PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Made Money Selling Patterns?

Arielluria
04-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Is there any money in selling patterns? What are most popular? How do you go about it?

brokenblossoms
04-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Not a cent. :shrug:

Eloewien
04-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I would love to... I want to try designing some cable-knit felted bags at some point...

Eloewien
04-14-2007, 12:58 AM
And this is an all the more fitting reply now that I know where my wonderful new yarn came from ;)

Arielluria
04-14-2007, 09:23 AM
And this is an all the more fitting reply now that I know where my wonderful new yarn came from ;) :happydance:

I've never seen a felted cable pattern, have you already made one? I'd love to see a pic.

Jan in CA
04-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Wouldn't a felted cable lose a lot of detail? I'm not sure I'd want to felt anything that requires more than garter or stockinette in the round. :?? :teehee:

Oh and to comment on your question, Lu...I don't think there is a lot of money to made on patterns unless you're Lucy Chin or EZ, but I'm sure you could make some extra bucks...you'd probably have to have a lot of patterns though to make it worthwhile.

I know from experience that writing them isn't all that easy either! There's a lot involved getting someone else to understand what you mean.... :teehee:

marykz
04-14-2007, 01:58 PM
IMHO I don't see a lot of peope paying lots for patterns. I do buy patterns occasionally, and the odd book here and there. I think a lot of knitters rely on the free patterns and tutorials. Plus, once someone figures out how to "design around" your pattern, and lets it out free, people will find it.

But, when I do buy patterns, I want:
a tested pattern

at least 2 good high quality pictures one of the finished item, and one of some particularly tricky step or design feature.

well written, clear instructions with a mimimum of bizarre abbreviations, charts are good, line by line is good too.

a glossary for your terms

yarn substitutions and gauge

When I buy a pattern on line, like from etsy or someone's website, I also want to know that I can ask questions without being ignored or talked down to.

I think if you seriously want to pursue getting paid for patterns- start by submitting them to magazines, websites, books to get that name recognition. get them tested by your friends to make sure they work. and don't by shy- promote yourself and your work where you can.

I'm sure you will get other ideas of what you should do... hope this helps, MKZ

Quiltlady
04-14-2007, 03:41 PM
I do buy patterns occasionally but I know that many people trade or copy off extra copies which is so WRONG. I've been asked if I would make a copy for someone and I always say NO ...you can buy the pattern. I think there would be a lot more money made if people obeyed the copyright laws. :!!!:

rebecca
04-14-2007, 05:09 PM
I've sold the rights to one design for a year and I didn't make a lot of $, but it was well worth the experience as a one time gig (fyi, I did have to have a test knitter and it happened to be a a knitter who was published and she is the one who taught me to write patterns.)! Unless you are well known, you don't make a lot of $. I've had a yarn shop owner offer to sell my patterns on an individual basis and give me.....something like $.75 - $1 per sale! I'm very happy with providing my designs online for free and stipulate in the patterns that they are for personal, nonprofit use. In other words, please don't sell your FO or my designs. Although, you can copyright (which is a gray area in this field), watermark, and state these things on your designs, there are and always will be those individuals who decide to do what you ask that they not! Such is life, I love to offer my designs for free for all of the knitters who are trustworthy (which are the majority!) and enjoy them.
I was emailed by a yarn shop owner (the one who offered to give me the dollar) who told me that there are yarn shop owners all over that steal free designs on the web, call them their own, put the pattern on nice cardstock, print out your picture and sell them, she then assured me that she wasn't one of those people. I emailed her back (very nice reply) and never heard from her again...which, of course, made me wonder if she were the one stealing free designs! :oops: Sorry to have hijacked your topic.....all that to say, no, you don't really make alot of $ unless you are well known, LOL!
BUT, it's a LOT of fun to design and it's so nice, so very, very nice when someone tells you that he/she enjoys your design...that makes it all worthwhile...that is something that money can't buy!

Eloewien
04-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Here's the design that gave me the idea of felted cables...

http://spunmag.com/article/060421cleo

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to play with a design of my own... yet... give me about 2-3 more weeks to finish my current project and get my brain going, and we'll see what happens.

Jan in CA
04-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Here's the design that gave me the idea of felted cables...

http://spunmag.com/article/060421cleo

Oh! That's very pretty! A little detail is lost, but it still looks very pretty!

Arielluria
04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Niiiiice! I thought the cable detail would be totally lost, but it's NOT! Is there a trick to that?

Julie
04-15-2007, 01:25 PM
This cabled, felted backpack was one of the ifrst patterns I ever saw on the Knitpicks site: Backpack (http://www.knitpicks.com/Felted+Backpack_PD50358220.html)

Eloewien
04-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I think it just softens the cables... I really like how they look in that design, but I want to try something more complex... I'm just trying to finish at least one of my many projects before I dive into that, and I want to wait until my next payday to buy the stitchionary... though I don't know if I can wait that long ;)

Arielluria
04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
This cabled, felted backpack was one of the ifrst patterns I ever saw on the Knitpicks site: Backpack (http://www.knitpicks.com/Felted+Backpack_PD50358220.html)
<loud squeals> too cute!!!!!!!!! Would look cuter with a Shih Tzu in it though ;). I love that and will have to make it!

Arielluria
04-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Can you felt "chunky" yarn?