PDA

View Full Version : Firefly/Serenity Bag

PCwombat
04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Some of the lovely yarn I got from my swap is WotA Maple Syrup and Pumpkin (there are pics in the swap thread). I want to make a felted messenger bag out of it, and I decided that I would follow a pattern but make my own chart.

Well, I was thinking of something to put on it, and decided that a quote from Firefly or Serenity would be awesome, especially because of the brown colors. So, I came up with three quote ideas, and was hoping you guys can pick which one sounds best.

I want one that is a good quote even if you never saw the tv show or movie. So, even if you have no idea what Firefly is, please vote.

Also, if you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate any input.

nadja la claire
04-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I voted for "Can't stop the signal" They other 2 are a little too "fuzzy" for me.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Stiney
04-13-2007, 03:08 PM
What, no "THIS is what going mad feels like" or "The Hero of Canton, the Man they call Jayne"?

:roflhard:

simplethings
04-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I just started watching Firefly about 4 days ago. I love it! Can't wait to finish the series and watch Serenity.
I like the "can't take the sky away" quote the most. I'm not really sure where the "signal" quote is from... do I need to finish the series to understand? or watch the movie?

Stiney
04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
I just started watching Firefly about 4 days ago. I love it! Can't wait to finish the series and watch Serenity.
I like the "can't take the sky away" quote the most. I'm not really sure where the "signal" quote is from... do I need to finish the series to understand? or watch the movie?

Watch the movie. You never read this thread. :zombie:

I actually voted for "I'm a leaf on the wind, watch me soar." Firefly fans get the joke/reference, but it's nice besides the joke/reference.

RiverDaughter
04-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Personally, I would go with "I'll be in my bunk", "The chain of command!", or my favorite "Juggling Geese". :cheering:

What pattern are you using to make the bag? A friend of mine wants a messenger bag for a costume, and can't find one anywhere, and I refuse to lend her mine (a canvas/leather/survived the end of the world bag).

syndactylus
04-13-2007, 03:24 PM
how about: They weren't cows inside, they were waiting to be but they forgot. Now they see sky and remember what they are.
or just the first sentence or the second.

or I vote for the sky I guess.
but I like the non sequiturs best.

PCwombat
04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks so far! I think I'm gonna wind up going with the leaf quote, but who knows, I might use the other ones on other stuff eventually.

Ah, Firefly, so many wonderful quotes. I do love the "I'll be in my bunk," but, if you don't know the show, it's so random. And, if you do know the show, then, yeah, :teehee:.

As for the pattern, I think I may have to make up my own. I figure it shouldn't be too hard. Just, a bottom, and then pick up stitches for the front, pick up stitches for the back. Then make two sides and sew them on. Also, instead of a flap, I'm gonna try to figure out how to add a zipper. There's a pattern in SnB nation that I'm using for inspiration.

zazzu
04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I like "You can't take the sky from me" because it's in the lyric of the Firefly theme. It really applies to everyone in the 'Verse.

SPOILER TO FOLLOW....STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SERENITY!!

REALLY! STOP READING IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN SERENITY!!!

Okay, I personally don't care for the "leaf on the wind" quote because it's part of a dying man's speech. It makes me too sad to think about that man's death. :pout: This is just me.

lostchyld
04-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I like the Leaf on the Wind, but that's because the entire mentality really defines me.

River probably has some good lines that would work too...

brownishcoat
04-17-2007, 01:06 PM
My problem would be narrowing quotes down to 3! :rofl:

Edited to add: The absence of "You know, your coat is kind of a brownish color…," makes me sad. :pout:

cathoo
04-17-2007, 01:29 PM
What about "And we shall call it... THIS LAND"

I voted for "You can't take the sky from me" because it sums up the show so well.

(Anyone watching Drive? Nathan Fillion!!!!)

DianaM
04-17-2007, 01:38 PM
so many Firefly quotes, so hard to choose.

I'm just two pompoms away from finishing matching Jayne hats for me and the bf. He's already excited about getting his :teehee:

Here's som Firefly quotes (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Firefly) :teehee:

Quiara
04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Personally, I'd use "Also? I can kill you with my brain."

brownishcoat
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
(Anyone watching Drive? Nathan Fillion!!!!)

Well, DUH!!! :teehee:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Kirochka
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
"Pretty cunning, doncha think?" works for me! :teehee: But in fact there are so many fabulous lines to use, I can't narrow it down.

Attached: DH in his Jayne hat. I tend to post this in all Firefly-related threads... because it's just so shiny.

brownishcoat
04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
"Man walks down the street in a hat like that…you know he's not scared of anything!"

Shiny Jerry! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Kirochka
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
:teehee: Well, he hasn't actually walked outside anywhere at all with that hat on yet! (Mostly I wear it when watching TV if it's cold in the living room! And man, is it scratchy!) But last night I asked him if he was going to wear it to the Buffy Sing-along, and he said he might! :teehee:

PCwombat
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Ohh, Firefly, soooo many good quotes, so little knitting time. I was considering "I can kill you with my brain" but figured if people didn't know the show, it might be slightly awkward.

I decided to do the leaf one, even though I think I might be insane. This is the first time I've done colorwork that isn't just stripes, and add in the fact that I'm working off of a chart I made. Slightly, very much, difficult. But, I figure that it's going to get felted and if any stitches look really wonky, I can just duplicate stitch over them.

Kirochka
04-17-2007, 04:05 PM
You must post photos when it's done!

As for people who don't know Firefly not understanding a quote... it just means they'll need to get curious about it, look it up, search out its source... and get sucked into the Verse!

zazzu
04-17-2007, 04:12 PM
I forgot to mention one of my faves.....

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!"

And, since we're dorks, DH and I always say, "Shiny!"

Kirochka
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Sort of related... DH and I are walking around singing "It must be bunnies!" these days... :teehee:

DianaM
04-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Finished the hat. Bf dropped by to say hi and I promptly crowned him with a cunning hat. He posed, crutches and all, for my enjoyment :heart:

PCwombat
04-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Awww! I love both of the Jayne hat pictures. My second project, and first hat, was a Jayne hat. So easy and quick to make. And, so rewarding.

Kirochka
04-18-2007, 08:29 AM
:cheering: :cheering: