PDA

View Full Version : Knitting supplies for Guys...

ZenMage
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
How come no one makes knitting supplies for men. I have nothing against pretty things and soft colours (I have a 16 month old daughter so I get it) but I can't very well carry a tapestry bag (that looks like a purse) to work or the park.

It would be nice if there were a simple black or tan bag (possibly a backpack or messenger bag). Needle cases are also in short supply for guys. I have resorted to a paint brush bag to store my needles.

I definitely do not want to offend anyone here... I just can't have a pink bag with fluffy kittens on it sitting at my desk. I would have to find another job (or suffer the mental abuse). And don't get me wrong, I am not looking for camoflage bags with guns on them, just something understated and classic looking.

If you are a guy who has similar issues I would love to read a post from you. If you know of anywhere to get the types of supplies I am looking for, PLEASE post it here.

Thank you to everyone who suffered through my little rant... I love the community here.

SandraEllen
04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
I usually prefer understated and classic too...

namaste has a messenger bag and just released a black one. They had previously had only colors with girlish lining. I don't know if the lining on this is subtle enough for a guy, but I think it's pretty tame.
Check it out (http://www.divaknitting.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=661)!

Stiney
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
The lining on my brown Namaste messenger bag isn't disgustingly girly...it's blue and brown and white stripes.

I'm a girl and I wish that they made less "feminine" stuff! No pink bag with kitties here, either. :teehee:

Man, a paint brush bag is such a good idea!

jeanius80
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
joanns has this bag (http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$EL4UQZYAAGSMIP4SY5KRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=82324&PRODID=130622) if you like orange (i do, but i am not a guy :shrug: ).
http://63.210.199.180/07/95/2/79527.jpg.fpx?qlt=70&wid=144&cvt=jpeg

brendajos
04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I think the original Jordana Paige messenger bags (http://jordanapaige.com/messengerbag.html) were kinda guy like too. More expensive than the Namaste bags but I think they are bigger too. :shrug:

Anyway I would think a messenger bag is the way to go... :thumbsup:

knit-errant
04-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I'd like to see more gender-neutral items. I'd buy them!

I've never been traditionally feminine -- first jobs were as a welder then a mechanic -- and I'm very uncomfortable with most things girly. My husband feels more at ease in a Victoria's Secret than I do (I know they're all laughing at me: "Who does she think she's kidding?").

I'd like to be girlier, but it's... really, really scary. So, yeah. Something more understated would be nice (so says the girl who carries her knitting in a canvas bag that says "This $#@! is bananas!" on it, heh). I do like that bag you posted SandraEllen!

ZenMage
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
You guys rock... I wasn't expecting replies this quickly. The last bag posted (from Joanns) is great, expensive, but great!

Maybe we should pool our skills and creativity togeather and come up with a classic looking knitting product line! (pipe dreams keep me going :happydance: )

I am looking forward to more responses!

Thanks everyone,

BostonBecca
04-12-2007, 12:20 PM
and more professional looking ones as well....

For those of us in the business and professional worlds, I would love a briefcase looking bag with room for a portfolio, some files, and some knitting stuff. I am sure I could find a regular briefcase with a bunch of pockets from Tumi or something that matches my messenger bag from them which has tons of pockets, but a briefcase with a special knitting pocket area would be awesome.

letah75
04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm to am not the girly-girl type. Never have been. I was all about Tonka trucks and Hot Wheels as a child, no barbies for me.

I went to KMart and bought a messanger type bag for myself and a seperate hockey type bag. I use those much of the time, especially when i take knitting to work. I kind of like the idea of a camo bag.

I have the orange bag that was posted earlier. My only problem with it is the embroidered square on one pocket. But I just turn that towards me so no one else can see it.

Jan in CA
04-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I was totally girly with Barbie and pink swirly dresses when I was young, but I prefer to be a little more grownup now..although I still like pink. :teehee: I can completely understand your needs though. The bags that have been posted already are great!

Welcome to the forum! You're in good company with lots of guys here.

bip
04-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Knitting stuff for guys, huh? Hummm, would that be like sts markers in the shape of those nudie-mudflap ladies? Knitting needles shaped like little golf clubs? A pattern for a felted beer cozy? I am intrigued.

BostonBecca
04-12-2007, 01:14 PM
http://handkraft.typepad.com/_handkraft/2006/12/game_day_beer_c.html

You could easily add a few stitches around and felt them...

Or just follow these directions: http://knittingspaz.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_knittingspaz_archive.html

letah75
04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Knitting stuff for guys, huh? Hummm, would that be like sts markers in the shape of those nudie-mudflap ladies? Knitting needles shaped like little golf clubs? A pattern for a felted beer cozy? I am intrigued.

:roflhard: You forgot a felted remote control holster for the belt, and an inertia football season calander.

BostonBecca
04-12-2007, 01:18 PM
How about a felted tool belt?

brendajos
04-12-2007, 01:29 PM

:roflhard: You forgot a felted remote control holster for the belt, and an inertia football season calander.

Okay let me tell you i actually just spent time trying to figure out what an "inertia" football calender would look like! Yeah I eventually figured out what you meant! :doh:

:rofl:

Jan in CA
04-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Okay let me tell you i actually just spent time trying to figure out what an "inertia" football calender would look like! Yeah I eventually figured out what you meant! :doh:

I still don't know.. :??

brendajos
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Well I eventually translated it into Intarsia but to be honest... a lot of football watching in my family can be described as inertia too! :shock:

letah75
04-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Well I eventually translated it into Intarsia but to be honest... a lot of football watching in my family can be described as inertia too! :shock:

Yeah....uh....a speller I'm not. oops. I meant Intarsia, I claim Freudian slip.

Mommy22alyns
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Hmmm... I bet someone could design patterns for baseball team logos... :teehee:

BostonBecca
04-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I did plan out a red Sox scarf using a graph chart generator online using pictures of their logos but I can't get the PDFs to come through as attachments. It's really simple...

The site is here: http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

SabrinaJL
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Something more understated would be nice (so says the girl who carries her knitting in a canvas bag that says "This $#@! is bananas!" on it, heh).

I carry mine in a black Invader Zim messenger bag. It's not very understated (or grown-up) but it makes me giggle to carry my knitting around in a bag that says, "PREPARE FOR SOME DOOM!" But I love Zim and I'm easily amused like that. Something a little classier might be nice every now and then though.

http://sabrinajl.com/knitting/zimbag.JPG

And I second the site that BostonBecca posted. I used it to make a double knit Iowa Hawkeyes scarf for my dad. It generates the charts a bit wonky though so it required some tweaking (adding a stitch here, taking out one there, etc...).

http://www.sabrinajl.com/knitting/hawkeyescarf2.jpg

losnana
04-12-2007, 04:22 PM
and more professional looking ones as well....

For those of us in the business and professional worlds, I would love a briefcase looking bag with room for a portfolio, some files, and some knitting stuff. I am sure I could find a regular briefcase with a bunch of pockets from Tumi or something that matches my messenger bag from them which has tons of pockets, but a briefcase with a special knitting pocket area would be awesome.

I totally agree! i take my knitting with me when I'm acting as a substitute judge, and would love something more professional than I have been able to find.

brendajos
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I keep perusing this site (www.allbriefcases.com)for more professional looking cases. Of course I am looking at the more girly ones just because there are so few ways that i am a girlie girl but my purses are definitely one of them! :teehee: But you might find something that looks like what you are looking for in a place like this. :shrug:

DianaM
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I have been at war with the color pink for many many years (no offense to pink-lovers). It just irks me the wrong way. I pretty much carry my knitting around in black tote bags, messenger bags and the such.

If you want a messenger style bag, try amazon.
I plan on getting this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H2B4WE/ref=wl_it_dp/104-1661580-7002309?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3V529Y9SQNO6J&colid=1J4WOOBR5SPAL) eventually to carry smaller projects around.

ecb
04-12-2007, 09:29 PM
There is a woman that lives around the corner from me (about 3 miles I think) who has a shop called "the canvas bag machine" She makes Many Many styles of canvas bags, and quite a few of them are good for knitting, with smaller pockets inside larger pockets.
she only does pink on rare occasions, most of her stuff is dark blue or green, or Fire engine red, or tan.
her stuff is SO cool, I wish I could afford a lot more of her stuff

ecb

JoeE
04-13-2007, 05:04 PM
I bought a big honkin' canvas tool bag at Lowes to use for my knitting bag. I *love* it :heart: :heart: :heart: !!! I think it was called a Big Mouth or something like that.

I made my own needle case--a very simple fabric pouch that I roll up and tie closed.

Joe