PDA

View Full Version : knitting workshop??

pigsfly0311
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I bought EZ book Knitting Workshop because I read this from School House Press:

Knitting Workshop
— Elizabeth Zimmermann

From “Beginnings” and learning the basics of knitting (casting-on, knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing and casting-off) to “Master Classes” and delving into the more complicated techniques involved in Fair Isle, Aran, or Lace knitting, the Knitting Workshop is a wonderful compendium for circular knitting and an introduction to master knitter Elizabeth Zimmermann. Instructions for hats, sweaters, shawls and EZ’s legendary Baby Surprise Jacket, as well as The Tomten. The book accompanies the video series of the same name, but stands on its own.

I wanted to knit the baby surprise jacket but when the book finally got here there is only a section telling you what newsletter the pattern is in

Is there 2 versions of this book??
is it in there and I'm just Blind??
Why do I always have this kinda luck??

Jan in CA
04-12-2007, 12:37 PM
I got it from the library so I don't have it available to find the Baby Surprise section, but it's in there. Is there an index or table of contents? If all else fails it's not that big..go through it page by page.

BTW..I thoroughly enjoyed reading it from cover to cover. ;)

suzeeq
04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I think the Bog Jacket is in there, but not the Baby Surprise Sweater. I thought the BSS is only in the newsletter.

sue

pigsfly0311
04-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Well Poo

it refers me to newsletter #21

:pout:

Jan in CA
04-12-2007, 12:51 PM
I think the Bog Jacket is in there, but not the Baby Surprise Sweater. I thought the BSS is only in the newsletter.

sue

That's odd... According to these pictures of whats IN the book the baby surprise is there. Click the "view more pix link" to see.
http://www.knitpicks.com/Knitting+Workshop_BD30609.html I'd still check each page to make sure since it shows it here. :??:

I did order the pattern from Schoolhouse Press (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm) though so maybe I forgot.. Anyway it's only $3 so it's worth it.

I am making a bog jacket now.

pigsfly0311
04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
the picture is in the book but not the pattern:(

I guess I will just have to buy the pattern, it's just ... I thought I already did buy it..

pigsfly0311
04-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Double poo

no bog jacket in here either :(

Yarn Doc
04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I think the bog jacket is in Knitting Around.

ETA: The Baby Surprise is in my copy of Knitting Workshop (red hardcover). She talks about it on page 100, but refers you to the Appendix on pg 157, and that's where the pattern is.

Jan in CA
04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I think the bog jacket is in Knitting Around.

Well damn!! I think this is the book I actually took out of the library. :doh: Sorry about that. No wonder I bought it from Schoolhouse Press. :oops:

pigsfly0311
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
You Aint goin believe this..

Page 157 in my book is BLANK :wall:

page 156 says: Now turn the heart into a hat
page 157 Blank

page 100 refers me to newsletter 21 :verysad:

Jan in CA
04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
You Aint goin believe this..

Page 157 in my book is BLANK :wall:

WHERE did you get the book? Can you return or exchange it?

ETA: I am a member of the Knit Baby Surprise Yahoo group and I checked where I had asked about where the pattern was. Here's the response they gave me.. :shrug:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jan,

Schoolhouse Press is owned by the family of Elizabeth Zimmermann. Not only
did she leave us a treasure trove of her original work, she left a very
talented family and a great family business. Therefore, just about any of her
patterns that anybody anywhere in the world will get will first start at
Schoolhouse
Press. There are many of her books available in libraries and book stores as
well. I would suggest that anybody out of the country that might want to
look at these books check their local libraries and book stores.

The Baby Surprise pattern itself is available in "Knitting Workshop" and I
believe that I saw that it is also addressed in the newest book, "The
Opinionated Knitter" which is EZ's work updated somewhat by her family. It was
a
feature in a magazine some years ago (can't remember which one right off the top
of
my head), and there are still a few copies of that magazine around in used
book stores and sometimes available on e-bay. Most are in the hands of private
collectors, though.
------------------------------------------------

Meg Swansen (EZ's daughter) is very nice and if you send her an email through the Schoolhouse Press website I'm sure she can answer as to what book the pattern is definitely in. I'm so confused now.

Yarn Doc
04-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Well crap. The pattern I want (set-in shoulder v-neck) is also in Newsletter 12. Which is conveniently OOP. I guess I'll have to order it from the website as well. Harrumph.

Pigsfly - Pls PM me and we can make umm...shall we say... arrangements.

pigsfly0311
04-12-2007, 01:51 PM
I bought it from a lady on one of my home school forums, who I have bought home school books from before... I just didnt know to ask if page 157 is blank.. so I guess it's not her fault

Damn My Luck these days!

today has been like waking up on Christmas morning so excited cant wait to see what the fat man left... Only to find it aint nothing but a Big Hunk O Coal

NOt that the book I got is a like a big hunk O coal... I actually want to read it,I'm sure it's a wonderful book...

hell, I dont even know what it is I'm trying to say....

I think I'll go knit somthin.......

Yarn Doc
04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Jan, that response from Schoolhouse is <words that I cannot use on this forum>. The books are NOT exactly cheap and then to show sweaters that are not available in the book, but that you have to pay an extra $1-3 plus $7 shipping for...it just doesn't seem right to me. Grrrr....

pigsfly0311
04-12-2007, 02:04 PM
I sent Schoolhouse an email, but I'm not sure they will respond..

I probably sounded like a crazy lady asking where are the words on page 157? and if there is a secret way to read them that I am not aware of..

pigsfly0311
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Turns out there is 2 versions of the book, I got an email back from schoolhouse (very surprisingly.. seeing how I was talkin like a crazy woman) telling me the early editions of the book just had the picture and no pattern.
They were very nice and told me they would mail me the pattern and a catalog :)

So before anyone buys this book, ask whats on page 157

suzeeq
04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I guess it was Knitting Around that I checked out of the library too. Sorry about that....

su