PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy patterns???

CarmenIbanez
04-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I really am interested to see how many of us purchase patterns and in what different ways we do it?

Vendie
04-13-2007, 09:44 PM
If I see a pattern I like, I buy it, almost regardless of the source. Typically, in order for me to buy a book, I need to like at least two patterns in it or be inspired by it in some way. Single patterns I purchase at whim...like Cookie A.'s sock pattern. Love free patterns too, but I'm definitely not exclusive to them. I like to support the designers I've grown to love.

Andrea
04-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I probably am about half and half...well, no, maybe 40/60. 40 being free patterns. I buy a lot of books, I subscribe to IK (but have never made something from it), and I've bought several online patterns. I also buy patterns from LYS.

If I like it, I don't care if I have to pay for it! :shrug:

hunterjenn
04-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm a sucker for patterns in books, but if I see one online that I like, I buy it. Especially if I have to have it absolutely-right-this-second-NOW! Only if I can download it, though. If I have to wait for it to come in the mail, I'll go to the LYS instead.

Stiney
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I voted "anywhere." I haven't ACTUALLY bought a pattern yet, but there are several from Cookie that are calling my name.

Stiney
04-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Wait, I did buy KnitScene JUST for the Central Park Hoodie. :rofl:

Eloewien
04-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I buy patterns if I want to... I buy magazines if there is a patter I want... but I also love free pattern websites. If I find a pattern I really want, I will most definately support the designer!

Susan P.
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I didn't vote because I wasn't sure which category I would use. I buy pattern books sometimes from a knitting manufacturer e.g. Patons or Cleckheaton. I buy these in yarn and/or craft stores. I want to buy a pattern online available in the US but have never done that before and I've never bought a knitting 'book' as such along the lines I see people show or describe them here.

brendajos
04-13-2007, 10:21 PM
While I love a good freebie and use the free patterns most frequently, I will buy a pattern if I like it. I will rarely buy one that has to be shipped though... I want download patterns! :!!!:

What I don't understand is people who think it is wrong for a designer to charge for their patterns. I have found that often (not always!) the patterns that i have paid for are better written, have fewer errors, and have better customer service if i do have a question. (this doesn't so much apply to books really since a lot of book patterns have a lot of errors and sometimes finding errata can be very difficult.) It's only fair to pay the designer for their work AND it helps support the fiber arts industries! :cheering:

SandraEllen
04-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I buy them from all places, but i find that some people want way more $ than i think their pattern is worth to me.
$5 is the MAX that i think is reasonable for a pattern (and sometimes that is too high).

brendajos
04-13-2007, 10:57 PM
oooh yeah, $5 is about the top for me too but I have paid $14 for "one" pattern from Little Turtle Knits. I say "one" because it has a LOT of variations and is extremely well written. :D

orcoastknitter
04-13-2007, 11:13 PM
The last time I bought a pattern was last summer when a LYS was going out of business and all their patterns were 50% off.

I have a subscription to Kint Simple, but haven't made anything out of it yet.

redwitch
04-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I have a folder full of many patterns, but I've only bought about three, ones that take my fancy strongly: why pay for a pattern when there's Google to send you to free patterns for everything, unless it is a beautiful pattern and you really want it? I don't often see patterns for sale that I want enough to buy.
Exceptions: Eunny's Anemoi mittens, Sahara top, a cabled sock pattern, and a HeartStrings lace cowl smoke ring.
Sarah

Jan in CA
04-13-2007, 11:27 PM
If I see a pattern I really like I buy it.

dustinac
04-14-2007, 09:14 AM
I think I'm addicted to buying patterns as well as yarn.. if I see one I like I will buy it.. I agree though I love when you can just download them and not have them shipped but if its a pattern I really want I will pay shipping.. usually just add a few more for some reason not sure why when I'd save money if I didn't :teehee:

I also have tons of free ones too...and books... :rofl:

Sara
04-14-2007, 10:34 AM
I WOULD buy patterns on-line, but I don't have paypal or a credit card. And I really don't want to have either of them, so I would like an option to send a check or money order. Downloads are fine.

mwedzi
04-14-2007, 10:52 AM
What I don't understand is people who think it is wrong for a designer to charge for their patterns. I have found that often (not always!) the patterns that i have paid for are better written, have fewer errors, and have better customer service if i do have a question. (this doesn't so much apply to books really since a lot of book patterns have a lot of errors and sometimes finding errata can be very difficult.) It's only fair to pay the designer for their work AND it helps support the fiber arts industries! :cheering:

ditto.

i buy from all sources.

KnitClickChick
04-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I have never bought individual patterns. On occasion I will get a knitting magazine if there is something in there that catches my eye, but I have yet to actually make the item I got the magazine for! I like to go to the library for my knitting books because there are usually only one or two patterns I really like, and I'm too cheap to pay $25 + for the whole book when I only want one pattern from it. :oops:

Inis
04-14-2007, 10:49 PM
I think I'm addicted to buying patterns as well as yarn.. if I see one I like I will buy it.. I agree though I love when you can just download them and not have them shipped but if its a pattern I really want I will pay shipping.. usually just add a few more for some reason not sure why when I'd save money if I didn't :teehee:

I also have tons of free ones too...and books... :rofl:

Me, too. I'm a pattern junkie and have a 6 shelf bookcase full to prove it -- LOL. Also, I have a folder on my desktop for downloading free and purchased patterns.

edit to mention: BTW, I have so many patterns that 10 lifetimes wouldn't be enough time to complete them all. I'm sick I tell you!

Duckling326
04-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I have a 2" binder for my patterns that I mainly bought from my LYS, mostly Knitting Pure and Simple, my LYS patterns that she designed and some Fiber Trends. I also put in patterns I got from the net. Patterns from kits as well. I only have two books, my MIL buys books so I'll borrow hers lol.

dustinac
04-14-2007, 11:30 PM
[quote="InisMe, too. I'm a pattern junkie and have a 6 shelf bookcase full to prove it -- LOL. Also, I have a folder on my desktop for downloading free and purchased patterns.

edit to mention: BTW, I have so many patterns that 10 lifetimes wouldn't be enough time to complete them all. I'm sick I tell you![/quote]

:cheering: Yay!! I'm not alone :rofl: I'm always having to buy new binders and protective sheets lol...

I do go to the library to check books out first.. I don't have a book store near me and this way I can bring it home look through it and then go from there.. if I do really like the book I will buy it though.. if not then I saved myself some money..

Jeremy
04-15-2007, 01:18 AM
I get them from all sources. My two most frequent sources are the internet and books.

XbelovedXoneX
04-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I primarily use free, but have bought a few patterns both online and from a LYS. The patterns I buy I have to LOVE and have the yarn already for them. But I looove me some knitting books and mags. But those are usually just eye candy for me. :teehee: