except the BUMP on one side)
my second was a series of toy balls
my 3rd (basically) was Princess abby

Ronda
04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
When I first learned to knit, I just knitted squares. Just for practice. It had to be perfect before I would let myself try anything else. Then I moved on to scarves. I did a LOT of scarves. I gave most of them away. It took me quite a while to get brave enough to try other stuff! I'm always amazed at the newbies on this board who tell us their first project was a sweater. :notworthy: :notworthy:

auburnchick
04-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Brandilyne,

That scarf is GREAT! I finished that scarf a few weeks ago. I really like the pattern!

But the yarn!!!! :passedout:

Sooooooo pretty!!!!!!!

It would make a GORGEOUS pair of socks, done in a chevron pattern!!!!

Brandilyne
04-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Awww, thanks so much for the nice compliments baronreads and auburnchick!

The Branching Out scarf from knitty.com is a really nice pattern and I think it's actually pretty easy for a completely dorky newbie like myself. I really wanted to make something I could wear up against my skin with that silk yarn because it feels scrumptious. And how funny that you would mention chevron socks because that's what's OTN right now in Sockotta! :teehee:

I can't believe how quickly this addiction has taken hold, but I dearly love it!

Quiltlady
04-13-2007, 05:21 PM
A scarf, a scarf and a scarf. :teehee:

Paws4Knitting
04-13-2007, 07:13 PM
where is this branch out scarf everyone is talking about? :shrug:

auburnchick
04-13-2007, 07:38 PM
where is this branch out scarf everyone is talking about? :shrug:

Here (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTbranchingout.html) it is.

Check the Whatcha Knitting forum to see some FO's. Several of us have completed them in the last couple of months.

Knitting_Guy
04-13-2007, 11:32 PM
scarf, socks, working on 3rd (socks)

amishgirl281
04-14-2007, 03:56 AM
My first three projects were a mutli-colored blanket, a simple garter stitch scarf, then an scarf using enlongated stitch. It was nice, made knitting much faster :)

elfhelm
04-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Hrm, I believe mine were:

1. Three Hogwarts House scarves (I was insane to do three. Insane.)
2. "Official Kittyville Hat" from Stitch'N'Bitch
3. Stripped armwarmers in House colours

So basically, I started off in the round and am now slightly afraid of flat knitting and (especially) seaming.

baronreads
04-14-2007, 11:33 PM

I did NOW!! I just bought it on Ebay! I wanted the #95 like the pic and had heard it's hard to find, so I went ahead and got it. I can't WAIT to start this!! :happydance: