PDA

View Full Version : OT: Just An Update

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Well, ok mostly OT. I did get a chance to do a few rows on my sock today, but not as much as I would have liked. besides, I was so tired I couldn't concentrate very well.

Last night, a little after midnight, I was involved in a wreck in downtown Detroit. Some idiot in a pick up truck thought it would be a good idea to try to come around me on my left side while I was making a LEFT turn.

My truck is damaged, his pick up was damaged, and I lost a lot of my sleep time last night dealing with the police and the accident reporting.

I had to use a chain and a forklift to pull my front bumper back in so that it wasn't sticking out 3 feet in front of the truck. The guy was flying when he hit me.

Luckily though nobody was hurt, and I can catch up on my sleep tonight. Such is the trucking business some times.

Happy knitting.

Krystal
04-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh wow, I am so glad everyone is alright. I can see why you don't like going to Detroit. I don't care for it much myself, and I don't even drive! I stick to just visiting my dad there during Christmas. lol.

Sending good vibes for the road yet traveled.

:muah:

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh wow, I am so glad everyone is alright. I can see why you don't like going to Detroit. I don't care for it much myself, and I don't even drive! I stick to just visiting my dad there during Christmas. lol.

Sending good vibes for the road yet traveled.

:muah:

Tell your dad to move soon as I am working on a plan to wipe that blemish on the face of the world off the map so we can build something better. Like maybe a landfill.

:wall:

Stiney
04-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I read about that! :grrr: :!!!:

I was so scared when I clicked on my Reader and your blog title was "I got in a wreck." :pout: Glad you're okay! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks. I'm surprised anyone is still reading my boring old blog. :rofl:

snowbear
04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Mason.. how could we not read your blog... who else can make being relegated to a hotel room for about 2 weeks sound interesting.. (while being alone that is..)

There are many of us who enjoy the videos. the opinions, and the general life of a trucker..lol

Your blog gives a different view of life... and we all need to view other's way of life at times..

Bear hugs....

p.s. you look about 15 yrs younger w/out the beard...

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks Snowbear.

I just hit keys and see what sort of crap comes out. :??

The beard is growing back. I regretted shaving it almost immediately.

auburnchick
04-12-2007, 09:50 PM
So glad you are okay. Some people should not be issued drivers licenses, eh?

DianaM
04-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Did you tear the driver a new one I hope? I would've gone latina on his *** :blush:

Hope things turn out alright. And when you wipe the blemish off of this earth, open a big yarn store, so something good will come out of it. :hug:

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2007, 09:58 PM
So glad you are okay. Some people should not be issued drivers licenses, eh?

Thanks, very true

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Did you tear the driver a new one I hope? I would've gone latina on his *** :blush:

No, as a professional I can't do that. The first thing I did was to make sure he wasn't injured, and then I called the police before going through all of the steps to document the accident (pictures, reports, diagrams, all that). There are a lot of things I'm required by law to do at an accident scene, and some more required by the insurance company. I also have to present a professional image to the cops when they show up as it helps them process the accident.

MoniDew
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
oh my goodness! I'm so glad you are okay!!!! I'm so sorry that happened. I hope all is well now, and for a long, LONG time to come, too!
________
Self-Funded Health Care Forums (http://www.insurance-forums.org/self-funded-health-care/)

BinkyKat
04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Glad you're ok...
One of the times my brother was driving otr and was living out east, some stupid "cow" was driving where she shouldn't have been in a loading are and hit his trailer. basically she had a knack for this sort of thing and had a history of filing lawsuits for injuries and such, although this couldn't be allowed in her suit against my brother that he "backed" into her. he had no choice, he didn't see her and apparently her lawyer was better than the company lawyer for him so he got screwed.
my dh the garbage man deals with idjits that walk between dumpsters and his beeping truck going in reverse. he got testy with a lady when at the last 5 feet he saw her come out from behing him and told her to NEVER do that again...she looked at him like he had lobsters coming out of his ears. and most people thing that big trucks cause all the problems. his company got a call that someone witnessed one of the drivers "total" a parked car in an apt. parking lot when picking up a dumpster. when dh's boss called the property mgr to discuss and the he read the "witness' account" and that he saw it all plain as day and described the color of the truck and so on.. turns out it was a totally different company all together. now, you'd think the mgr would have told the resident who hauls their garbage before calling the WRONG company...

and then this (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=162405) occured here yesterday....thankfully no one was hurt...now that my brother is a yard master for the railroad, and drives a 2 day quick route ever other week, he can appreciate both sides of the situation...

Jan in CA
04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Yikes..what a pain! Glad you're okay!

Aquaria
04-13-2007, 02:18 AM
Glad to know everybody's okay : )

This reminds me of my second older brother who's just old enough to have a driver's licence. He's still new and had just got from an "L" to "N", not very skilled, but eager to drive. Yesterday he had been throwing a big tantrum on my mum (also me and my older brother for agreeing with mom)for not allowing him to use the car. He is not at all that experienced and he was talking about picking up all his buddies already. He would have been allowed if mom was there to coach him but somehow boys this age feel stupid around their buddies when their mum was there :shrug: .

Again, I'm glad you're alright :wink: . Sometimes these sort of things can be really troublesome, for people always find "ways to earn money", and that's what my mum was afraid of. We hear such things so often here. Even the littlest bump on someone else's car can make you pay lots of money, if the person decided to sue you. I remember once when an absolute idiot decided he wants some money so he blamed on us for his bump at the rear of his car, which had nothing to do with us at all. Then the court finally set everything right afterwards. I am glad that yours wasn't one of these people.

orcoastknitter
04-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Glad you are ok.

:hug:

SandraEllen
04-13-2007, 07:20 AM
I really hope you weren't in downtown downtown Detroit after midnight. A lot of those areas are scary when it's light out...

bobi1218
04-13-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm glad you're ok!! My Dad is a truck driver, and I'm always nervous thinking about all the idiots on the road around him and his tank trailer full of very flammable, highly pressurized liquid (he hauls propane).

HeatherFeather
04-13-2007, 08:23 AM
We just got back from Det. for my FIL's funeral, and I'm amazed that there is anybody left TO hit you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said in another post, we came through Ohio, and then the Tunnel, and both my dh and I said at the same time..."we're home".

It is so BLEAK there. Granted, we were doing the "funeral" stuff, and my MIL was fully in the anger stage of grief, but still.....too much concrete.

nadja la claire
04-13-2007, 08:41 AM
WOW!!! I'm glad you're ok Mason, I would really miss your posts. You've got such a wonderful sense of humor. :hug:

I've never been to Detroit, but I know that PAs highways are infamous. I often wish I were a traffic cop.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

marykz
04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
wow- I'm so glad no one was hurt. but what a PITA that is. will they lend you another rig while yours is being fixed? BTW- my daughter loved the home movies from the truck.

Ronda
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey! You're in my neck of the woods! I'm an hour south of Detroit. They drive like maniacs up there!

I'm sorry about your accident, but I'm certainly glad no one was hurt. I know someone who tried to pass a truck on the right when the truck was turning right (from the left lane). This poor guy was driving a motorcycle. Needless to say, he got the raw end of the deal.

SandraEllen
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I know someone who tried to pass a truck on the right when the truck was turning right (from the left lane). This poor guy was driving a motorcycle. Needless to say, he got the raw end of the deal.
:pout:

OMG!!! I once saw a semi truck that had pulled up along the right side of another semi truck that was turning right. HE, OF ALL PEOPLE, SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!! :roflhard: The cab of the truck on the right got all smunched by the trailer... :roflhard: :roflhard:

DianaM
04-13-2007, 09:41 AM

No, as a professional I can't do that. The first thing I did was to make sure he wasn't injured, and then I called the police before going through all of the steps to document the accident (pictures, reports, diagrams, all that). There are a lot of things I'm required by law to do at an accident scene, and some more required by the insurance company. I also have to present a professional image to the cops when they show up as it helps them process the accident.

Then send him my way....no one has to know :eyebrow: :teehee:

Just kidding. I hope things are looking up today ^^

aineepooh1
04-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Glad your ok Mason and the dumb*** driver too~! I am so glad noone was hurt..
I hate accident lawyers~ :wall:

Arielluria
04-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're OK. Drivers just don't realize HOW many more feet of road it takes a big rig to stop, and think they can just sneak in there as if it were any other car.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Knitting_Guy
04-13-2007, 11:43 PM
I really hope you weren't in downtown downtown Detroit after midnight. A lot of those areas are scary when it's light out...

Yeah it was after midnight but it's ok, I'm used to those areas and can handle myself quite well there. If you pay attention to the videos I did you might spot a scar on my right cheek left by a guy foolish enough to think he could rob me. It didn't work out very well for him.

Knitting_Guy
04-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I enjoyed reading them all. These things just go with the job. In over 10 years I've been involved with numerous accidents *sad but true* and all but one were the other person's fault (hey I'm not perfekt).

I'm thinking of buying a couple of horses and a wagon and hauling freight for the Amish. :teehee:

psammeadred
04-14-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm thinking of buying a couple of horses and a wagon and hauling freight for the Amish. :teehee:

But then you'd have to clean up the exhaust... :teehee:

Glad to hear you're safe! I agree, some people should not be allowed to drive. Too bad stupidity isn't a criminal offense!

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Too bad stupidity isn't a criminal offense!

There simply isn't enough room for that many prisons.

Stiney
04-14-2007, 10:41 AM

But then you'd have to clean up the exhaust... :teehee:

:roflhard: